East Lansing, MI
Michigan State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Michigan State University

Erin

Definitely a college town. TONS of school pride! I always felt happy walking around campus and feeling like I was a part of it. It's beautiful and always made me smile. You meet the best people here. There are a lot of different types of people, but for the most part everyone is friendly and outgoing. I thought it was just right in size. Even with 45,000 people on campus, you always see people you know. But you also always have new people to meet. It was never overwhelming. Any smaller probably would have been underwhelming and boring for me. I like options. These were, without a doubt, the best four years of my life. Choosing this school was the best decision I've made in my life so far. I don't spend any time at the library, but most people do. My time is mostly spent with friends at my place (dorm or apt.) or at theirs. A lot of time is also spent on Grand River, (getting food, etc). Classes can be far away, but you figure out quickly the best way to get to them. It also gives you a lot more to explore. The most recent controversy on campus was Cedar Fest. A bunch of kids rioted for no reason and half of them didn't even go to MSU. Everyone just wanted to be able to say they were a part of something and it was an embarassment to people that actually take pride in the institution. In 2005, students didn't do anything disorderly. In 2008 it was embarassing, but I'm glad to say it wasn't all MSU students. Try all the different cafeterias...there are a lot and they all have different things to offer. Lafayette Square in Brody Complex is one of my favorites. They serve pasta, breadsticks, salad, and great cookies. Just trust me, if you like pasta you'll love this.

There are a lot of different people here, but almost everyone is easy to get along with. Since I'm not a minority, I haven't noticed very many problems with certain groups being left out or ostersized. I don't think it happens too often, but maybe certain groups see it differently from their perspective. For the most part, I think MSU students are very accepting. Most students wear sweatpants to class, especially if it is early. But again, this ranges. Some people dress all cute and some wear pajamas. It's also different day-to-day. No one really looks out of place no matter what they wear.

I love this school. It will always be a part of me. I'll miss these times for the rest of my life. Don't get too consumed in school. Play as hard as you work. You'll regret not balancing the two out. In the end, you can retake a class but you can't relive memories. Think about that. What will truly make you happy? Honestly, there is something at this school for everyone. You just have to figure out what fits best for you.

Partiers. Always have something to celebrate.

Since the student body is so big, the academic experience is different for everyone. It really depends on what you major in. For the most part, your first, most general classes will be very large lecture halls and the teacher won't know your name. Then as you get to more specific classes, the classes get smaller and you know your teachers and classmates. The difficulty of classes really depends on the classes you take and your major, too. As a psychology student, I feel I got off pretty easy. I probably played harder than I worked and got pretty close to graduating with honors. I didn't get too close to any professors, mostly because of the size of the classes. My smaller classes weren't interesting enough to me to try to get to know them very well. Some people do, though. Everything at this school is pretty much what you make of it. It all depends. You have the opportunity for almost anything. You can cater your life at MSU to yourself.

Use the dorms as your prime meeting place when you first get here - you may still be friends with the people you meet there when you graduate. I'm always awake at 2 am on a Tuesday. Usually dicking around on the internet and talking to people. People party every day. If you want to go out, you always have that option. But it is what you make of it. Some people never party and some always do. Weekends start on Thursday. St. Patty's Day is huge for MSU. GREEN and BEER...2 things we love. Halloween is also a big deal. Dress up just like you did 8 years ago. I'm more festive for holidays now than I was since I was 10 years old. We always find a reason to celebrate, and we do it big. Go to at least one football game. Everyone here has Spartan Spirit and it's fun even if we lose. Get Izzone tickets if you can...basketball games are the absolute BEST.

MSU is all right! Some say that it's to big, but most students don't have class on the golf courses, farm land, or grazing pastures. It takes about 45 minutes to walk from one end of campus to the other, but the grounds are so beautiful you don't get a chance to think about it. The bus system is great, the CATA bus will basically take you anywhere, from one end of campus to the other, and off if you need to go. You can get to the mall, apartments off campus, whereever with as bus pass. There are plenty of places to study on campus, from the four floors in the main libaray, to the several smaller libaries for each college. Don't forget that the academic buildings have planty of space for studying too, there's always enough room to find your own secret study place. If you just need to get away, go off campus which is across tha street to Grand River. There's plenty to do from shopping, eating, and even some clubbing.

MSU is somewhat diverse, but not as much as it should be, just like any other university. As a Black student, sometimes I may be one of two students of color, but it doesn't bother me because I grew up with a very diverse background. The higher you get in your majors, the less faces of color you'll see, but the dorms are a different story. I'm sure the school does this on purpose, but nost of the stuendts with similar races tend to live together. In a way it helps because, I don't think Caucasion people would be able to help me if I asked to borrow bee's wax for my hair. It makes you feel somewhat more comfortable because your around people that may somewhat have similar habits and living styles like your own. There's always an exception, but you can always move to a dorm that you feel most comfortable in. Every kind of student is represented at MSU, from prepy to homely, very religious to hell bound, and so on. Truth be told, if you like it, there's already a club started just for you.

I really don't know to much about the social life beyond campus, because I never had enough time to party to that magnitude. However, MSU's UAB sponsors many events and activities for students, from free bowling, the free viewing of recent theatre movies, concerts, open mic nights, craft nights, carnivals, and sometimes free food. On finals you can get a free massage or spa day at the union for a study break. Plus, there's also the midnight scream during finals week when at 12am you can scream out of your window to release some stress.

most of the Professors I've encountered at MSU have been excellent, the good ones don't mind talking to you after class and giving a little extra help when it's needed. One of the professors knew exactly who I was and pick me out of a class of over 200 students after just one quick chat about homework. There'll aslo really understanding when real life happens too, as llong as you can in some way communicate with them, they'll help you out. I was able to leave a few days early for my aun'ts wedding and even got to turn in a few assignments late because my best friend had a baby. But don't do it to often because, they can smell through the bs. The bad part about academics at MSU, because the professors are so cool, it only compensates for the difficulty of the class. Some classes are a cake walk depending on the studnet, but I've been in classes where the curve was only thing keeping the very brightest students afloat. Don't sleep on it, because it'll come back to bite you.

Not in the least, every school has a few students who party all the time, but MSU is no different from any other prestigous college. Many of the students who do party at MSU are not even students of the college. They leave thier own schools to come and trash mine. It's ridiculous, because now the collge that I have to graduate from has the the bad rep, especially after the infamous "Cedar Fest."

MSU students are rowdy, hard partiers, they don't study, and they don't go to class.

Sami

MSU, is a great university, one of the best, our huge amount of school pride, the great amount of diversity around campus, the multiple study abroad programs, the beautiful campus, and the wide range of courses and majors. MSU is a great university to attend. While attending MSU I have not just learned academic wise, but I have learned a great deal about myself and my opinions on various subjects. MSU is a place of not only learning, but of growth.

MSU's student body is very diverse. I am friends with many people from different racial, ethnic, religious, etc. backgrounds. Even though they may look different from me they, we all relate easily. I am involved in one group called MRULE- Multi Racial Unity Living Experience where we talk about social and political injustics and issues. It has helped me become aware of the impact that segregation and racism has had on this country and others. I have noticed that many students tend to stick to their own racial backgroud, but I am one who is not afraid of bridgeing the racial barrior by being friends to all.

MSU is an excellent university to attend, because it has everything a student could want or need!

MSU's classes range very widely. One can take almost any class on campus and then many others in the study abroad program. Many teachers do not know my name, but there are a few that I have become personal with, that know my face and name. Classes are difficult, but very rewarding and fulfulling. I have not enjoyed many classes, but they have taught me to persivere against the odds and do my best.

MSU is not a party school, many students focus on their studies. Many belong to the multipe colleges within campus, proving their dedication to school work. There are many students that are higher income, predominantly white, but there is also many minorities and people on the lower end of the income scale, who thrive in MSU's academia.

Social Life is booming. There is always something to do. Attend local activites put on my the University Activities Board, attend Greek activities, hall and floor socials, hang out on Grand River, or chilling in a dorm room. Many people do party and drink, but there are many other better and wiser activities to do around campus.

Some stereotypes about MSU is that there are a lot of parties and nobody hardly ever studys and that MSU students are majority rich, white students that come from privileged households.

Terry

MSU pride is awesome! Every student turns into a spartan from the day they set foot here. The student body supports the sports teams through the the good times (basketball!) and the bad (football). When you're standing in the student section and everyone's cheering their loudest you can't help but be proud of being a part of something so huge. Speaking of huge, I was a little intimidated by MSU's size. Turns out I wouldn't have it any other way. You can always make a big institution smaller by getting involved with things you're interested in, but you can't make a small college bigger. MSU has everything and more to offer - there's even a coffee club here!

The campus here is diverse. There is one thing that almost everyone has in common though: friendliness. My first year here was eye-opening because I came from a town that wasn't diverse at all. People here have opinions and they aren't afraid to express them, but everyone is open to hearing about others' opinions. Almost 90% of the student body is from Michigan, but that's not to say you can't find anyone else - my roommate this year was from Laramie, Wyoming.

Classes here can be intimidating because some of them are pretty big. But, if you make the effort to get to know your professor, chances are they'll get to know you too. Go to office hours - the professors WANT to see you and they want to help you to the best of their ability. In general, the students here aren't competitive, they're cooperative. It's not uncommon for people to form study groups to help each other out, rather than worrying about other people scoring higher than they will.

There are definitely those who choose to get out of control, and it's unfortunate that these select few ruin MSU's reputation as a first-class institution. The vast majority of us here are serious about what we do. We know how to have fun, but most of us are smart enough not to let it interfere with grades.

When people hear the name MSU, they think that all we do here is party and riot (like Cedarfest, 2008). Many think that MSU is synonymous to alcohol abuse.

The friends I met my first year at State were all from my floor in the dorm. We were all very social and left our doors open from the beginning of the year, and everyone became very close. We all ate together at dinner and did various activities around campus together, like the free movies at the lecture halls on the weekends. None of us joined fraternities or sororities, but they are an important part of the student body. Many of the parties around here are at the frat houses.

Devin

- Stereotypes about MSU students are that we are not smart at all and that we party way too much. - People think MSU is inferior to the University of Michigan in every conceivable way.

- Both of these stereotypes are inaccurate. - MSU students are extremely intelligent and study hard. Partying is done occasionally and not more than any other school. - UofM and MSU both have programs in which they are strong in. For example, UofM has no journalism program so MSU is definitely the superior choice in that category.

Matt

The opportunities are endless. Academically and extraciricullarly there is no better place than MSU. If you cannot find the right major here then there is something wrong.

I find that most people here are similar minded to myself with a balance of study and socialization. I get along with almost every one here and enjoy my time spent with my classmates.

The best thing to do is check it out yourself, i was accepted everywhere i applied (including UofM) and based on my visit i knew east lansing and MSU was right for me.

Party School not focused on education more about the social aspect. Too big of a school to get a good education

No, i have found the exact opposite. If you are not a driven student there are pits and cracks you can fall into however this can happen at any school in my opinion.

I have found a major that fits me perfectly. I have a mix of big and small classes (18-300) and the education is priceless.

I love the atmosphere in East Lansing and there is so much to offer through the university that there is never a dull moment.

Erin

Unfortunately, because state is so large that is it near to impossible to really know your professors in the basic college courses. Thankfully, as you focus more on your major you do get to know your professors a bit more personally.

MSU students do know how to have fun but they are also very serious about their college career. During finals week you cannot even find a table at the numerous libraries across campus or at the union.

Erin

I love being a spartan! Learn the fight song, buy more green articles of clothing, and practice bonging beer before you get here. The campus is large, but just one bike ride around campus and you will have it down. Invest in a bike. You won't be a tool riding it, it will really help you get around. Don't ride in the winter. Then you will be a tool. Go to to Douglas J Aveda Institute, boys and girls, to get your hair cut etc. They give 30% off to students an there tea is amazing! Take the #1 cata into Lansing and go to a lugnuts game. Catas aren't scary, just do it. Get a fake ID if you are living here in the summer and are not 21. Seriously.

MSU is so large you can find every type of person here. Greek life is huge and its a good time. I am not Greek, however, I would be if I wasn't a transfer student. Find what fits, there are so many organizations you can join. Students wear everything from PJs to heals to class. If its 3pm I suggest not wearing either though. Its tacky.

GO TO MSU!!! SPARTY on... cheesy but true.

Join a sorority or Frat if you are into it. If you aren't into join a club that fits your major or that you are interested in. Get a job and network with locals. You will have a lot of free time and its a great way to meet people in the area who have know of fun things to do. Join an Im sport!! You don't have to be good at it! Its really competitive once you get to the finals, but you are just playing for fun you probably won't get that far anyway. Its so much fun do it! Go to the MSU website and type in events in the search engine. You can find open skate times, theater performances, planetarium times, art museums, rodeos, monster truck rallies...

Favorite class is sailing! I think its Kin 107e. Take it! You sleep on a boat and drink with captain joe! NEVER TAKE FCE 444! Unless you are really into writing 32 page research papers. Get involved in an organization that has to do with your major. Im in PR so I joined PRSSA. You can do advertising etc. It will help with networking. If you don't know what you want to do, look into packaging. Its a low key major with great benefits after college!

yes! When it comes to riots however, 2/3 of all students arrested are not from MSU. They are visiting from other colleges. So MSU students are wild.... but we are also not stupid.

Daryl

Michigan State University is one of the most highly acclaimed universities in the country without having to brag about it. If you are looking for a campus that excels at academics, athletics, and extracurricular programs and activities, this is the college for you. This is the ultimate college experience in more ways than one. This is a school with camaraderie and spirit with intelligence and work ethic. I am proud to be a part of this university.

There is a large, diverse population on this campus. Students are spirited and fun in general. Some students have a tendency to play off media stereotypes of MSU and try to make a name for themselves. These people give MSU a bad reputation but are in no way an example of the majority of students at this great institution. There is little to no bragging or conceit like you might find on other campuses. There is a good mix of political views, religion, gender, and culture. There is so much to learn from my peers around me.

MSU was my first choice for universities and now that I've graduated I am SO glad that I chose this university. I am SO proud to be a Spartan!!

There are countless numbers of student groups and organizations on campus. I participated in Alternative Spring Break through the university and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. There is so much to do on campus from theatrical productions at the Wharton Center to concerts and sports at the Breslin Center. There are cultural activities and artistic activities. People are very social. There is an active night life and alway something to do. We have shopping on Grand River and the zoo in Lansing. The University Activities Board plans really fun events that receive great turn out that are an excellent way for students to get involved and meet people. They plan events every day of the week that are very entertaining.

A stereotype is by definition a generalization. So to ask if these stereotypes are accurate is asking if the generalization applies to everyone and to that I would say no. Does it apply to even the majority? Certainly not. It is what the media likes to portray that causes these stereotypes.

MSU has the top education program in the country. They also offer almost every major imaginable. If they don't have the program you need here they will help you to study abroad to a place that will give you a diverse experience and make you more well rounded. Classes are relatively small but thought provoking. I have only had a few bad professors. I have also had a few professors that have changed my life. Academics are competitive but not cutthroat. At this university you will learn about many different perspectives but are allowed to have your own without being ridiculed. You will be ready for the real world when you leave this university. The amount of support before, during, and after you time here at MSU is incredible. This university is here for you 100% of the way.

Party school Slackers Not as prestigious as University of Michigan Riots

Kristen

MSU's large student population is great for meeting new people and finding your niche. There are loads of opportunities to find jobs and internships both on campus and off. The dorms are some of the nicest in the state and if you're a girl you should definitely look into VanHoosen Hall.

I was a member of the Spartan Marching Band for four years and created some of my best friendships and memories through my experiences in the band.

I was in the Professional Writing program at Michigan State and my program was relatively small (approx. 60 students). Our classes were capped at 15 but often only had 8 students. I had the opportunity to work with several non-profit organizations in my classes and help them revamp their marketing materials. In my experience, professors adhere to their office hours and are always willing to meet with you during those times if you have questions or just want to chat. I built relationships with my department head and several of my professors that wrote letters of recommendation for me and also helped me find jobs/internships.

MSU is often stereotyped as a "party school" and I've been told MSU girls are cuter than girls who attend the University of Michigan. ;)

Michigan State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.