Michigan Technological University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Michigan Technological University

Alyssa

There is a big community atmosphere at MTU, and even through the COVID-19 pandemic there are many virtual things to keep students occupied and connected. The classes--especially engineering fundamentals (I am a first-year student)--are well taught and leave me wanting to learn more. The band program could be better, but I'm just grateful it exists in a solely engineering-focused school.

Justin

A great university for academics and outdoor adventures. Leave the city downstate and enjoy the upper peninsula. A great school for engineering, one of the top in the nation. A nice small town with lots of history and character. Housing could be better but does not degrade the experience

Grace

SYP AWESOME

Naomi

Michigan Tech is not a school for the weak, be it in an intellectual regard or your capacity to out-drink your (of-age) friends on the weekend before finals, but if there's one thing that crazy professors, apocalypse-level winters, and Broomball has taught us, it's how to work together to survive. Tech as a whole cultivates an environment of collaborative study, promotes a supportive and inclusive culture, and has fun down to a trade-marked science. I have never had so much fun figuring just how much I don't know, and I know that I have an extensive support group should I ever find myself in need of anything. Sure, the food leaves you longing for grandma's pot-roast, the sun is more rare than the girls, and it's a never-ending game of Whose Major Is More Difficult, but I have never once regretted my decision to be a member of this Crazy Smart family.

Jo

Good community vibe. Many people get along. Little to no peer pressure. Lots of fun activities to get involved in with other students. Studying is a breeze with tutors, facilities open until the wee hours of the morning, and many people willing to go to study halls with you. The local community is very barren when winter rolls around. Everything is cold and a challenge to walk to. Even the local gym. There is a lot of snow. The parking is terrible. Parking passes are expensive and parking for off-campus residences is remote. The lack of parking spaces at this school is atrocious and I'm surprised no one has caught frost-bite from walking to their cars parked in such remote places. The food is terrible. They always cut corners on what they could be feeding you. The variety starts out nice but gets old after a while. If you are vegetarian, vegan, have celiacs disease, or any common food allergy watch out, because the school has hardly any selection for you. You cannot maintain a vegan or vegetarian diet because the school-supplied food is nothing but starches, cheeses, and boring salads. There is a very poor selection of fresh fruit. Be prepared to cook for yourself if you have dietary needs. However, the kitchenettes in the dorms are very nice and, as far as Wadsworth Hall is concerned, used infrequently. Not only this but the dorms are kept warm and toasty year round. None of the buildings have air-conditioning. Be prepared for that. But the summers in the UP are very mild so it's not terrible. Even though it's chilly outside, no one ever is inside. And because we're crammed together so often indoors, you make friends fast, even if you don't think yourself capable of making friends. Finally, there are many clubs and group activities to get yourself involved in. I recommend living on campus first year if you want to get the full college experience. It's a lot of fun. Especially if your RA is nice.

Really a great place! It is an extremely difficult school though - not to get into, but to stay in. It requires a lot of hard work and not being afraid to ask for help. Plus, it is really far away from places. The community is close-knit and wonderful, and there are so many ways to get involved. I can't imagine going anywhere else for my engineering degree!

Tristan

It's a good school. It's a STEM centered school, which is nice in my opinion since it's easy to find research opportunities. The facilities are nice and they are updated and taken care of, my parent's are alumni so I know that for sure. It's a small school, but it's works out since everyone is a good person and we get to know each other well. There really isn't a lot of faults that I can find with the school except that the library has more computers than books.

Mickala

I love Michigan Tech. It is placed in a beautiful location that is 45 minutes away from Copper Harbor. From beach bonfires to hockey games to exploring the waterfalls. Michigan Tech is nothing short of an adventure. Besides about 300 inches of snow in the winter being a difficult task, the college courses that you will take here are difficult. But you will learn a lot while you are here, and that is why Michigan Tech is a household name in many engineering firms. MTU does not need advertisements, students that graduate from this school is held to a certain level. This is the place any engineering student that is serious about learning indepth about their future career should go. Go Huskies!

Sully

Michigan Tech is out in the 'middle of nowhere', as most people call it. People are here from all over, most from Michigan's lower peninsula or a state in the midwest, but we also have students from throughout the US and even different countries. There is much more diversity than one would have first expected (It is not all white males, there's quite a bit of diversity in race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, etc.) Most of the people I've come across are generally quite friendly and accepting. In addition to the great academic programs, there are plenty of ways to get involved with different clubs/societies/greek life/intermurals, etc. If you've always felt out of place in high school because you were considered a nerd/geek or found intellectual conversations interesting, chances are you'll find yourself right at home, because most people here have been in exactly the same situation. There's groups for almost anything and everything you could be interested in, but the school isn't so large that it's overwhelming. I think choosing MTU is one of the best choices I've made.

Veroncia

Overall, I think Michigan Tech is a great place to be. All the professors are extremely approachable and they care about how you're doing. I've met some amazing people and I love how we're all a bunch of nerds up here in the U.P. The campus is right on the river and absolutely gorgeous, especially in the fall when the leaves turn. Some advice for anyone thinking of attending: GET INVOLVED. You'll love it up here, but you'll love it even more if you get involved in on-campus groups like the Film Board or Greek Life.

Erican

Michigan Technological University may appear to be off the face of the Earth, but going to the "isolated" campus in the Keewenaw Peninsula is worth it. Michigan Tech isn't as big as Michigan State University or the University of Michigan, but it is still large enough to present a friendly and engaging campus to students and professors alike. At the same time, it is also small enough to feel like a small town of its own, and not a city like U of M. The student population and faculty are always engaging in a variety of extracurricular activities, clubs, student government positions, sports, and research alike, as Michigan Tech always as opportunities available for the entire campus to partake and enjoy. With the biennial Career Fair that takes place directly on campus, Michigan Technological University also provides a vast variety of companies that students can approach for an internship or post-graduate job. With all the resources and academic programs provided, attending Michigan Technological University is both highly recommended and worth every penny.

Morgan

It's hard, but it's fun. There are an unlimited amount of clubs, (not really, but it feels like it.) You have to be crazy and smart to be there, and maybe crazy smart. Everyone is friendly and pushes you to do your best, even if they drink or do drugs. When I applied, I knew this was my dream school, and it has not failed to deliver.

Reagan

Since the moment I set foot on campus, the summer before my junior year of high school, Tech has felt like a home away from home. As a Michigan native, I welcome the extreme weather and variety of activities available throughout the academic year. The material we study is oftentimes considered difficult, and can be a make-or-break factor for prospective students, but I've found that the surrounding environment fosters vitality and growth which easily overcomes challenging academics. Tech is certainly not for everyone, but if you're able to own it and cultivate what the university offers you, you'll likely be better off than other, not so 'Crazy Smart' students.

David

It's a great place with good academics and plenty of outdoor activities to explore. Heck, it even has a ski hill on campus! We have a golf course and a shooting range, so whatever hobbies you're into, we've got it. I'm personally on the ultimate frisbee team, which is a lot of fun.

Cally

I absolutely love it here! The academics can be tough but it's worth it. Students work hard but also save time for weekend fun. There are plenty of clubs and organizations to join as well as Greek life and athletics. There's truly something for everyone. If you can't find what you like, it's very easy for students to create their ow club. Michigan Tech is a great engineering school. I would recommend this to anyone that's interested in math and science, can brave the snow (we get A LOT), or enjoys a small, active community!

Kallen

Michigan Technological University is a phenomenal school that really exceeds my expectations, especially for being in such a remote location. I feel at home here, and the learning resources are abundant and excellent. Faculty frequently encourage good study habits, and are nearly always available to help when things get tough.

Avery

Michigan Technological University is a great place. I am definitely glad I came here over schools like University on Michigan and Michigan State. Here academics is definitely the most important thing. But there is also tons of other things to get involved in and had fun.

Lacey

Michigan Tech is a very prominent STEM school. It takes that very seriously and provides the utmost education possible. It is very outdoorsy and boasts nationally ranked mountain bike trails, multiple ski areas, and many hikes. It is normal to see someone drinking, camping, or doing both during the weekends.

Ethan

My experience at Michigan Technological University has been mostly positive. The strong academic culture and the opportunities for career growth are some of the largest positives of this school. However, the cold winters are often difficult to deal with for residents of the more distant dorms such as McNair, and the social culture is lacking in some areas.

Haille

Michigan Tech is very hard academically, but very rewarding in the future. The job placement rate is unbelievably high, and the professors know what they're teaching inside and out. I wouldn't trade my school for any other, and the community is one that you can't find anywhere else in the world!

Zach

Michigan Technological University is the best engineering school in the state. If you love snow and want to be around an entire community of engineers then Tech is for you. The community is amazing. Also, there is always something to do in the area. In both the summer and winter months there is something to do, from exploring the Keweenaw to broomball!

Ev

Located in the middle of nowhere. Never sunny. It's usually raining or snowing. Snow is off the ground for 4 months a year; depressing. If you want to be a mountain man (hugh glass type) come here, but otherwise, don't. There are no girls. There are no bars or clubs in town to meet girls. The average school club has 8 people in it, and the school is so small that many locals have to join the school clubs to keep them going. The professors are good, and a tiny ski resort is only a few miles away. Other than that, there is not much going on. If you come here, your social life will probably put on hold for a few years. It gets very depressing.

Karen

A great college in a great location. The size is nice, not too big or small. Could definitely improve on increasing resources for women and environmental sustainability, but there has been some progress. If you love the outdoors, you will love Michigan Tech.

Abby

I overall love the school and the overall culture. I feel very welcome on campus. The classes are challenging but also very manageable, even when one is taking 17 credits and participating in extra curricular activities. I feel very at home on campus and all the faculty are very helpful and willing to aid with any issue or question brought to them.

Johnny

All the students here are huge nerds and gamers. They are also extremely unfriendly and antisocial, don’t expect to make any friends. Normal people are hard to come by. Classes are ungodly hard, which leaves 0 free time to explore the area. There are 2 things every Tech student has in common, we are all crazy book smart and we all drink. Party’s never get busted. MIP’s are not handed out on campus. You can get pulled over going 25 over and get off with a verbal warning. Cops here don’t care at all, neither does the university or RA’s. Alcohol is allowed in the dorms. There are no girls. The 3-1 ratio is a lie, it’s more like 20-1. Perfect for smart, alcoholic, gay gamers and if you’re not that you will be by the time you graduate.

Madison

Michigan Tech has such a unique atmosphere - there's such an amazing sense of belonging and familiarity among students and faculty alike. While it might be far away from home, and a little expensive, it's so completely worth every second and penny spent there. I cannot describe enough how amazing I feel this school truly is.

I would not want to attend school anywhere other than Michigan Technological University. The focus is on students; specifically, preparing students for the real world. It is very focused on engineering, but makes sure its students are well-rounded.

Noah

The school is fantastic in its own light. However, it can be a bit behind at times. The school is fairly slow to cultural and social change. Though, scientific advances and changes occur quite often. The campus is very close knit, and the people there are very accepting to all kinds.

Katherine

The campus is gorgeous. I am planning on attending spring 2020, and I have never been more excited about a big leap in my life. I feel safe and at home up north. The staff is incredible and make me feel comfortable. I live downstate Michigan, and Michigan Tech is a solid ten hours away. The drive is beautiful and I will not regret my decision.

Kaitlyn

You really have to enjoy the outdoors and small towns to vibe with Tech. There are many different recreational activities in the area and many beautiful views to be seen. Some of the academics can get difficult, but there are plenty of learning centers that help students move along.

Kristin

Michigan Tech is a great place to give it your all! It is located far away from anybody, but this inadvertently makes it so that the people who are there, really WANT to be there. The courses are quite challenging, but it is not a bad thing, they are just giving you a lot to learn. Also, the campus is saturated with support to get anybody through. They strategically place freshman in many of the same classes, and along with the requirement to live on campus your first year, you can literally sit in the commons area of the dormitories to work on homework and ask for help out loud. I did this several times, and always got a response, along with a new friend. Besides the peers, every professor I had offered several available office hours, and were very helpful during those times. There are also specific learning centers you can visit for any class you are having problems with. I always thought learning centers were just for upperclassmen to put a badge on their resume, but the centers there helped me much more than I thought possible. If you have the drive to learn and succeed, every opportunity is available to you to make it! Besides academics, there are so many events and clubs to participate in that every day is an adventure. From taking trucks through trails, learning to snowshoe, camping under a nearby waterfall, to playing Dungeons & Dragons in the dorm halls, there really is something for everyone. The whole school also congregates to the Hockey games. They are quite an enjoyable, energy-packed, major event for Friday and Saturday nights, no matter how shy you are, you will be standing and cheering for that goal. With your eyes set on the end goal, finding your career, it is not a joke that employers really do know to expect greatness and ambition from an MTU graduate. The career fair is huge, because so many major companies want to make the trek to pick up Huskies. The question asked among fellow students was not, "do you have a job when you graduate?" it was, "WHERE did you get a job?" Overall, Michigan Tech is a great environment to be in to pursue your education goals. The culture is encouraging, and you will feel like you can accomplish anything. I picked this college over University of Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and MIT, and the price is way better as well.

Brady

I was enrolled in the online Master's of Science in Electrical Engineering program in Spring of 2019. It seems like MTU has a good concept of what they want their education system to be like but fell very short. At first, the classes seemed engaging and interactive and the coursework made sense. Then at about week 5 we were given essays to hand in, in addition to the computational assignments for the week. Now, I am not one to stray away from work but this was touted as a program for working professionals. It was not. It wasn't only the essays, though, it was the lack of time given for quizzes and tests as well as the "procedures" for turning in handwritten work. Being able to complete quizzes or tests quickly is NOT A SIGN OF COMPREHENSION OR LEARNING. Also, I was spending countless hours on assignments from week to week only to be graded less than appropriately by an instructor who seemingly wanted me to struggle to keep a decent grade. I work about 45-50 hours a week and was spending near 35 hours doing homework and going through rambling and often redundant lectures. I talked to my academic advisor and she did not reach out to the professor nor did she help facilitate any discussion with said professor. I have no suspicion that Dr. Oliveira has the credentials to be a university professor. What I am suspicious about is how they expect working professionals to even come close to a decent GPA with the amount of coursework. I will not be returning to MTU in the future.

Savannah

Michigan Technological University is a college like no other. When I say that, I'm not boasting about how my university is better than any other. I'm saying that it takes true character, tenacity, and dedication to come to a school like Tech. It takes a certain type of person to move to a school on the peninsula of a peninsula and endure the brutal, seven month winter that we have here. Yet, Tech provides an insane amount of extracurricular activities (over 220), including, but not limited to, dogsledding club, bigfoot finding club, logrolling, a variety of intramural sports, etc. Michigan Tech is a wonderful place for students to grow academically, but also learn more about themselves.

Gwyneth

I love it. MTU is like a second home to me. Sure, it's in the middle of absolute nowhere, but the community is amazing and everyone has their little niche. I'm going to cry when I graduate -- I don't want to leave! The history and culture of the Keweenaw Peninsula is fascinating and the sights are even better!

Jackson

I am currentley accepted into Michigan Techonolgical Univeretity as a member of the freshman class of 2019 and the graduating class of 2023. Growing up in northern Michigan I have always known about this school, most of my close friends and even my parrents have told me that its not just a great michigan but a great international school. Not only have I grown up knowing the school but I have also grown up loving its community, I’ve been there about three times and my parrents friends have been there and are alumni’s. Many of my interests have also been majors of speciality for the school such as engineering and design. I have also gotten to know a few students there and they all seem like great people. One of which was a coworker of mine, an alumni of the chemistry department. He was extremely nice and seemed to be very wise and knowing of what he was speaking. He also found a job in his degree within 3 months of graduating. In short I am very excited to be attending there in the fall.

Kiira

I love the Michigan Tech atmosphere and the fun yet unique extracurricular activities here such as broom ball and the mushing club. The college is centered in mother of nature’s haven so it’s hiking, mountain biking, and waterfall hunting are lots of fun in the summer and spring. The campus is small but pretty and the students band together like no other college I’ve seen. It’s also good to note it’s a very safe school despite the difference in gender ratio.

Ellie

I love it here. The area is beautiful and there are so many fun things to explore and do. The classes are a good size and all of my professors so far have been great. The classes are challenging but Michigan Tech has an excellent job placement percentage so you truly get what you pay for. The housing could be better bu the food is great. Tech is far from just about everywhere so it is a little sad for people to be so far away from home but most people here are going through the same thing so you are never alone. I love Michigan Tech and I am so happy that I made the decision to come here.

Scott

I think Michigan Technological University is a very prestigious school in Michigan and I would say more difficult than UofM Ann Arbor. I wish they did offer Aerospace engineering as a major and invited more aerospace companies to the career fair because that is what I want to go into. However, they offer it as a minor so I am fine with that. Overall, the campus is nice and the city of Houghton is very welcoming and offers many study spots.