East Lansing, MI
Michigan State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Michigan State University

Sabrina

I like that there's always something to do around campus, and it's usually free. There's always help all around campus with classes. My one complaint would have to be housing. Once you sign up for on campus housing, the only way you can get out is if you're married, pregnant, or have serious financial or health issues. I would definitely suggest moving off campus when you can. For one, the dorm food is just as bad as fast food; no matter how much you work out, you will still gain weight with the food (fries, pasta, and fried chicken everyday). Second, it will definitely save money. The meal plan alone is around $1300 a semester, and the average student in apartments spend around $600-700 a semester.

There are so many different groups on campus, it's impossible to not find at least one you're interested in.

It does help to get to know your professor, they will come in handy later. My biggest advice would be: DO NOT LET ADVISOR'S MAKE YOUR SCHEDULE! They will try to when you first arrive, but you can always change it. Go to www.allmsu.com to get advice on professors and classes. The advisor's will schedule with the worst professors and the worst class times. It is also a good idea to figure out all the classes you need to take for your major and create your own four-year plan. That is good to go over with your adviser, just don't let them make your schedule.

That all we do is drink and party everyday. Yea, weekends can sometimes get carried away, but it's usually only in fraternities and sororities; not on campus. My friends and I usually hang out in someones apartment and play cards. We'll have a few drinks, but nothing insane like many make us out to be.

Kyle

I LOVE the "big campus" atmosphere. State is agreat place to meet new people and start fresh. The campus is beautiful by the way. I also love "web enroll," which gives you the opportunity to choose your schedule from the comfort of your home or dorm room. When I tell people to go to MSU, they tend to get excited because of our reputation for partying. East Lansing is definitely a college town. Unlike U of M, MSU MAKES East Lansing. At U of M, Ann Arbor MAKES the campus. I would probably change the dorms to be a bit bigger, but it's your freshman year and you don't need that much space to make it work. The dorm food should be better. The food at the International Center is GREAT! Classes have been pretty good. It ALL depends on the professor you have though; yes, a topic can be boring, but if you have a good fun professor, you'll do well. The biggest recent controversy was probably Cedar Fest, and the fact that students were tear-gassed. It's like that every time there's a Cedar Fest though. There is a LOT of school pride for State; I love being a Spartan. I'll always remember Greek Week because my team won in 2008!! Rushing a fraternity was a great experience. It's not for everyone, but it's very fun I think; it definitely helped my social life a ton.

MSU's campus has a plethora of students from different backgrounds, races, creeds, religions...everything. You get a good mix at State. I don't think ANY student would feel "out of place" at Michigan State. Everyone is really nice and pretty accepting of everyone. I've see almost ANY kind of student you can think of a MSU. Most students wear jeans, t-shirts, skirts, sandals, hats, tank tops to class (you know...REGULAR clothes). Some like to dress up for class...and you CAN if you want; just depends on the person. All different types of students interact. College is a time to make friends with new and interesting people; branch out...meet someone different from your usual mold of friends. Most MSU students are probably from Michigan, but I've met students from California, Florida, Chicago, New York, Connecticut...even the Middle East. Students at State come from all over the world. Students are definitely politically aware and some more active than others. There are online polls of "who will you vote for" and "what do you think about this issue in America today." It just depends on the person; some are more aware/active than others. I would say that more people at State are politically left, but there is a good mix of left, right, center, and those who just don't care. For most kids, their future income is probably not that important right now; I would think they're just interested in graduating first.

Greek life is not that huge at State, probably less than 20% of the student body, but still fun none the less. Spartans are active in all sorts of different activities. There are Intermural sports, student athletes, theatre, Greek life, political groups, charity groups. I'm involved in the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity. We've done many charitable philanthropy events and we're in close relation with the Hillel house on campus. As a freshman this past year, I would say that people frequently leave their doors open welcoming in new people to talk to. The athletic events are VERY popular; the Izzone is the biggest student section in all of college basketball, I believe. And the student section at the football games is huge as well...AND loud. Other events are not AS popular, but like I said, there are SO many different kinds of people at MSU, that there is ALWAYS something for everyone to do. The dating scene is pretty funny actually because if you live in the dorms, then most likely you met in the dorms or at some party or something. A lot of people I know said they met their boyfriend or girlfriend at a party. Some were Greek Week partners. I met my closest friends through the fraternity. If you're awake at 2AM during the week, you're probably playing video games, watching TV, doing homework, hanging out, studying, or STILL PARTYING; I tended to go with the last one. Some of the traditions at State include: Cedar Fest, Welcome Week, Homecoming football game, Greek Week, guarding Sparty, Safe Halloween. Performers come to the Breslin Center and Wharton Center every few weeks as well. People tend to party a LOT. Thursday through Saturday is really when the weekend is for most students because a lot of the older students don't have Friday classes. Greek life is only important to those who are interested in it. If you're not it, your life won't be "incomplete," you'll just be into something else. Like I've said, there's ALWAYS something to do for everyone. Off campus there really is that much to do, unless you count the bars as being "off campus," i mean, there RIGHT there on Grand River. If you're counting everything from Grand River and North of there as "off campus," then you can go to the bar, go to restaurants, a couple clubs (Deja Vu, ha ha), fast food, the Meridian Mall, etc.

Professors will know your name if it's a class of about 30 or less. If you want to get to know the professor (AND have a better chance of doing well in the class), you MUST go up to them and at least introduce yourself. Teachers are there to help us learn, so you should ask them for help if you need it, and don't wait until the day of the final to ask for it. My favorite class was Theatre 101 because I LOVE acting, and I'm a theatre minor. I also liked my ISS 210 class with Zimmerman; she was very fun. I HATED ISS 325; it was interesting, but SO hard. Studying varies from student to student; I have friends who have NO social life because all they do is study. Me on the other hand? I hardly EVER study and I have a 3.4 overall so far. Class participation is welcomed, but it depends on the teacher whether or not you get graded hard for it or not. SOME students are competitive with each other. I would say in general that we like to help each other though...not like some OTHER schools where they tell their classmates "Oh you were sick, screw you. You should've gone to class" (U of M...hint hint, ha ha). MSU's academic requirements are not that bad. I'm an advertising major, so I don't have a hefty load of requirements, but I've heard that James Madison and Lyman Briggs (honors colleges) are obviously heavier workloads. I think MSU's education is geared to help you get a job after graduation. There are ALWAYS professors in your major that HAVE worked in the real world regarding the topic you're studying. For instance, my ADV 205 teacher worked for ad firms for much of her younger life. She just decided she wanted to teach it instead. There are always internship, scholarship, and apprenticeship opportunities through MSU after you graduate.

We DO know how to party. EVERY campus has kids who get MIP's/in trouble with the law. EVERY campus has kids who are into different drugs. EVERY campus has dumb AND smart kids. A lot of our girls ARE hot (ha ha), but I'm sure there is a good amount of attractive and unattractive people. Cedar Fest gets a little crazy, but what large gathering of people with alcohol DOESN'T get a little crazy? Our basketball team IS good. Our football team could use some improvement, but is still okay.

We know how to party! We're always getting in trouble with the law, we all smoke marijuana and snort cocaine, we're not very smart, our girls are hot, Cedar Fest is just one big angry mob, Basketball is good, our football team sucks, "if you can't go to U of M, go to State," etc.

MSU takes up 80% of East Lansing, MI. East Lansing is MSU and its a great city. Our school is very large and I wouldn't have it any other way. You're constantly learning about the school and its history even if you don't try to. There are so many students that you can potentially have future ties with, its great for networking after you graduate. If you go to MSU, you are proud of it! The one time of year that is the most fun is Football season. I will always come back for tailgating and rooting for the Spartans, the students and alumni do a great job at coming together and creating a great tailgate scene.

Most students from MSU are from the state of Michigan, that breaks down to most being from Metro-Detroit and Grand Rapids. We do in fact have a large asian population as well, they come for all majors.

Since you can remember you've taken classes and learned subjects and you've asked yourself, when am I going to use this in real life? Well you're not going to get away from that no matter where you go to get your bachelors degree but at MSU I've had so many classes that I put so much heart into because I know that I'm learning things I need to know to succeed and I don't want to miss out because I will be expected to know these things because I come from the great school of MSU. MSU will prepare you for your first day of work and you will use what you've learned for the rest of your life time!

Some people believe that all we do is drink and party

Drinking alcohol is a very popular extra cirricular activity. Every night of the week, someone is having a house party and the bars are open. Halloween and St. Pattys day are very big drinking events but the two that top that are Tailgating of Football Saturdays and Welcome week. During welcome week, its such a good time that people who do go to MSU want to come and party, thats the same with all the events I listed. MSU does a nice job of offering alternatives though, we have the UAB, University Activities Board, they hold events every weekend that don't involve drinking and during the week there are free movies on campus.

I'm very proud to say that I go to MSU and I will be very sad to leave and become a grown up, although, I'm very prepared.

No, If all you want to do is drink and party, that life is available here, but most students find a great balance of work and play and become successful in our chosen fields of work. I am very proud to go to MSU.

Chrissy

East Lansing is definitely a college town. It's almost like a ghost town if you stick around for the summer, but that just means great specials at local retailers and no traffic! With 40,000 students, it's on the large end of schools, but I never felt it to be overwhelming. Campus isn't too huge to walk around and there's not too much car traffic on campus at all, so that makes it seem smaller. The thing I liked most about MSU was that you could get involved in as little or as much as you want. Living on campus provides even more opportunities, and while I feel like I grew out of dorm life after two years, it was an amazing experience where I met some of my best friends and my fiance.

MSU is very diverse. While there are a lot of students from Michigan, there are also a ton of students from out of state and even more from outside the country. I've met a lot of foreign exchange students that bring a lot to the student body.

Kind of. There are large groups of students, especially the incoming Freshman, who think college is just about partying. It is easy enough to be involved or distance yourself from this behavior. I wouldn't say there's really any peer pressure to drink, it's more of people actively seeking it out. Once you reach the senior and graduate levels (especially in the business college), most students are working really hard. They tend to party hard as well, but in a much more mature way than all the rioters seen on TV.

The dorms were really expensive.

Classes are all over the chart. The honors sections of courses tended to be the best. Many were not actually at a higher level than the regular sections, but they were smaller and the students were much smarter. Group projects and study groups in honors sections were actually worthwhile.

I met most of my closest friends and lasting friendships either in the dorms or in advanced classes in my major (after I'd seen the same group of kids for four years). Being involved in clubs and organizations offers even more opportunities to meet new people.

Renee

The best thing about MSU is the atmosphere. In the fall the trees are beautiful. In the spring its nice to see everyone smiling as they walk to class. The people at MSU are nice and friendly and always willing to help.

Most MSU students are from Michigan or the midwest. There are occasional students that are from other parts of the country and there are many students from different countires. MSU has a awesome study abroad program as well as an international student program.

Yes Cedar Fest 2008 was on CNN news a few months ago which gives MSU a bad rep. But on the other hand, MSU had the number 1 school for Supply Chain Management and number 1 for the school of packaging. Great education program as well as an engineering program. MSU students are very well rounded individuals that will have a sucessful career after graduation Great school!

No, yes the school has many students but it is a great opportunity to meet new people that will be friends for life Yes it is a party school, but most students have a good balance between school work and fun

For the first few years of college many of the classes are larger which could be frightening at first. But soon enough you get used to it. As students begin to specialize the class sizes become smaller and students get to know their professors on a first name bases.

There are a ton of IM teams a student can join year round. There is always something going on on campus, like movies at Wells and fun activities at the Union. MSU offers numerous things to keep students busy and gives them the opportunity to meet new people. The dorms are a ton of fun and a great time to meet others as well as get to know yourself. In most cases its the first time a college freshman is away from their parents and has limited supervision. But students soon realize that at MSU you do not have to go get drunk everynight to have a good time, many times you just stay in your dorm and hang out with your floor

Leslie

They only party all the time, and that Lyman Briggs students do not ever party or go out, they just study.

There is always stuff going on. In the dorms most often it is very social. In my hall we left our door open whenever we were ther, people stop in to chat or get help when studying. Lots of parties around campus.

You have to study a lot, the classes are not a breeze. It's possible to be completely lost after missing just an one hour class.

Charlie

MSU has a beautiful campus. Yes, it is a very large school, but there are many ways to make it smaller. Many people join sororities or fraternities. I, on the other hand, joined the lacrosse team. By doing this I have allowed myself to have somewhat of a family to go to if I need help. There are many other clubs and activities available to make MSU more than just school to a person. People are very friendly. I am just coming out of freshman year and I never once had an issue with someone being rude to me. If I was lost trying to find class, people were always willing to help. Our football team is not the best, but the games are a blast and a great social activity. Basketball and hockey are fun to go to as well. School pride is important, Spartans don't mess around.

Everyone loves a Spartan.

People think that MSU students party all the time and don't work hard in school. A lot of people think that just because someone goes to MSU, it means that he or she did not get into U of M. Both of these stereotypes are false. MSU is just as good of a school as U of M. The classes are very demanding and require dedication in order to receive a decent grade. At the end of the day, MSU students work just as hard as U of M students, but know how to have a better time once the work is done.

Out of the 28 credits I took this year, only a few were large lecture halls. The small classroom environment makes its possible to get to know your professors and to meet other students. The lecture courses had recitations in which 20 or so of the students meet with a T.A. The academic requirements are demanding, but anything is possible if the correct amount of time and effort is put in.

Yes, I have been a witness to these accusations.

The campus can be overwhelmingly large at first, but after a couple weeks you discover shortcuts you can take to get to classes quicker and easier, making the campus seem so much smaller. I find its a 15 minute stroll to any class within a reasonable distance from my apartment. That walk can be peaceful if you take the river trail, watchin the river flow by and the ducks playing in it. The "downtown" area on Grand River is one part that I wished was bigger with more shops. Walking up and down that gets old after the first couple of times.. There is a ton of school pride everywhere you go. If you yell "GO GREEN!" you will be responded with a "GO WHITE" no matter where you are. People are proud to be Spartans, and the football games show it. My advice: buy football tickets. It will be your best investment at MSU, besides the education of course.

Most students find a good group of friends to hang out with when they move into the dorms freshman year, so no one really feels out of place. There are many clubs you can join on campus if you do feel out of place, then you can make friends there. If you dont walk away from MSU with at least a few good friends, you didn't work hard enough to put yourself out there. There is no poplular group, jock group, goth group or nerd group anymore like there was in high school. Everyone becomes friends with everyone, reguardless of race, gender, or age. You end up meeting people through your friends, and meet more people through their friends, and the next thing you know, you have a huge group that you could chill with. Its all about not being shy and getting yourself out there meeting people

If you choose to go down that path they can be. I've seen my share of people who party every night, thus fail out of school. But thats a very low percent of the total MSU population. The University offers many other things to do besides partying on the weekends and during the week, varying from free movies to free pool and bowling, concerts, craft night, and other various activities that the UAB sets up.

I just encourage everyone to join at least one club or team while they are at MSU, you make a lot of new friends and do a lot of cool things, and have a great time.

The basic level courses are the classes that have 300 people in it. Once you start getting into your sophomore and junior year, these numbers die down durastically to the 30s. Dont be daunted by the mass lecture halls, you can still get to know your professors through their office hours. If you dont understand something, go to their office hours and ask for help. They are definitely a life saver. As for studying and reading, you have to take time to do it in order to get a good GPA. My favorite class so far was CJ 110 with Chermak. He was a great professor, he knew a lot about the subject. Least favorite class - ISS 215 or CSE 100, or any other basic University required class. Just seemed pointless and a waste of time. MSU is definitely geared towards getting a job. With my major - Parks, Rec, and Tourism, you have to go out and get 2 internships before you can graduate. That really helps you once you are turned loose from the school and have to find a job.

UAB is definitely a popular organization on campus when you dont feel like partying. There are tons of things to do besides party on a weekend. They put on lots of activities for people to enjoy, and most of them are free. Football and Basketball games are definitely a must for the sports enthusiast. They are full of energy and spartan pride and cheering, you'll wish everyday was game day. Students in the dorms are encouraged to leave their doors open, thats how you meet people. People will wander around into dorm rooms and chat it up with the person living there, hoping to become friends during the first week there. That is really how I met all of my friends, they lived in my hall freshman year. People could party every night of the week if they wanted to. A small amount do, but most people wait until the weekends to let go of stress and relax. It's really not as big of a party school as people make it out to be.

A lot of people say its a party school, not really an education, blow off classes and whatnot.

Allison

The best thing about MSU is the people that go here! Everyone is extremely friendly and always looking to meet new people. Everyone is very open to new people and cultures, and genuinely interested in learning about you and getting to know you. Some people may assume since MSU is a huge school with around 45,000 students enrolled, that it would be hard to meet and make new friends but that's not the case! There's a ton of school pride at MSU. Everyone loves it and is proud to be a Spartan!

The student body is one of the greatest things about MSU. If I had to choose one word to describe MSU's student body it would be "diverse." There is such a wide range of cultures, religions, races, nationalities, political opinions, and socio-economic groups on campus; the best part about it is that everyone is genuinely open and friendly, and willing to accept each other. People also seem eager to learn about new people that may not be the types of people they're used to in their hometowns. The greatest thing about the student body is that everyone is extremely friendly and open to making new friends!

Yes and no. People like to have a good time at MSU and definitely know how to party, but that's not all we do at MSU! Most people take their academics very seriously. I'm proud of MSU and my fellow Spartans because most of us are extremely well rounded. We can have fun while still taking academics seriously, and taking pride in our athletics as well.

One thing that surprised me about Michigan State is that there are also a number of smaller classes available. Many people assume that since it's such a huge university that there are only huge lectures for classes, but that's not the case. I've had classes with 20 people and with as many as 600. I believe this gives you the full college experience, since MSU offers a wide variety of class sizes. There is also a variety of types of classes available to be taken. I'm a business major and have taken classes in anthropology, nutrition, and history. There are countless subjects that you can take up for your electives. I'm really happy with how knowledgable all my professors are about the subjects they are teaching, as well. I feel like all of my instructors were experts in their field and that I learned a great deal from them. Also, professors make themselves available outside of class either through office hours or through e-mail if you have a quick question. I think MSU is geared toward getting a job as well as learning or its own sake. As a business major, I'm required to take classes in physical, biological, and social sciences, as well as writing and arts and humanities. When I leave MSU, I will be confident that I have a wide range of knowledge and can carry on a conversation about any subject.

MSU activites and social life are great! There are endless clubs or groups you can join, for literally any interest. Athletics are extremely popular. Football games are soo much fun, and thousands of students have season tickets and faithfully attend, including myself. Basketball is, of course, very popular at MSU as well. I met my closest friend on the bus! We ended up being roommates second semester and her and her friends from high school are my best friends now. We just signed a lease for an apartment next year, and we're ready for another year of good times being roommates! On a typical weekend, I'll probably go out two nights. Another night might be spent watching movies with friends or just hanging out. There's no pressure to party but there are definitely opportunities to party if that's what you want to do!

Dan

MSU is a huge school, a city of its own. Most of the students are white and wealthy, and most of the majors are very easy. Therefore, it is a huge party school. It's easy to get lost in the party scene and put academics at the bottom of the priority list, especially considering the freedom of living on one's own for the first time in a party environment. Most students drink at least once or twice a weekend (which is Thursday-Sunday for MSU). The parties are great, they are very fun for most underclassmen and offer a good way to meet other students. I had a great time at MSU, but I definitely partied too much. The challenge for you may be to find a balance in the party life and the rest of life. School will occupy only a small fraction of your time in the dorms, so make sure to spend some of your spare time doing things that do not involve getting black-out drunk. I would strongly recommend getting active in at least one campus organization, there are plenty out there that will interest you. It's too easy to slip between the cracks and look back on the day of your graduation without remembering more than a handful of Friday and Saturday nights. Keep your drinking in check, this is a town of alcoholics. But since it is such a big school, there are plenty of ways to enjoy your time without getting shwasted.

Lots and lots and lots of alcoholics. Fun, safe, happy drunks for the most part, but still drunks. Be careful not to become one of them, even if you love getting drunk sometimes. Try not to become the guy who is wasted three days a week for five years. I already did that and I regret it. There are a lot of good people at State, the parties are great because you are automatically accepted into the social group of any house or apartment party simply because of your status as an MSU student.

Easy. Way easier than you expect.

Michigan State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.