East Lansing, MI
Michigan State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Michigan State University

Sami

MSU, is a great university, one of the best, our huge amount of school pride, the great amount of diversity around campus, the multiple study abroad programs, the beautiful campus, and the wide range of courses and majors. MSU is a great university to attend. While attending MSU I have not just learned academic wise, but I have learned a great deal about myself and my opinions on various subjects. MSU is a place of not only learning, but of growth.

MSU's student body is very diverse. I am friends with many people from different racial, ethnic, religious, etc. backgrounds. Even though they may look different from me they, we all relate easily. I am involved in one group called MRULE- Multi Racial Unity Living Experience where we talk about social and political injustics and issues. It has helped me become aware of the impact that segregation and racism has had on this country and others. I have noticed that many students tend to stick to their own racial backgroud, but I am one who is not afraid of bridgeing the racial barrior by being friends to all.

MSU is an excellent university to attend, because it has everything a student could want or need!

MSU's classes range very widely. One can take almost any class on campus and then many others in the study abroad program. Many teachers do not know my name, but there are a few that I have become personal with, that know my face and name. Classes are difficult, but very rewarding and fulfulling. I have not enjoyed many classes, but they have taught me to persivere against the odds and do my best.

MSU is not a party school, many students focus on their studies. Many belong to the multipe colleges within campus, proving their dedication to school work. There are many students that are higher income, predominantly white, but there is also many minorities and people on the lower end of the income scale, who thrive in MSU's academia.

Social Life is booming. There is always something to do. Attend local activites put on my the University Activities Board, attend Greek activities, hall and floor socials, hang out on Grand River, or chilling in a dorm room. Many people do party and drink, but there are many other better and wiser activities to do around campus.

Some stereotypes about MSU is that there are a lot of parties and nobody hardly ever studys and that MSU students are majority rich, white students that come from privileged households.

Terry

MSU pride is awesome! Every student turns into a spartan from the day they set foot here. The student body supports the sports teams through the the good times (basketball!) and the bad (football). When you're standing in the student section and everyone's cheering their loudest you can't help but be proud of being a part of something so huge. Speaking of huge, I was a little intimidated by MSU's size. Turns out I wouldn't have it any other way. You can always make a big institution smaller by getting involved with things you're interested in, but you can't make a small college bigger. MSU has everything and more to offer - there's even a coffee club here!

The campus here is diverse. There is one thing that almost everyone has in common though: friendliness. My first year here was eye-opening because I came from a town that wasn't diverse at all. People here have opinions and they aren't afraid to express them, but everyone is open to hearing about others' opinions. Almost 90% of the student body is from Michigan, but that's not to say you can't find anyone else - my roommate this year was from Laramie, Wyoming.

Classes here can be intimidating because some of them are pretty big. But, if you make the effort to get to know your professor, chances are they'll get to know you too. Go to office hours - the professors WANT to see you and they want to help you to the best of their ability. In general, the students here aren't competitive, they're cooperative. It's not uncommon for people to form study groups to help each other out, rather than worrying about other people scoring higher than they will.

There are definitely those who choose to get out of control, and it's unfortunate that these select few ruin MSU's reputation as a first-class institution. The vast majority of us here are serious about what we do. We know how to have fun, but most of us are smart enough not to let it interfere with grades.

When people hear the name MSU, they think that all we do here is party and riot (like Cedarfest, 2008). Many think that MSU is synonymous to alcohol abuse.

The friends I met my first year at State were all from my floor in the dorm. We were all very social and left our doors open from the beginning of the year, and everyone became very close. We all ate together at dinner and did various activities around campus together, like the free movies at the lecture halls on the weekends. None of us joined fraternities or sororities, but they are an important part of the student body. Many of the parties around here are at the frat houses.

Devin

- Stereotypes about MSU students are that we are not smart at all and that we party way too much. - People think MSU is inferior to the University of Michigan in every conceivable way.

- Both of these stereotypes are inaccurate. - MSU students are extremely intelligent and study hard. Partying is done occasionally and not more than any other school. - UofM and MSU both have programs in which they are strong in. For example, UofM has no journalism program so MSU is definitely the superior choice in that category.

Matt

The opportunities are endless. Academically and extraciricullarly there is no better place than MSU. If you cannot find the right major here then there is something wrong.

I find that most people here are similar minded to myself with a balance of study and socialization. I get along with almost every one here and enjoy my time spent with my classmates.

The best thing to do is check it out yourself, i was accepted everywhere i applied (including UofM) and based on my visit i knew east lansing and MSU was right for me.

Party School not focused on education more about the social aspect. Too big of a school to get a good education

No, i have found the exact opposite. If you are not a driven student there are pits and cracks you can fall into however this can happen at any school in my opinion.

I have found a major that fits me perfectly. I have a mix of big and small classes (18-300) and the education is priceless.

I love the atmosphere in East Lansing and there is so much to offer through the university that there is never a dull moment.

Erin

Unfortunately, because state is so large that is it near to impossible to really know your professors in the basic college courses. Thankfully, as you focus more on your major you do get to know your professors a bit more personally.

MSU students do know how to have fun but they are also very serious about their college career. During finals week you cannot even find a table at the numerous libraries across campus or at the union.

Erin

I love being a spartan! Learn the fight song, buy more green articles of clothing, and practice bonging beer before you get here. The campus is large, but just one bike ride around campus and you will have it down. Invest in a bike. You won't be a tool riding it, it will really help you get around. Don't ride in the winter. Then you will be a tool. Go to to Douglas J Aveda Institute, boys and girls, to get your hair cut etc. They give 30% off to students an there tea is amazing! Take the #1 cata into Lansing and go to a lugnuts game. Catas aren't scary, just do it. Get a fake ID if you are living here in the summer and are not 21. Seriously.

MSU is so large you can find every type of person here. Greek life is huge and its a good time. I am not Greek, however, I would be if I wasn't a transfer student. Find what fits, there are so many organizations you can join. Students wear everything from PJs to heals to class. If its 3pm I suggest not wearing either though. Its tacky.

GO TO MSU!!! SPARTY on... cheesy but true.

Join a sorority or Frat if you are into it. If you aren't into join a club that fits your major or that you are interested in. Get a job and network with locals. You will have a lot of free time and its a great way to meet people in the area who have know of fun things to do. Join an Im sport!! You don't have to be good at it! Its really competitive once you get to the finals, but you are just playing for fun you probably won't get that far anyway. Its so much fun do it! Go to the MSU website and type in events in the search engine. You can find open skate times, theater performances, planetarium times, art museums, rodeos, monster truck rallies...

Favorite class is sailing! I think its Kin 107e. Take it! You sleep on a boat and drink with captain joe! NEVER TAKE FCE 444! Unless you are really into writing 32 page research papers. Get involved in an organization that has to do with your major. Im in PR so I joined PRSSA. You can do advertising etc. It will help with networking. If you don't know what you want to do, look into packaging. Its a low key major with great benefits after college!

yes! When it comes to riots however, 2/3 of all students arrested are not from MSU. They are visiting from other colleges. So MSU students are wild.... but we are also not stupid.

Daryl

Michigan State University is one of the most highly acclaimed universities in the country without having to brag about it. If you are looking for a campus that excels at academics, athletics, and extracurricular programs and activities, this is the college for you. This is the ultimate college experience in more ways than one. This is a school with camaraderie and spirit with intelligence and work ethic. I am proud to be a part of this university.

There is a large, diverse population on this campus. Students are spirited and fun in general. Some students have a tendency to play off media stereotypes of MSU and try to make a name for themselves. These people give MSU a bad reputation but are in no way an example of the majority of students at this great institution. There is little to no bragging or conceit like you might find on other campuses. There is a good mix of political views, religion, gender, and culture. There is so much to learn from my peers around me.

MSU was my first choice for universities and now that I've graduated I am SO glad that I chose this university. I am SO proud to be a Spartan!!

There are countless numbers of student groups and organizations on campus. I participated in Alternative Spring Break through the university and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. There is so much to do on campus from theatrical productions at the Wharton Center to concerts and sports at the Breslin Center. There are cultural activities and artistic activities. People are very social. There is an active night life and alway something to do. We have shopping on Grand River and the zoo in Lansing. The University Activities Board plans really fun events that receive great turn out that are an excellent way for students to get involved and meet people. They plan events every day of the week that are very entertaining.

A stereotype is by definition a generalization. So to ask if these stereotypes are accurate is asking if the generalization applies to everyone and to that I would say no. Does it apply to even the majority? Certainly not. It is what the media likes to portray that causes these stereotypes.

MSU has the top education program in the country. They also offer almost every major imaginable. If they don't have the program you need here they will help you to study abroad to a place that will give you a diverse experience and make you more well rounded. Classes are relatively small but thought provoking. I have only had a few bad professors. I have also had a few professors that have changed my life. Academics are competitive but not cutthroat. At this university you will learn about many different perspectives but are allowed to have your own without being ridiculed. You will be ready for the real world when you leave this university. The amount of support before, during, and after you time here at MSU is incredible. This university is here for you 100% of the way.

Party school Slackers Not as prestigious as University of Michigan Riots

Kristen

MSU's large student population is great for meeting new people and finding your niche. There are loads of opportunities to find jobs and internships both on campus and off. The dorms are some of the nicest in the state and if you're a girl you should definitely look into VanHoosen Hall.

I was a member of the Spartan Marching Band for four years and created some of my best friendships and memories through my experiences in the band.

I was in the Professional Writing program at Michigan State and my program was relatively small (approx. 60 students). Our classes were capped at 15 but often only had 8 students. I had the opportunity to work with several non-profit organizations in my classes and help them revamp their marketing materials. In my experience, professors adhere to their office hours and are always willing to meet with you during those times if you have questions or just want to chat. I built relationships with my department head and several of my professors that wrote letters of recommendation for me and also helped me find jobs/internships.

MSU is often stereotyped as a "party school" and I've been told MSU girls are cuter than girls who attend the University of Michigan. ;)

Jillian

I think MSU is a beautiful campus with a great learning environment. MSU has a great reputation as an academic success, and the people around here are great, too. There are few instances of crimes at MSU.

I live off campus to save money. The dorm halls typically rape you of cash. I've calculated that its more than $600/month to live in tight quarters with no privacy. For the past 3 years, I have rented out rooms for only $350.

In the first couple of years at MSU, lecture halls are huge with sometimes almost 500 people in a class. They do this because these generic courses are required by most areas of studies, and it is most efficient to teach everyone the information at once, and test students using a "scantron" multiple answer type quiz. In the last couple years of college, the classes become much smaller into groups of 25 or less. Participation becomes mandatory, and you can only miss 3 days without it affecting your grade. This is the hardest part of the class, because after the first few years of MSU, it starts to become old, and going to class day in and day out sometimes wears down on you.

Not always, I never drink, but thats the lifestyle I chose. I think there are lots of good people at MSU too.

Jackie

MSU is a college town, and i wouldnt have it any other way. Tailgating during football season is the best time of the year. Tons of school spirit even though our football team isnt the greatest? Basketball season is a ton of fun too! Its a huge school but you dont feel like just a number in the crowd. You become really close with friends, peers, and falculty members!

Very diverse student body. From all areas of the world. We have a ton of international and out of state students, however its dominated by Michiganers.

We LOVE to party. Somewhat true but we certainly spend alot more time in the library then we do doing keg stands. Also, MSU is alot "more attractive" than U of M, which is obviously totally true.

Since it is such a HUGE campus, there is always things happened. The library actually is kind of a hang out at 2 in the morning most nights. You run into so many people you know! on the weekends i generally go out with my friends and just kind of roam the city of east lansing from house to house in good spirits usually followed by a trip to taco bell. I met my closest friends on the Skating Team and on my floor last year in the dorms.

I would say I spend a solid 20 hours in the library a week, then again I am a exercise physiology major soooo i guess i was asking for it? Whats great at MSU is that if you put time and effort into your classes you can do well.

Michigan State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.