Midland University Top Questions

Gabby

I don't have many regrets in life at all. Stuff happens and you learn from it. Given the opportunity, I would tell my highschool self not to sweat the thought of college. It seems super stressful when applying, but things will work out jsut how they are supposed to be. I'd also tell myself that all those little things I stressed about back in highschool, mean nothing now in college. I would also tell myself to create better studying habits because they will definatley come in handy for those college exams. College is a whole new world, but if you freak out about it, it won't be an enjoyable new world. So dear high school self, sit back and take a deap breath, because high school might seem like your whole life right now, but before you know it, college will take you places you never even imagined. You'll surprise yourself.

Courtney

Most of my high school career went by with relative ease. I always had a hard coarse load, with many special placement classes, but I never had any trouble staying on top of my work. I worked hard and did well, so I received Cum Laude with High Distinction when I graduated. This led me to feeling invincible; I thought I could handle anything college threw at me. I could not have been more wrong. When I started college I heaped far too much onto my plate. I was in orchestra, three college clubs, Tri Phi sorority, working part time, taking part in the works study program, and taking eighteen credit hours on top of that. It became very hard for me to stay on top of all of my duties, which led to me becoming very stressed. I eventually had to learn to relax and realize I am just one person. If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would remind myself I am only human. I would tell myself to slow down and enjoy the little things in life instead of being so caught up in what task I have to do next.

Marcus

Hi Marcus, it is your little older self back from his freshman year in college. College is a great time, you will make so many new friends, and life long memories. however, it is not all fun and games all the time. College is a lot of work, you have to make a lot of tough life changing decisions. You are as close as you can get to be an adult now without actually being one. One thing that I did my senior year in highschool was rush through it. All I wanted to do was get to college, and be on my own. I advise you to slow down a little bit, it is the last year you have of being a "kid". Enjoy the times that you have, make the most of every thing, be yourself; do not worry about what other people thingk of you. It is your life not theirs! Most importantly love and treat your family right. You realize after graduation that people and times come and go but your family is there for you no matter what.

Madie

At the beginning of your senior year fill out as many scholarships as you can! You can use all the money you can get. Never give up it will help in the long run.

Meagan

When I was a high school student studying was not put into my schedule as much as it is now that I'm a college student. I can't take a test and just go off what I know because the classes I'm involved in now are much harder then what I had taken in high school. Not saying that I took all easy classes as a highschool student but saying I always thought I didn't have to study because I could get by with a 80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} on a tests. Then it was okay to have a few B's and some A's with the dance team I was on but now that I'm a collegiate dance team the coach seems to care a lot more about my acedemics. She ckecks our grades regualrly to be sure that we are staying on top of our classes. Knowing what my grades have to do with my future I care a lot more about how I do. In high school grades were important to me but not nearly as important to me now. I would tell myself to focus on school and being successful.

Younger Emily, I want to share with you a piece of advice that you should take to heart as you prepare for college. You have always been strong in your beliefs, whether they are about your faith, your morals, or your priorities. When you enter an entirely fresh scene with new faces and new opportunities, use the time to rejuvenate worthy beliefs. Allow yourself a chance to grow, yet hold firm to the foundation that has brought you thus far. You will be challenged in every area, but trusting yourself is the true challenge. Take humble pride in doing what is good, but be slow to judge those who appear to do the bad. You have spent eighteen years with the same pool of people. Going to college, you will know little or nothing about these strangers you will soon call professor, neighbor, or best friend. Remind yourself that not only are they strangers to you, but also you are a stranger to them. Showing a simple smile or sharing a quick conversation can lead to the brighter side of the intimidating and dark unknown.

Alicia

I would tell myself to not take the simplicity of high school for granted. I would explain to myself that while college is fun and full of new opportunities, it also comes at a cost. Your parents aren't going to be able to hold your hand throughout the whole college process. You'll have to learn how to stand up for yourself, ask your own questions, and live your own life. I would try to prepare my younger self for the financial burden that is college warning myself that most of the money going towards my education would be my own. I would encourage myself to start saving my money instead of throwing it around whenever a bright yellow "sale" sign showed in a window. Above all however, I would tell myself of all the wonderful people I would meet in college. I would brag about friendships I've made and all the staff and faculty members that have helped me throughout this time in my life. I would make sure that even though my younger self might fear the unknown of the future, she would know that she will be cared for nonetheless.

Don't worry, everything is going to be okay. Going to a community college doesn't mean that you're dumber than other people. You'll save a ton of money and it's just as good as a 4-year school. You'll make tons of friends there and the classes will be interesting and fun but challenging at the same time. Don't slack off too much but don't overwhelm yourself. It's okay to be undecided about your major because you'll have plenty of time to discover yourself and decide what you want to to with your life. That's why it's important to take a wide variety of classes. You'll learn so much about other people and other places. You might even find a new passion. Take advantage of everything your college has to offer and don't be afraid to ask questions. Try to get involved with clubs and programs. Don't be shy and don't be afraid. Break out of your comfort zone. You're an adult now and this is the time for you to shape your future and make it whatever you want.

Cicely

Mostly everyone wonders what it would be like if they could go back in time and give their younger self advice. In my experience, I have received a great deal of advice that I did not listen to. If i had the chance to go back in time and give myself the same advice others have given me, I might actually listen. The number one thing I would tell myself to focus more on my school rather than what I am going to the upcoming weekend with my friends. I know that I am smart enough that I could of gotten into the school I wanted to, The University of South Carolina, right after high school if I had just focused more on my schoolwork. Instead I was out with my friends doing who knows what, not even thinking of school. When the summer after senior year ended, most of those friends went off to college and I stayed behind to go to the community college. I was the "loser" of the group. I learned a valuable lesson though, the embarrassing hard way, but I recovered from it and am doing much better in school now.

Tara Lynne

The first thing I would tell myself is to make sure to turn everything in on time or even early. College professors are not nearly as forgiving with their due dates. I have gotten caught with this once or twice during college. Why? Because I had a bad habbit of doing that every now and again in high school. Another thing I would tell myself is to not hold back. Instead of auditioning for smaller parts in the musical, try for the lead! Get experience in auditioning, because as a Music Major you have a lot of things you need to audition for...and I wish I had more experience.

Cyril

Become strong. Don't fear what you will be or not be, and especially what others think of you. Concern yourself with what you are doing now, and do it well. If you do not learn what you need to know now, the futrue will be hard for you. You are young. Use the strength of your youth to learn wisdom and discipline. Be a strong sailor, and don't quit. Don't quit when things get hard, and again, don't fear. Fear is useless, so don't use it. You are stronger than you think. Women are beautiful, but beauty will never satisfy you. There is always someone more beautiful. Don't rob a women of her life with a unwanted child. An amazing woman is in your future, and yes she is very pretty. Children are enslaved to sex in your age, and it is only going to get worse. It's ok not to have sex yet. You must be strong for your community and your world. You are angry and rightfully so. If you hold on to it, it is going to cost you many years. Let it go, it's not worth the price.

Brett

My advice to myself as a high school senior would be take advantage of every opportunity that you can find. Every experience you have in college provides you with a chance to learn something. Take as full advantage of those opportunities as you can, and look for the learning moment in every experience you have. Take a few chances, get involved, try something new. Ask a lot of questions; you can learn so much from just asking questions. Go to class every time, and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Your parents have worked very hard and sacrificed a lot for you to have this opportunity. Please try your hardest so their hard work and sacrifice dont' go for nothing. Smile and have a postive attitude. Make friends with positive people who are successful and have a good outlook on life. Give back to your school, they have invested a lot in you. If there is something about your school or campus that bothers you don't complain; find a way to change it. Don't just get a degree, get an education. Make your four years of college count; leave an impact.

Carly

If I could give myself any advice, I would just tell myself to relax and trust my instincts. I knew that Midland was right for me pretty early in my High School career, but I continued to question because of price. Now, I know that no matter what, my comfort level at Midland is next to none, and the opportunites that come with it are also next to none. Ultimately, I was very anxious about the transition to college, and as I know now, I took all the necessary steps toward succes in high school. I was very prepared, and I would just take the time to appreciate my hard work more, because I now know how important it was, and how far it has brought me today!

Silas

To students and parents searching for the perfect fit in college, I would say make it a place where you feel at home. After 18 years of living in the same place, you are forced to change everything in college If you make this change too drastic of one, problems can, and probably will, arise. Talk to some of the faculty and see if you can relate to them. If you have the best scientist in his field for a teacher but you can't relate to him, you're better off somewhere else. As far as making the most of the college experience, use your common sense. Getting involved is the best way to meet people, and any college will have clubs, intramurals, and lots of other things for you to get into. In my honest opinion, partying is 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} part of the college experience. However, this does not mean to party every night. And when you do occassionally party, don't feel compelled to drink the most, if even at all! I'm very certain that your best memories will happen without alcohol. Finally, I'll give you the best advice I've ever received, "Go to class!"

Andrew

When looking for the right school focus on your child. Do not look for the school you as a parent would want to attend. Social life is very important. Pick a school with lots of extracurricular activities, a good social scene, and a strong first year student program. The transition is very hard for some kids and it is very important that they have to resources to get through the first year.

Dana

My greatest advice to parents and students about selecting the right college is to follow your gut instinct. Visit as many colleges as possible, and when you find the right one you will know it. It's ok if you don't have a major in mind. Many students go into the college experience with no idea of what they want to do. After starting school and interacting with other people it becomes easier to make a decision. One thing that I think every incoming student needs to know is that you make the most friends in the first few weeks of school. Keep your doors open and be social! So many opportunities are available in college. Make a list of the things you would like to be a part of (clubs, sports, etc...) and then fulfill those goals. These years are some of the best that you'll ever have. Work hard and enjoy every minute of them!

meghan

always visit more than one college and you can always change schools if needed!!!

Phil

The biggest thing that I have come to recognize while trying to select my college is just to find a place you can call home. Midland is a place I can call home. When selecting your college make sure you ask questions, talk with students when avaliable, get a real feel for the college don't just take their word. When considering options make sure that you listen to your heart as well as your future. Your heart will find a home, and your future will lead you to a place with security, both now and in ten years. Knowing who you are and where you want to go is important, but be sure to realize that in college with the new freedoms come responsibilities. You may just come to discover a newer, better you. In the end, find a place that you can call home, a place you feel entirely comfortable in, and a place that's going to open the door to posibilities for you.

Catharine

Make your own decision. Don't settle for anything. Make sure you're getting what your paying for. GET INVOLVED!

Tiffany

To support your child in every situation they encounty in life because that matters the most to them. Also visit as many colleges that you can this will give an idea of what your child wants for an atmosphere. Do not pressure them to pick the one that you want them to go to, let them decide.

Kylee

Make sure you get all the loans and grants possible so you don't have to worry about paying the school while still attending. And make sure the college is the right size for you. If you dont like everyone knowing your name then go to a bigger school. If you dont just want to be a number go to a smaller school.

Heather

I would suggest that they go and look at the school, look at the progrmas they offer, make sure they have the program that the student is looking for, and look at the housing. It is important to look at all of you options before deciding on the one that you want to go to. You need to make sure that you have all of your ideas laid out and in line before you just jump into college. Enjoy your time at college but realize that along with the partying and social life there are still books you need to use and grades you need to keep up.

Ben

Look at all of the possibilities before pinning down one school sometime the best one for you would be the last one you would pick