Michigan State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Michigan State University

Chardonnay

Michigan State University is a beautiful huge campus with various activities and student organizations to become involved in. I am a freshman at MSU and I am involved in several organizations such as their Step Program, the Trio Program, I volunteered for The Welcome Team and this is where you help incoming and returning students move into their dorms in August. There is a perk of moving in prior to everyone else. I also hold a college work study position on campus and I attend various seminars on campus. The class at MSU are great and can be challenging at times, however MSU have great professors that really do care about your performance. MSU helps you to build a network of people and have an enjoyable college experience. MSU is a diverse community with students form many different backgrounds who come together to form one of the most extraordinary and productive colleges and learning experience you could ever have. I absolutely love Michigan State University and don't want to go back home, because I consider MSU my home now. I live in a quad dorm and that's the only quad dorm on campus and I have no problems with my 3 roommates, we barely see each other due to our busy schedules. Michigan State is the place to be GO GREEN GO WHITE is our saying at Michigan State University. Make MSU Spartans your home.

Mark

First off, the campus is gorgeous. Whether in the fall, winter, or spring, you can always find nature's beauty on every part of campus. Next, the housing can be great to mediocre depending on where you are staying. Some dorms are nice and spacious with quality furnishings, while others are cramped and almost-falling-apart furniture. Finally, the academics are outstanding. There are plenty of opportunities with honors classes or the honors college if you prefer a challenge, while plenty of great professors and resources if you're just trying to slide by and get a degree. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with my experience at MSU.

Victoria

Michigan State has a beautiful campus which is one of the aspects that drew me to it in the the first place. In addition to its aesthetic charm, there are a ton of different courses that meet different degree requirements that are legitimately interesting and engaging, and there are loads of extracurriculars to get involved with! While people may complain about both living and eating on campus, I have few grievances myself; the food really isn't bad - just sometimes too salty, but they do offer a number of accommodations at every dining hall for those who are vegan, vegetarian, or have food allergies. That's not to mention they have a robust salad bar at most dining halls! As far as on campus living goes, people grovel, but there are lots of amenities, freebies, and the like that come with living on!

Shaun

I believe it is great, there are so many opportunities both academically and socially. I believe there is no reason one should not be able to succeed greatly at Michigan State. With all the possible research opportunities and sports anyone can thrive. Go green, Go White

Kaitlyn

MSU is like a much bigger version of high school, but where drinking is acceptable on a Tuesday night. I wouldn’t necessarily call MSU a party school because nearly every single party is shut down by the cops within 30 minutes of it starting, unless you are at a closed social for greek life. Regarding greek life, I did join a sorority, so I have the perks of having opportunities to party approximately 4/7 days a week, but what they didn’t say is how judged you are based on what sorority or fraternity you join. Frats/srats are based on the physical appearances of their members, and if you aren’t the hottest on the list, don’t expect to have a lot of socials. Also, if you are a male and trying to have a social life, you either have to join a frat or have a good friend in a frat because you WILL NOT be allowed into the party/tailgate. As for academics, there are plenty of intelligent individuals that attend MSU and definitely try their best to maintain a 4.0 GPA, but there are also those who pay others to write papers, attend class, and do projects for them. There are a good amount of students here who do not take their education seriously, but have found a way to work the system so that they are still actually students here. The professors here are out of this world and really will do anything to help you succeed, but do not expect as much from the TAs. Most of them cannot even explain the material in a language that you understand, so asking questions is not an option. Since the TAs are not the best, and professors aren’t always available, there are plenty of help rooms and tutors available for students during different times on different days. Another plus is that many of these help rooms/learning centers are located in many of the different dorming halls across campus, so you may not need to even leave your hall to get help with that one pesky webwork question. If you are interested in joining a club, MSU has them all; anywhere from squirrell watching to the Pre-Physician Association, from speaking Spanish to playing video games or creating beautiful pieces of art. There is really a club for anything you can think of, and I highly recommend joining one or seven of them. Yes, there usually is a point system and dues in order to maintain membership, but it is definitely worth it in the long run. They also have different types of sports clubs or intramural sports available for those who do not make the cut for this Big 10 university. The focus on sports here is definitely one thing that is a little too much in my opinion because people will get up at 7am to tailgate for a game, but can’t make it to their 8am classes. Also, it is obvious that they spend the most money on their sports teams, where they should be investing a bit more in the technology and academics here at MSU. Lastly, the dorming and dining hall situations. For me, having my own bathroom was a must have because getting up in the middle of the night and walking all the way down the hall to use the bathroom was not going to fly with me. Then again, plenty of people enjoy having the commons bathrooms because they do not have to clean it themselves, and trust me, those bathrooms are always clean. MSU offers plenty of different dorm styles and opportunities for everyone (LGBTQ, girls only, quad style, singles, by major/program, etc.), so there should never be a problem with dorming. Some people have a problem with the sizes of the dorms, but when you set your room up with a futon, mini fridge, TV, and decorate a bit, it truly does become homey. Having a caf in your hall is also a huge plus because no one likes to walk in the rain or snow to simply eat food. Unfortunately, I was one of the few dorms who does not have a dining hall connected, so I do have to walk, but that is also a plus because the freshman 15 will not hit me as quickly. The food here is actually delicious and they have every different type of food you can imagine. The dining halls/food trucks/sparty’s are found everywhere, so you can always find food no matter where you are, and at some halls they even have late night, so they are open until 12am, which is really nice when you get the munchies. Overall, I would give MSU ⅘ stars because this university has everything that an amazing university should have, except a handful of the students they accept, the TA situation, and their focus on sports/social life vs academics. Don’t allow the few negatives to blind you from the many, many positives though. You can truly find a home here at MSU, so I would highly recommend going green.

Amaya

Even though they have safety issues for the students who do go there, I still believe that Michigan State is a great college. I only visit Michigan state once but it was the best experience. The campus is huge and the apartments seem suitable for my needs .

Caroline

On the banks of the Red Cedar is a school known mainly for its excellent athletic presence as a national force in basketball, hockey, and football. However, few people know what it truly means to be a Spartan. It means having access to the best study abroad program in the country. It means attending a school with world-class faculty and an incredible focus on undergraduate research. It means going to the university with the best run student government in the nation. It means interaction with peers from across all backgrounds, hometowns, abilities, interests, and aspirations. Michigan State University is a place for students to grow both as a student and as a person. No matter what your interests and experiences, there is something here for everyone so that it becomes impossible to be alone, unchallenged, or stagnant if you put yourself out there and take advantage of the superb opportunities provided by this university.

Christian

Michigan State has treated me pretty well. Once you get used to large lecture halls, everything is fine. For people who end up commuting like I did, make sure you buy the lot permit, it saves a LOT of money. All of the professors I have are willing to help outside of class, and most of them willing to work outside office hours. MSU is a huge party campus, but if you're not a big party person like me you can still find things to get involved in.

Chardonnay

My overall opinion of Michigan State University so far is great. I'm currently a freshman and I just finished my first semester of college. Michigan State is a great school, the academics is good, and there is plenty of things to do on campus. For example, clubs and organizations, sports, Greek life. I've meet some great people. The professors here are focused on making you understand the material. They take the time to go over something you may not understand. You can go to their office hours, or talk to them during or after class. MSU is great for academics, social life, making connections, and discovering yourself.

Zachary

MSU is a great place to spend time as an undergrad. There is a very great mix of academic opportunity, extracurricular involvement, and the fun sports and social scene expected of a Big Ten school. Any problems with the university or academic problems are nothing unusual given the large size of the student body and generally the university is very responsive to student concerns.

Carina

Michigan State University is a great place to get your degree. If you want a farm/animal/food/environment related major this is the place to be. The campus is safe, there are various businesses nearby, and the extracurriculars are endless. Plus MSU has a beautiful campus.

Katrina

I think Michigan State University offers great community style living , as well as involvement. Everyone appeared to be friendly and offered a wealth of information. I think that I will enjoy being a student at MSU...Go Green...Go White! I would truly recommend this college to other incoming students.

Alyssa

I love Michigan State! I am a transfer student and I am so glad I came to MSU. I transferred from a small local college where I felt it was hard to meet people. Coming to MSU is the best decision I've made. I feel like I belong in this community and I have met so many wonderful people. No matter what you're into you will find people with the same interests.

It’s a mess right now but the school itself is really nice. I love the community of students. There is always something to do or somewhere to go. There are also places on campus that are much quieter, which makes it feel smaller than it is. You’ll never know what fun challenges are ahead, and that’s part of the charm.

Ikechukwu

I believe that Michigan State is a big business like any other academic institution. It appears as if they are financially pitted against us and will go to extreme lengths to obtain a dollar. For instance, when you observe how much they make off of parking services, tuition and housing, and other fees that are charged to students, the number is staggering. Considering how much we pay for tuition, the professors and teaching should be much better. It seems as if we pay great money to say that we go to a prestigious institution that will provide us opportunity. As far as the professors are involved, the time constraints that they face in class and the fact that many of them are there for research purposes, the education is mediocre. Couple that with the fact that the class sizes are enormous and as a result, students are discouraged from asking questions, then it can be concluded that the learning environment and learning is subpar relative to how much is being paid for an education.

Emma

I had high hopes when I first started at State, I really did. For the past 6 years I have lived internationally in Hiroshima, Japan and Shanghai, China and was so excited to study at a school with such a large international population. For me however, it was a tough transitoin back as I am from Michigan and am not a "true international kid." I was accepted into James Madison and was even more excited to be in a place of such open minded people, those who I could have educated and difficult conversations with. I had trouble adjusting to the patriotic views of so many of my classmates. They arent the "I'm proud to be an American" types, but more so, "here is my opinion let me shove it into your face until you feel the exact same way and if you dont then we are giong to have a problem." Their councilors do not help. I'd been struggling with how I was feeling and went to go talk to a lovely older woman, her name escapes me at the moment. All she could talk about was her grandchildren and at the end of out session she told me to just go home and get some sleep even though I went to her because I hadnt been able to sleep for abour 5 days and I always felt on edge. Their doctors at Olin aren't much help either. This may just be becuase I had a bad experience with them , but I truly wouldn't wish this on anyone else.

Cheyenne

I love Michigan State. It has been my dream school for as long as I can remember. The people are genuinely nice and everyone is here to learn and get a degree for their future. Throughout the 2 years that I have been here I have met lots of people that are willing to talk about their career and how they have or are planning to achieve their career. Michigan State is a very diverse campus which is very nice to see all of these other cultures come together and meet. The faculty is always there to help whenever you need them and they make sure they answer every question you may need. Michigan State is a school that I would recommend to everyone.

Kendall

They prepare you for the future. There is a beautiful student life along with amazing academics. There are professors ready to teach and student that are ready to learn. There are great things to do on and off campus. All around best college ever. GO GREEN! GO WHITE! # PROUD TO BE A SPARTAN!!!!!!!

Mark

If you're going into engineering, get ready to get ripped a new a**hole. You will not enjoy your weekends. You will suffer with the hope of enjoying the after life. You CAN join ONE club as long as it is in your field. The college experience is NOT available. The professors teach extremely well in the CSE department, but they are a**holes when it comes to grading. Remember: There is NO FORGIVENESS. If you miss a semi-colon in C++ and you submit your project, INSTANT 3-5% off of your final grade. Don't forget that when you're forced to enroll in a discrete math cse course taught by Professor Weng, you're fu*ked. He doesn't give a dam* about the class, and purposely tries to screw the class over. Does he care about what we learn? Not at all- he knows his class is bullsh*t. In fact, he rants about politics for half of his lectures. Sadly, he is a tenure so he cannot be fired by law, so if he retires by any chance, remember you were one of the lucky ones. In the ECE department, prepare to learn everything by yourself. The professors lack enthusiasm to the point that it makes me want to spit. What kind of doctors are they to teach a class with such lack of enthusiasm? Oh, the exams? Good f*cking luck. You BETTER put in 80 hours+ a week to complete this degree. They purposely make it too difficult for no apparent reason. I have a 3.5 GPA right now, and the program is brutal. I wish the Engineering College at Michigan State University cared more about the actual learning of a student rather than trying to make them fail. U of M engineering > MSU Engineering all day every day. What gives MSU the right to try to weed out students? They act like everyone is dying to get into their engineering program. To wrap things up for the engineering program: you will not be cared for, you will suffer, and once you graduate, you will make sure to never come back. Shoutout to Mark Mccullen for taking out the pain in his life out on his students. I hope karma bites you in the a|s|s for causing our GPA's to tank before graduating, scum. AT THE END OF THE DAY YOU LEARN A LOT THOUGH, THE METHODS ARE JUST UNNECESSARY. YOU WILL LEAVE MENTALLY TOUGH. Most bad things that happen in life don't phase me that much because I feel like i've gone through this and NOTHING was harder than engineering school. NOTE: According to ASMSU, the program will only become MORE difficult for weeder courses. Always remember: You Will Be Ripped a New One (grade/stress wise), it's just a matter of time. It will happen when you MOST expect it to happen. PARENTS AND HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS: Try to get into U of M first. If you're going to get ripped a new one, might as well get it ripped at somewhere more prestigious. I'm just telling you how it is in the engineering department as straight forward as possible. Learning isn't a priority, survival of the fittest is. It seems as though cheaters are glorified at this university. Though MSU might not say it on paper, the general culture/vibe is truly this way. I have NO IDEA where all of the money goes for this university. Instead of building new buildings to use for BULLSH*T, TRY REINVESTING IT IN STUDENTS AND EDUCATION SO THAT MORE MONEY CAN POUR IN. Why are our professors this terrible? Get some of that money and hire better ones, the students are suffering damnit. People think this university is "easy"... easy to get in, easy to get out if you catch my drift. The portrayal is deception. This University is NOT easy. Does the department really think that setting up the courses this way will cause the image of the university to be seen as more prestigious? WHAT MAKES A SCHOOL PRESTIGIOUS ISN'T THE DIFFICULTY BUT THE RESOURCES AND PROFESSORS THAT ARE PROVIDED TO THE STUDENTS- THE WAYS OF THINKING SHOULD BE CHANGED AND CHALLENGED. If it was about difficulty, I could sit home and read the course book. Positives: the people here are nice.. sort of.

Kelsey

I think Michigan State is a fun filled place to be. There are always endless possibilities and there is never a time you are bored. The students communicate and are there because they want to learn, not because they have to. A great environment to be apart of.

Kaitlyn

The moment you step onto Michigan State University's campus, you know you are somewhere special. This is a place where the Spartan Family is everything. They want you to be involved, go to games, have fun, and push yourself academically. It is safe to say that this campus is more than just a community, but family.

Michigan state is great school for animal science majors with all the opportunities and farms they have! Most professors want to help you and will take the time to during office hours or an appointment if you can’t make it. I think Michigan State is a very good college.

Nina

I love it! North campus is beautiful. I find that taking walks and biking to class de-stresses my senses due to the beauty and mixture of the nature and older buildings. I meet new people everyday, as one does given the sheer number of students, but I still feel like I have a community of friends, given that I live in a small, liberal arts college. The websites and grading systems are a little hard to follow, I do wish one could re-design the website so that everything is user-friendly and so everything can be accessed using one, main website (such as access to grades, looking up clubs, events, etc.) I also wish that grades were updates more frequently, however that issue lies mostly with certain professors.

Alina

I am a first year, and my overall opinion about this university is mediocre. There are a lot of opportunities to get involved on campus and there are people who seem to help you, but when you are actually trying to seek their help they won't come back to you. For example, at AOP they told us we can email our advisor with any questions and that they are willing to help us, students, anytime. Well, I have been trying to get in contact with my advisor since August, but she never responded to my emails! I had to come in and talk to a different advisor who barely knew me. Another thing, the professors are rude, at least the science ones are. I had to drop CEM 161 because the professor refused to place me in a different group since 2 of my other group members dropped the class! I was expected to do the work of 4 people with just 2 people, which is extremely difficult to put 2 minds to create an experiment in less than 1 hour and to plan for another experiment at the same time because we had a deadline to turn it in that exact same day. Their system is just not fair! My only wish for this university is to stop spreading lies about what they have to offer. They keep lying that there are people available to help in different situations such as tutors and help rooms or even counseling, but the truth is there are not enough people and they overlook this issue. We pay so much to study here, it is only fair to expect decent treatment and help.

David

A wonderful experience for my daughter. Lots of learning/growth opportunities outside of the classroom. There are some fantastic faculty and staff. There was a problem in the computer system when she applied for graduation. MSU Registrar Dr. Nicole Rovig and her staff responded quickly and worked with my daughter's advisor to clear up the issue so she could graduate on time. Great service!

Veronica

Michigan State is a wonderful college to attend. I was nervous about coming here, but I definitely made the right decision. The classes are large, but you just have to get used to it. Even if you need help outside of class, the professors are always willing to help.

Nate

Fantastic college that is very accepting and if you take advantage of the opportunities presented, anyone can succeed in their career. There are plenty of clubs and organizations to fit everyone's niches and interests. The campus is beautiful site to view and a great place to tour. I highly recommend this college to anyone considering attending.

Mona

It's a great school that provides every opportunity to help you strive academically and socially. Professors exceed expectations and really help students succeed by having consistent office hours as well as adjusting their schedule for students. MSU is composed of many places that give access to academic help and social events. Dorms are clean and organized and the dining halls provide a variety of high-quality food. Off-campus living is also pretty affordable, near campus and many restaurants/stores.

Emmanuel

There are a lot of good things about State. There are a lot of majors and classes to choose from, and many time/day options. There are organizations and clubs for any interest. The sports program is great. On the down side, it can be too big. Some classes are huge, and it takes 45 minutes to walk across campus.

Kendra

I believe Michigan State is a good school with a lot of opportunities. It has good academics, reasonable class sizes and the professors are easily accessible. The atmosphere of the college is sports centered, as sports are a big deal on campus. there are also many other activities and clubs that you can get involved in on campus.

Christopher

It is a very good university,full of friendly faces,active life and great academics.The tour guides were friendly and energetic in introducing the overall atmosphere of the college. The facilities were clean and state of the art for the accessible for the students and visitors alike

Kristen

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL

Maddy

It is a decent school. It was not my first choice but I ended up coming here out of convenience and price and I have grown to like it. It is a huge campus with thousands of people and very large class sizes, which was initially very overwhelming. Along with being very big, there isn't much to do in the East Lansing area. Sports are huge here and there is a very prominent party culture.

Xavier

Overall I think Michigan State University is a very good college with lots of opportunities to better yourself and the people around you. They also provide lots of resources that can be used to help you succeed in anyway needed. They also have lots of co-ops and internships available all over campus and off.

Logan

I love it here. I'm from a small town where it is a huge deal to go to a college for more than 10,000 students and I absolutely love the diversity, size, and opportunities found at MSU. Wonderful school, stole my heart (and my money) but I would definitely recommend it to anyone I know.

Autumn

I visited MSU on tours and for research opportunities, and the academics are pretty great. I also stayed in the dorms during multiple MYLead conferences and the Girls State conference. The cafeteria food and housing are very good, but not as good as other colleges like the University of Michigan.

Kylie

I love it! The Campus at Michigan State is so nice and the atmosphere makes me feel at home! They have great sports teams and a diverse amount of majors as well. The marching band is my favorite part of MSU and I would love to be a part of it one day.

Genna

I truly love MSU and feel like I could not have found a better school that fits me. There is something for everyone here. Some people party, some people like to hangout and focus on their studies. There are always resources available no matter the time of day and no matter the situation.

Jacob

With a beautiful, sprawling campus, Michigan State University is a campus filled with things to do at every turn. There is, of course, plenty of space for students to meet with other students for group projects as well as secluded spaces for individual study. All in all a perfect campus for your average college student.

Elisse

This school is my dream school and I love it even more now I'm here and I will never have anything bad so say about it ever. East Lansing is home to one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. There are so many people from many different walks of life who attend this university or who are staffed here. Michigan State University is known widely for diversity.

Carla

I love it! There are always opportunities on this campus. Many organizations are available and the resources provided are excellent! I built so many connections just my freshmen year. This university has a lot to offer. Your potential is enhanced and you are given the opportunity for success.

Andrea

Michigan State University is a magnificent place to be. If I could go to college forever, I would. And I would stay right here. MSU has a campus you never tire of. The landscapes and architecture don't get old. There are four distinct seasons, which you can't find everywhere. Everyone is friendly, even strangers. There's just a closeness, a camaraderie between Spartans that you won't find anywhere else. No matter where in the world you are Spartans stick together. You could be on a plane to Australia and yell "Go Green!" and half a dozen other people would respond with a resounding "GO WHITE!" Go to Michigan State. Those people are the people of the future. Because Spartans Will.

Michigan State University is the best college around. The atmosphere at MSU is unrivaled. There are so many different people who are all very concerned with their education and it makes it a good environment for learning. The campus is beautiful and game day at MSU are the best days of the year.

Nathaniel

Michigan State is the perfect place to be. The campus is large enough to feel like you're in the center of a bustling city while but you're always surrounded by nature. Michigan State is very diverse. You meet so many people with different racial and ethnic backgrounds and it's nice getting to meet so many different people.

Katlyn

I believe it to be a great school, that offers lots of opportunity. While it is know to be a party school, it also has a rich academic society. The school recognizes that it is located in the heart of Lansing, and does it's best to protect its students, by preparing them for situations.

Francine

It is a good school, but very expensive. The culture is ok, but many people hide what they feel until some figure brings it to light then they are ready to talk. It is also a clique school in that people pair off into what makes them comfortable. The campus is beautiful though.

Walter

Michigan State University and truly an incredible school. One thing that was important to me in my search for colleges was the opportunities that would be presented to me while I attended it. At MSU, I have had the privilege to build a diverse friend group from across the globe, our goals are similar in size in that we are all striving to be the very best in our fields. MSU has given me the opportunity to develop as more than a student, but as a professional that will succeed as an adult. I will forever be a Spartan, Go Green.

Corbin

Michigan state is a large university that tries desperately to make money off of everything that you do from buying books to parking. It's a great university if you are trying to be social, join Greek life or party every weekend. Academics here at Michigan state include large class sizes with often under skilled professors

Lukas

This is the best college I could have asked for. The on-campus housing is awesome, the dining hall food is amazing, but if you want the off -campus food that is also a great option. If you don't like to move around than this college is not for you because it is like a city, it's massive. In terms of the classes when you first arrive they will be big, but as you go deeper into your major they will get a lot smaller.

Devin

The James Madison College at Michigan State University has been a wonderful educational experience for me. Professors that truly care about your growth as an individual, students that will push you towards your full potential, and coursework spanning from Plato to Hume, from Aquinas to Marx.