Michigan State University

« See more reviews of Michigan State University

Although we are known as a party school (because we can get down), we are not a bunch of drunken heathens who skip class and barely graduate. We work hard so we can party hard; we're well rounded people with a little bookworm and partier in all of us. The two most recent "riots" could have been avoided if the police didn't show up in riot gear before anything had happened. Although the news portrays the events in favor of the city and the law, those of us who were there (and sober) remember it all going down quite differently. I'm not saying that there were some stupid kids doing some stupid things, but the vast majority of us were behaving as we usually do when we're out partying. The police showed up in riot gear before anything had happened and began shooting off tear gas just to get people moving. They told us to go back to campus; but what the news failed to tell people is that we tried to go back to campus. The cops had every road/path blocked off and guarded except for the two on either end of campus. So we weren't trying to stay out on the streets, but were left no choice.

As with most stereotypes, there are bits of truth to every bit. MSU doesn't have as strict of admissions standards as Michigan or some other schools. That being said, MSU is a renowned educational and research institution. A couple of examples: They have the number one communication undergraduate degree program, and contain a cutting edge particle accelerator facility with lots of undergraduate research opportunities. A lot of students at MSU like to party, but that doesnt mean everyone there does it regularly if at all. If you like to party, you can always find one, however, if you are like me and are not interested in that aspect of schoool there are plenty of alcohol free activities that can provide you with four years of a lot of fun.

no, well... kind of. I think those who have there head on straight can party hard and do well in classes at all levels. There is a vibe at the school that you just get your work done and party when you can. It comes off as easier because MSU kids are bred to not stress or complain so much about work loads and balancing time. We just get it done. That's what the real world is about, balance, and MSU students are the best at that.

This all depends on what you're looking for in a University. If you want to get drunk, then you will. If you want to meet smart and interesting people, then you gotta know where you're more likely to find them. Just be wary. Don't let the "fun" suck you in. You will find assholes. You will find cool people. Understanding which is which is the hardest and most fun part of MSU.

MSU is not a party school, many students focus on their studies. Many belong to the multipe colleges within campus, proving their dedication to school work. There are many students that are higher income, predominantly white, but there is also many minorities and people on the lower end of the income scale, who thrive in MSU's academia.

Somewhat. A lot of people are partiers. But a lot of people also get really good grades and go to all their classes. Quite a few of our programs (College of Education, College of Music, Vet Medicine) are ranked better than any other in Michigan, and are ranked very high in the nation

The partying is accurate we do love getting rowdy, but we all are great students and take it very seriously. The library is packed during the week when it needs to be. I guess we just have good time management skills so we can party a lot and still pull off those good grades!

Only sometimes. The school does have a lot of partying so there's always some place to go, but there are so many people that theres always a scene you can fit into. The riots are nothing like they were in years past.

NO I don't think so. I am an international student from Mumbai, and I could have chosen any other college in the US and still I chose MSU because it is a good college with great faculty and a diverse student body.

Yes, who else can get a 50% or more for students that have had some sort of run in with the law, anywhere from a noise violation to getting arrested during a riot (a fun riot not a violent lets kill everyone)