Michigan State University

« See more reviews of Michigan State University

I'm an environmental and animal rights minded person. My first choice would have been the University of Oregon for my field of Environmental Studies. Michigan State is a reputable college; it is highly credible as a reseach school and agricultural college, and has it's own recycling center - however, in terms of animal rights and deeper environmental ethics it scores somewhat low. It is hard to fight an animal and environmental ethics battle against farmers and research scientists exploiting both the environment and countless animals. All in all, I wish I had realized the close mindedness I would encounter.

What a great opportunity it truly is to attend here. Besides the academics, I have participated in a fraternity, clubs, have been a Resident Mentor, tutored two classes, attended football, basketball, hockey and cultural events and concerts. I have worked with two professors on research projects and have been provided with a broadening experience in a very diverse and eclectic environment. I have learned how to ski and work out regularly at the modern gym facilities. Our campus is 60% women and there are tremendous social opportunities. I also am part of an active Catholic faith community.

There's a website for MSU students only, where past and present students rate their proffessors- so you know ahead of signing up for classes which teachers you want based on teaching skills, approachability, personal prefference, student experience, and ability to teach- anything that could help decide whether the class is for you . It also allows students to sell and buy their text books for cheaper than book stores. (allmsu.com) Take advantage of the undergraduate counselors to help you plan out your class load. Dont be intimidated by upper-class, everyone loves everyone who's a Spartan.

One thing that I wish I knew before coming to Michigan State University was allmsu.com. This website has everything from student?s posts on classes to professor ratings to apartments and tickets for sale. It is an outstanding website that connects students with their peers. One can get a variety of responses regarding teachers and class structures. Once I learned of this site, I immediately saw the benefit and still use it to this day when choosing my class schedule. This website was created by our students and shows the ingenuity that Michigan State University has to offer.

If I could go back in time and tell myself something about the university, I would make sure I realized just how many opportunities are available at Michigan State University. I would also tell myself that I would have to pick and choose which clubs, organizations, and opportunities I would pursue because it is impossible to become involved in every one. In addition to this, I would educate myself in how much college differs from high school. Study habits should be different because the exams and homework are different. Also, I wish I would have known more about time management.

Since Michigan State University is not far from my home, I had visited its campus numerous times. As an athlete, I played in many tournaments on its beautiful campus. In addition, I trained in a facility near the campus for years. In addition, my parents and my cousin all attended college there. Therefore, I feel like I chose Michigan State armed with essentially all of the key information I would need to know about it in order to make the right choice for myself. While I may discover something I should have known about it, that has not yet happened.

i wish i knew how to study efficiently. not to be too stubborn the first time around to ask for help. to know how to balence time right and acually know how much i should out into an art piece without being so distracted all the time. to communiciate with professors instead of always leaving the classes and do not push myself too hard on myself if i dont. To have a summer job before hand instead of scratching up money or crying over spending 50 dollars in an anime convention. most importantly i wished i had more confidence.

The most important thing that I wish I had known prior to coming to MSU would be that you don't need to know what you want to be right away. There are great counseling and advising services provided which can help you narrow your interests. I, for one, was not ready to decide my major when I was writing applications for schools. I thought it was a better idea to take some classes and get an understanding for what I was interested in before making such an important decision. You can learn so much simply by asking for help.

As a transfer student at Michigan State University I wish I was prepared for how much I have to speak up for myself. At such an immense institution the phrase “little fish in a big pond” began to make a tremendous amount of sense to me. Being approximately twelve hours away from home I have learned to be the one to make calls and set up meetings with financial aid, the registrar’s office, amongst others to make sure that I have a voice in my higher education. Therefore, I wish I was aware of how to be more independent.

The university itself is the most beautiful, amazing place ever. I personally took the took the advice of one of my teachers in high school and entered the engineering department. This route took set me back a year in school, it took some time to figure out what I really wanted to do with my life. Had I known and thought about things that interested me more than the opinion of a teacher, I would be much further along in my academic career. I am still trying to figure it out, but my mind is finally being stimulated.