Michigan State University

« See more reviews of Michigan State University

The worst thing about Michigan State University is that tuition isn't free. Making a long story short, my school is the perfect place to learn. Being such a diverse environment, this campus is a breeding ground for intellual stimuli. The right people, in the right place, with bountiful resources and opportunites. Everything is not perfect, just as anyone other place, yet here the students and professors are more willing to get involed and help each other. The sense of community is remarkable as well as memorable, something much needed in the economically stressed atmosphere in Michigan.

I think the worst thing about MSU is the order of priorities in the Administration Departments. For example, I am currently enrolled in the Deaf Education program, the only Auditory-Oral program in Michigan. Unfortunately, this year MSU has had to make budget cuts. But, instead of the adminstration taking a slight paycut they have decided to cut this program as well as about 30 others. If the president of MSU, took a 50% cut she would still be making over $200,000/year. Part of our motto is "transforming lives". I don't think cutting these programs agrees.

I believe the worst thing at my university is the amount of people who do not care about their education present at the university. Michigan State is known as the "party school" of Michigan, and that is evident among the attitude of most of my freshman peers. They live to party, and this affects the education of everyone, even those, like myself, who attend Michigan State for an education. Most weekends, often starting on Wednesday of all nights, the girls in my dorm invite many of their friends over, causing much noise and making it difficult to study.

The new laws reguarding rioting. This place is kind of known for rioting ever since the 90's when the students used to trash stuff. Technological advances have allowed the police to punish people that really don't deserve it. Not only that some of these students may not attend another Michigan university for 2 years! With that said it's becoming a little astringent. Among other things there's a decline in financial aid and an increase in tuition costs which is causing an uproar, pair this with the end of affirmative action and you've got trouble.

I consider the worst thing about my school is that it is a party school. The ruckus starts Thursday night and continues through Sunday morning; game day is even worse. The students (especially the freshman) take advantage of the enormous population of bars, frats, and the absense of parents and do things they wouldn't normally do. It's sad to see so many good people lose themselves in the chaos of freshman year and end up dropping out. Every school has their ups and downs, but I feel that this is the most promienent problem here at Michigan State.

The worst thing about MSU would be the perceived reputation as a complete "party school". Despite MSU being one of the best schools in the world, it sometimes feels as though people don't take the education you are getting as serious. I was one of those people before I enrolled. The minute I stepped foot on campus, I realized. Instantly, the community; the surroundings of the university engulfed me and within a few moments I felt the Spartan sprit run freely through me. The only thing I wish is for more people to realize the same things I did.

One of the worst things about the school is the cost. Tuition goes up every year and there are few noticable improvements to students. The cost of living in East Lansing is incredibly expensive and city officials completey discount the importance of students in the economy of their city. Housing is the biggest expense next to tuition and books. It's hard to secure financial aid if you're just "just getting by". It seems as though you need to have no money at all or come from a bad home life to even be considered. It's so expensive!

This is a particularly hard question considering I love most things regarding my school, but I would have to say the biggest negative about MSU is the size. Our campus houses about 46,000 students and has lecture building across campus. Sometimes it is frustrating to know that you have a twenty minute walk to class. This bothers some students, but I quickly became accustom to it therefore leaving no lasting effect upon myself. I have enjoyed my time here and a bigger university only means there are more people for one to meet.

The worst thing about my school would be the expense of the education. In addition to college tuition students will be buying books, bus passes, dorm decorations, parking, and all sorts of other expenses not included in the tuition. College is expensive to attend for many families these days, I feel their woes. After my graduation I will have to face my student loans and it won?t be pretty. I recommend to all high school seniors to start applying for scholarships early and really work on doing as many as you can.

The worst thing about my school is the lack of culture intigration. I feel that alot of the people that attend this school are exactly they same. They wear the same cloths, grew up in the same suburbs, and attended the same highschools. This not only gives them an advantage to those who grew up in less fortunate surroundings, but it also keeps them in the majority posision that they held in their formative years. I feel this is an injustice for the majority because it is not a very good example of the real world.