Michigan State University

« See more reviews of Michigan State University

MSU students are the best part about the school. The size of the student body ensures that you will be able to find many people with similar interests and hobbies. It's pretty hard to be lonely at this school. There is always something going on and people are always available to talk and hang out. The makeup of the students is similar to most B1G universities. The majority of students are white followed by Asian, black, and Hispanic. Everyone seems to get along nicely and there are rarely problems with race. MSU has a good mix that will expose you to all cultures and races over a 4-5 period. I have noticed that the foreign students from Asia sometimes form up into cliques and do not really get outside of them. I think this might just be a language and cultural barrier. Fortunately each dorm has a cultural aid to help students fit in and adjust quickly. Politically the school is much more diverse than normal. There is slight liberal feel to the campus, but a sizable portion of the student body is conservative. Whatever your views are there is likely a campus group that you can match up with. East Lansing is a considerably more conservative campus than Ann Arbor or Madison. There is a balance here that is not usually found in large universities. The financial make up of the students is mostly upper-middle class mixed with many other situations. You'll likely encounter students from all economic backgrounds. It doesn't seem to be an issue and is rarely brought up in conversation. I don't think I've ever really talked about it with my friends. Student interaction is a big thing on this campus. That is why you come to Michigan State over other B1G schools. The people here are friendly and it is easy to network and make connections. There are plenty of opportunities to hang out and party on the weekends once your work is done. Meeting people of the opposite sex is a breeze at this school and is probably the number #1 unsung asset of MSU. Speaking from a male perspective I had no trouble meeting girls. Like I said earlier, making connections here is easy. In an age when many people have resorted to online dating sites, college provides an essential opportunity to hone your skills and meet your soul mate. The girls at MSU tend to be much more attractive than at other schools (trying to be unbiased). Most girls here are fit, pretty, and easy to talk to, which makes it great for guys. I would assume that girls feel the same, but I can't speak for them. All in all State has a fantastic dating scene that will definitely satisfy a scholarly gentleman.

I came from a small 99% white town in Northwestern Lower Michigan and coming to MSU was a bit of a culture shock. You can find people at MSU of every belief set and every ethnicity. It really is a very diverse place, and they make sure to put an emphasis on that. People from every walk of life are encouraged to interact inside and outside the classroom in such a way that it would be hard to find a combination of past experiences and beliefs that could not find a group on campus to accept them with open arms. What do students wear to class? Clothes. Okay, on a more serious note, jsut about every type of dress is accepted. Sometimes people are walking around in fancy suits to the buisiness college or dressed up for presentaions. On the other end of the spectrum, there are those of us who wear pajamas to class. Basically, the "dress code" is catered to being physically and mentally comfortable. There are WAY more than four tables in any dining room, and most of them are full. Often times you see peple of similar race, religion, or background sitting together, but this is definately not the rule. I am happy and proud to say that I have a very diverse group of friends at MSU. Most MSU students are from the state of Michigan or the surrounding Midwestern region. MSU does, however, have representation from every state (I think) and well over 100 countries. With student aid being mostly need based, there are students from every financial background. MSU has a great political science school at James Madison college. However, these are not the only student with insight and opinions to what is going on in the world. The State News always has editorials and stories that tend to stirr up your opinions and arouse some debates. You might not see people walking around always debating the presumptive nominees of their respective parties, but when you live with people for the majority of the year day in and day out, you end up talking about these kinds of things from time to time. With so many students there are people of all kinds of political background. On average, it probably comes out right in the middle, but that doesnt mean there aren't people like myself (very liveral) and my roommate (far right). One thing that annoys me is how salient the subject fo future earnings is. Oftentimes at meetings, people are asked to say their name, major, and goals, and making lots of money is a prominent response. However, that is just because I'm a little bit oof an idealist who likes to think that there are far more important things than money.

It's funny when the year starts up and you can tell who are freshmen just by the clothes they wear. I remember even when I was a freshman, I'd go to class wearing the short skirts and loads of mascara anything that would make me stand out and look "H-O-T" however, as you get older, you learn that although you might see some hotties in your class, it's easier to just meet people when you're out at night and class is just easier to go to wearing sweats so that you're more comfortable in those hard seats. There are so many types of people at MSU, I really don't think it's possible for any one person to be singled out and be left feeling out of place. College is completely unlike high school where the cliques are pinned up against each other. At MSU, forget about cliques you just have a bunch of circles of friends. I personally have a huge circle of friends and although some may know a few in another circle, a lot don't. It's fun to just expand the amount of people that you know. However, some people just don't get along with certain others. I think that the best way to go about college, is break out of your shell and talk to anybody and everyone-- that way you will meet the most people and have the best social experience of anyone. It's also fun when you go out or just are walking to class and can say hi to a bunch of all different people!

We have a group for literally every single thing. Not joking. I have been part of probably 12 groups which is a lot for one person. Everything you can think of there is a group for it. We have a huge population of gays and lesbians, and we also have things for them to do, like clubs and stuff, they are a very public and accepted group in the area. We are also very culturally diverse in terms of students and area residents. We have one of the highest Asian populations in what seems like the world, our graduate programs are very very diverse. Dude some people get all dolled up for class, somewhere pj's, it all depends on the time of the class, shoot I have worn work clothes to class before. No one cares or notices. Most MSU students are from Michigan. You have all sorts of financial back grounds, seriously I could think of students that have been completely abandoned by their parents to the Prince and Princess of the Netherlands that goes here (Seriously they come party at my work). We are the majority liberal I would say. I know that I would be uncomfortable in any other situation which is non liberal, so we are cool here.

The students here have many different backgrounds. I feel that anyone that would come here would find someone they feel comfortable around. There are many different groups here on campus and I do not believe anyone would feel left out. Some students care a lot aboout appearances and they some dont so whatever you wear will seem fine to someone although most students wear a simple shirt and pants for guys and mayne a dress or a nice shirt and shorts for girls. The four tables I would describe would be jocks, scholars, fantasy game players, and an average joe table. I have not really talked much with people about how much they will earn but I am sure it is on everyones mind.

A very diverse student body. with 40,000 students attending MSU you are bound to find a lot of different people with different ideas. Mostly everyone on campus is open to the issues mentioned above, infact there is a group for everyone taste buds. most female students wear sweats to class with their uggs boots and coach bags and most male students sport aberocrombie and northface. A very midwest fashion scene. Most MSU student come from the middle class and everyone is politically aware. SInce I am a leftist most of my friends are also leftist, hence I cannot speak for the rest of the student body. But I am aware of the fact that MSU has a large group of YAF.

MSU is very racially diverse and LGBT friendly. You can find a club or organization for virtually ANY type of interest on camous. Most students are fairly casual when coming to class, however upperclassmen are often getting closer to having a career and you may seem them dressing more business-appropriate when heading to class. You will interact with so many different types of people when you arrive at this school, and I have never seen anyone shun a certain race or pick fights with others. I would say that most students are middle-class and are very aware of others' feelings, and tend to be very mature about differences.

Michigan State has one of the most diverse campuses. With so many students we have a little bit of everything, from racial, religious, socio-economic, and gender differences. There are many students that are in-state but we have many out of state students as well as international students from China, India, Korea, etc. Diversity is important because no matter where you go in life, you will encounter people of difference backgrounds and you can learn from them. It gives you differences of opinion and various ideas. The diverse groups really help you grow and learn as you progress to your chosen careers.

MSU's student body is very diverse. I am friends with many people from different racial, ethnic, religious, etc. backgrounds. Even though they may look different from me they, we all relate easily. I am involved in one group called MRULE- Multi Racial Unity Living Experience where we talk about social and political injustics and issues. It has helped me become aware of the impact that segregation and racism has had on this country and others. I have noticed that many students tend to stick to their own racial backgroud, but I am one who is not afraid of bridgeing the racial barrior by being friends to all.

MSU has an extremely diverse body of students. There is a club or group for any sort of way you could differentiate people. I feel that the student body is dispersed through many different cultures, ethnicity, and religions. It would be very easy to come from pretty much any background and be able to fit in and find others similar to you, if you wished. Also, many of the students are friendly and welcoming so meeting new people is very easy. Most students dress pretty casually for class. Usually it is just jeans and t-shirts or tank tops with sweaters.