Oxford, OH
Miami University-Oxford

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Miami University-Oxford

Jesse

The best thing about Miami is the small town atmosphere, although I wish there were more diverse people for a broader experience. At times the school seems too small, although I like it. People are usually impressed academically by Miami, although not so much culturally. I spend most of my time on campus working with student organizations, off campus in my home, or uptown. It's 100% a college town. Miami's administration is fine and friendly, but can seem disconnected from students in spite of our small town. A big recent controversy was in an art project that was displayed on campus that supposedly used nooses. There is little school pride. Miami is unusual because of its homogenous atmosphere. One experience I'll always remember is standing at convocation with all the new freshman this year as a member of student government. It was very moving.

At times they can be accurate, and some people come to the school because they are these things, but there are many types of people of all kinds as well.

Some professors know your name depending on how much you decide to interact with them. My favorite classes are literature and writing, and least favorite were sciences. Students study regularly. I am a mass communications major.

Miami students are stuck up, rich, snobby, and have everything handed to them.

Shawn

The best thing: women one thing to change: frat life Size: just right reaction: are you on the beach? (refering to miami, florida) time on campus: bedroom College town Miami adminstration: trying to attack drinking controversy: racism school pride: whats our mascot? experience: the bars complaints: getting written up

not to much racial diversity, most people are upper middle class or upper class emo kids would feel out of place people get dressed up for class students that are not in frats have trouble interacting with other students four tables: athletes, frat, nerds, and stoners most students are from chicago, cleveland, cinncinati, columbus most people come from wealthy families or at least well to do i think most students are not politically aware. i would say most people are liberal students talk about how much they will earn alot

professors: dont know my name class: favorite broomball least ACC 222 study: all the time Participation: some classes but yes for the most part competition: alot unique class: broomball major: finance is difficult and just b-school is hard to get into

frats i am involved in cac, my board tries to get people to go to our sporting events students have there doors closed if i am awake i am probably drunk or high hockey is huge we had collin powell never been to a play we having a saying something about people marry there college girlfriend here i meet my friends in my dorm last year frat stuff people party alot frat huge i got wasted and went to the bars not drinking, then getting high

Preppy, skinny white bitches, hot ass girls, fratastic

Harper

The best thing about Miami is that it is Miami. You can love it and hate it at the exact same time for a million different reasons, but it will always be Miami. On days where I want to burn this place down, sometimes there are just small things that make me love this place. One thing I would change is the death of Western. One of the best programs Miami had was WESTERN and they killed it. Dumb fucking choice. Western kids were some of the happiest people on this campus. They had more drive, character, opinions, community, and direction that most other people on this campus. They didn't go to college because they needed a college degree, they came here for WESTERN and now their college is DEAD. That leaves many students with and empty major... no more professors, no more requirements, NOTHING... just a couple years of hard work and a couple more filled with only questions. That leads me to another problem we have: ignorance. There's people here who have no idea what is going on within or outside this school and it is just sad. I think Miami is oddly the perfect size. It is really big (I think), but I can walk literally across the street and see at least 3 people I know. When I go to a party I meet at least on person who has been in class with me. It is quite rare for me to be a room and have never seen their face before. I think people do not give Miami enough credit for being a good school. Many people (esp. in Ohio) look at it as a saftey school, but we have some of the best professors who decided to come here over whatever other school they could have gone to. We also have some of the best job opportunities and alumni. I spend most my time in my friends' rooms. Besides that I am usually in class. The college town here is pretty weak. Oxford is alright, but for us it consists of about one short street. They are still continously expanding, so it's looking better. It would just be nicer if we had some more stores (ex: small bookstore/coffee shop, thrift store, just random hang outs that aren't alcohol or food). Miami's administration can be alright. President Hodge is a great new change, but sometimes they are just awful. They can be so blind and stuck in their ways that they don't give any real thought to anything. They are too obessessed with this "Diversity" bullshit that they overlook the diversity they already have and are basically opening the floodgates to anyone who wants to go here. Also another dumb choice was the cancelation of Western, and his stupid future plans that don't make sense. He could have saved Western and didn't. Shame.

I wish Miami had a wider spectrum of people. We have a lot of representation from various minorites/social groups but it is in individuals, not groups. I guess I just wish that I could double our minority groups here. If there were more LGBT, Jewish, Muslim, international, Arab, Swedish, broke--- anything, it would just be more interesting and something better that the WASPs that flood this school. Students wear anything to class, but usually look good. Even the people who rolled out of bed, rolled out and looked in the mirror before walking out the door. There is not as much interaction beetween various social groups on this campus. For example, on this campus there is Greek, and then black Greek. Why? You tell me. Miami is said to be predominantly republican, but we have a fairly strong liberal and politically active community.

Yes these stereotypes are accurate, but not for the entire student body. There are students like this, but not everyone... not even the majority. There are many people here who struggle to pay their tution on their own, there are people here who do not drink, and I think I am correct in saying that a majority of people here do not actually wear J.Crew (I have never bought anything from them...sorry). Besides a hand full of dumb people that should be thrown off the top of a building, the students here are very smart and hard-working. We work our asses off to get what we want and that gets us far--- not daddy's money. We may sometimes act like we are the shit (and that goes for everyone: rich, poor, greek, non-greek), but everyone is still able to stay grounded.

Every semester I usually have 3 classes where I know my professor and 2 where I do not. My favortie class so for was Political Geography with Carl Dahlman. He is an amazing person and professor. I hated both classes I had in Pearson: MBI 131... prof was a fat bitch and BOT 131... Alfredo Huerta expects way too much from 200 students who couldn't give a shit about botany. Students study fairly often and if not, when it comes time to study, we study hard. Even though there is never a dry moment on this campus (literally... someone is always drinking), we get our shit done. If I got trashed on Thursday, it means I finished all my work for Friday on Wednesday. Students are fairly competitive. We are all striving for really good jobs/internships, so yes we are very competitive. I wish there was more intellectual discussion outside of class. It is present in my friends' and my conversations and with others, but it should happen more often. I love both my departments and all the professors in them. They have all been amazing. My most unique class has been the Western class I am taking, and and upper level IES class. Miami Plan is great in theory, but not in practice. If Miami gave us more leeway to what classes to use to fill our requirements, I'm sure it would be better for everyone. My friend took a geology class in Israel this summer and for some reason they won't let her use it to fill a physical science credit. So she took a class abroad like they asked her too, but now they won't let her use the credit? DUMB Many of my classes are for learning's sake, but will be used in upper level classes, and then applied to a job. I hear the bussiness school is basically all memorization and training for a job one day. That sucks I guess.

We need more attendance at athletic events, speakers, theatre, everything. Too much student apathy. Miami brings some of the best speakers and it is too often that students will not know about it or read about it the next day and wish they had gone. If I am awake on a Tuesday at 2am (always) I am studying. I met almost all my friends through living on my freshman quad, and then we just met people through each other. TOO MUCH GREEK. It makes you want to vomit.

Stereotypes about Miami and it's students is that everyone here is rich, wears J.Crew, spends daddy's money like it grows on trees, drinks all the time, and that everyone is a dumb sorority girl/ frat guy. People who don't go to Miami think that we strut around thinking we are the shit.

Brandon

The hockey team. Increase diversity. just right. positive insight (oh that school is tough to get into). athletic events or hall auditorium. college town. Miami administration is mediocre. 'train deaths/death of sigma nu frat brother'. Not enough school pride! People dont go to enough athletic events, and I find that unusual. 2 in 22 will always remember that. Not entirely sure if there are any...too many people are stuck up and dont care.

Yes. MKT435. MGT302. Daily. Yes. Yes. Yes. Women's studies - understanding relationships. Marketing major - love the classes. Spend some time with professors outside the class. I HATE MIAMI PLAN! NOT NEEDED. If i am paying for an education, i should be able to choose the exact curriculum that I desire to have. A combination of both.

Frats and Sororities. Glee club, any varsity sports team, remnants, cheezies. Im in Cheezies and Glee club, I sing and perform for many people in and around the campus area, not to mention i will be performing in China in June. Yes. People dont attend athletic events enough. Guest speakers ( only for class) theater...as most students would say on this campus...we have a theater??? Dating scene...try one night stands, or long distance relationships. I am personally not like that, and have had a girlfriend that I love and adore here at miami for nearly 11 months. I met my closest friends through extracurriculars, or at athletic events. Im usually with my girlfriend, or just browsing the web. Green beer day. Way too much. Fraternities and sororities...are just an excuse to haze people. Last weekend, I spent time with my gorgeous girlfriend, and her other field hockey teammates; I also went to Valporaso to watch the Miami B-ball team play a double overtime game for the bracket buster. You can go bowling, see a movie, just have friends hang out, go to shriver, go to cinci or hamilton. I work out, play basketball, hang with friends.

All females are anorexic. Blonde females. 'fratastic' guys preppy

Patrick

Miami really caters to its undergraduate students. There are literally several hundred great club sports teams and other groups to join. Being involved in these groups is much cheaper and easier to join than at other schools. Miami is a really comfortable, fun and beautiful place to spend your college years. School pride is lacking when it comes to athletics with the exception of Miami Hockey. Miami's new president David Hodge seems focused on putting Miami in the national spotlight and improving all aspects of college life here.

Few students wear pajamas to class. Almost everyone comes dressed in at least jeans and a t shirt. The freshman year living learning community you choose has a big effect on what type of people you meet. So if you are looking to meet a very diverse group than it would be wise to live in the diversity dorm. If you like sports than the physical fitness dorm would suit you. There is a community for every type of person which is really nice.

Miami is a great place to get your undergraduate education. Also, there are tons and tons of study abroad opportunities. Name a destination and Miami will set you up for a semester there.

Miami has all types of students. It's more homogeneous than most schools but the stereotype is overblown.

Most professors are very good and it is really easy to meet with them during their office hours. My favorite class is ECON 321 The Structure of American Industry. Miami is building a huge new business school building and has recently renovated its engineering facilities.

I met all of my closest friends in my first year residence hall but a lot of people make friends through the many clubs and groups on campus. If you're awake at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday you are probably on facebook. People seem to go out 2-3 times per week. There are those who go more than that and those who rarely go at all. Fraternaties and soroities are pretty popular but it's not necessary to be in one. Last weekend I traveled to Madison, WI for a club tennis tournament. If you're not drinking on a Saturday night you could rent a movie, go uptown for coffee, see a play, take a walk, hang out with friends, or go to the rec. You can do pretty much the same things as you would at any other midwestern school. Off campus there are some great hiking trails really close by as well as Hueston Woods state park.

The stereotype that you always hear is that Miami is a preppy school filled with upper middle class white kids.

Mel

Miami isn't too big but it certainly isn't too small. It is a school of 16,000 undergraduate students situated in a town (Oxford) of 10,000 permanent residents. Based around a liberal arts philosophy, Miami works to ensure a well rounded and balanced education.

As 1/3 of Miami's student body population is involved with the Greek system and 25% of the student body has parents making over $200,000/year, I would concur with the stereotypes to a certain degree. Nevertheless, even people falling into stereotypical categories are people with varying backgrounds, belief systems, and aspirations. Miami is consciously working to increase levels of (visual) diversity on campus while recognizing the importance of intellectual diversity within a community. And, thankfully, the number of members in College Democrats is steadily increasing.

Of course professors know my name! Personally, I have never been in a class of more than 50 students and my average class size is probably 20-25 people. Students take studying pretty seriously but they also know how to balance their work with their play. The administration and faculty at Miami really has a vested interest in each student's educational and professional success. Everyone helps everyone else whether is be getting into a class or finding an internship or getting a job. One of the best departments within Miami is its Career Center.

THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO AT MIAMI UNIVERSITY!!!!! The sense of community at Miami is amazing and if you're ever bored, I swear, it's your own fault. There are over 350 student organizations (and if you can't find one you like, feel free to start your own). On the weekends, there are hella parties off campus, if you're into that kinda thing. If not, there are several different types of social gatherings around campus or students can just hang out in their residence halls, which is always fun. Whatever you want to do, you can probably do it, seriously.

Miami University carries similar stereotypes to that of any Greek system. Such stereotypes include the belief that all girls are super hott, all guys are in fraternities and drink excessively, and everyone is conservative, white and rich.

Channing

The first time I came to Miami, I fell in love with the campus immediately. It's absolutely beautiful--Robert Frost called it the most beautiful campus in the nation. I tend to agree. I have a lot of my classes on our Western campus, and even though it is pretty much the opposite end of the world from the rest of my life, I love going back there, especially in the fall and spring. It's beautiful--the paths and trees, the flowers and the pond with the swans. People may say that there is too much sameness with all of the brick buildings here, built to match and compliment one another, but I think it adds something really charming to our campus. Probably one of the worst and best things about Miami is that it is really set apart from everything else. I mean, granted, Ohio is not exactly the picture of bustling, big cities, but we can hold our own. But in Oxford, we are about 45 minutes outside of Cincinnati, surrounded on all sides by farmland. It's the middle of nowhere, and sometimes, you feel like you are trapped in what is affectionately called "The Bubble." But it's also really great to be immersed in this college atmosphere, with our Uptown full of restaurants and bars to fit our lifestyle. I do wish Miami had more school spirit. Our sports aren't great overall, and coming from Columbus, where Ohio State is King, there is a noticable lack of school pride. That being said, I was surprised to find the hockey craze that took over this winter. People camped outside our ice center--literally camped, in tents, overnight, sorority girls, no less. Their mission: to get good seats for the game. So maybe we are just selectively spirited. My best, ultimately amazing, coolest experience here was my time on our Luxembourg campus in Europe. Luxembourg is a tiny country in between France and Germany, and although beautiful, is certainly uniquely its own place, to say the least. But in my four and a half months in Europe, I had the absolute best time of my life. I learned so much about myself, about people, about traveling, and I miss it every day. It was incredible. I definitely encourage anyone and everyone to go abroad--you learn so much more than you ever could in a classroom, you make incredible friends, you get to see the world! All the cliches of course, but in this sense, they're absolutely true, and they are memories that will last forever. People are either impressed or put off by the fact that I go to Miami. They have heard the stereotypes, of both academics and students, and so depending on which ones they heard, I get an either/or reaction. But, Miami is my home now, a place where I've really learned so many things--more than just academically, and in spite of its faults, something every university, every place on earth has, it is a really great place to spend 4+ years and I would not have done it anywhere else. Well, maybe somewhere where it was a bit warmer. But other than that...

As I said before, we have many stereotypes assigned to our student body, largely having to do with diversity (or lack thereof) and wealth. Many of the students here do come from some money, and they hail from the four "C's": Chicago, Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland. They wear Northfaces, Uggs and Seven jeans, and they pop their collars. Seriously, I had a definite issue with this when I first started going here. I mean, I still do at times. To be honest, people do look the same, and some people feel pressure to spend outside their means to fit in. Technically, 1/3 of the student body is in the Greek community--meaning sororities and fraternities, but it seems like the entire student body is in one or the other. I am not, and it was really difficult Freshman year, when all my friends joined, and I felt like the odd man out. But, if you're lucky, you find people who become your best friends, and in the end, it really does not matter what you do extracurricularly. I mean, sometimes, it probably does. Which sucks. But I lucked out, and yes, there are times when I am really just over the sorority stuff. Working at a Market where rude sorority girls come in all the time, it gets tiring. But I have definitely come down off of my high horse in the past two years and realized that just because someone is in a sorority, does NOT mean they are wealthy, stuck up broads. It's a give and take--there really are all different types of people here, if not racially diverse, we certainly do have our political and social diversity. Enough of it, anyway. It's certainly no OSU, but it's Miami, uniquely its own, and I have learned to love the good and the bad.

I guess the thing I really want to express about Miami is to not get bogged down in the image. Looking on the surface, it is easy to see why Miami is labeled so harshly. But college, any college really, is absolutely what you make it. And despite the fact that this is so very cliche, you really have to just stick to who you are, and as long as you do that, you'll find out where you fit into the campus. Like I said, I really did not want to go Greek, but all my friends did. It was really crushing--as an 18-year-old, sitting alone in my room, suddenly without the friends I felt like I had just settled in with. It was really lonely for awhile, because they all had other things to do. But eventually, when things calmed down, the people who really were there to stay, came back. And two years later, I live with three of the people I met in my Freshman dorm, and have lived with since. They're my best friends, and we all have our separate activities, our separate paths; I went to Europe, some of them stayed in Oxford, some of us have jobs together, others don't. It really doesn't matter, because in the end, I did what I wanted to do, tried out things I was interested in, and found out that Miami fit me just as well as it fit the sorority girl. So, I guess, in parting, do try to look deeper, and see that even if we aren't so diverse on the surface, there is more to us than just the clothes. And Uggs, after all, aren't really so bad.

Even after coming to Miami, I sometimes struggle to look past the stereotypes. It's true, most people own at least one Northface clothing item, one pair of Ugg boots, and designer jeans. That can be daunting--especially coming from a town where some people definitely did have the expensive clothes, but others shopped at thrift stores. More importantly, my high school was very diverse, and I grew up around all different personalities; Miami is not exactly the picture of diversity. But something I have learned in my time here is that you really do have to look past the image. Because Miami, at first glance, seems to be all about image. But there really is no much more beneath the surface.

Academics at Miami are definitely at a different level than other universities. This really is not to put them down, but more of a warning. This is a place where many of the top people from different schools all over the country come, and we are one of the Top Seven Public Ivys in the nation--so naturally, that comes with a bit more than the usual pressure. Luckily, I was kind of ready when I came here to work hard, but some of my friends had a tough transition from high school work to college. Miami is fast-paced, and its professors often expect a lot of you, but they push and get results. I have learned so much--and I really do feel that my "liberal arts education" is well-rounded. I started out a Mass Communications major and switched midway to English Literature--something I'm really passionate about, and many ask me what it will amount to after graduation. Honestly, I'm still not sure, but I love my classes--and I find that my friends who are in majors they love really learn so much and have so much passion for whatever they will do with it. That being said, we also have a really top-notch business school, and the pre-med program is pretty tough, but very good. I have had mostly great professors, some really amazing, and most of my classes have been small enough that I am able to get to know them. In fact, I have taken some professors a few times, because I liked them so much and learned so much from them. Most of the professors I have come into contact with are really willing to help students, and many actually want to get to know you. I haven't spent a ton of time with them outside of class, but the ones I have are really great people. It's cool because you feel more comfortable in classes where you like the professors, and tend to get more out of them. Even President Hodge seems pretty nice; I have actually been to his house, where he let Campus Crusade for Christ have a holiday party. He is also really interested in what students have to say, and when he came to visit us in Luxembourg, he told us to call him, email him and tell him what we want, what our concerns were, and he seemed really willing to listen and help. All of this being said, I have to say that everyone here, myself included, complain, seriously despise the "Miami Plan." This is the creation of the administration, in an attempt to give us all a well-rounded education. It's basic education requirements, only there are a lot of them, and it takes a long time to finish, so long in fact, that it can begin to interfere with the classes you want/need for your major(s) and/or minor(s). For instance, I am a junior, and I still have Miami Plan requirements that I will be fulfilling next year, as a senior. It, very simply, sucks. However, to be fair, every college has some form of basic education requirements, and many of your major/minor classes can fulfill some of these, and visa versa. However, it is still the bane of every Miami student's existence.

Partying is big--people lovvvve their parties here. Sororities and fraternities are constantly having some party or another, and people are always having house parties. It was kind of overwhelming at first; I did not come to school a partier and really have not turned into a "partier," but I definitely enjoy going out. This isn't New York City, so don't expect a really hot club scene, but there are a good number of places, and people have their favorites. Some of the bars are 21 and up, so that kind of sucks for the younger crowd, but there are still a good number of places for them. Brick Street, Stadium, Pachinko's and 45 East are good for dancing, 18 and up. Skipper's is the bar everyone goes to--at all hours, and their outdoor patio is usually full of people. We've got some great restaurants open late too, for the hungry...and often inebriated crowd. Bagel and Deli is a favorite--great bagel sandwiches. Bruno's sells pizzas on the sidewalk outside their restaurant on the weekends, making it more accessible to the people on their way after going out. You can also get take out calzones from D.P. Dough, apparently really great when you've had a few drinks. I personally love dancing, so if I'm uptown, it's usually at 45 East. The dance floor is a little less clautrophobic, and you can go downstairs if you need a break. It's also easier to request songs. Brick Street is a classic--and on Mondays, they have karaoke, which is always fun. Uptown bars usually have local bands playing on the weekends, which is cool for a different kind of vibe. If you don't want to dance, you can always go to Kofenya, which is a coffee shop uptown that has local acts playing acoustic on the weekends. They also have board games and great paninis if you want a more chill atmosphere one night. A lot of people come here during the week to study as well. There are also more non-drinking activities, although you can do pretty much any of these things and still have a blast sober. But they do offer "AfterDark," which is movie screenings on Friday nights, or other events, like concerts that come to our student center on the weekends. The most popular extracurricular on campus is Greek life. No matter how small the community supposedly is, it's everywhere on campus. But there is also the theater crowd, musicians, both singers and instrumentalists, and a lot of great writing organizations. I used to write for an on-campus magazine, MQ, which is mostly opinion/columns of things students are interested in. Miami does bring in a lot of guest speakers, and they are generally pretty popular, ranging from former Speakers of the House to authors doing readings of their books. There really are a lot of things to do on campus, and if you aren't interested in Greek life, you just have to dig a little deeper to find your fit.

Before I came to Miami, I didn't know much about the university, and I was essentially dead set against it. It was in Ohio and I was pretty sure I wanted to go to school out of state. Also, I had heard that Miami was a school full of snobs, people who all dressed the same, talked the same and were, pretty much, the same. They were perfect, or at least they seemed to be, and perfection is hard to measure up to. It was called the J Crew U--a place peopled with popped collars, Northface Jackets, Ugg boots and the latest one I have heard, "Barbies and Kens." More importantly, Miami is known as a party school-and I was not a partier.

katie

I love Miami, I think the campus is beautiful, everyone is nice, the Hockey games are a blast, the faculty is great, the REC is really nice,the library is awesome, all the housekeeping staff is so nice. If I could change one thing it would be to add more diversity. I think the size of Miami is just right. When I tell people I go to Miami they immediately something like, "Omg I know someone who went there and the loved it!". I spend most of my time on campus going to class, living in my hall, working out at the REC, doing sorority stuff, eating, etc... Yes Oxford, Ohio is definitely a college town. Of what I know about Miami's administration I like. Yes I think there is a lot of school pride. I will always remember my first weekend uptown as a freshman at Miami. The most frequent student complaints are parking and not enough diversity.

There is a wide variety of socio-economic groups on Miami's campus. There are people who are completely loaded with money, there is your middle-upper class, middle class, and your lower class. I like that Miami has that variety. There are also a lot of religious groups here I have friends that are Christian, Jewish, Catholic, and Muslim. I think the type of student that would feel out of place would be one that does not have a lot of confidence in themselves and thinks that no one will like them if they do not look perfect all the time. What people wear to class depends on the person. I on a typical day with wear jeans, Uggs, Northface jacket, J.Crew sweatshirt, headband, Northface bookbag, and my green longchamp bag. Its all just very comfortable and some days Ill wear sweats to class because no one really cares. I think most people believe everyone at Miami is extremely rich and that is not the case, it might be a lot of the kids but it is not the majority. Yes I think that the students are politically active. Yes I myself have talked about how much I am going to earn one day.

Somewhat yes, somewhat no. It depends on who you are looking at. If you look at some of the sororities then yes there is a ton of J.Crew, Uggs, longchamp bags of every color, pashminas (scarfs). But I can't stereotype them because I have all of that stuff too.

Yes all of my professors know my name. My favorite class was International Studies and Geography. My least favorite is Spanish. Students study a lot here. I think the girls might study more though but that is probably typical anywhere. Class participation is more common in the smaller classes that the larger ones. Yes I think that Miami students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. Students are competitive here. The most unique class that I have taken so far was International Studies. My major is International Studies in the Arts and Science Department. Yes I make sure to go talk to any of my teachers whenever I have a question or need help with the subject.

The sororities and fraternities are the most popular on campus but they are not everything. I love how Miami probably has a club/group/organization for everything and if there is not one that you want to join you can form one. All the intramural sports that Miami offers are amazing. There is so much always going on Miami's campus seven days of the week. You can always find something to do.

There is the typically J.CREW U stereotype that I heard a lot before I came to Miami but the truth is, yes there is a lot of J.Crew but not everyone wear J.Crew or looks like they just walked out of a J.Crew store. I feel majority of the student population has there own individual style.

Dylan

The best thing about Miami, is simply that it is Miami. If you talk to any alumni the only response I've ever heard is "Ohhh.. I LOVED Miami. Are you enjoying it? I wish I could go back." No one has any bad words to ever say about their time at Miami. It's the academics, the gorgeous campus and the college experiences combined that makes you as a student fall in love with Miami. If I could be "in a relationship" on facebook with it, hell, I think I maybe would. Making a pro and con list though, there are a few negatives. One of the big downfalls is for the "within driving distance" students. We're forty minutes out from a highway and from most forms of active life. There's no such thing as a "quick drive" to a mall or Target. As for the school size, in the words of goldilock's it is "juuustt right." The campus is larger than you'd imagine and yet small enough for it to be a comfortable walk to and from everywhere. You go out on a Friday night and always run into someone you know, but as for the ex-boyfriend who followed you from highschool, you can always find ways to avoid him seeing you grinding on someone new at the bar. Our school has 16,000 students in it but you can always find a niche so you're not feeling swallowed up by the size. For the out of staters and even some of the in staters you'll get used to adding on to Miami..."OF OHIO." People get confused easily but we're pretty damn proud to be us, so god forbid we are mistaken for that retirement state of FLA. For being in the middle of no where we really have a fair amount of things to do. Our uptown area covers a lot of what you may think is missing. After a night at the frat, a friend's house, or an apartment people like to head uptown. We have a fair amount of bars for how small our town is and it's always alive and well late at night. People go drinking or dancing or just out to eat and grab a beer. You really have a variety of choices. Once the daylight hits girls can find about four or five stores to treat themselves to a quick shopping spree, we have small town coffee shops or starbucks for the intellectual caffeine addict, there's an art store, a shoe store, a tiny but efficient movie theater, sandwich shops, an uptown park where musicians are brought--there's enough to do that you can go uptown and make an afternoon of enjoying the day. As for Miami's administration, there's a variety of opinions. For the most part they're friendly and efficient. President Hodge has been known to help out on freshman move-in-day, seen in the student section of a hockey game cheering along, or walking by on the street saying "hello" to students. As a journalist, I have had to interview a range of administration and they're always friendly, willing to oblige and helpful. Now, having said all that, it's not to say they're perfect. Miami tends to run on the conservatve side. For example we just passed a smoking ban for the entire campus. Students/faculty/workers are only allowed to smoke on sidewalks off of public streets. Another right they've seemed to have taken away is that it is a requirement at Miami to live in the dorms for your freshman and sophomore year, except if you join a fraternity as a sophomore and live in the house. Lastly, for me personally, we have an alcohol task force that tries to lay down the long arm of the law on any activities associated with alcohol. Unfortunately, it gets tiring trying to pretend that drinking doesn't go on and their strict rules get old. For example, as a journalist I tried to do an article on the drunk munchies and sent out a survey over e-mail regarding it. I instantly recieved emails back from the heads of the department forewarning me to handle this subject carefully and make sure I really wanted to write about it. Despite them not having any idea how I was approachign the subject, it was from the journalism department which encourages "write what you see" and the freedom of word, and I felt I was being slightly censored. Another time Campus Activities Council tried to bring a concert to a bar for the students. At the last second the task force vetoed it because when held at a bar it "encourages drinking." When in reality, even if underage, people are going to find a way to drink if they want too. Students and alumni are proud to say they attend(ed) Miami, but when it comes to sports fans can be lacking. Football has slightly gone downhill in the past few years and fans are willing to fill out some of the bleachers on a nice day, but by halftime they seem to disappear. I guess it's easier to root for a winning team and Miami's hockey was recently ranked #1 in the nation. At a #1 vs. #2 hockey game students camped out in freezing cold weather the night before to get tickets. It was pretty neat to see that kind of dedication and fanhood. Unfortunately that doesn't transfer over to everything and it takes the spirit boards some bribing with prizes to get rally towels and painted faces in the stands. Before I attended Miami, my sister (also a Miami grad) told me to make sure to walk around the campus at least one time every season. And that has probably been some of the best advice I've been given to enjoy Miami as a campus. It's positively beautiful and ideal. You come to visit and don't believe that the guys playing football in the front yard aren't planned, or that the red brick buildings and red brick road of uptown can be as inviting all year round, but Miami does seem to cast a spell on you. Whether there is snow on the ground, fire-colored leaves sprinkling the sidewalks, or students out in bathing suits trying to catch some rays, Miami is always breathtaking. I remember after pulling a late nighter for studying with a friend, we walked the streets between academic buildings and dorms at four in the morning and simply talked. It was really special and even in the twilight Miami glittered. Students generally feel really safe at Miami and though you shouldn't go running off by yourself, it's not as though muggings or rapes happen every other weekend. More alcohol related crimes or accidents, such as drunk fights, or indecent exposure are in the police beats than anything.

Miami as a whole tends to lack diversity. We have Asian American groups and fraternities for black brothers, but it still feels that you see a sea of white. Athletes from different backbgrounds obviously mix together really well and frats or sororities do bring everyone together. But, at times there's still a sense that the blacks stick together or vice versa. Not to the point where there is racism, I think people as a whole are just naturally attracted to people similar to them. Students at this campus tend to get pretty dressed up for class. There are definitely those girls who to class wear a dress I would save for my birthday weekend. The boys can be seen in khakis and button ups just for a politics class. But there are still that group of us who rock the sweats or sweatshirts. To be honest tennis shoes are acceptable when it's apparent that you are going to the rec right after. A negative to student interaction is that due to technology taking over the world, between classes, if people aren't walking with a friend they normally have their headphones on or their cellphone attached to their ear. It's not that they aren't friendly, we just tend to live in our own "miami bubble." Different types of students interact. Obviously people with similar interests, whether it's arts, drinking, or sports are going to be closer but people don't always snub those who are different. Walk into a dining hall and you'll see your cliche groups. You have the athletes in sweats and matching hoodies just back from practice. There's the freshman with their lanyards on backwards around their neck traveling in a pack of 20, there's the lone eater engrossed in the T.V., there's a few studiers who people are eyeing, wondering how the heck they get studying done with that noise. There's the frat buddies, dressed up from chapter they have their coats off and ties loose. Then there's jsut the bunch. Dressed up, dressed down, laughing over last nights T.V. episode or whispering the latest drama. A lot of Miami students come from Ohio. It's a reputable school and paying in state tuition is great. There's people from an hour away and there's Clevelander's who have to drive as far as Chicago people to get home. Within my own friend group I have a friend from Boston, from Chicago, from Atlanta and from small town Ohio. There's definitely people from all realms. It's no lie that the majority of Miami is wealthy. You see few beat up junk cars, beside my own, in the parking lot. People obviously could be here on scholarship, but they probably don't let on. We really are an upperclass society kind of school. When it comes to students talking about how much money they will earn one day, the continual joke between me, a journalism major, and my friend, a business major, is everytime he says "at least I'll make money," I say, "At least I'll be doing what I love."

"To think in such a place, I led such a life" is the motto of MIami. After being here for two years and thinking about having to leave it in another two, that quote reprepresents everything I will feel and reflect upon when I leave this red brick road.

To a certain extent the stereotypes are true about Miami University. You do happen to see more boat shoes than say...a place with actual water nearby, there are one too many boys showing off their "guns" at the rec and I feel as though the Greek alphabet decorates more clothing than Abercrombie and Fitch at a middle school dance. Butttt..having said all that, at a school with 16,000 students you are bound to meet individuals and people unlike the norm. People are traditionally wealthy but that doesn't mean there aren't still poor college students struggling to scrounge up alcohol money for the weekend.

Miami's academics really are just more a testament to the quality of the school. For the two years I've been at Miami I can honestly say I am very pleased with most every class I've taken. There is a miami plan that every student has to take. It's a list of requirements you have to fufill, such as 4 hours of a math course, or 9 hours of humanities, etc. The requirements differ for students in the business school or the western program, but everyone is required to complete a few courses like this before graduation. At times it is tiring, people complain "I'm not doing anything with science, why am I taking microbiology." or they have to take spanish until their junior year to complete the language requirements, but really I personally don't mind it. I'm a nerd in the sense that I love knowledge, and it cools to learn about things that may not be your forte. Sure I struggled through math but it also helped me decide I wanted a minor in marketing--lo and behold I needed that math class as a pre req. The students are pretty 50/50 in the sense that some are 100% sure they're going to be pre-med (as so many do originally..) or a CEO, etc, and the other half are like "oh hell, I hope I even have a clue by junior year. I think the Miami plan helps you to explore this. Whether it's to make sure for certain that you want to forever have a scalpel in your hand or it gives you the chance to see hey, I really like music class. Maybe I should go into something with that. The Miami plan classes tend to be a larger lecture, but every teacher that I've had manages to make a class of 100 feel as though it is about 20. My favorite class as a freshman was PSYCHOLOGY 111-the introduction to psychology. It had about 100 students in it but the professor was so engaging, fun, and knowledgeable on the subject that even though attendance wasn't taken, I attended every class. He had me laughing, he had me studying to do well on his test, and he had me retaining what he taught. At the end of the semester he shared with us personal stories of his battle with Aids which he had recieved from a blood transfusion years before. It was so moving and so touching to see a professor letting us into his life like that that a year later when he passed away I wrote his wife a letter letting her know how he had affected me. Because of him and that class I decided to double major in psychology. I've had a lot of good-humored professors, in another Miami plan class about music my professor is short and bald. When he asked us what kind of music we thought he may like, someone shouted out "Phil collins!" He laughed it off and joked that he'd meet the kid after class outside. Not all the classes are large, in fact only a few of mine have been held in lecture halls. My spanish class feels like high school all over again in the sense that we all became friends because there was only about 20 of us. My journalism classes, as I begin to take more and more for my major are fun because there are a few people I consistently see in the classes and it's nice to have someone you can call when you sleep through that alarm. Even classes that I don't enjoy the subject, such as philosophy, I manage to pull through because the professor is still respectable as a professor and it makes the material a little easier. A downfall to Miami's academics is that bad news seems to come at once. At about four weeks in most students have 2-4 classes all with a test that week. Professors also really enjoy group projects, so you'll be studying for a chemistry midterm and trying to plan a time to meet with your marketing group to get you case study done. Life gets a little hectic. Our King Library is really great in terms of having a writing center in the middle of it, a starbucks cafe, and an abundance of printers, computers, helpful librarians and research material. For this reason it's usually utilized consistently throughout the year, but come test-week or finals time, it literally looks like a mall the day after Thanksgiving. I feel that Miami kids are good at getting their assignments done so that they can party for the night or weekend. They literally work hard and play hard. Class participation really depends on the class. Go to an 8 a.m. and it's doubtful you'll see many students raising their hand. But in smaller classes when questions asked by the teachers are more common, students are willing to offer their opinions. It's like highschool. You're going to have loud-mouths, shy kids, and sleepers. Students outside of the classroom have intelligent conversations or sometimes really really unintelligent conversations. There's a facebook group "overheard at Miami" where ridiculous things overheard (hence the name) are posted. Sure ditzy comments are said but also we have newspapers available to us everywhere. As the election draws near talk of politics reigns through the air. Professors make themselves really available. I am a huge fan of office hours. The personal attention and extra help is sometimes really needed. Every teacher has made a point to say "these are my hours, but let me know if they don't work for you and we'll set up another time." Whether it's through e-mail, a few of my professors have Facebooked me, one even handed out her cell phone, or just their office hours, the professors are great at being there for you. But YOU have to take the initiative and put in the effort. One of my teachers had two "spaghetti dinners" during the semester in which she invited all her students too. We recieved home cooked meals and just had a chance to relax outside the class setting with her. It was wonderful. I feel the workload is pretty fair. You probably have at LEAST an hour-2 of something to do every night but with more free hours in the day you can always find time to do it. Miami is great about subscribing to an abundance of websites needed for research, or having every copy of Time or Newsweek, or having their librarians on AIM to answer questions, they even have their own websites they made to help your create a resume or search for internships or find a book you're looking for. THey make sure everything is available and there for us. I think the academics are geared towards preparing you for the real world as well as the next test coming up. You are given real life experiences sometimes, but you learn about it by reading it from a book and discussing it in class. They do a pretty good balance between the both.

The most popular groups on campus are without a doubt fraternities and sororities. They do own a lot of the bars for parties on a Friday night and have their greek week festivities that take over the campus. That's not to say that there aren't other outlets. I'm really involved on campus, have met great people through these organizations and I'm not a sister. The student government is really productive and active on campus and Campus Activities Council is a great group to get involved in. They put on events like homecoming, parents weekend and little sibs weekend. Aside from these traditional groups found on every campus Miami offers over 300 groups with things like "parachute club" "tae-kwan do" "men against rape," really anything that you would be looking for. there's a fair at the beginning of the year where a variety of organizations and groups set up tables to pass out brochures so students can find out what they are all about. I signed up for the student newspaper and was writing a story for them by the following week. It's easy to get involved if you choose too. In freshman dorms, students are really willing to meet people. THey leave their doors open, they go to other floors to meet people--everyone is really open to meeting new friends. All freshman are feeling awkward, uncomfortable and like the freshman they are. Since everyone is in the same boat it's nice. The older dorms are a little harder because people are already set in their friends. The events offered on campus vary and are really great. We have concerts like O.A.R., guitar hero competitions, Colin Powell came to speak, the CEO of Bob Evans, we have dance performances and african culture exhibitions. There really is something for everyone. Students attend these events sometimes because they have to and a few out of interest. It really depends. when it comes to dating it's pretty much the same as every college campus. Long distance boyfriends and girlfriends fade rather quickly (though not all) because of all the new people you get to meet and experiences there are to enjoy. Freshman year everyone lives it up and few are looking to settle down. There can be one night stands, there are the bar makeouts, there's the friend from the dorm who becomes a little more and incest amongst friends. You're surrounded by 16,000 other 18-24 yr olds so in that sense it's a little easier to meet someone but it's still just as nervewracking dropping the "how you doinngg" line in a bar to someone. My closest friends are the ones I originally met in my dorm. We all just somehow found each other and after activities done on freshman orientation days and dinner get togethers we became the best friends we are. Friends from classes I see out but perhaps don't hang out with as much on a regular basis. One great event at Miami is green beer day. THis is the day before Spring Break and in celebration of St. Patty's day everyone basically buys any of the numerous shirts proclaiming how they tend to start drinking and make it last all day. Teachers get pretty strict and police come otu to play, but the day is a great last hurrah before the week away. It's a big drinking school, as I imagine most colleges are. We are small town and there's not too much to do. Organizations on campus still try to make non-alocholic events available to the campus. There's concerts and comedy skits that are brought. There's youth groups that meet on Friday nights as an alternate. The towns close by have a drive-in or a skating rink. There is still other options, perhaps not a ton, but always somethign to do. This weekend I went to the comedy show then drinking at a friends house, then uptown to dance. That's a pretty standard weekend for students which is why as you get older and have more friends with more houses or apartments to party at. It's hard if you're not a guy and not in a fraternity to meet people. Unless you find a solid group of guys from the start who are with you in the non greek boat. Girls have it slightly easier, cause um, we have boobs. So we can get into frats even if we're not in a sorority and have hot friends. Intramurals are a great time at Miami. We're known for broomball, which is a sport we call our own that people sign up to play. All sports are available for the non-die-hard athletes out there.

The most commonly known stereotype is that we are J-Crew U. We're all preppy, stuck up, upper class kids. We lack diversity and have an abundance of fratastic boy and snobby sorority sisters.

Jane

Miami University is located in Oxford, Ohio and is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I often wonder how out-of-state students even find out about Miami and what they must think driving to campus for the first time. When you tell someone from the Midwest that you are a student at Miami, you will usually get a look of approval. When you tell someone from another state that you are a student at Miami, you will usually get a look of approval because they think you go to school in Florida. This is a common occurrence that gets cleared up when someone's next question is, "So, how do you like the weather down there?" Despite the lack of metropolis and often frigid temperatures in the winter, Oxford is a great college town that has charm beyond belief and the isolation lends itself to cultivating a close relationship between the Oxford and Miami community — not surprising since the student body comprises almost half of the Oxford's population. There are about 15,000 undergrads and some 1,500 grad students enrolled at Miami which means there are plenty of people to meet, but not so many that you'll get lost in the crowd. It is incredible how familiar a place with so many people can feel after only a semester or two. The compact nature of both campus and the Uptown region help you feel at home in no time. The dominance of college students in such a small town adds to Oxford's appeal, along with the lack of need for a car, but at times can make living in rural southwestern Ohio a little claustrophobic. For this reason it is nice to have a city like Cincinnati only 45 minutes away. Plus two major airports, Dayton and Cincinnati, are only one hour away so getting home is relatively easy no matter where you hail from. But if you can't get away from Oxford there are plenty of activities on campus and in town to keep you occupied. Whether you are into sports, filmmaking, music, politics, service, Greek life or environmentalism Miami has something for you. Getting involved in organizations is a great way to meet people and is great for your resume. The university is constantly bringing speakers, some more interesting than others, and events to campus which are usually free or cheap for students. If you are looking for stuff to do off campus, you can catch a movie Uptown, grab dinner or get a beer at one of the many, many bars.

The student body at Miami has a little bit of everything, but the majority of students at Miami are white, middle-upper class kids from the four Cs: Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland or Chicago. Obviously there are thousands of kids that do not fit the aforementioned description but they are not the majority. Miami is very upfront about having a diversity issue and is constantly trying to work to broaden the spectrum of students that choose to attend Miami. People may tell you that Greek life at Miami is everything but in reality only about 1/3 of students are involved in the Greek system. Miami has more than a dozen fraternities and sororities and each one is made up of a different group of people so chances are you would find one you like. It is a great way to meet people, get involved in student life and party. If it's not for you, don't worry about it — you'll be with about 10,000 students that feel the same way. Make sure not to completely write it off, though, just because of the stereotypes. In addition to Greek life, Miami also has a strong religious community that meets regularly and hosts events around campus. This provides a nice alternative to drinking on weekends and most are nondenominational. This said, there is also pretty much one of every church in Oxford. But in keeping with the vast array of students that attend Miami, there are also atheist clubs for those interested. The people that may feel intimidated about being a minority at Miami can rest assured that there are groups and organizations to help them thrive, feel safe and most importantly welcome at Miami. LGBTs are supported on campus and host events such as drag shows Uptown. They are also members of religious groups and Greek organizations. This said, it is only fair to say that Miami does tend to be more conservative in nature and mind.

Parking on campus is a nightmare. You will get a ticket and it will haunt you until you pay up. For this reason it is a real pain to have a car on campus. Wait until you live in a house and have a parking spot to bring a car to school. Plus, Oxford is so small that you won't really need one. Speaking of housing... you have to live in dorms your freshman and sophomore year unless you figure a way to out-smart the system. Living in the dorms has it perks, but it also means you aren't completely free from supervision just yet. Once you get to live off campus your life will significantly improve. Living in a house with a bunch of people is a blast, and the ideal place to live is in what they call the "mile square." This is literally four blocks north and south of Uptown so you are close to everything. Most places to live in this square have humorous yet often inappropriate house names. Miami students celebrate a tradition called "Green Beer Day" because Spring Break usually falls on St. Patrick's Day. GBD is always the Thursday before break begins and means that the bars in Oxford open at 5 a.m. and everyone drinks green beer. The university is not very fond of this tradition but it is a lot of fun. If you are under, watch out because the cops crack down at the bars on GBD. The key to college success is balance! You don't need to spend all your time studying and you shouldn't spend all you time drinking, so finding a happy median will keep your parents and the cops off your back. Summers in Oxford are amazing; make sure to spend one taking a class or two. It is a whole new world. It gets super hot in August and very cold during the winter, but when the temperature is mild the campus really comes alive. Miami has "Monday, Tuesday switch days." This is just as confusing as it sounds, and is in place to balance the classes missed because of the holidays that fall on Mondays.

For every one person that takes the time to hit the showers before class there are three others that roll out of bed for their 8 a.m. in sweats. And while there are a few popular clothing items or brands favored around campus, I would venture to say that the styles worn here are common for campuses across the nation. The overarching look tends to be congruent with the Mid-western location, so you will no doubt find more people sporting a conservative and preppy look consisting of Pumas and Polos than Chuck Taylors and piercings. Don't let this scare you off, though, because there is by no means a uniform for Miami and the bottom line is that most people settle for sweats after syllabus week has come and gone.

When it comes to academics, Miami has a great reputation especially in the Midwest area. The Richard T. Farmer School of Business is definitely a strong point for the campus and employers recruit kids from the program all the time. They have an excellent career fair that brings in the top accounting firms and companies like Proctor and Gamble. Because of this, the program is very competitive and requires a lot of hard work and long hours of studying. The reward is having a good chance of landing a job often before you ever graduate. The down side to this is that if you choose to go for another degree at Miami you can find yourself feeling a little ignored. The classes and professors are still great in other departments but the business school is by far the university's golden child. Other programs like architecture and engineering thrive at Miami, and a lot of development is going on around campus to renovate and build better academic facilities for the numerous other departments. Your curriculum at Miami is divided into two main parts: filling requirements for your major/college and completing what the school calls the "Miami plan." The "Miami plan" requires students to take a few classes from a variety of academic fields including science, math and English. This is meant to give students an opportunity to study a little bit of everything. It can at times be annoying to take such random classes that have nothing to do with what you are studying, but it can also be life changing when you take that art history class and discover your new life calling. And even though the classes are usually 100-level courses, they are often some of the largest and toughest. Requirements for your major will be spelled out for you by the college and will be pretty straightforward. These classes will tend to be smaller, and you will get to know both professors and other students in your major quickly. Take advantage of getting to know your professors — they are great for recommendations and are way more lenient with absences or late assignments, ect. if you are a familiar face. If you don't know what you want to study right away, don't panic. Start by knocking out your Miami plan classes first and hopefully those will provide you with a little direction. Don't be afraid to major in something other than business or a medically oriented field. No matter your major you WILL get a job after college, and chances are your GPA will be a lot better if you are taking classes you truly enjoy. Education at a college level is a whole new ballgame, and if you follow heart you will find yourself enjoying class, which will make life exponentially easier. In terms of studying you will quickly figure out what is crucial to being a good student. Your professors will tell you that for every hour in class you should study 2 or 3 outside of class. This may be true, but especially as a freshman, is not very feasible when everything is new and there is a lot going on. When the reading starts to pile up prioritize what needs to be read and what doesn't. Often time professors will tell you the important stuff in class, so going is essential and is like automatic studying. Also, Miami has an amazing study abroad program. You can go almost anywhere in the world. We even have a campus in Luxemborg. This is the opportunity of a lifetime and is usually more fun than academic. If you are worried about missing out on a semester with your friends, anyone that stayed in Oxford will tell you that you didn't miss anything and anyone that has gone abroad will tell you it is worth it!

Groups at Miami are all over the board. Greek life and Campus Crusade for Christ are two particularly strong and prominent groups on campus. Also, the student government and intramural sports are big. In terms of varsity sports men's hockey is really the only team that garners a significant amount of support from students, but the athletic community itself seems to be a very tight knit group of people. In my time at Miami I got involved with numerous organizations and two of my favorites were being part of the student radio station and writing/editing for campus publications. These are smaller organizations, but because of this you get great hands-on experience and make great friendships. Social life outside of organizations is tons of fun at Miami as well. In college your weekend begins on Thursday nights. This usually means going Uptown to bars with friends. You have to be 18, minimum, to get into bars Uptown and some are 21 and up. The bars are a lot of fun and are the main source of entertainment during the weekend. There are places to dance, play pool or just sit and talk. Many bars have specialty nights as well such as 90s night or dollar draft beer night. Big house parties are few and far between, and don't usually welcome strangers or freshman. The exception to this rule is fraternity house parties that usually get pretty crowded. Day drinking and drinking games such as beer pong are also two of the pleasures of college life. People get pretty rowdy on weekends so it is important to go out with people you trust and know will look out for you if things get out of hand. Know your limits when it comes to drinking, because there are many consequences if you get in trouble. For starters, any run-ins with the police result in a "code" through the university. This is a mark put on your record that can get you kicked out if you get multiple codes, depending on the level. Codes also come with a form of punishment, like sitting through very, very long alcohol awareness classes on Saturdays. Another reason to practice some self-control is that the police reports get printed in the school newspaper for the students and professors alike to read. And they do. All in all if you are smart about your activities it is easy to stay out of trouble.

Every college and university has stereotypes, and Miami is no exception. Often Miami students are thought of in terms of a stereotypical or homogenous look. Sometimes dubbed "J. Crew U" by outsiders, people may tend to think that all kids dress one way or dress up for class.

Miami University-Oxford administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.