Michigan State University

« See more reviews of Michigan State University

There have been two main areas of growth for me at MSU: critical thinking and dialogue. My studies in political theory and economics have focused on critical analysis and intuition. I have learned to think logically, support and structure an argument properly, and analyze information using intuition. In addition to augmenting these skills, my education had provided me with numerous problem solving strategies. This knowledge and experience will prove useful in the work place, as critical thinking, adaptability, originality, and inventiveness are in increasing demand. Furthermore, I have learned to dialogue respectfully with people from different backgrounds, as MSU’s diverse student body provides an abundance of opportunities to interact with students with dissimilar cultural, societal, and religious experiences. I have interacted with many disparate people and learned to respectfully discuss their differing beliefs. This skill will assist me in the future because American society is global-minded, ensuring that I will with people from different backgrounds in the workplace. In conclusion, MSU has offered me an incredible experience that has developed me intellectually and socially.

Choosing the right college is like choosing a second home. The student must feel welcome, and comfortable on campus, or it will be nearly impossible to study, interact with professors, and make friends; all of which are vital to make this stage of life a success. Most importantly, encourage the student to follow their dreams. Then decide what the student is interested in. If a desired major has not been chosen there are ?quizzes? online that formulate possible areas of interest from answers to questions about likes and dislikes. Once the student has examined possible careers research colleges that have accredited programs in those areas. Next, decide what size school the student will be comfortable attending. The final step is to visit the campuses that meet the criteria. If possible attend a class or two, people-watch and talk to professors and advisors. After a few days the student will know if that campus is someplace they can call home. Upon arrival to a new campus it is essential to experience new activites and people, but never abandon any morals. They say, your college days are the best of your life, but remember, life is only what you make it.

I would tell myself that one should not lose his sense to tell a story. I know a few friends who have been removed from the university or lost college credits due to using illegal substances or being careless. College is important and allows you to become an educated, useful individual. I know that no one would decline his chance at achieving success. So, why would you want to risk that? Nowadays, education is becoming the main criterion for job applications. It is nearly mandatory for one to have a Bachelor's Degree when applying for any job. Therefore, you are basically required to obtain a college degree. I know it is not easy to get a degree, but determination can bring you pleasant surprises. Experience, along with education, provides the best potential for success. You should look for opportunities that allow you to understand more about your desired career. You might choose to reconsider your career. Although career-related experience is important, you should remember to have some time for fun and relaxation. College is stressful so you need to find respite in activities you enjoy. Just make sure that your activities do not ruin your chance of success.

My academic goals have changed dramatically throughout my first two years at Michigan State University. My original aspirations were to become a nurse, but quickly learned that wasn?t my calling. The decision to change my major to Elementary Education has been one of the most amazing and gratifying. I discovered that my true aspirations are to become a teacher, and great mentor to my future students. As a resident mentor at Michigan State University, I have had the opportunity to directly influence students? lives. I have worked with hundreds of students supporting, encouraging, and motivating them as they embark on their undergraduate careers. I am learning it requires more than I thought to develop these skills, and allowing ideas to be formed, broken down, and built again is essential. I want to be the encouraging force in students? lives, and MSU is helping me achieve this goal. I believe that my struggles and path throughout my own education has allowed me to cherish each opportunity I am given. My goal is to become a great teacher, while transforming the ideas, lessons, and curriculum into a meaningful, wonderful experience for my students.

The undergraduate experience is more of an extention of high school as most careers now require that individuals complete a graduate degree to reach any level of proficiency or authority. With this in mind, it is helpful to consider both your undergraduate and graduate school plans and whether you will work in between these degrees or whether you will attempt to complete them in succession. Having decided on an initial plan, use university ratings guides as a point of departure but don't get too hung up on the numbers. Visit each institution you are considering attending and meet with an advisor to discern how flexible and helpful they will be academically and financially. They won't be more flexible once you have paid your tuition. You are the customer! Make a list of all the experiences you want to have at college and rank them. Then, make a chart for each school and their expected rankings for each experience. Highlight each school's chart using green, yellow or red for each experience based on your own internal ranking and scale. The "greenest" chart is your best school choice. Be open to new experiences and enjoy the journey! Have fun!

Making the most out of your college experience involves the parents and students. To be an effective student, students must have the support of their families and that includes more than financial support and care packages. Students need to know that their parents understand their trials and are there to assist them if needed, but parents also must give students room to grow into adulthood. Its about finding that perfect balance. College can be a very scary, lonely place without family. For students, come to college with an open mind, heart and spirit. Ask questions and seek answers to every question you've ever wondered. Don't be afraid and never back down. Search deep within yourself and never stray away from your goals. Making the most out of your college experience will depend on your expectations of it. Don't limit yourself! In finding the right college, strive to envision yourself on campus and being enveloped in its social strata. Research its financial aid office and monetary resources. Ask questions to students on campus when you visit. Attend programs of social groups you may be interested in and when you arrive STAY INVOLVED!

When looking for colleges, make sure you look at the academic programs that are offered, financial aid(if needed), and what the campus has to offer both socially and academically. The key factor in choosing a college is to visit and compare your top choices if possible visit all the colleges you apply to. Dont second guess which ever college you feel most comfortable with after visiting is the RIGHT college for you. Once you choose the college that you will be attending, go to the school's website and look up information about your classes( i.e, class descriptions, what the professors are like,prerequisites , majors/courses for your majors, clubs/organizations). College websites usually obtains tons of information for ne w students. Also try to see if there are groups on facebook for your school especially your incoming class. All of this will make the transition to college easier. Once you enter college get to know your professors(talk to them , go to their office hours if you need help,etc), come up with a study plan/schedule( try turning material learn in class into question/answers on flashcards), get involved with clubs/organizations.

The best advice that I can give to parents and/or students about finding the right college is to participate in any and all prospective students events. Some colleges offer the opportunity to take a tour, sit in on a class, or even spend the night in a dorm with other prospective students. Also, visit the camous not only during the week, but also during the weekend so you can see how many people there are on campus during those times. Make an effort to research not only the college, but also the area surrounding it because that can greatly affect your experiences. Research majors and also the extracurricular opportunities available. When researching majors, look for the class requirements, not just what majors they have. Many times, classes have restrictions and/or prerequisites that will make a difference in how fast you can graduate. Make sure that you do as much research as you possibly can so that you will not be caught off guard by hidden requirements after you have already begun to attend the school. Most importantly, make sure students and parents listen to each other when making a decision. It should be a collaborative effort.

Throughout my life I have been extremely self-conscious and I find myself continuously striving for perfection. During high school, I unconsciously sought to gain a sense of balance in my life by controlling the food I ate. Unfortunately, what started off as an innocent diet spiraled into a full-on obsession. Sadly, by senior year I was diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa. Eventually, I had reached a point of such pain and weakness that I needed to be admitted into an inpatient treatment center. The last semester of senior year I spent five months at an eating disorder clinic in Arizona called Remuda Ranch. This was a remarkable, life changing experience and saved me from the death that this disorder could have led me to. However, it wasn’t until college that I truly began to practice full recovery. Because of the friendships I created at this university and the level of support given to by my peers and professors, I realized that potential that I had and the promising future ahead of me. In a mere week, I will be graduating from Michigan State University. A university that opened the doors to my future and ultimately saved my life.

So far, I have gained much from my college experience. Not only have I obtained knowledge in my field of study, but confidence and determination to build a life for myself and my family. I am still a freshman, however I know I am farther than I was yesterday to reaching my goal of having my bachelor degree. College is teaching me subject matter, as well as keys to becoming successful in my life which really makes Westwood stand out to me. Not only are they focused on their students academic success, but emphasize how important it truly is to believe in myself so I can finish school. Before actually attending, I never thought I would end up in a program that would take three years to complete; but now, graduation feels like its just around the corner because learning my specific material (Criminal Justice) is so interesting, and furthermore, fun! I love everything about school- from the environment to the people, from the subject matter to the general ed classes. I have gained a boost of self-confidence and motivation that I never thought I could have from attending school alone. Everybody benefits from obtaining a college education!