Miami University-Oxford

« See more reviews of Miami University-Oxford

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Miami University (Oxford, Ohio) is well known for many things. As the birthplace of the Mcguffey Reader, it is known as the traditional icon of a quality education. Deemed an "ivy league of state schools", Miami is known both for its accessibility, strong academic programs, and quality education. And the University lives up to this reputation, offering 100 different areas of study, and many professors who have been published and recognized in their respective areas of expertise. Miami University was ranked third of the nation’s top universities, and with good reason. Known for its undergraduate program, the University is said to pay specific attention to their younger students, also supporting undergraduate research and internships. Again, Miami lives up to its reputation: professors teach classes and are very approachable. There are numerous resources to help students choose not only their major, but also career paths, and internships and research opportunities to help bolster their résumés. Miami University offers these programs with the opportunities of a large institution, but the attention one might experience at a smaller college. Nestled in the quaint town of Oxford, Miami University is also located a mere half hour away from the Cincinnati Metropolitan. Despite this, Miami University is known to be a very active community of students, with nearly four hundred different organizations, and the majority of students stay weekends. Miami University is also known for its beautiful campus. With classic architecture, plenty of mature trees, and bountiful green space, it feels spacious and vast for a larger school. Students are encouraged to embrace nature, as there as also trails within and just outside of the campus. A popular weekend retreat is a mere few miles away, at Huston Woods, which offers a beach, picnic areas, archery range, horseback riding, and plenty of hiking . As a student body, Miami students are thought to be generally intelligent and academic-minded, as per the higher acceptance standards (compared with other state schools). While this is true, Greek life is also prevalent, so many students are also engaged in related actives, as well as evening life Uptown. Miami’s Student body is thought to be mostly homogenous—white students from middle class and upper class families. And while this also has some merit, Miami brings in a considerable amount of foreign exchange students, making up an impressive 11.8% of the current freshmen class. While there are many students who come from similar backgrounds, it is also equally true that Miami University is a place of diversity, where exchange students and welcomed and their educations fostered.

We are known as a huge party school. And well, I'd have to say it's true. A huuuuge percentage of the school population spends their weekends Uptown at the bars or at crazy frat parties. But if you're not into that thing, you can definitely find a group that shares your interests. It might take a little more time, but there are enough people at Miami that a wide variety of lifestyles is represented. You can find people who prefer to drink in small groups, people who don't like to drink at all...people who go out to the movies or on other adventures on the weekends, and people who like to stay in and chill with their friends. Gender stereotypes can be divided into two groups, and they're usually applied to the business school kids. Whether there's validity in that, you can decide for yourself. The guys are seen as your typical "bros" going to frat parties and hoping to score some chicks. We have a special label for the girls: we call them "Miami girls." Typically you hear them talking loudly on their cell phones or see them wearing a Northface jacket, leggings, and Uggs. This is actually pretty accurate, too. In the wintertime all you'll see are girls in leggings and Northfaces walking to and from class. Phone conversations are pretty easy to pick up. But of course, you have to be careful with stereotypes, so here's my disclaimer: you can never really get to know a person just by what they wear or even by what they like to do on the weekends. While a lot of the students here do wear the infamous Northfaces and party every weekend, you will still find a huge variety of personalities and lifestyles here. "Miami girls" may look the same but are definitely not clones.

The stereotype of Miami University is generally two-fold. The first side of the coin is from outsiders who have never been on campus, only who have merely passed through, and made such general assumptions from a fifteen second cursory glance at the students walking the streets; the second is from other reviews, whether peer or professional, about the quality of academics pertaining to the assumption that the intelligence level is much higher than other universities. It's been my experience, however, that most stereotypes are only accurate when one searches for data to support them. If one goes in with an open mind, they will find that these stereotypes are grossly inaccurate. Miami University is filled with a lot of highly intelligent people--however, these people generally make sure that everyone knows how smart they are. However, I cannot say that one stereotype outweighs another--I've seen my fair share of jacks and frat kids, sorority girls and geeks, and just about every other stereotype that one can imagine. But since none of them have been so overwhelming within their numbers to strike a chord within me, I would have to say that, while all stereotypes are present at Miami University, none are so overwhelming that they encompass my view of my University. Unless, of course, one takes into account all of the fraternity and sorority members who just happen to have the advantage to post their "stereotype" more freely--most stereotypes don't usually paint bedsheets and hang them outside of Shriver.

Miami has earned the nickname "J. Crew U" because it stereotypically consists of good looking prepsters who are typically members of a fraternity or sorority. While you are likely to find Sperry wearing "frat bros" on almost any trek across the Oxford campus, there is plenty of diversity outside of the Hellenic system. In fact, Miami's reputation as an entirely Greek campus is somewhat skewed in the sense that only 30% of individuals are even affiliated with fraternities or sororities at all. If Greek life is something that interests you, there are plenty of options available. If it is something that you do not identify with, Miami offers alternatives that would cater to just about anyone. Whether it be club or intramural sports, academic groups, or fine arts organizations, Miami does a great job of providing an outlet for any student who wishes to explore their interests on campus.

Miami University has earned the nickname "J. Crew U" because of large number of prepsters walking around campus. The stereotype of Miami is essentially upper-middle class students who pride themselves on their appearance, and their work hard-play hard mentality. Greek life is another stereotype attributed to the typical Miami student. While both of these stereotypes are represented on campus, Miami students are much more diverse than they are given credit for. It is not uncommon to see kids in pajamas or exercise gear sitting in class. In recent years, Miami has become much less "preppy" than their nickname would suggest. Because the university is so large, it is easy to find examples of all different types of students. There is a balanced combination of jocks, intellectuals, beauty queens, and All-American, everyday kids wearing jeans and a sweatshirt studying at the library.

Miami University offers a wide variety of students, no matter what your friends say! Although we do hold the stereotype for our greek life (frat stars, beautiful sorority girls, etc...), Miami University offers so much more than that! As a non-greek affiliated student, I have made so many friends and have become involved in so many other ways! Of course I have friends in sororities and fraternities, but this just opens the door for me to meet new people, which is always a blast! Prospective students are always shocked to hear that only 25% of Miami University's students are in Greek life, so make sure to always keep that in mind! There are so many other students on campus who do not participate in Greek life. No matter where you are at Miami University, you are bound to turn around and find a friendly face willing to help and maybe even become a life-long friend!

Miami University has a stereotype whether they chose to admit it or not. There is a term that circulates among the students of the infamous Miami Bro. The stereotypes often include clothing brands; North Face, Sperry's, Plaid and Cargo shorts. It's a typical image of a spoiled rich kid that has everything handed to them the moment they were born. As a student of MIami University I would agree that this stereotype is accurate, but also as a student I have had plenty of opportunities to get to know some the "rich, snobby preps". I come from a very lower class home and because of that I was just as much a snob upon my arrival on campus. Brands are brands and sometimes the connotations match the merchandise, but as with every rule, there is always an exception, and Miami University is that exception.

The most common stereotype that we have at Miami University is that most of the student population is preppy and come from very wealthy families. "J. Crew U" to most prospective students that inquire about Miami. Miami University has the reputation of a conservative, majority white population, that is big on Greek life, but that is not all that Miami is. As an African-America student coming from a low-income background, Miami was a culture shock for myself. But Miami offers so much, that isn't defined by the stereotypes of the school. Miami encourages and promotes diversity, with many programs and events catered to multi-cultural students. You find throughout your time here, while these stereotypes hold some truth, that you will overlook them in favor of your own personal experience at Miami.

The main stereotype at Miami is that all of the students are rich, white, and beautiful. The girls are titled "Miami girls" and are thought to be spoiled brats who are unused to how the real world works. Both the female and male body are often thought to drink themselves to the point of intoxication and beyond, and then often go and destroy public property. I would say that the stereotype definitely holds true to some extent. There are a lot of rich people at Miami who party a lot, and probably when they shouldn't. But there are some "normal" kids there as well who study, do their work, and go out and enjoy themselves on the weekend. There definitely are people who fit the stereotypical Miami girls, but they don't make up the entire population.

The biggest stereotype at Miami University is that all of the students dress a certain way. Miami has earned the nickname “J.Crew U” in order to describe the preppy style adopted by a lot of the students and Sperry shoes, Coach bags, and pastel polo shirts do tend to dominate on campus. I heard a story once from a campus tour guide about a mother on the tour who asked if North Face jackets were required. All of this being said, Miami has so many students that every style is represented. No one is going to feel left out for not owning Sperry’s. I have never heard of anyone being ostracized for not wearing a certain brand. Rest assured that even if the casually preppy look isn’t your thing, Miami still could be.