Midway University

« See more reviews of Midway University

When searching for the right college, it is critical for parents and students to visit the campuses they are considering. This will give them a feel for the activities available on or near the college campus, and whether the student will be happy there. Because a large portion of time during college is spent outside the classroom, it is important that the student have access to extracurricular and other social activities. Balance between academics and socializing is very important for a student to make the most of their college experience, and to keep their minds and bodies fresh and healthy! Parents and students must also understand how the student learns best ? for example, will they perform better academically in an environment with small classes, or in a large university setting? Will they need additional tutoring or study groups, or personal help from professors, and what academic assistance is available at the colleges being considered? All of these things factor into deciding which college to attend, and it is well worth spending the time necessary to ask lots of questions and carefully consider the positive and negative factors of each potential college to choose the best option for the individual student.

A couple things need to be done or considered. First is to lay out a list of priorities. List desired major, social life, academic progress, location, among any potential deciding factors in their order of importance. The goal is that if you don't find a school that meets everything you want, you can be sure to get the qualities that are most important to you. Next, you should meet with the school, observe classes, talk with current and/or past students, talk with professors in your desired major, etc. Finally, considering everything you've seen or heard, decide on your preferred schools and send your application. The most imortant thing to realize in choosing a school is that you'll benefit academically according to how your willingness and desire to learn. In my advice, you should look for schools that you can be successful at while still being academically challenged because learning will be more enjoyable and easier to retain when it is done in an environment that allows success while presenting challenges. Learning to overcoming those challenges is the most important skill a college can teach and will allow the college experience to affect future experiences.

This is my advice to students about finding the right college and making the most of your experience. Look for a place that you feel comfortable in, where the people are friendly and you would fit in. Apply everywhere. It doesn't hurt to have options! Know your basics: budget, class size, activities, and distance from home. Take a tour if you are able and talk to students, even sit in on a class. Once you get there, take the first few days to relax and get acquainted with your campus. Find out what makes it unique. Don't be shy, so talk to people (they aren't as unfriendly as they look). Then, get down to business and organize! Use a planner and carry it with you everywhere. Mark down your free time and class schedule. Don't overcommit with activities. Take class seriously and don't live from test to test. Really try to learn! If you have a hard time adjusting, tell someone. Whether it's a student, RA, or faculty member, there are lots of friendships waiting to happen. Last of all, have fun, be safe, and you'll always have great memories.

Research well what it is you want to study and make sure that the schools you are looking at offer what you want but also offer a variety of majors in case you want to explore other career possibilities. Schools that require their students to actively participate in their prospective field of work are the best because they are there to help their students acheive thier career goals rather then take money from them. If there is a chance to spend a night and day at a prospective college then you should do it to get a real feel of the school, the campus and living in a dorm situation. Always look at your surrounding town as well to make sure that the area is what you want. Once in college, you get out of it what you put into it. Always keep an open mind, and be friendly and social. Getting involved in any school activity is great, and make good , friendly connections with your proffessors. STUDY HARD! You are in school for a reason, and that is to eventually make money so don't waste it being there and slacking off! HAVE FUN!

As a high school senior i thought college would be a breeze. All the teachers tell you, "get ready its a big would out there, and its not going to be easy". However, that never really effects you until you are out on your own paying the bills, and providing for yourself. My advice to any high school senior is to fill out as many scholarships as possible, and believe in yourself because you can do it. My mom tried, and begged me to fill out scholarships. I was always to lazy, and now i pay an outrageous amount of tuition. I realize it may take time out with your boyfriend, and time you could be cheering on your home team, but stop and think whats going to be more fun, hanging out with your friends in high school when you are living on your parents property, or hanging out with them in college and having lots of freedom, because you filled out your scholarships and don't have to work all the time? Please go with the second choice for me. I know every one of you can suceed in college. All it takes is a little effort.

If I could go back in time, the advice I'd give myself is to not let anything or anyone distract you from whats important. Although there will be obstacles you will come across, have faith in yourself and you will be able to get past them with no problems. I would also tel myself to stay focused on school. Don't let other things such as friends, going out, basically my social life, get in the way of school. School is very important and your social life can wait. Another thing I would tell myself is to believe in your self and make sure you are making yourself proud and happy before you do that for anyone else. You are more important and nothing is too hard, don't tell yourself you can't, because you can. The last thing I would say is make sure you save money, so that you are able to help your family and have money for emergencies. Last but not least, appreciate that you are gwtting the chance to further your education, do not take it for granted.

There are many things a college student should consider before choosing the right school. The first thing that should be considered is the cost of tuition and what you can afford. There are many ways to get financial assisstance and a student should not think that they can't pay for college. I have recieved several grants and loans to pay for my tuition and I am working on finding ways to pay back the loans. The second thing that a student should consider is the type of atmosphere they want at their school. This is why it is very important to attend campus visits because this where you really get to see what the school is like. Finally, a student needs to consider the type of classes he/she wants to take and the field of study he/she will be going in to. Some schools do not offer all degree programs and may not be the right school for you. These are all things a new college student should consider before choosing a school.

Make sure to volunteer at lots of different places to give yourself ideas of what you want to do when you grow up. Introduce yourself to the professors and show them that you are working hard to learn what they teach right away so that when you need help, they will want to help you right away. Get involved in college and don't be afraid to try something new. This is your opportunity to explore new things, make a variety of friends, and challenge yourself in new ways. You have to push yourself to do things because no one else is going to hold your hand. Also, you will start to question yourself, whether it be what you want to do, who you believe in, who you look up to, or what you believe to be right or wrong. It is okay to question and it is okay to change. Embrace the change in yourself. And above all else, allow yourself to experience this chapter of your life because you can never get it back.

Parents, when looking for a college for your child insure that the college you settle on is the right college for them. It is important to look at size of schools. Larger schools are more of a challenge to focus on school work and many students may get caught up in ?the college life". Students, when looking for a school make sure it meets your needs. If you know you won?t be able to concentrate in a classroom of two hundred students search for a smaller school. If you enjoy exercising make sure the school you choose has an exercise facility. Students to make the best of your college experience get involved with clubs or events that take place on campus. Get out and meet new people. College is the time where you make life long friends and to do so it?s important for students to participate in the activities on campus or events hosted by the school.

There is so much information that I wish I could share with myself before I started college. The two main things that stick out to me though are the transition from living at home to being on campus and money matters. I would tell myself that at first it might seem lonely and hard to be away from home, but I will end up making friends and enjoying living on campus. The money matters would be very important to talk about because now I realize how much hard work it takes to get through college. I would tell myself to keep up the work of filling out scholarship applications and to also keep a job that I can work at whenever I’m on a break from school. These two things if I had known about them earlier or someone had talked to me in detail how it would be would have helped me out a lot when I was first planning to head off to college.