Miami University-Oxford Top Questions

Myles

it's reputation for being a party, and preppy school, there's something to make everyone feel comfortable. I don't drink and I wear cargo shorts and I get along with the other students just fine.

Tia

That most of the students who do go there come from families that are wealthy

I'd say the worst thing about my school was the lack of a large movie theater and restaurants in the town. We had to drive to nearby towns to get more options for fun things to do with friends.

Denae

I think the worst thing about Miami would be the stereotype or mentality that everyone has to wear designer clothes, wear the same brands, have the same "look." I like my individuality and I want that to show through how I represent myself.

Zoe

How expenisive the food on campus is definitly the worst thing about Miami. This is because as a freshman, going from class to class, and all of the homework there is not time to make your own food. The high prices, just drains my money, and on top of the cost of tuition makes the college just that much more expensive to attend.

Maura

The culture is known as preppy and that is very acurate especially in the Business school. As a business student this can be frustrating because it means that no one wears sweatpants to class and that everyone one is always dressed to impress for class. Although this atmosphere can be frustrating, it is also good experience for eventually entering the working world and needing to dress Business casual at least every day.

The worst thing about Miami University is the lack of diversity. I have traveled around the world for work, volunteer opportunities and pleasure and I have gained a great respect for cultures, ethnicities and languages different than my own. I would like to see more diversity at Miami as it has great potential to serve students from around the country and the world.

Gabriel

I consider class availability to be the worst thing about my school. I work 15 hours a week and am forced to schedule classes around my work schedule. It is very hard to fit all the classes I need into a managable time frame. Once classes are scheduled things usually work out.

Adrienne

The worst thing about my school is the stereotype that it has. Miami University is thought to be full of rich and preppy snobs. It keeps students from choosing Miami because they feel like they will not fit in. I do not fit into that stereotype, but I have never once felt like I did not belong at Miami. There are so many interesting people there that one can learn so much from.

The worst thing would be the expense. It is one of the most expensive public universities out there.

The worst thing about our school is the students. I do not feel like our admissions office is trying hard enough to find students that are eager to engage themselves fully into their classes. It is hard to work with students who do not want to work, but want to play. There are good students here, but the few bad ones may ruin it for all other students sometimes. The university needs to be more demanding so that these students can raise their own expectations. Other than that, I have a lot of friends and I love it down here.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of diversity that you may experience here. Most of the student and Staff population are of the same economic status, class, and ethnicity. Althought we do have many exchange students, they too are mostly all from the same country. My high school was very diverse and therefore, I got to see different cultures and experience them as well. However, on my college campus I have to read about different cultures to learn about them because of the minimum amount of diversity on and off campus on Oxford.

Devorah

The worst thing about my school is the fact that it does not have a very diverse group of people and often times people judge others based on their race, religion and economic status. Numerous times I have felt out of place becuase I can not afford everything that other students have and because I pay more for my education, since I am an out of state student, I often feel like an outsider. I have also had attacks made on me by students because of my religion. Most of the time this is due to ignorance and misunderstanding.

I honestly do not have many problems with the university I am attending but one thing I wish was improved would be the diversity. I feel at my university there are not a lot of people with different cultural backgrounds. I think it would be fantastic to have different types of people to learn and grow from, which is the exact point of college, to grow and learn. Whether it's in the classroom or outside the classroom it is preparing us for the big world out there, where there are so many types of people.

There is not much diversity on our campus and I feel that people may be a little judgmental and stick to what they are comfortable with.

At most colleges there is a lot of partying. Students spend the majority of the time their not studying doing what college students do; drinking. Miami is no exception to the rule. Students social lives consist of going to parties and getting intoxicated. I on the other hand have grown up having a strong faith and don't drink. Therefore when it comes to weekends and all my friends are getting trashed, I'm usually at the library studying or trying to find a friend who decides not to party that weekend. After over two years, it becomes quite exhausting.

The worst thing about Miami University is the constant partying. The weekends are especially bad. Since living in the dorms, however, it does not go on or effect me there. These incidents usually occur uptown or at apartments/houses.

Carl

I think the worst thing is scholarships because they don't have or give out that many. So, in the end, students mostly have to look for random scholarships on the web if they are not the smartest students.

Logan

The worst thing about our school is that it revolves too much around the greek life. I think there is a lack of personal identity on this campus due to most people succumbing to the social norms on campus.

I think the worst thing about this school is that it doesn't have a strong football or basketball team. While those are drawbacks to the spirit of the school, they are also an advantage. They are an advantage because it shows that academics is more in the fore front of this college. They seek out students based on their grades and academic focus. To play a varsity sport at Miami means that you were accepted into the college based on your grades first and foremost. I think this is important to producing strong leaders but it hurts school spirit.

My answer to this question goes along with my response to the previous question. The worst thing about Miami is how many students seem to be completely fixated on appearance and image. Some students will think less of you if you aren't wearing designer clothes, aren't good-looking or in shape, etc. Obviously not everyone is like this, or flaunts their wealth if they have it, but the percentage of students that do fall into this category make a big enough impact that everyone is aware of this aspect of our student population.

Tom

There is no diversity. It is mainly an upper-middle class white university.

Dan

Sometimes the professors are too involved in your education, when you'd like to sometimes just make your own choices.

very homogenous environment of upperclass individuals, lack of diversity, and ridiculous amount of pressure to excel in classes and socially and to be perfect at everything - if your not greek- you dont fit in its in the middle of a cornfield

The diversity of the student body, because it can lead to things like group think. We have a "miami bubble" here where people aren't that informed about outside issues etc. Most students here are white upper middle class, but it is getting more diverse

Daniele

There is not much diversity. If you are not involved in Greek life then you will feel like you are in the minority.

I feel our financial aid department leaves a lot to be desired as far as helping students who need additional funding but don't qualify for government aid.

Very hard to get into classes you need. You have to go through alot of work to force add classes every semester.

Nothing. I loved my experience at Miami. We all worked hard, had fun, and made life long friends.

The diversity is not very significant and many of the boys and girls who go here have the mentality that they are invincible, not to mention they all look alike!

There is not enough diversity. Everyone seems the same.

Jane

The social scene is definitely a double edged sword. It's amazingly fun, but it can be a very tempting thing, and it can get to be way too much. A lot of kids end up with legal condsequences their first (second and maybe even third) year.

The income level of most of the students here is pretty obvious. Most of the students here are white and have quite a bit of money. Not always, but sometimes, this can create awkwardness for certain groups.