Miami University-Oxford

« See more reviews of Miami University-Oxford

At most colleges there is a lot of partying. Students spend the majority of the time their not studying doing what college students do; drinking. Miami is no exception to the rule. Students social lives consist of going to parties and getting intoxicated. I on the other hand have grown up having a strong faith and don't drink. Therefore when it comes to weekends and all my friends are getting trashed, I'm usually at the library studying or trying to find a friend who decides not to party that weekend. After over two years, it becomes quite exhausting.

I think the worst thing about this school is that it doesn't have a strong football or basketball team. While those are drawbacks to the spirit of the school, they are also an advantage. They are an advantage because it shows that academics is more in the fore front of this college. They seek out students based on their grades and academic focus. To play a varsity sport at Miami means that you were accepted into the college based on your grades first and foremost. I think this is important to producing strong leaders but it hurts school spirit.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of diversity that you may experience here. Most of the student and Staff population are of the same economic status, class, and ethnicity. Althought we do have many exchange students, they too are mostly all from the same country. My high school was very diverse and therefore, I got to see different cultures and experience them as well. However, on my college campus I have to read about different cultures to learn about them because of the minimum amount of diversity on and off campus on Oxford.

My answer to this question goes along with my response to the previous question. The worst thing about Miami is how many students seem to be completely fixated on appearance and image. Some students will think less of you if you aren't wearing designer clothes, aren't good-looking or in shape, etc. Obviously not everyone is like this, or flaunts their wealth if they have it, but the percentage of students that do fall into this category make a big enough impact that everyone is aware of this aspect of our student population.

The worst thing about our school is the students. I do not feel like our admissions office is trying hard enough to find students that are eager to engage themselves fully into their classes. It is hard to work with students who do not want to work, but want to play. There are good students here, but the few bad ones may ruin it for all other students sometimes. The university needs to be more demanding so that these students can raise their own expectations. Other than that, I have a lot of friends and I love it down here.

The worst thing about my school is the fact that it does not have a very diverse group of people and often times people judge others based on their race, religion and economic status. Numerous times I have felt out of place becuase I can not afford everything that other students have and because I pay more for my education, since I am an out of state student, I often feel like an outsider. I have also had attacks made on me by students because of my religion. Most of the time this is due to ignorance and misunderstanding.

I honestly do not have many problems with the university I am attending but one thing I wish was improved would be the diversity. I feel at my university there are not a lot of people with different cultural backgrounds. I think it would be fantastic to have different types of people to learn and grow from, which is the exact point of college, to grow and learn. Whether it's in the classroom or outside the classroom it is preparing us for the big world out there, where there are so many types of people.

The culture is known as preppy and that is very acurate especially in the Business school. As a business student this can be frustrating because it means that no one wears sweatpants to class and that everyone one is always dressed to impress for class. Although this atmosphere can be frustrating, it is also good experience for eventually entering the working world and needing to dress Business casual at least every day.

The worst thing about my school is the stereotype that it has. Miami University is thought to be full of rich and preppy snobs. It keeps students from choosing Miami because they feel like they will not fit in. I do not fit into that stereotype, but I have never once felt like I did not belong at Miami. There are so many interesting people there that one can learn so much from.

The worst thing about Miami University is the lack of diversity. I have traveled around the world for work, volunteer opportunities and pleasure and I have gained a great respect for cultures, ethnicities and languages different than my own. I would like to see more diversity at Miami as it has great potential to serve students from around the country and the world.