Michigan Technological University Top Questions

There are two types of people that should not attend Michigan Tech. The first type is someone who is not willing to work hard. Michigan Tech is not an easy school. They put you in difficult classes your first semester. You have to be willing to put a lot of time and effort into your school work in order to succeed here. There are a lot of resources at Tech that will help you succeed but you have to be the one to look for them. The second type of person that should not attend MTU is someone who does not like to leave their room. Michigan Tech has over 300 student organizations. There is a lot of stuff to do. There are free events you can attend nearly every day and the friendliest people you will ever meet that are willing to go to the events with you. All you have to do is walk down your hallway and look for an open door and you will find someone to talk to. Michigan Tech students are very friendly and easy to talk to. If you don't like spending time doing fun things with great people, Tech may not be for you.

Maggie

Some one who doesn't like outdoor activities, hate the winter, and does't like to challenge themselves academically.

Outdoorsy, fun, smart, nerd

The type of person should be self motivated with a passion for learning. There are amazing opportunities for co-ops and internships. The engineering clubs are outstanding. It also helps if you like winter.

JosephHelppi

One who doesn't like math or science or snow

One who can't studdy well, doesn't like math/science, doesn't like the outdoors, doesn't like the snow/cold, likes large cities

Jake

Anyone that wants to just fly by, you have to actually work.

A person who does not want to work very hard for a drgree. Or someone who does not like cold weather.

Devan

Someone who likes the big city and anyone who doesn't like winter should not attend.

Anyone who doesn't like cold should avoid this school, winter is October through April, sometimes into May. There is a lot of drinking, especially off campus and among upperclassmen, so if you're against that your social life might be limited. Sororities and fraternities exist, but they aren't a major part of campus life for most people, meaning someone who really wants to get into the right sorority or fraternity and be envied for it wouldn't be fulfilled here.

A person who wants a very social campus and who is into a party scene. Also someone who is lazy or not outgoing.

Reuben

Anyone who is lazy, apathetic, doesn't like gratuitous amounts of snow (we are the snow capitol of the world, over 400 inches of snow a year) and anyone who doesn't like the idea of not seeing the sun through the haze of gray clouds for 6 weeks minimum should NOT attend this school. Houghton is in the middle of nowhere, quite literally. This is NOT Houghton Lake, REALIZE THIS.

Someone who can't focus on coursework. Someone who can't handle the cold. In particular, someone who wants a well rounded liberal arts education (we don't have that here).

paul

People should not attend Michigan Tech. if they prefere a larger class environment. Michigan Tech is a very accomidating place for people who are more prone to spending lots of time outdoors, lots of time indoors, and people who enjoy both. Michigan Tech really is the sort of university that anyone could fit in at and feel welcome.

Everyone