Michigan State University Top Questions

The advice I would give to my high school self would be to apply to more scholarships and potentially attend a community college to get basic classes done first. The cost of university is stressful and reducing that stress is important to enjoy your time and studies. I would also tell myself to try new things and explore more options at Michigan State University. Attend all of the events you can and learn as much as you can about other people, cultures, and careers. Also learning about how to be apart of the research and environmental initiatives on campus too. One last thing, don't get so busy and stressed out with wanting to get great grades and having the total "college experience" that you never take time to stop, look around, and enjoy your university, its campus, and the people you are sharing it with.

The advice I would give myself is to just have fun. I was always so stressed about school, and sports in high school I feel like I never really got to enjoy it. I was working constantly, and I would tell myself to lay off that also. I feel like I grew up way too fast so definitely would say something like that if I were giving my high school self advice.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would encourage myself to be more open-minded. Starting college is an intimidating process, but I think that freshman year would have been more enjoyable had I been open to more new experiences. This involves everything from looking at different majors, classes, and clubs. Look into something you never thought you would try like underwater hockey! You never know what you may like until you do it. Remaining unstressed is also important and can be done by asking for help when necessary and doing activities to help you relax like yoga. I don't think that the importance of staying active can be overly stressed. It is so easy to get into the habit of rolling out of bed, going to class, going out with friends and doing it all over again. With less extracurricular activites then in high school, it is easy to put physicial fitness and eating well on the back burner. Taking good care of yourself and getting enough sleep is important and will save you from getting sick later. While this advice may seem simple, learning it early on leads to a smooth transition.

All of those alumni who came back were right, and wrong in a way. Much of it does get easier. You sleep a "normal" number of hours a night. You get to have a social life that isn't merely meeting with friends to cram for tests. There aren't nearly as many stressful classes. When you speak, people listen, and it's good. But it's worse in that there will always be that one class that is trying to tear you down and overwhelm you; and since you aren't surrounded by a bunch of people who probably qualify for a clinical depression diagnosis, it's harder to play it off as "normal", that "everyone gets that". There will be times when you feel like you're weak, like you're drowning, like you want to cry and scream, and it's going to be harder to push through. You just have to remember that you are strong, and that you can make it. You do what you have to in order to make it through, you force it to work. You're almost there, you just need to get through a little more before you can rest.

High school is different from College, but do not be scared. College is intimidating, but you can and will make it through. All you have to do is work hard and apply yourself. It is okay to take a low credit first semester. You are adjusting to a new life, a new home and new people. This in itself can be a lot to take on, so do not pile on 20 credits on top of that. Use your first to semester to figure out what you like and what you want from life. If you already know your major, join clubs and organizations that involve your major. You do not want to wait until your junior year to find out that you want nothing to do with this major. Do not ever shut yourself off to new friends, but it always helps to have a close-knit group you can fall back on. Most of all do not ever be afraid to call up your parents for advice. They have lived through this and they might know how to help. This does not make you weak; it makes you mature for admitting you need help and asking for it.

I would tell myself not to worry so much. I was terrified of college in general. I didn't know what to expect and high school didn't help me prepare well. I was nervous I wasn't going to find any friends, that the classes would be too hard, and that I wouldn't have any fun here. I wish I could tell myself that things were going to work out, that classes will be hard, but if I put in the work, I will succeed and even make the Dean's List my first semester there. I would tell myself that it's okay to be nervous, but that there's really nothing to worry about.

Griffin

The advice I would give to myself being a high school senior is this; take your time and have fun. I don't mean do whatever it is you want and not care about school, but coming from a school where all you do is eat, sleep and study, its most important to take time to have fun with the people you've grown up with. Being a high school senior is one of the best times of your life, you're the top dog! You've made it so far and even though "senioritis" is kicking in, it's important to buckle down, stick with it and have fun doing it. Heck, most of these people you aren't going to see again, so reach out and have conservations and promise to keep in touch. Go out on weeknights and spend time with your friends which you never do, or even stay up all night talking to them. Take this time for granted, because college is hard, but nothing you can't do. Live spontaneously, love unconditionally, laugh uncontrollably, and forgive miraculously. Have fun, for your life is only about to begin.

Raul

I would tell myself to put my self out there more. Try new things, new clubs, new people and different classes that I might not consider interesting. I grew a lot in college but I have learn that most of my growth has come from new experiences so I would strongly tell myself to take advantage of every opportunity that MSU had to offer.

Take senior year of high school slow. It goes by so fast because you're busy worrying about colleges and their deadlines and those acceptance letters, scholarships and funding your schooling, and even what you're going to school for that you forget to enjoy your senior year. My senior year I was stressed and my grades suffered, I pulled back from extracurriculars, and was less social. Granted that everything worked out perfectly, my advice is to live life as it is happening. Don't let the present pass you by while you make plans for the future. Absolutely apply to all your dream colleges and all the scholarships you can, but don't let that bleed into your high school life. There's a time and place for college and it's after high school.

Be open to new ideas and meeting new people. Also don't necessarily trust the people you knew in high school because college definitely changes people, and not always for the best. I would prepare myself to be lonely and for the transition to be very difficult, but that finding the right friends and groups makes the experience better.

Although it seems like you know everything, you really need to study. College is hard so stick to a schedule. Manage your time well so that you can work a lot also, you're going to need the money. There are a lot of great opportunities around campus. Join a club, and meet new people.

When you find those notes from the tea-leaf reader again, your head’s going to spin. A big move, she said. Yeah, college... Nope! Thailand. A year of perspectives thrown wide and your heart growing so much it aches. This big move is toward purpose in your life. When you get back to America, a school of 40,000 won’t seem so intimidating. It won’t be the piddly graduating class of 80 kids, but hey, they’ll all speak English! It’ll be tough, knowing whether people see you, but keep singing sweetheart. You’ll know they hear you. You’ll smile every time you sing at fencing practice. Stick with that. You’ll miss it after that ship has sailed. On Guard! Practice until you can get a toe touch on Gaeb. Feint him out. Lunge! Mom is right, you know. You don’t need the loans like you think you do. New friends don’t cost money, just time. Your old friends will be there after college, too. Maybe you should even live in that shoe-box with a stranger situation for another year. You might make the best college friend I’ll never have.

"Don't compare yourself to anyone else, your journey is just that: YOURS!" In high school, especially aroung the time we took the ACT I was stressed and overwhelmed with thoughts about getting into and paying for college. Much of this stress stemmed from being surrounded by students who I believed were smarter, and more privileged than I was. While other students received high ACT scores and GPA's I was "just average." Granted, my grades and ACT sccores weren't bad but I didn't believe they were good enough to get me into college. My peers also had parents who were prepared to fund their educations; I didn't and had to devote a lot of my time to applying for scholarships-- none of which I received. Now, as a college student, I have realized that everyone is on a different path; no two people got to college the same way and that's what makes it such a great experience. As I look back on my journey I can't help but be grateful for what I've learned as a result of those experiences and use the information as I continue my college career.

Craig

I would give anything to have the opportunity to give myself a 5 minute pep talk with my senior self. Throughout my highschool tenure, I was always the "little guy". I was on the wrestling team where 103 is the smallest weight class. My freshman year I was 4 feet 9 inches tall and only 85 pounds. I would always get teased for my stature and was countlessly rejected by the popular crowd for something I had zero control over: my size. Going back, I would tell myself, " Guess what buddy? You ARE going to grow over another foot, you're just a late bloomer. And guess what? While all of your peers are relying on there physical maturity to get attention and approval, you're building character. You have no choice but to rely on charisma and personality in order to present yourself, and when you get older, that's something you're going to be happy you have in your artiliary. High school fame doesn't last any longer than highschool. You're going to have a great time at MSU and share many once in a lifetime experiences with many lifelong friends. Love you, keep doing you."

Makenzie

STUDY! In high school, you could get A's with very minimum effort but the same is not true at college. Set aside time each week to review material learned in class. Do not skip class. Even though it is very, very easy to hit the snooze button and sleep through an 8 a.m. class, do not do it. All the material learned in class is relevant and there is a reason for going to college. You are paying for these classes so when you don't attend them, you are just wasting money. Also, don't worry so much about making friends. It will be upsetting at first but eventually you will meet the people who you will share lifelong friendships with. It is frustrating but it will get better. Other than that, I can't give any more advice. Life is still learned through experiences. You have to fail sometimes before you can succeed. No one is perfect. We all make mistakes. So take the good with the bad and always stay positive.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to savor the time I have in high school and I would tell myself one other thing. I would say that there is nothing that is going to prepare you for college. Yes you can buy all your dorm things, textbooks, and backpack but, college is the most unique thing you will experience. Everybody is friendly because they are just as new as you. High school you have grown up with the students in your class, but not college. You will meet your true friends and participate in things you cannot prepare for. For example, my first footbal in the student section is something I will always cherish. Everybody there was cheering for the school I was attend. I felt for the first time this was exactly where I was supposed to be. So no, nothing can prepare you for the extraordinary things you will experience in college. I would tell myself that not knowing is the best part of it all. If you knew what was going to happen it would not be as special. So enjoy high school right now because it will be very different soon.

Reginald

Well, you almost made it through high school. Congratulations! Those were some of the best and worst times of your life. You are now about to make the big transition to college. Reggie, be prepared because college is going to be a totally new world. In college, you are in a much bigger place with way more people. You’ll adjust just stay positive, keep smiling, and life will be fine. School is much different. There’s no more getting away with memorizing or last minute studying, you must learn everything! This will prompt you to feel stressed at times. Don't let the hard times get to you. Let it out. Your friends will be some of the best outlets you have to get you through the tough times. Reggie, making it to college is a big accomplishment. At times, you’ll forget that. Take time out to appreciate life and all that you’ve achieved. Be proud of yourself. Keep in contact with your family. Thank mom and dad for everything and tell them you love them. For now, enjoy your last days of high school. Don’t let off of the gas and finish strong.

amber

The advice that I would give myself is to one, take the Spanish CLEP exam. If I took it and did well enough, I would have gotten many credits, which means less classes I would have to take and less money I would have to pay for tuition. Plus, it would have made it easier to get a minor in Spanish. Secondly, I would tell myself to get out of my comfort zone. I have missed some opportunities at making new friends because I was so shy my freshman year. It is ok to go talk to random people you see around campus and just say hi, because you never know who may become your friend or who you will meet. Lastly, I would have told myself to search a lot more for scholarships. There are many scholarships for High School seniors that I did not even know about. It is a lot harder to receive scholarships now as a student already in college. All those scholarships would have relieved a lot of my financial burdens that I have now, that is why I am applying for this scholarship.

Beverly

Bev, Don't be afraid. Remember these are people who have a different background, but it's okay to make friends with people even when they don't know how to deal with how you dress or act. Reach out, but don't let them draw you in too far away from your studies. Pay attention to your classes, and remember that you don't know better than anyone else. Try to remain positive, because life does pass very quickly after a while, and remembering these days fondly will take you farther than remembering them in shadow. Most importantly though: Don't be afraid. It really will all be okay, and fear in the beginning will result in regret by the end. Present Bev

I approached my younger self sitting at my desk studying for the next AP biology test. "Listen," I said to myself "here's some advice you should really take to heart for the fall when you head to college. First, really make an effort to talk to people. I know it's not your forte, but you'll make some amazing friends just by sitting with people at lunch, and don't worry you WILL make friends. Second, be adaptable. You're going to in situations that will touch your nerves. Just take a breath and understand where another person is coming from. Not everyone will like you, but you can't win them all and besides I know you could care less about winning them all. Finally, have some fun! It's college. There will be no one checking up on you, besides mom's weekly calls, but let loose and enjoy yourself. Don't be uptight like you have been these past four years." My younger self looked like a deer in headlights so I added, "You'll make it through and you'll enjoy every minute of it. See you soon!" and walked away.

Jacob, college is a very strange place. It is where you will hope to building a jumping off point for the rest of your life. One would hope that they make lifetime friends, find new interests, and propel your academic career. Your first year is rough. You get sick (including bronchitis) a lot, you don't make many friends, and in academic and athletics you will be pushed to the limits. But it pays off sophomore year. All the things you learned freshman year and everything that challenged you prepares you for the next year and probably the last two too. So my advice to you, put your head down and go straight ahead and just know everything will be allright.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to my high school self, there are a few things I would want to say. The first thing I would tell myself is to get involved in a variety of extracurricular activities such as theater, music, student council, volunteering, and maybe even a sport. I would say that it is better to try things that are out of your comfort zone, than to regret not trying them later. I would discuss how focusing on schoolwork and studying is a priority. I'd mention how easy it is to get distracted by friends and forget to do a homework assignment, but that it's the small grades that can really help or hurt you. The last advice I would offer, is to apply for as many scholarships as possible. My "present self" didn't know how important that was when I was in high school, and I wish with that advice we could spare "future me" from student loan debt. I would love to say all of those things, but the most important advice I could give would be, do your best to make the world a better place.

Thalia

Don’t be afraid. It seems like the simplest thing to tell a person, but fear makes being yourself ten times more difficult. There are always people that will become your friend and will help you have the best college experience possible. Don’t hesitate to get things you need for your dorm room, or you will be stressing out the week before you leave over all the things you need. As long as you are confident in yourself people will be drawn to you, like a moth to a flame. Don’t be afraid to be yourself. Don’t be afraid to try new things like join clubs, go to activities on campus, and talk to new people. Don’t be afraid, because although Michigan State University may at first seem like a big scary monster, it turns out that it is the best place for a student to be.

Mackenzie

If I could ever go back and give myself words on wisdom on how college truly is, there are four things that I would emphasize. The first would be that grades are everything in college, so when you want to go out and party on the weekend instead of write your eight page paper due on tuesday, then you need to change your priorities and always keep focused. Another thing I would warn myself of is keep your morals high and stay true to who you are. Just because a boy asks you to "hook up" that night or someone offers you a drink at a party and you're thinking, "Hey, everyone does it!", doesn't mean it's the best thing for you. The third would be to ask questions during class and don't stray away from asking those questions during lecture, but have courage because any professor would want to see you succeed. And the final thing would be to have faith and trust in the Lord. He always has a plan and every action you take reflects on Him and that plan that he has set forth for you, and always choose the right path.

Deontae

I don't think I would give myself any advice about the college life and making the transition. I had already started studying last year and I also started getting out of my comfort zone. That's not to say that it has always been great, because I am an observer so I don't really talk to many people like that. Next year, though, I will have way more time more time to observe and then decide on who I want to hang out with. So yeah, that's the advice I took last year.

Remember that the reason you go is to work at the viola and dont forget that the competition level is very intense and jobs are even more scarce than what you think. Make sure to be focused and intentional about everything you do. Be efficient. Efficiency may be the most important thing to make you feel happy and with purpose. Always thank God for giving you so many blessings. And when you see that girl at the dinner dance your freshman year, Say something to her.

Philbert

I would give myself the following advice: 1. If going to an out- of- state school, get you own place or a P.O. Box address as soon as possible so that you will be eligible for in- state tuition within one year. Or a single if planning to live in a dormitory for the duration of college; this achieves the next point. 2. Study whenever possible: don't worry about having a robust social life there will be plenty of time for that afterwards. 3. Network with people: try to obtain a summer internship in something that interests you; hopefully, within the major you chose. 4. Take advantage of your professor's office hours as an opportunity to, not only, clarify the workload, but as a means of building a personal relationship with them. This achieves two purposes: It allows them to put a face to a name; you're not just a name on a test paper and it builds on your relationship for possible references; save via email and/or always keep a copy on file. 5. Apply for scholarships every year because it reduces the chances/ amount of aid needed to finance your education.

Francine

If I could go back and talk to my high school self I would tell her to be more actively involved. Throughout high school I focused on my grades and my soccer team. Now I am in college and my career path requires me to have many hours of vet shadowing and animal experience. All the time I spent doing other things could have been spent getting experience and taking on projects that I could add to my resume and to my list of experiences. I would also tell myself to lighten up and have fun because college is hard word and I will rergret not taking time to have fun. I would wanted myself to take advantage of the many scholarships out there and not get discouraged everytime I see that my application has been rejected. My high school senior self would probably be annoyed with the many request I would demand, but I would thank me if we ever met again. So now I am trying to make myself more available and have a diversity to myself.

Take more risks! Dont be afraid of failing because failure is what makes us better!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to develop study habits. My high school was small, with a graduating class of about 65 people. I never had to study to get through my classes, everything came fairly easy to me. My first semester at college was rough because I had no idea how to study, or how to learn in a large classroom enviroment. I was put on academic probation and was afraid I would fail out due to low grades. A helpful study routine was finally created in my second semester, and I was able to finish the year with good grades. If I could go back, I would sit myself down and make sure I understood how important studying was at the college level. This knowledge would have been a great help at the beginning of my freshman year.

Don't be afraid. Everything will work out and you'll be happier than you've ever been. You will meet amazing people. You will become a better person for what you experience, and you can't hold yourself back. Don't be afraid. Study hard. Pay attention in your math class. Tell Jill you will miss her. Tell Angie you love her every chance you get. Don't be afraid. Walk to the park, stand in the middle of it and breathe the air because things don't smell the same in East Lansing. Invest in an extended warranty for your new computer. Don't be afraid. Only pack the shirts that you actually think you'll wear.Familiarize yourself with the bussing system before you land smack-dab in the middle of campus without a clue where you are. You'll make mistakes, and that's okay. Don't be afraid. The girl from Gross Isle in your Acting 1 class will become your best friend. Don't let apperances deceive you, she's just as much of a nerd as you. You'll be amazing. Please don't be afraid.

While many people say college is the best time of your life, it would be more accurate to say that it is the first step in what should be the best time of your life. It's not a time to sit back and wait for life to come to you but, rather, a time for you to discover in what way you will plan on diving in to the world. It's OK to take chances and be involved in things that may not seem great at first because that's how you figure out who you are as a person. Never forget that you are in school to learn but it's both about you and your subject matter. Make time for your classes and your studies but make time for yourself as well. This is where you will make the connections that you will use for the rest of your life both professionally and personally.

Devon

The things you think you know are wrong. The way you treated your family and friends is wrong. The things you know about yourself are wrong. You would never describe yourself as arrogant in the few years I knew you, but arrogant you were. The pompous way you would rationalize every scenario that did not go your way was telling, as was the anger you felt when girls were not interested and the lack of respect from your peers. Instead of looking inward, you find the fault in everyone else. This was reflected in the way you treated others you deemed below you, as if you sought to convince yourself of your own superiority. I am here to tell you now that everything you know is wrong. I know how you truly feel inside and you should know that showing weakness is not a flaw but a strength. By opening yourself to others, everything you so desperately desired in high school will come. Be giving to yourself and others and be honest with what you want, and these things will find you. This I promise.

be more confident in yourself. the road is going to be very rocky i can assure you that but tears are not going to be the cure here. its courage to ask others for help. you'd be surprise what kinda doors would open for you. it doesnt matter if your peers are going to be better then you. working hard on a talent is way more worthy then just pure talent. the transiton is going to be tough so make a scedule of time management ahead of time. then if anything changes like when you get that job you can always tweak it but stick to it as well. that way you can make new friends on your breathing time instead of always worrying about math. have faith in yourself also. you may seem like the worst artist right now but thats only because you are just beginning. have fun with it and give it plenty of care. then it will really shine here. as for writing just keep writing you have a knack for it and will help you alot. most of all,keep your head up because no matter what happens you are making your family proud

Quanesha

If I could go back in time, the advice I would give myself would tell myself that getting a C was like getting an A in high school. Meaning the first paper you write in college you are most likely going to recieve a C on it. Mainly because you write like a high school student and have not progressed into a college scholar writer. So do not panic it was just your first paper your doing pretty good. That is actually an average college level grade. You should sit in the FRONT row of every class, professors like that. You should go to professors' office hours too. It helps your professor get to know you, and they remember you. You need those kind of connections when its time to get Letters of Recommendation. Use a monthly planner to help you stay on top of your assignments, and any appointments you have. You do not have a personal alarm clock anymore, make sure you set a alarm so you can get up for class. GO TO CLASS, missing one day is like missing a week. Take good notes so they can help you study. Lastly, study groups are very helpful.

Mariah

If I could go back in time the one thing I'd tell myself is, "Manage your time wisely, know the difference between when it's time to work and when you can wind down to have fun with your friends, know exactly what you want to do and create a goal list as a blue print to your personal success." I've learned that you have to be your own motivator in college because it's your life and ultimately your decision whether you're going to succeeed or fail. It's also especially important to create a goal list and manage your time wisely in order to acheive those goals because it's easier to see where you are and how far you come, and that alone is incentive to do good and work hard. As the saying goes, "The world will tell you who you are, (which is a standard undergraduate student like everyone else entering college) until you tell the world." At that point (graduation/starting your career), you'll be able to tell the world you are the person you always dreamt to become, the most amazing, kind-hearted and generous Anesthesiologist. --- (my future job)

Dear Kyle, You are still a senior and are worrying about what you will do in your final days and how to adjust to college. I want you to know that there is no need to worry at all. College can seem scary at the moment with questions like: how will I make meaningful friends, what happens if I struggle in my classes, and what will the financial burden be like? To answer the first question, just know that you ae not the only one in your exact situation. Many other students will be starting the journey of college just like you and they will want friends to help them through it as well. As for tackling the coursework, if things are not going too well, there are people there willing to help you. They do not want to see you fail, and all you have to do is ask for their help. As for the finances, you may be hearing all your friends how expensive college will be. I implore you to take advantage of as many scholarship opportunities as possible. Along with the other pieces of advice, the opportunities are out there, you just have to grab it.

You better get ready, bud. The next 4 years of your life are going to be the most frightening and crazy years you've seen yet. You'll be at the bottom of the barrel, surrounded by 50,000 other students, and will have to climb your way to a successful degree in Music. You'll lose sleep, you'll fight with friends, and you'll have nights where you wonder if it all is worth it. But. You will also have more fun, more exhilaration, and far more satisfaction than anywhere else. There is no feeling like being a part of the drumline in front of thousands of screaming fans, like walking away from an exam you know you aced with 200 other students, no connection like making friends closer than you'll ever have. But most of all, you'll find yourself. You will be sitting on your apartment balcony 3.5 years from now and look back on what you were and realize the incredible growth. So dive in head first. Absorb everything you can, participate, and study hard. Being an adult is inevitable. College truly is about learning. You'll certainly learn how to live here.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. It can be scary trying to learn about the not-so-pretty undersides of college life, such as heavy workloads or finances, but you need to learn somewhere and be willing to ask people what your options are. It's okay to not know everything, nobody knows it all, but it's also okay to ask others what to do when you feel like you're in the dark. An educated opinion leads to wise decisions, so learning from people who have been in the situations you're about to be in will help you get the most out of it when the time comes. It'll help make the entire transition to college much smoother than it would have been otherwise, and it'll certainly lift a massive amount of anxiety off of your shoulders.

As a senior, I was shy. I wasn't confident in myself and I didn't know what I wanted to do. If I could go back I would tell myself, don't worry, you're doing the right thing by attending community college first. I would also say, join a club or something! I skipped out on clubs and sports completely and I shouldn't have. I would tell myself to use some bad life experiences to my advantage rather than let them get me down (something I learned a couple years later). I would tell myself that community college is going to be easy but at MSU, put in a lot more effort than usual to get top grades.

Jaclyn

If I was back sitting at my kitchen counter, looking at the envelopes of schools that I could potentially go to, I would first say pick Michigan State University. I would remind myself to get involved and be active meeting new people and joining different organizations. With college life and transitioning I would say to relax, everything will work out. Yes it is going to be hard work and challenging but you will succeed in anything you want to do. Do not be afraid to fail because you are going to a million times, but it is your job to get back up and try again. And when you feel that you have completely lost control of your life, I would remind myself to sit down, breathe, and talk to the friends you have made and your professors, it will surprise you how much they can help. I would tell myself that these next 4 years of my life are going to be extraordinary. You're going to meet people that will change your life and make you a better person. I would finally tell myself to relax and get excited to create your future.

Tiara

If I could go back to high school and give myself advice I would tell myself to stay focused. Being focused does not allow distractions and negative outburst to get in the way of success. Instead, being focused allows room for growth and an increase in the probability of reaching one's goals. I would also tell myself to never give up. College is hard. There are times where you will feel lonely and other times where you will feel like a complete failure. But dispite the many obstacles and tribbulations that may come your way, don't give up; for the finish line is far greater than which you've started from.

Antonio

College is going to be a rough journey for the career your going to pursue. Your going to study Aircraft Maintenance Technology so it's a difficult 18 month course. You will go to work at 6:30 and get out at 3 but then go to school from 4 to 10. This will be monday through friday; so stay focused in high school because it's only going to get harder. I suggest you should be applying for scholarships right now because right now; you have to take a $5,500 loan in order to complete the first three semesters of this five semester course. I leave you an inspirational quote:"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. But it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" Rocky Balboa

Megdelawit

During high school, I kept to myself. I rarely raised my hand in class despite doing well in class, nor did I participate in many things even though I had plenty of ideas. I found myself doubting my ability even though I was just as qualified as any student. I shielded myself from so many opportunities. Looking back, I realize how silly my lack of confidence was, but it did not come immediately after enrolling in college. During my freshman year, I lived life relatively the same way I did during high school – secluded myself, double-thinking every move, keeping myself reserved. It wasn’t until the end of the year that I realized just how unhappy and tired I was with restraining every thought just to remain anonymous. My university is huge. School spirit is rampant, classes are fairly large, thousands of people are on campus….it’s very easy to get lost in the cracks. I was forced into some long awaiting revelations: be yourself As cliché as it may sound, it’s true. When graduating college, there are hundreds of students of the same qualifications as you – but no one is you. No one can be you.

I would tell myself to be more organized with my classes and time management.

Knowing what I know now about college life, the advice I would give to myself as a high school senior would be simple. My advice would be to give yourself a break and remember that everything gets better eventually. There are so many new experiences and new responsibilities that come with going to college. I think it is so important to know that you don’t have to be perfect and it is ok to learn as you go. Going to college means learning how to be an adult and figuring out the person that you are. These are not things that are going to be figured out overnight. With each experience, take away what you can and learn what you need to learn, but then let it go. Sometimes it’s going to feel like you don’t know what you’re doing. Give yourself time and give yourself a break! Sometimes you need to just focus on what’s important, put your head down and power through. I promise that there will come a point where you will look around you and be truly happy with where you’re at what you have accomplished.

Roxanne

If I could give advice to my high school senior self, I would encourage myself to improve my time management. Back then, I tried to complete numerous tasks (like applying for scholarships) at the same time. Instead of successfully multi-tasking and having more free time, my efforts resulted in many incomplete projects and feelings of frustration and helplessness that lasted all day. Those negative feelings led to a loss of motivation, which led to more time wasted. Instead on continuing the same unproductive cycle, I would tell myself to assign blocks of time for each individual task, in order of importance. After completing a number of tasks, I would allow myself to take a break, to keep maintain mental clarity. After an allotted period of time, I would tackle the next task on the schedule. I would assure myself that by learning to prioritize and divide my time wisely, I would become more productive and efficient, with fewer task-related frustrations. I would tell myself that learning to manage my time would benefit me not only presently, but with future endeavors, such as college and career tasks, as well.

I would tell myself to go in as an undecided major so that you can explore your options. Also my other big thing would be to get out there in those first few months and get to know people. MSU is a huge campus with a lot of opportunities to make friends so why not take advantage of that. The only other thing I would advise myself on is that this isnt high school and classes are harder so take them seriously and work hard for what you want in your life. Lastly I would say to call home frequently. Your family is what made you who you are going into college and they know how to calm you down or reassure you if you ever get to a point where you are frusterated or even just doubt your decisions.

Dominique

If I could go back and talk to my former high school self, I would have so much to say that I might scare myself! First, I would let them know that they would be in for a culture shock because everyone would not mix and mingle with each other in college as they would have in high school. I would also let them know that even though they were in the top 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of their high school class, college would be different and the studying you did in high school would not be enough for what you would need to do in college. I would urge my past self to practice balancing fun and work because without it you will drift to either one side or the other, but either way you would not be reaching your maximum potential. And finally, I would tell my past self to not accept all of the loans they offer because you may not need them but they won't tell you that. If I could go back, I would tell my past self everything that I wish I had known before.

Alexa

College is difficult. Don't take your grades for granted. Studying and doing homework well isn't something you can simply put off or do half-heartedly. You have been given a wonderful opportunity to study in a residential college that is staffed by professors hailing from Harvard, Princeton, all walks of life. You get the best of both worlds- a small college education at a large university. Do not waste your time here. You can do so much with your life, if only you allow yourself the ability to succeed.