Miami University-Oxford

« See more reviews of Miami University-Oxford

Money. Right now everyone is worried about it and even the campus is starting to take a hit. It's a dilemma because if we bring it more students the class sizes get bigger which is something we try to stay away from but if we don't generate money somewhere we are going to have more problems. Diversity is also a problem, there is just not enough of it and people who are here of a different race are the athletes. There is some underlying racism but it's more because the students aren't used to it.

The most frustrating thing about Miami is the lack of money they give out to the incoming students. It is very expensive and I had all of the requirements but I was one point below the ACT requirement and I didn't get any scholarship money. Miami is very expensive for my family and with having worked so hard during high school, it is hard to see that I am not receiving any help from them. It is very stressful for my family trying to pull ends together when I have an eleven year old sister too.

I'm an out-of-state student which really adds to the cost of going to Miami. It's an expensive school to begin with, but being out-of-state I pay nearly double. I live in Indiana, only about four minutes away from the Ohio border. Most universities give students that live near the state border in-state tuition. For some reason Miami doesn't. I knew that Miami was the college I wanted to go to because it's a great school with very high academic standards. But the cost is definitely a downfall.

I am an accounting major and the business program at our school is only two years long instead of four years and you can enter the business school once you are a junior. This is extremely frustrating because I came in to college with some AP credits and I want to take upper level business courses that would normally be available to any students at other schools, but I can?t because I am still a freshman and am not yet in the business school.

The school has recently put into place a campus wide smoking ban. It is frustrating for students who smoke because in some cases it can take up to 25 to 30 minutes to walk off campus. There are no small smoking areas in the middle of campus. Additionally, the school does not consider student's safety in regard to this matter at night. It is unsafe to walk off campus after midnight, when most people are still up studying.

its very homoegenous, upper class and not welcoming to different ideas. the girls are pretty shallow, material focused on the highest brand name things (names id never even heard of before i came here). if your not wearning chanel glasses and coach shoes and a lacoste polo ur not hot. guys know there are lots of hot girl here, so theyre not likely to date or want a relationship. its a very hook-up based campus.

The most frustrating thing about my school is probably the same thing that is frustrating about all other schools: the other students. If you are a dedicated student it's hard when there are people talking in class, asking for your notes, getting away with things like drinking, or just being stupid around campus. But I don't think you can ever really get away from that, no matter where you go.

One aspect that is frustrating for some is the lack of cultural diversity on campus. Many people here are white, heterosexual, come from an upper-middle class background, dress in only designer clothes, drive expensive cars, etc. Not everyone is like this, but these students are definitely have a distinctive presence on campus.

Walking everywhere is the only way to travel. Buses are available, but the routes are long and walking is faster. The weather is southern Ohio. It was hot and humid in the fall and is windy and frigid in the winter. The wind cuts right through you and no multi-layers of clothes seems to be enough. So far, that's about it.

There is a stereotype of the "typical Miami girl" and it's generally true. The girls wear their Ugg boots, designer clothes, and Northface jackets and act stuck up and snobby for no apparent reason. It's generally certain sorority girls. They also act completely flighty and stupid- read some quotes on Overheard at Miami.