Michigan State University

« See more reviews of Michigan State University

The type of person who should or should not attend Michigan State University can not be exactly pinpointed. It depends on the individual's personality, the type of environment they were raised in, and their ability to adjust to change. It is difficult adjusting and getting acclimated to college life at any university. At MSU in particular, freshmen may feel largely intimidated by the large campus and number of students. However, I would encourage shyer/more reserved students to still consider attending MSU because it can provide them with a chance to step outside of their comfort zone.

I do not think someone should attend this school if they are not driven to work hard academically. Unfortuantely, I have witnessed many students waste thousands of dollars only to drop out of college and move back home. These are students that took the entrance into college as a passage to freedom. They did not take their education seriously, and instead focused on their social lives entirely. Although MSU is a large school and the social opportunities are endless, students here must remain dedicated to their education and realize its importance in their life now and in the future.

Michigan State University has high expectations for their students. Therefore, one who is not dedicated and serious about achieving their dream profession should not attend this university. Also, one who is highly dependent on their parents and is not ready to live on their own as well as take care of themselves is not ready to attend Michigan State. Michigan State University is a very large campus and school as a whole, so if one does not feel comfortable in extensive lecture classes and navigating around such a broad campus should consider attending a smaller college or university.

If you are uncomfortable with walking at least 10 minutes to get anywhere on campus, then MSU isn't right for you. If studying abroad doesn't appeal to you, if you are not very interested in making new friends, if you can't appreciate the cold winter days, if taking a class on Human Sexuality taught by leading psychologist Dr. Breedlove doesn't seem intriguing and slightly amusing, and if you don't want to listen to students speak emphatically about their ideas and beliefs on the quad almost every week, then you shouldn't consider being a Spartan.

At such a large University, if a prospective student does not aspire to make a difference in their life and potentially the lives of others Michigan State University is not for them. Michigan State makes dreams a reality because of the many students who take risk and as one of the many school mottos states they “imagine the possibilities.” This is easier to obtain here since school pride is inescapable and resources are never limited. A student should not attend this school if they are not willing to set challenging goals and see them be achieved.

I wouldn't recommend this school for someone who is not prepared to give the effort necessary to be academically succesful. I also would not recommend this school for those who are hesitant or somewhat shy when it comes to doing what is necessary to do well in school; whether it be approaching a professor during class or their office hours, finding a tutor for a difficult subject, or asking your peers for help, it is vitale that students be proactive in acquiring knowledge by using the resources they are given here.

People that are not willing to work hard and devote a large amount of time to their academics should not attend Michigan State. No matter what class you take here, it will require a large amount of your time. Those who think they can not attend class, never do any work, not study for tests and exams and still succeed at Michigan State are out of luck. Someone with a poor attitude, poor time management, and lack of motivation, will not be a successful student at Michigan State University.

It is very difficult to suggest a kind of person who shouldn't attend this school because it has a lot of variety. I would defintely suggest to someone who enjoys a major city atmosphere not to come here and possibly someone who perfers a small school atmosphere; however, although MSU is very big, depending on a person's major, they would spend most of their time in the same small area with the same people. So it is almost like a small school within a large school.

The kind of person who should not attend Michigan State University is someone who is not open to diversity, whether it be ethnic, socio-economic, or gender diversity. Also, someone who does not want to be involved in anything. There are too many organizations, extra-curriculars, and other activities that go at this school for someone to sit around and do nothing. Since the school is so big, you have to join these to make it seem smaller and create a second family.

An outgoing and involved person would fit best in this school and find the opportunities to grow here. The more open-minded and driven person who wants to inspire and make a difference is the type of person that would find happiness here . Additionally though a person who has probably not lived in a big city or culturally diverse place would be more comfortable due to the general population economic and ethnic backgrounds.