Michigan State University

« See more reviews of Michigan State University

I'm going to go ahead and just address the questions here one at a time: The best thing about MSU is that it offers degree programs in every subject you can think of. I came to school without any idea of what I wanted to do, and at Michigan State you dont have to be afraid of them not having a program for a subject that you think might be interested in. If I could change one thing about MSU I would change its reputation (I am trying, and not just through this forum) because the experience I have at MSU has helped land me in presitgious internships around the country and given me every opportunity to succeed. Just because MSU accepts students with sub par test scores and GPAs does not mean that there are not incredibly smart people there, along with world class faculty. MSU is a huge school, and it seems like you never see the same person twice at first except in the residence halls. However, as you get more advanced in your major, you begin to make connections with people who are always in the same group of classes as you. Personally, I hate crowded places, like big cities, but MSU has a sort of sprawling beautiful landscape that makes it feel almost rural and less like you are surrounded by 45000 students. East Lansing is a college town. The population approximately doubles when school is in session (with a permanant population around 40,000, which is close to the enrollment at MSU). There is a lot of stuff to do around there because the town is built around the institution. Sometimes you have to look for stuff to do, but usually you will find people playing every sport around campus, and fliers for most any activity you can imagine as long as you are willing to get out of your room and participate! I don't have any close ties to MSU's administration, but in my case I have never had anything to complain about. The most recent controversy at MSU was Cedarfest. Apperently Cedarfest used to be an annual event where people got excessively loud, drunk, and obnoxious. Last year there was a reincarnation of Cedarfest which got national media attention because of students getting tear gassed and tearing down street signs. I wasn't there, but I know a lot of people who were. There were sufficient warnings tat it was going on, and the police handled it well from what I hear, but I found it insulting that our school was being stereotyped because of this "riot", but a lot of people who I talked to thought it was really cool. I guess it is just a matter of perspective. Personally, I wish it hadn't taken place. People wear green and white every day. The student sections at sporting events is loud and faithful. As with anything, there are people who like to be on the other side have little pride or spirit. That being said, the vast majority of spartans are proud to go to MSU and wear their colors. Go Green! Go White! I have attended two other institutions on my way to MSU, and none have been the same. In that respect, I think all schools are unique because they all feel just a little different. As a physics major, the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory (NSCL) makes MSU stand out above most other universities. I think that most students discover what sort of things are unusual and important on their own personal level. One experience I will always remember is a football game. Near the end of last season, we beat Penn State in the waning minutes at Spartan Stadium to give ourselves a chance at a bowl bid last year. It was the first year that I had been attending Spartan football games, and it was a blast. The whole student section was cheering, and it didn't matter if you were a senior or a freshman, a math or communications major, or anything. Everyone was just a Spartan. People like to complain about all kinds of things. It seems like the most common complaint is about having to go to class or do homework, but I don't really know what can be done about that.

The "Big Picture" about MSU is that the school is exactly that- it's huge! It has the largest campus in the country, and it's got about 45 000 students enrolled. There are a couple of sides to this. The good part is that there are plenty of people to meet. There are always new people, and it's virtually impossible NOT to find someone who's interested in some of the same things as you are, IF you get out and look. It's really easy to make a lot of lifetime friends, good study partners, and keep busy. One particular advantage is if you happen to have an akward encounter with a girl (or guy) at a party, you never have to see them ever again, because you probably won't unless you track them down. There is so much to take advantage of and do at a school this size, and there is always something new to try. The problem is, you can't get lost in it. Some people do. It's just as easy to sit in your dorm room for the first month, and then you'd wake up and realize one day that everyone else has friends and you don't, and by this point you may not even care enough to try anymore. It's important to be actively interested in other things, but never lose track of who you are. It's pretty easy to have an identity crisis if you don't get involved with something. The thing is, a big campus and big student body = big money, which means big potential. If you want to do any kind of study abroad or get involved in some really high tech research, there is funding and resources available on campus to help you do that. It's not like being at a small school where you'd run into, "Oh well you'll have to commute to another school for that research idea because we don't have a nano-robotics laboratory" or, "if you want to study abroad, we can set you up with the larger group from Ohio State so you get the full group discount in travel." You won't have those problems because you won't be alone in your interests here. Gathered interests = gathered potential. One final thing to consider if you're worried about going to a small school vs. a big ten school like MSU- how many people were in your highschool? Mine was kind of midsized, around 1100- 1200 kids. If you went to a small lib. arts college, you'd basically be going to highschool all over again. It's not a good way, or a realistic way to "spread your wings."

Overall this school is a 10/10. It has something for everyone. Don't be intimidated by the campus size or the number of people that go here. It is very easy to make friends and get involved here. The classes can be large but the professors are usually very helpful and have office hours if you need 1 on 1 help, don't be afraid to approach them! The campus itself is beautiful and has a serene river running through the heart of campus. It is easy to find nooks and crannys to relax and study in. There are many old historic buildings to explore and the new art museum looks like it will be very interesting. They have been constructing a lot of new buildings on campus, especially for the research oriented majors. Getting around is no problem with a bike or a bus pass. The best part about this university is the people who go here. They are down to earth and very friendly for the most part. It is easy to make friends and form connections. There is literally a student group for everything and there are always events to go to. If you like sports look no further. The football, basketball, and hockey programs are top notch and are a constant source of excitement for students. Attending fall games in Spartan Stadium and tailgating with friends and alumni is easily one of my most cherished memories.Even if you're not into sports I would recommend attending a few of the games just for the experience. If you're looking for the complete college experience this is it. Michigan State has just about everything you could want in a school aside from being in the Ivy League. Even still many of the programs are highly ranked. My major (Criminal Justice) is ranked in the top 10 nationally as are many others. I take pride in calling myself a Spartan and I am absolutely satisfied with the education I received. It was worth every cent.

My overall opinion about Michigan State is that it is just a great place to be. The best thing about it is the spirit and sense of pride you feel as a Spartan. The only thing I would change is some of my requirements for my major! Some may feel that this university is too large, but I don't feel that way at all. I transferred from a small private school and MSU has felt more like home. People react pretty well when I tell them what I am studying here. I spend most of my time on campus in the GIS computer labs working on programs, cartography and other geography-based homework for my minor! If I'm not there, I can be found either in Criminal Justice classes or possibly grabbing brunch with my classmates at one of the many places to eat on campus! East Lansing is an amazing college town with SO much to do, and especially good night life! Some of my favorite memories have been made here, and nothing can top the excitement of the home football games in the crisp, fall weather.

I don't even know where to begin when describing my opinion of MSU. It is just an absolutely perfect experience. MSU is the perfect blend of partying and academics and there is something for everyone. The school is huge but that makes it interesting when you have classes all over campus. People love hearing that I go to school hear just because of how amazing our athletics are. We are one of the premier Big Ten schools and every year the atmosphere displays it. I spend most of my time in my dorm hall hanging out with people I met at the beginning of the year. The weekends are nuts and the streets are lined with people going out to have a good time. The administration is fairly decent but you should do some research on your course professors before you enroll. I will always remember my first tailgating experience because it was so great. Most kids complain about the prices of books but you will find that anywhere you go.

MSU is huge! When you walk to class you pass hundreds of students, and even up until Senior year, it is rare to see someone you know..no matter how many friends you have. You have to be willing to have a long walk to class, and trek through the snow when all you want to do is lay in bed. Campus is beautiful, and it is so nice to be able to go sit by the red cedar between classes, or just for fun. I love the student body..everyone that goes to MSU is in love with their school and it makes being there so much fun. East Lansing is great..I love how campus is set up, and the student housing is right across grandriver with tons to do in between. The first day that its warm out in the spring is my favorite time of every year..everyone is outside on their porch and everyone is so happy and excited that it's finally getting warm. The only thing that sucks is that it means the semester is almost over.

Huge, I wouldn't change it per say, but if you come here than you are for sure going to make friends, once you get into your direct major the classes are smaller but even the campus and venues around it are hoppin all the time. Michigan State is known all around the world. I used to live in the Carolina's and even when I worked with Red Cross in Louisiana people were familiar with MSU and some had even graduated. I work in a bar and restaurant so I am always there, we have a night club in our basement so its right close to the main strip of our 'hang out' street, grand river. For sure a college town I sometimes feel bad for the residential families during events like welcome week, but they chose to live in a college town. So much school pride. Cant really think of a recent controversy. This school is amazing, l can honestly say that I would pay to go here before I took a full ride anywhere else.

The best thing about MSU is our diverse student body. The one thing I would change about MSU is to make it more reputable on a global forum. I want it to be known for its amazing programs and world class education. I also wish that MSU would be more discreet with their selection process. Regarding 'college town', I think East Lansing needs to spruce up. We have like 2 stores and 5 places to eat and around 50 bars. It is high time we get a few more entertainment joints like maybe a boutiques or stores, and more eating joints - might even lead students to visit the bars less often. I hop MSU's administration is slightly more helpful and understanding towards international students. The biggest recent controversy on campus was regarding cedar fest. Yes there is a lot of school pride the study abroad programs are awesome.

Personally, I absolutely love Michigan State. It's located in the college town of East Lansing, MI. We have a very large campus, but if MSU is the right place for you, then it doesn't matter the size, you will find your niche. It may seem too large for some people, being one of the largest college campuses in the country, but I like it. Maybe it's not the right fit for you, but you learn quickly where things are and how to get around. I'm in my senior year at MSU, and those years fly by. If I could change one thing about my time here, it would be to really cherish every memory I made because before you know it, you'll be graduating. Our school is one of the schools with the most college pride! We take our sports seriously and it's one of the best things about being a part of this school.

I love MSU! It has my major, plant biology, which isn't seen very often. The campus is huge, but that just means we have an amazing student section at all of the big games. And, you never know who you might see while walking around campus. Campus is one big block, so there isn't much other than a main street with shops. And Lansing isn't the best city either. But, everything you need is on campus or right off of it on Grand River. I spend most of my time on campus because of that.There is a lot of school pride. Everyone is always wearing green and white. We have been winning a lot in football, basketball and other sports, so the games are well-attended and are very fun. One experience I will always remember is being in the stands when we won the MSU-Wisconsin game by a Hail Mary!