East Lansing, MI
Michigan State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Michigan State University

Kristen

MSU's large student population is great for meeting new people and finding your niche. There are loads of opportunities to find jobs and internships both on campus and off. The dorms are some of the nicest in the state and if you're a girl you should definitely look into VanHoosen Hall.

I was a member of the Spartan Marching Band for four years and created some of my best friendships and memories through my experiences in the band.

I was in the Professional Writing program at Michigan State and my program was relatively small (approx. 60 students). Our classes were capped at 15 but often only had 8 students. I had the opportunity to work with several non-profit organizations in my classes and help them revamp their marketing materials. In my experience, professors adhere to their office hours and are always willing to meet with you during those times if you have questions or just want to chat. I built relationships with my department head and several of my professors that wrote letters of recommendation for me and also helped me find jobs/internships.

MSU is often stereotyped as a "party school" and I've been told MSU girls are cuter than girls who attend the University of Michigan. ;)

Jillian

I think MSU is a beautiful campus with a great learning environment. MSU has a great reputation as an academic success, and the people around here are great, too. There are few instances of crimes at MSU.

I live off campus to save money. The dorm halls typically rape you of cash. I've calculated that its more than $600/month to live in tight quarters with no privacy. For the past 3 years, I have rented out rooms for only $350.

In the first couple of years at MSU, lecture halls are huge with sometimes almost 500 people in a class. They do this because these generic courses are required by most areas of studies, and it is most efficient to teach everyone the information at once, and test students using a "scantron" multiple answer type quiz. In the last couple years of college, the classes become much smaller into groups of 25 or less. Participation becomes mandatory, and you can only miss 3 days without it affecting your grade. This is the hardest part of the class, because after the first few years of MSU, it starts to become old, and going to class day in and day out sometimes wears down on you.

Not always, I never drink, but thats the lifestyle I chose. I think there are lots of good people at MSU too.

Jackie

MSU is a college town, and i wouldnt have it any other way. Tailgating during football season is the best time of the year. Tons of school spirit even though our football team isnt the greatest? Basketball season is a ton of fun too! Its a huge school but you dont feel like just a number in the crowd. You become really close with friends, peers, and falculty members!

Very diverse student body. From all areas of the world. We have a ton of international and out of state students, however its dominated by Michiganers.

We LOVE to party. Somewhat true but we certainly spend alot more time in the library then we do doing keg stands. Also, MSU is alot "more attractive" than U of M, which is obviously totally true.

Since it is such a HUGE campus, there is always things happened. The library actually is kind of a hang out at 2 in the morning most nights. You run into so many people you know! on the weekends i generally go out with my friends and just kind of roam the city of east lansing from house to house in good spirits usually followed by a trip to taco bell. I met my closest friends on the Skating Team and on my floor last year in the dorms.

I would say I spend a solid 20 hours in the library a week, then again I am a exercise physiology major soooo i guess i was asking for it? Whats great at MSU is that if you put time and effort into your classes you can do well.

Allyson

If I had just one opportunity to show MSU off to someone, I would hope to have that opportunity in the fall. I've been to many campuses across the country and MSU is definitely unique. The Red Cedar River gives it class and character, particularly in the fall. Around mid-October, when the leaves have turned their brilliant hues of orange and yellow, well...that's my favorite time of year to be on campus! Some people say MSU is too large, but I have to say that the size of the university is one of my favorite parts about it. Sure, the class sizes are often larger, but MSU compensates by offering endless opportunities to seek academic assistance, as well as meet with professors and credible teaching assistants. Also, from a cultural prospective, MSU boasts such a diverse population. For these reasons, I dare to say that MSU does a phenomenal job of growing with the ever-changing time, without losing all the intimacy required for a quality education.

From a social standpoint, MSU's political exposure and diversity is what sets it apart from other universities. Here, students are encouraged to become exercise their political rights and share their beliefs and opinions. MSU is not narrow-minded and every idea is a welcomed voice.

1."MSU students drink and party a lot." 2."East Lansing is a roudy place with lots of riots" 3."MSU's campus is so big that it's impossible not to get lost" 4."Parking on campus sucks"

East Lansing is a city that never sleeps. It you're up studying at 2am and your stomach starts grumbling, you can guarantee that any one of the many restaurants along Grand River Ave. will be open and crawling with college students. Don't feel like going out? Most places deliver late into the night. On other nice thing about MSU is that on-campus dining options are broad and their hours of operation are long. MSU's libraries stay open 24 most days of the week, with is actually a rarity at most universities.

The best class I ever took was an interpersonal communications course team-taught by a husband and wife. I'm not a communications major, but this class was relevant to life in general. Absolutely every career ad every relationship required communication skills in order to be successful. Beyond the relevancy of this course, the pair of professors were very real with the students and they were absolutely hilarious! I actually got excited to go to class!

1. Not ALL MSU students drink and party. As with any school, you will encounter all walks of life and life choices. 2. When was our last riot? 3. I wholly disagree! The campus is laid out very smartly! 4. YES!

Reese

The best thing about MSU is the people. In general, students are laid back but not lazy, fun but not out of control, and smart but not arrogant about it. I really like that the school is large, it gives you the option of being annoymous if you want to be. I spend a lot of time in class buildings, computer labs, the library and just walking around mostly. People's reaction to me going here depends on who they are- if they went to U of M, they look down their noses and sneer a bit when I tell them, if they went to western then they say, "sweet!."

Most MSU students seem to be from various places around Michigan and the midwest mostly.

I think that a lot of people assume that MSU is a huge party school. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think that MSU students like to party, but that isn't the only thing the school is known for. Kids from other schools think that because we go here, we didn't try in high school or we are stupid but that is completely untrue. As far as I know, MSU has been getting harder and harder to get into over the years because they are trying to make a better reputation besides "party school." MSU is definitely defined by more than just partying and there are a lot of really bright students here to prove it.

Althetic Events and the events(like tailgating) that go along with them seem to be the most popular group activities on campus. Football, basketball, and hockey seem to gather the largest crowds. I met most of my closest friends in the dorms and in classes, as well as meeting people through other people. If I were awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am probably hanging out with my roommate or my boyfriend watching tv reruns or having a dance party! Fraternities and sororities are pretty dominant on campus, but there is definitely a significant amount of people who are not involved in the greek system at all. Frats are popular party spots- we go to Theta Chi a lot. I would say that there are people partying on most thursday, friday, and saturday nights. There are way more people out when the weather is warm!! If you don't want to drink on a saturday, there are always movies playing at Wells Hall, there are events and bowling at the union, there are dozens of restaurants, and there is always just hanging out and watching a movie as an option!

Some professors know students' names, but only in small classes for the most part. It is important for students to get to know their professors as well as they can because they can serve as really good options for recommendations after graduating. Students are studying around campus all the time- if you look in any building during a passing time, there are students scattered all over the place studying. I am an english major and I really enjoy the classes, although I hate the stigma that comes with the major. I have no interest in being a teacher but because I'm a girl and I'm in the english program, a lot of people make assumptions about what my goals are for myself.

Vick

The best thing about MSU is how large it is. It has plenty of great resources on just about anything you can think of. There are great lectures and programs to get involved in. It seems like the opportunities to get involved beyond just class are endless, almost impossible to escape. As a freshman I thought the school might be too large, but I've grown to appreciate it over the years. When I tell people I go to MSU, they usually say "Good School". Sometimes they'll commence to heckle me with antics involving Ohio State or University of Michigan being better at football, because that's how most people relate to big ten schools. I spend most of my time on campus in class or the union. I'd rather study at the union because I often have meetings there, they have a nice food court and convenience store, my favorite coffe shop, and a quiet "hide-away" to study in teh women's lounge. Besides, it is easier to park there than it is to park at the library. East Lansign is definitely a college town. The campus takes up much of the city, and student off-campus living and recreation is another considerably large portion of the city. I don't have an opinion on MSU administration. The last biggest school controversy I remember had to do with fair journalism and the State News. I really don't hear much about what's going on around campus from day to day because I live off campus and I don't read the State News anymore. There is TONS of school pride, but I've seen more school pride at other schools. It seems to be connected to a school's performance in NCAA sports, for Big Ten schools.

I know all of my professors names. My current favorite class is MGT325 with Dr. Roth, a course on organizational behavior. My current least favorite class is ISP203A with Dr. Sibley, a course on geology. It should be pretty easy, but the professor goes out of his way to trick students. As a result most students grow frustrated, become discourgaed, stop attending lecture three days a week. I'm not sure I've learned much from him. I study 4 days a week for two hours, usually. This might increase if it's midterm or near the end of the term. My friends and I often hold intellectual conversations otuside of class. It usually starts with celebrity gossip, a news story, a book, movie or somethign of the sort. And I find that everyone weighs in differently, depending on what they are studying. I haven't encountered too many competative students in my college (economics). The most unique class I've taken was ear and sight training for music. It's interesting to be tested on how well you can hear and identify chords and intervals, and rhythm schemes, because I never really identified that as something test worthy. It was difficult for lots of people! I don't spend time with my professors outside of class. I generally correspond thorugh email. I think my academic program is challenging and I feel as though it was prepared me for econometrics, but hasn't really addressed other parts of economics although I am persuing a bachelors of art. My major is well balanced between education for it's own sake and towards getting a job, but I think that's only because I have a business cognate. That really depends on the major.

MSU is for the people who didn't get into University of Michigan. MSU is a party school. MSU is a diverse campus. MSU students are rowdy and like to riot.

Lydia

MSU is a huge campus with an enormous amount of people. But that's part of what makes it so great. There are tons of ways to network and find people who are passionate about the same things you are. I found my calling doing social justice work for women's rights... something I never would have found if I hadn't gotten involved in Women's Council - a feminist student organization. There is always some sort of controversy surrounding diversity on campus, so it's easy to become involved and fight for what you believe in.

Although MSU has a lot of students, it is not hugely diverse. It is still primarily white, middle class students. But there are a lot of groups that create communities and are dedicated to inclusion on campus. There are black caucuses and queer caucuses in all of the dorm complexes, which is a great way to meet people. Many students seem apathetic to most political things, but there are definitely pockets of activists who are willing to create change in the world!

The major stereotype about MSU students is that they are all party people who start riots and get arrested. It is believed that all MSU is good for is our parties and keggers.

Although MSU students may know how to host a great party, and we might become completely irrational about our basketball games, MSU has so much more to offer. Not only does it provide an excellent education, but there are so many student groups and activities on campus that no matter who you are or what your interests are, you will be sure to find a group you will love. Partying isn't the only way to meet amazing people!

A lot of the underclassmen courses are HUGE lectures... and typically the professor won't know your name. But the great thing is that once you reach the higher level courses and truly start focusing on your degree, the class sizes get smaller. Many of my classes are discussion based and close ties are made with other students in the class. Some of my greatest classes were my Women's Studies courses. These foster many intellectual conversations outside of the classroom for me and many of my classmates.

There are tons of organizations on campus... so it's hard to tell which ones are the most popular or active. I am involved in Women's Council - a feminist student organization. Most of the meetings are discussion based, but we do activism as well. We host events and workshops and do general education on a regular basis. Through this group, I met my closest friends as well. If I am up really late, I am generally doing homework... but on the weekends, I am probably out at the club or hanging out with friends. Weekends are definitely my time to catch up on my social life. During the week I try to concentrate on getting all my course work done. Saturday nights can also include poetry slams, or other activities hosted in Lansing... or just hanging out with good friends.

Emmerson

MSU seemed large at first, but thats only because I didnt know anyone that went to the college...as soon as I joined a few clubs, and my sorority, the campus got a lot smaller because I started running into people that I knew and could find the locations a lot easier

MSU says that the campus is diversified, but I beg to differ...there are definately dorms that are just for the "blacks", "asians", "nerds", jocks and etc. MSU dorm life is not diversified at all.

to a certain degree, but you get that at any college

MSU is big, MSU students are stuck up, MSU is a party school

Allison

When most people hear that I go to MSU, they scrunch their noses and become condescending saying "Oh you must not have been smart enough, involved enough, or good enough to go to U of M". But this is simply not true. I got into every school I applied to (including some Ivy Leagues) but I CHOOSE State. State's Honors College provides wonderful opportunities to create your own program free of the typical undergraduate prerequisites. Plus, scholars at State get much more financial aid to attend than at other schools. Why would I pay to go to U of M when MSU is paying me and I'm getting an education from the number one College of Education in the nation?

While MSU is diverse with students representing many nations and racial backgrounds, most students do not take advantage of this diversity. In the cafeteria, you will likely huge segregation--the Asians sit with the Asians, the whites with the whites, and so on. Furthermore the resident halls are segregated (unofficially) by races. There are some resident halls that are >80% African-American with others that are <8% African American.

Everyone at MSU is Greek and/or drunk party animals

Absolutely not. While many students are a part of the Greek system (>3000) that definitely does not include everyone. Typically the people who do go Greek enjoy drinking and partying. But again, this does not classify the entire MSU community. Most people like to go out once in a while and have a drink or two.

While the College of Education is deemed the #1 in the nation, it's undergrad program is far from it. This #1 title is regarding their Graduate programs and definitely does not include its undergraduate one. In the undergraduate program, expect to be continuously on the verge of a meltdown. The COE does not pay attention to individual student's needs (i.e. what grade level we are interested in when giving us placements in the schools) and the classes vary widely depending on the teacher. There are definitely some phenomenal instructors such as Cindy Covell and Jeanine Stanaway but there are also terrible ones who seem to be senile, spiteful, forgetful, just trying to bide their time until full retirement. The program focuses too much on theory and not enough on practice--it is completely unrealistic to write a 17-page single spaced lesson plan for a 1 hour lesson!

University organizations try to provide ample opportunities to have fun on the weekend without drinking. Every week there are free movies that were recently at the theaters to on-campus students ($2 for off-campus students), there are also typically comedians, concerts, etc. Special events are also hosted throughout the year, including Casino Night, Open (Ice) Skating, etc.

Amber

MSU is a friendly campus above all. That is what I have noticed that stands out to me from other campuses. Students are typically willing to help each other out, lend notes, set up study session, give directions, and more even if you are not actual friends. I feel as though there is a drive to help all succeed rather than a competition amongst the students to out beat each other. I also think that MSU's campus is one of the best, most welcoming campuses I have ever been to. It is beautiful and open allowing students to interact, play football, volleyball, frisbee, layout in the sun and read, and just enjoy the atmosphere of the college. There are so many green spots and great places to enjoy your lunch or to sit and do homework between classes. It is a relaxing atmosphere that is hard to come by.

No, there is partying that goes on, but no more than any other school. There is much more to MSU than the party scene and many students are highly involved in other activities. We are also composed of many highly qualified students that can rival many big ten schools. Many people do not realize that there are numerous students that choose to go to MSU over other schools because of the highly esteemed programs that it offers.

MSU has a great student activities board and there are a wealth of things that students can get involved in. I am a senior and I do not know even a quarter of the things that are available on this campus. With this large amount of opportunities you do have to take the initiative to find and search out your interests on your own. Many people do not realize what is out there for them and do not get involved until sophomore or junior year because they did not look for the opportunities and waited for them to come to them. There are enough organizations to satisfy any student though. Frats and sororities are popular and many students are involved in them, but just as many, me included are not involved in the Greek community at all. It all depends on your interest and personality type. MSU is known for partying, but anyone who comes here for that will be very let down. We are no different from any other schools social life and have many other activities that people take advantage of on the weekends such as Residence life cinemas, crafts, sporting events, the annual Lansing Holiday celebration (Silver Bells in the City) and other various things. Football games are a must on Saturdays in the fall with Homecoming every year, and basketball games are huge in the winter. Hockey is also a growing interest. Many activities are also centered around the organizations that you are in so I highly recommend that you get involved in the university in the way that interests you.

I think that classes at MSU are very comparable to other universities. They are typical college courses....some professors know your name while others haven't a clue, some classes you have to study for hours for while others are easy 4 points. It all depends on the class, professor, and situation. Most students study very frequently and the MSU library is always busy open 24 hours. The best classes I ever took was the French Art class and the Teaching with Technology class. I really enjoyed them, they were interesting and the grading/course load was reasonable. For the most part students are not competitive with each other and rather work together to help each other achieve which makes for a great learning community.

That they are large partiers, just drink all the time, and are mediocre students

Michigan State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.