East Lansing, MI
Michigan State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Michigan State University

Emmerson

MSU seemed large at first, but thats only because I didnt know anyone that went to the college...as soon as I joined a few clubs, and my sorority, the campus got a lot smaller because I started running into people that I knew and could find the locations a lot easier

MSU says that the campus is diversified, but I beg to differ...there are definately dorms that are just for the "blacks", "asians", "nerds", jocks and etc. MSU dorm life is not diversified at all.

to a certain degree, but you get that at any college

MSU is big, MSU students are stuck up, MSU is a party school

Allison

When most people hear that I go to MSU, they scrunch their noses and become condescending saying "Oh you must not have been smart enough, involved enough, or good enough to go to U of M". But this is simply not true. I got into every school I applied to (including some Ivy Leagues) but I CHOOSE State. State's Honors College provides wonderful opportunities to create your own program free of the typical undergraduate prerequisites. Plus, scholars at State get much more financial aid to attend than at other schools. Why would I pay to go to U of M when MSU is paying me and I'm getting an education from the number one College of Education in the nation?

While MSU is diverse with students representing many nations and racial backgrounds, most students do not take advantage of this diversity. In the cafeteria, you will likely huge segregation--the Asians sit with the Asians, the whites with the whites, and so on. Furthermore the resident halls are segregated (unofficially) by races. There are some resident halls that are >80% African-American with others that are <8% African American.

Everyone at MSU is Greek and/or drunk party animals

Absolutely not. While many students are a part of the Greek system (>3000) that definitely does not include everyone. Typically the people who do go Greek enjoy drinking and partying. But again, this does not classify the entire MSU community. Most people like to go out once in a while and have a drink or two.

While the College of Education is deemed the #1 in the nation, it's undergrad program is far from it. This #1 title is regarding their Graduate programs and definitely does not include its undergraduate one. In the undergraduate program, expect to be continuously on the verge of a meltdown. The COE does not pay attention to individual student's needs (i.e. what grade level we are interested in when giving us placements in the schools) and the classes vary widely depending on the teacher. There are definitely some phenomenal instructors such as Cindy Covell and Jeanine Stanaway but there are also terrible ones who seem to be senile, spiteful, forgetful, just trying to bide their time until full retirement. The program focuses too much on theory and not enough on practice--it is completely unrealistic to write a 17-page single spaced lesson plan for a 1 hour lesson!

University organizations try to provide ample opportunities to have fun on the weekend without drinking. Every week there are free movies that were recently at the theaters to on-campus students ($2 for off-campus students), there are also typically comedians, concerts, etc. Special events are also hosted throughout the year, including Casino Night, Open (Ice) Skating, etc.

Amber

MSU is a friendly campus above all. That is what I have noticed that stands out to me from other campuses. Students are typically willing to help each other out, lend notes, set up study session, give directions, and more even if you are not actual friends. I feel as though there is a drive to help all succeed rather than a competition amongst the students to out beat each other. I also think that MSU's campus is one of the best, most welcoming campuses I have ever been to. It is beautiful and open allowing students to interact, play football, volleyball, frisbee, layout in the sun and read, and just enjoy the atmosphere of the college. There are so many green spots and great places to enjoy your lunch or to sit and do homework between classes. It is a relaxing atmosphere that is hard to come by.

No, there is partying that goes on, but no more than any other school. There is much more to MSU than the party scene and many students are highly involved in other activities. We are also composed of many highly qualified students that can rival many big ten schools. Many people do not realize that there are numerous students that choose to go to MSU over other schools because of the highly esteemed programs that it offers.

MSU has a great student activities board and there are a wealth of things that students can get involved in. I am a senior and I do not know even a quarter of the things that are available on this campus. With this large amount of opportunities you do have to take the initiative to find and search out your interests on your own. Many people do not realize what is out there for them and do not get involved until sophomore or junior year because they did not look for the opportunities and waited for them to come to them. There are enough organizations to satisfy any student though. Frats and sororities are popular and many students are involved in them, but just as many, me included are not involved in the Greek community at all. It all depends on your interest and personality type. MSU is known for partying, but anyone who comes here for that will be very let down. We are no different from any other schools social life and have many other activities that people take advantage of on the weekends such as Residence life cinemas, crafts, sporting events, the annual Lansing Holiday celebration (Silver Bells in the City) and other various things. Football games are a must on Saturdays in the fall with Homecoming every year, and basketball games are huge in the winter. Hockey is also a growing interest. Many activities are also centered around the organizations that you are in so I highly recommend that you get involved in the university in the way that interests you.

I think that classes at MSU are very comparable to other universities. They are typical college courses....some professors know your name while others haven't a clue, some classes you have to study for hours for while others are easy 4 points. It all depends on the class, professor, and situation. Most students study very frequently and the MSU library is always busy open 24 hours. The best classes I ever took was the French Art class and the Teaching with Technology class. I really enjoyed them, they were interesting and the grading/course load was reasonable. For the most part students are not competitive with each other and rather work together to help each other achieve which makes for a great learning community.

That they are large partiers, just drink all the time, and are mediocre students

Michigan State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.