Miami University-Oxford

« See more reviews of Miami University-Oxford

There are many different types of people who would make great students at Miami. People who care about their impact on the community, others, and the environment. People who are interested in being challenged academically. People who want to build relationships with students, faculty, and administration. People who want to share their ideas, join groups, and show pride in their school. I feel that there is reallyno way to completely describe a specific kind of person that should attend Miami, but anyone who shares these ideals and values would make a great student at Miami!

Someone who is unable to search for people they can be friends with shouldn't attend. Because the school is fairly large, you need to be able to take the initiative and meet new people because it is unlikely that your best friend will be your randomly assigned roommate. Also, for out of state students it is important to realize that many students are from Ohio and know other people attending from their school. This means that you may be the only one who doesn't know anyone. Overall, it is a great school for anyone who tries.

Miami is very East-coast minded. That being said, it is a fairly preppy school for the most part, although we have a very diverse student population. Also, Oxford is close by cities, but is immediately surrounded by fields and farms, so if you are more into the big cities, then Miami is not right for you. Plus, Miami is big, but not THAT big. It has about 16,000 students here at a time, so if you want something bigger, then you shouldn't go here. Miami, and Oxford in general, has a very small-town feel to it.

Most people would do very well at this school. The few people that would not are people who would not to well at most colleges. These would be people who are not willing to work hard, put in many hours a week in studying, work with others, and be open to new people and their cultures or ways of living. If you are not accpeting over other people and their life choices that may be different from yours I would say that you would not do well here either.

An individual aspiring to find a competitve and rigorous fine arts community would not want to attend this school. From my knowledge, the art scene is meager and this school unfortunately does not have a strong art program. One can customize their own degree for certain fields like photography and ceramics but there is no major for said areas.

Anyone is "welcome" here, but I could imagine that it might be difficult here for students of color, students who belong to the GLBTQ community, or just a student with an alternative Lifestyle. That being said, I dont think that life would be imposible for those students... they would just have to try much harder to feel "at home" here.

You should not attend this school if you want a school that is very diverse. People aren't condemning at Miami University or harsh to any race, it just isn't diverse. This may soon change but for now it is primarily a white upperclass school. Also if you have a problem with the general "prep" look, this place is NOT for you.

If you don't know who you are and what your values are, this isn't the school for you. If you're easily swayed by other's actions, then steer clear! Miami is a very "stereotypical" college campus, and if you're looking for an out-of-the-box experience, then Miami isn't for you.

The type of person that shouldn't attend this school is someone who is looking for an urban college experience. Oxford, OH is a typical college town. Anyone who is not academically motivated and willing to meet people should not attend Miami University.

An individual who is very closed minded or likes to keep to themselves would not enjoy their time at Miami. As a liberal institution, there is much emphasis on group work and personal interaction.