Miami University-Oxford

« See more reviews of Miami University-Oxford

Miami is one of the most beautiful campuses that I have ever seen. We are spoiled walking around every day surrounded by the redbrick buildings and perfectly manicured landscape, but that is not all that make Miami unique. My favorite part about this university is that although there are 15,000 students, it feels so much smaller. I recognize people from classes and organizations all over campus, and it makes me feel so comfortable because I know that I can always find a friend nearby. Miami does a great job integrating their students with one another, I think due to the Miami Plan requirements because we have to take classes outside of our majors, so we really get the opportunity to meet new people with different backgrounds and experiences than our own every day.

One of the most unique things about Miami is the area in which it's located. Oxford is a pretty obscure little town that most people only recognize because of Miami University. If one is to drive one mile outside of town, in any direction, and it feels like they're in a completely different world. Miami is it's own town, it's own world, and one legitimately feels like they're a part of something completely...different. I can't speak for other campuses, as I have not attended them, but from the other schools I have visited, they don't seem as united, as uniformed. All of the buildings on Miami's campus have a similar aesthetic look and feel to them, which pulls any sort of visitor or student into the world of Miami.

The best thing about Miami University is that even though we have such diversity and uniqueness between the different schools in the university, we all possess an amazing sense of unity and pride. Students are required to take classes in every subject in order to broaden their horizons and become more well rounded. These "Miami Plan" courses bring the students within the different schools together, and require teamwork and motivation. Every Miami student developes a fond admiration for the extraordinary professors, beautiful campus, and the Miami experience of a liberal arts education, preparing us for careers in the real world.

I think the best thing about Miami University is the involvement and dedication of the prefessors and just the staff in general. As long as you do what is expected of you (turning in forms/papers, reading before class, taking notes, studying, attending class) they are willing to work with you for pretty much any situation. It's nice not to be intimidated by people you depend so much on, especially when you first go to college. I kept hearing about how professors don't care. Either the people that said that weren't trying or Miami is different.

I absolutely love the campus itself. Yes, it's huge and at first intimidating, but that's what makes it so exciting. It may take a little extra time to walk to a class or go pay a bill, but the scenery is beautiful, and I never get tired of admiring it. I also love that many student organizations offer on-campus activities to do on weekends, such as watch movies and hang out with other students. This kind of eliminates the pressure of the "steryotype" that all students do is party and drink.

Though as a whole, the campus and students can seem preppy or conservative, and it was honestly a little difficult for me to make friends at first, I did end up finding my niche. I am an artsy person, a little punky/hippie, and that is not how most of the students are here. But regardless, I did find a close group of amazing friends who shared similar lifestyles and style in general. So the best thing was the people I met, when I finally found my friends.

The best thing about Miami University is the sense of 'love and honor', our most famous motto. No matter where you are in the world, seeing another Miami student or graduate evokes a strong sense of seeing an old friend or family member. The connection is strong and the desire to help your fellow Miami friend outweighs any differences you may have. Oxford is a small town where even if you don't know someones name, you can relate to them anyway.

The best thing about Miami is that it challenges you. In high school, I never had to work for my grades, and I had a 4.0. At Miami, there is a constant challenge which makes you strive to succeed. The classes give you freedom while giving you the tools to succeed in addition to you always getting something out of even a class you don't particularly like.

I am a commuter student at Miami, and my favorite thing about going to school every day is the commuter center. We have a room in the student center where we have lockers, a small kitchen area, couches, and a TV. It is a very welcoming atmosphere, and there are always people around to talk to or who are willing to help you with any course work you have.

From my experience the best thing about Miami University is the size of the school. At about 15,000 undergraduate students, I found that walking to class meant seeing at least one person you knew and at least one person you had never seen before. It was easy to make friends, but not so small that everyone knew everything about everyone else.