Michigan State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Michigan State University

Sara

MSU is a college that wishes for you to succeed. The amount of information that is handed out daily provides students with updates about college life and opportunities to make new connections. The community wants to expand their diversity, and shares their open views and judgements, that provides an inclusive community. I enjoy how the teachers reach out to the students and try to connect with them.

Makayla

I would definitely suggest it to someone! Explain the love I have for it, and all the great time they will have. They will not regret it, its an experience in itself. There something for everyone, and everyone is there for the same reasons. They won't be disappointed!

MSU provides an excellent education along with wonderful opportunities to not only help us with our education, but life beyond school forming students into well rounded individuals!

Adrianna

The best place on earth. You can’t get anything better.

Jack

When I first came to the campus I was out-of-state and had little idea what to expect. But as the years went by I was more than pleasantly surprised at the overall friendliness of everyone on the campus, ranging from students to even the faculty. There are tons of extracurriculars and a beautiful campus to boot. Anyone would be more than lucky to call this place home.

Lilly

MSU is an awesome campus with a diverse student population. A great school for someone looking for a large university where there's always something going on.

Celeste

The campus is overall nice and the people are quite independent, almost every sort of personality is represented there. People who thrive off others love it yet there is enough anonymity for isolationists to blend with the crowd yet remain unscathed. The scandals, including Larry Nassar, are something that is discussed between students, professors, and adults. Anger and frustration is real, and it certainly does not make up for loss of reputation for the school, but there are students and teachers working to try and better the world that others, on the campus, destroy.

Michigan State University that allows students to achieve what they thought would be impossible. There are many opportunities available to achieve growth and to become a better person. There is a reason as to why our motto is "Spartans Will." The reason being that we will actually commit to something to try and achieve it.

Kaitlin

I actually really like it, the only things I don’t like are how they handle sexual assault and how their Sororities are run. Other than that things are good, if you want to get involved you can, I have never been one to be super involved but after coming to MSU I am more involved than ever

Desirae

I think Michigan State University is an excellent place to be. The environment is extremely welcoming from the students to the professors. My advisers always help with any questions I have, and my professors are always willing to stay after class or set up meetings if I had any troubles. There are many clubs and activities to do- on and off campus. There is no other school I would rather be.

Eleanor

I enjoy my time here and often feel safe despite the recent news of assault. There's a mix of partying and academics, most of which can be skewed to your personal liking and friendships. Class sizes are quite large but most professors are willing to meet in smaller groups/one-on-one if needed.

Jim'al

Michigan State feels like a mini-culture. There are so many places to go, events are consistently planned out throughout the year, and people can be really friendly to the point where you can actually randomly walk up to them a lot of times and start a conversation. Peers remember you from classes even if it was a few years ago, professors are effective, and there are places you can go to for help.

Azya

Michigan State University has a lot of resources. It has many different school programs as well, any and almost every club. For example, a squirrel watching club. My issue though is the diversity, being that the school is predominantly white you do run into issues, of bigotry, racism, and many different ideologies. Which becomes places to the students of those minorities to speak out against and to say something or the voices won't be heard. This makes it hard for me, as someone who is African American, having to explain to a University that I give thousands of dollars to, that as a paying costumer I matter, and they should see me verses my worth. I enjoy the resources that are available, but I wish when it came to world issues, MSU would get more involved to let their students know, that they see and hear them, despite what is going on in the world. For all we as students know, is MSU sides with these bigot, and racist, ideologies.

Katrina

Michigan State University is home to a beautiful campus, you're constantly surrounded by the green outdoors. Some class sizes can be large, but Michigan State offers so many opportunities for their students to get help from professors, tutors, etc. that it shows they're committed to you. Michigan State has so many academic advisors, even people that work in your hall that it is so easy to access the people and resources you need to make sure you're on the right track academically and emotionally. Also, the atmosphere at Michigan State on game days are outrageous, Michigan State is a Big-Ten school, so sports are a huge factor in the student body. Almost everyone shows their school spirit loud and proud on game days, no matter what team is playing, the students are always supporting. Michigan State University is the perfect fit for me, I would recommend the University to anyone that wants to be apart of a beautiful campus, great academics, and amazing sports teams.

You definitely get your money worth when you come to MSU. The atmosphere is welcoming and the academics are unparalleled. It is very easy to make friends since there's an activity or club for everyone. Though Greek life is a big part of the school, no one is pressured to join! Overall, I feel very much at home on campus!

Karen

I love Michigan State University. No matter your personality type, you can thrive at this school. There are so many different groups and people you will meet, that there is no way you won't find friends. We know how to balance academics, work, and a social life. I believe, though, that it is so important to join a club as a freshman, because this is a large university and you may feel lost within all the other people who appear to know what they are doing.

Ally

I have enjoyed my time there, overall, but it is in a period of transition. Tuition rates are changing, leadership is changing, and they are trying to fix their reputation in many ways. I cannot guarantee that you will like the way it turns out, but I really have been happy there.

Em

Imagine yourself as a parent and Michigan State University is your child keeping secrets from you. In reality, sometimes attending MSU really feels like that. There were many instances where my friends and I were clueless about what's going on on campus. We thought everything on campus was "gucci", but in hindsight, there were some people getting food poisoning in specific dining halls, violence, and other drama. It's actually common for big universities to do this and MSU does a pretty good job keeping the students in the dark, however, as for someone living on campus I wish there was better communication with students. Now apart from this issue, I would like to give a standing ovation to MSU. MSU offers dozens of programs for different majors to help students better transition to college. As one of the biggest campuses in the U.S., I was surprised to find that their academic advisors are easily available for students to reach out to and seem genuinely invested in your college experience/plan. There are HUNDREDS of clubs one can join, in fact, they have something called 'Sparticipation' a day where all the organizations and clubs are in one area for you to decide. It's like Tinder actually, swiping right on the clubs that interest you and exchanging digits/email to get more information. There's definitely a school spirit once you're on campus, just scream on top of your lungs, "GO GREEN" and you'll 100% get a response back (money-back guaranteed). MSU's class size also varies a lot, which is something I really like. There are many instances where if you prefer a smaller class size setting, there's a course section available for that, vice-versa. For example, for my 8 am classes (I know...I must hate myself), I would choose big lecture sections, where I can hide in the back and snooze away (sorry mum). Lastly, I'm dedicating this paragraph to their food. As a huge foodie, having good food is essential to me in deciding my liking of a college. During my first semester at MSU, I was pleased to see their variety of food options from Asian cuisine to pasta night. Besides finding a few expired items like chips and bread, the food was pretty good...actually, as I said that the image of me eating their cold uncooked chicken tenders resurfaced, so I'm going to rephrase this. Sometimes the food is really good. Sometimes when they serve ribs and chicken wings, I would immediately help myself for a second serving, thinking 'oOo I'm getting my money's worth today'. However, the other half of the time, the food would be unseasoned, too seasoned, really dry, uncooked, overcooked...you get the point. But I'd like to point out, the dishes itself is actually superb compared to many other college dinings, and there are dozens of delicious restaurants nearby that you go to once your tastebuds began rejecting the dining food.

Alexander

Michigan State University is an overall "solid choice" to attend. This university is a great choice for "B" students; more difficult courses and programs than most other Michigan state (small s) universities, but still behind University of Michigan. There is amazing school pride and spirit, especially in the fall with football season. There are extracurriculars for pretty much anything you can think of (over 700 clubs!). If you enjoy partying with friends, there is no better place to do it in Michigan than at MSU. I would recommend Michigan State to anyone who is open to new experiences, a beautiful, sprawling campus, diverse programs and students, and overwhelming school spirit.

Kaitlyn

I've learned a lot at Michigan State University. There are many opportunities to be involved in student groups and clubs and to succeed in your classes. You can definitely choose how much you are involved in parties and sports. As for on campus, I do not feel safe as a student. There is also a lot of scrutiny of the university's administration right now because of their involvement in allowing Larry Nassar to sexually abuse girls and women at the school for over 20 years.

Thomson

To be honest, I have very mixed feelings about this university. The cons: As much as I would love to say that I belong here, I sometimes feel as though I am insignificant. I believe this is due to the huge undergrad population. Most introductory courses consist of big lectures with 300+ students, and it is almost impossible to get to know the professors without attending their office hours. Fortunately, most of them are professional and hold consistent schedules. Perhaps also due to the large student body, I have come to find that many students can get away with lacking basic manners. I would even characterize some as being downright rude. The feeling of being "just another fish in the sea" can sometimes lead to the belief that your actions are carried on with anonymity. This is perhaps most obviously reflected in the recent ban on whiteboards and the prevalence of sexual assault on campus. The pros: The campus is huge, and every square inch of it is stunning. The Red Cedar is a beautiful river that runs through the heart of campus. Students will often dangle their feet in the water and feed the friendly ducks that linger around. The dorms are spacious, and each one comes with a community kitchen, a laundry room, and an exercise room. The RA's are generally some of the friendliest people on campus, and they are willing to help you with anything you may need. The cafeteria food is simply incredible! They offer plenty of vegetarian and vegan options every day. And finally, my mom says she loves how efficient the school is in their due diligence; my transcripts came on time and worry free, my tuition bills are easy to understand, and my financial aid went through without a hitch. Hearing some of the stories from friends at other colleges, I can say that I am happy with the way things turned out for me. Overall I enjoyed my first year at MSU, and I am positive that this year will be an even better experience.

Huei

MSU is great.

raisa

My overall opinion of Michigan State University is a great one. Although we may take pride in our sports teams a little too much. The school has a lot to offer socially and academic wise . The campus is very diverse and visually appealing. I love that Michigan state has a city but can also give you a rural feeling in some parts it's like the best of both worlds! P.S. The cafes and dinning plans are top notch. I love MSU! Go green! Go white!

Trevor

My first year at Michigan State University has been a transformative experience. Coming from a very small town with very little diversity in culture, race, and otherwise, it was a big change for me, and I like to think I blossomed. I have learned so much, not just from professors, but from the students around me, who have enlightened me with their own cultures and perspectives. Being here I know I'm on the road to find my best self.

Augustus

I thoroughly enjoy Michigan State, the campus is very welcoming and navigation is not an issue despite the size of the campus. I wish that there was more consistency with the quality of the food on campus, but it is still much better than that of other campuses due to the accessibility and pricing of meal plans. I would say that this campus is great for almost all fields due to the aspect that it is a high tier research institution as well.

Huei

I love everything here.

I think Michigan State is a great university, but could stand to spread their funding out farther than sports to art facilities. There are a lot of opportunities to get involved in a lot of different activities, but sometimes they can be pricey, especially the campus gym and things like that.

It's a great state university. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved academically, socially and physically. While it is a little on the pricey side, the expense is worth it. We have top-notch facilities and the professors really know there stuff. Classes aren't a breeze, but they aren't pure hell if you know what you're doing.

katila

I like the atmosphere at MSU.MSU offers a lot of variety. Places to go, things to do, and classes to take. There are a lot of opportunities, however, because it's such a large place it's easy to get lost in the numbers. You need to be proactive about your college career and take control. A lot of people have gotten in trouble just listening to advisors, you need to double check what they tell you. The classes are large, if you don't go, know one cares. You need to introduce yourself to the professor and make it obvious that you are there to learn and are trying to succeed. My main complaint currently about MSU is the emphasis and money they place on football. Tutiton keeps going up and up, but we invest more and more into the stadium. Perhaps, if i could play football and go to college for free this wouldn't bother me..... Another issue is the city of East Lansing....they want your money, but they don't want you. They are constantly trying to cut down on the student housing and move everyone into large student housing groups in the Bath area (north of campus). The police care only about DUIs, disorder's and underage drinking. It's sad that the city and student body are so against one another. It's almost the opposite of U of M, where Ann Arbor enjoys the students and they have a great city and relationship to show for it.

Angelica

Michigan State is a great school because of the very diverse atmosphere. There are literally organizations to join any type of people. No matter what you like, you can be sure to find an organization that is a perfect fit for you. Also, Michigan State has one of the most beautiful campuses around. There are lots of on-campus resources to help make transitions easier. Since we are a BIG 10 school, sports season is very exciting and I look foward to it every year.

Emma

It's not bad. I prefer the after class activities most of all. There's a club for everything. There are plenty of opportunities for on campus work, and they will hire anything that has a pulse. I didn't use many of the facilities. I'm not much of a studier, but they were always there if i needed them. The counseling center can be a bit packed and overbooked. The school's a bit pricey, but it's worth it if you're an in state student like me. I don't know about out of state students though. I have yet to live off campus, so i can't make a comment on that, but the on campus housing is good. You will never be cold.

Alexis

There is no other place that I would rather call home. From the outstanding academics, knowledgeable professors, strong alumni network and amazing atmosphere- there truly is no other experience like being a Michigan State Spartan. Once you are a Spartan you are a Spartan for life, and other Spartans will always be there to help you out no matter where you are.

Sicely

My overall opinion of this college is that it’s academics are challenging, professors strict but willing to help, and the extracurricular activities available are overwhelming. There may be some partying going on from time to time but it’s usually not something that causes a problem. I don’t see a lot of people doing drugs but I know people are doing them. Unless it’s dark out or not too many people are around, I feel safe. Overall, this university has the same problems others face with drugs and alcohol but it’s academics are above the average college.

kevin

overall, i love MSU so far and am glad i chose to come here. The weather does suck most of the time, but classes are super close to the many housing options you have. The one big problem i do have is the office of financial aid and there unwillingness to help students even though i know they can. but overall its great.

Sydney

Michigan State is a big school with a lot of opportunities for learning, participating in sports and clubs, and gaining new experiences. The campus is very large but secluded and feels like it's own little city. You can tell when you walk off campus. The teachers are pretty good and are always willing to help out.

alina

It has been the best four years of my life thus far and look forward to the opportunities that it has prepared me for in my future.

In my experience of Michigan State University so far the professors enjoy what they are teaching and have their preferred way to teach it. I have felt comfortable asking professors questions and there are plenty of office hours available. For those students that would feel more comfortable talking to students or teachers assistants there engagment centers available in multiple dorms. The campus is beautiful and clean. The food is delicious and there is a variety available from burgers to fish to tacos and more. The buses are usually on schedule. There are plenty of clubs and extracurricular activities to participate in. This helps make new friends or just give people a place to relax. There is the connector app which keeps students aware of the activities going on.

Aubry

Overall, MSU is a great school to attend. There are plenty of parties or school activities to participate in throughout the entire school year. It's really easy to get into contact with your professor or TA or even someone to help you make decisions with academic or financial decisions. MSU makes sure you can succeed academically all while having the most enriching and exciting four years of your life.

Deja

I like Michigan state but the school is very difficult just because it is Michigan state and you are paying for the name. The dorms are nice and the bus system for on and off campus is great. I used to bus to take to campus from my apartment.

its amazing i heart it

Kayleigh

Michigan State University is a really great school for a wide range of students. The classes are academically challenging and encourage students to reach their full potential and at the same time, there is an active social scene for those students who are interested in those kinds of things. The campus is beautiful and there is a great school spirit and student body camaraderie. I would really recommend students to consider Michigan State as their school.

Kamryn

When is the last time that you sprawled out a box full of puzzle pieces on a table, anxious to complete the image and see the final product? Probably not too long ago, right? When is the last time that you were able to do this, with little to no frustration over which pieces fit together or where missing pieces may be? For me, since starting at Michigan State University in the Fall of 2016, I have been able to continuously piece together my personal puzzle, without any frustrations or uncertainty. Everything here at Michigan State flows together perfectly, and has done so since 1855. Some important pieces of my puzzle here at MSU are the academic facilities because they provide the materials for me to excel in my classes with flying colors. With a plethora of tutors, quiet study spaces, and functional technology, every class also becomes an easy fit in my puzzle. The most vibrant and fun pieces that I have added into my puzzle are the friendships that I have created within the 5,200 acre campus. MSU’s students are all kindred spirits with vivacious personalities ready to conquer endless experiences with you, whether it be a project in class, a made-with-love-meal in the dining hall, watching the sun rise over Spartan stadium, or going to that first club meeting with you. The friendships made here are pieces in my puzzle that present the brightest colors, and the most versatile edges. The anchor of the puzzle, that everything else is built around, is the four corners. Without these there would be no frame, and no guidance. Thankfully, Michigan State has the perfect corners for my personal puzzle. These key pieces for me have been the advisors that will boundlessly reach out to every student. Whether it is a scheduling crisis, question about the right path to a dream job, or just a chat to say hello, the advisors here will always welcome students with open arms. Michigan State University is a premier university that helps every student to perfectly piece together their puzzle, and create a promising future, without any lost pieces, or misguided trouble.

Matthew

Best school ever

Kelsey

Michigan State University made my first year of college one that I'll always flash back upon. I am a first generation college student, which means I had no one who had experienced the college lifestyle and could help me prepare myself for what was ahead. For first generation students or even freshmen who still had no idea what to look forward to, its like being thrown into a pool and having to teach yourself how to swim. You might get tired, but if you don't want to drown you continue to push because you know once you make it to the other side there's the best sense of pride that you've brought upon yourself. College has taught me how to be independent, confident in my work, humble, studious, and how to have effective time management. Even though I didn't have that preparation for college that could've been beneficial I would not change a thing. From the mistakes I've made to the long nights, because in the end I know that whatever it is I'M CAPABLE of making it on my own.

Kiryn

I really love Michigan State University. It may appear to be a huge campus, but it truly becomes a smaller community once you get used to it. I love how beautiful it is and East Lansing, MI all together. I've met a lot of cool professors and food services provide great food ! MSU is what you made it!

Mona

Michigan State University is a great school! Professors truly care about the overall success of their students. Campus is huge, but CATA makes it easily accessible to get to your classes, the school also has its own transportation services to get students around campus. There are tons of organizations and events for students to get involved in a safe environment. For example, the Union holds open mic night for students every Tuesday and Thursday nights! Needless to say, in addition to the education, MSU offers a great student experience. GO GREEN!!

Adriana

Whether your are black, white, Latino,Asian,Indian, there is always support for you. Here at Michigan State University the goals are achievable no matter where you come from. In efforts of academic success, personal advancement, and in building our cultural knowledge, unity on campus is one of the most eye opening features of my school. As if no matter what happens in our world with politics, they stand for each and every student. Without Michigan State University financially providing for thousands of students, we would not be able to make our world be better then what is has been. Each and every student is contributing to building a better future not only for our world but for the groups that they represent every time they awake and decide to be great. The amount of support groups, social clubs, and culture conversations that Michigan State University encourages their students to have, has become a glowing feature for the school and the programs that their alumni have decided to start from the impact of such an amazing school. When we mourn, loose or win, we do it together. Spartan way.

Shanniah

I like that that it's a big school with a large beautiful campus. The dining halls are pretty good and it's the right place to be if you're a college sports fan. I also enjoy the classes and we have some really good professors. There are also a lot of academic resources available to help you be successful.

Imani

I came to Michigan State my sophomore year as a transfer student from another large four-year university. This school can be overwhelming at first since it's so big and more than 50,00 people go here. But, after a while you get adjusted to this environment and it becomes easier. There are a lot of resources on campus, you just have to find them for yourself. People are semi-friendly, I would suggest making friends with people in your classes and joining and organization on campus. The food on campus is amazing, there are so many options of places to eat and stations to go to. My favorite dining hall is Akers because they have amazing breakfast and a lot of options during lunch and dinner. Housing on campus isn't the best, since all halls (except those in Brody) use well water, and most dorms don't have air conditioning. I live off campus and only have to take one bus to get to class, which is a plus. This school is a solid 7.5 out of 10, but that rating would probably be higher if I went here my freshman year.

Julian

I am happy with my choice and glad I came to Michigan State University. I had an awesome first year and looking forward to sophomore year as a Resident Assistant.