Oakland, CA
Mills College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mills College

Kexin
What do students complain about most?

-smocking -TINNY gym -small campus

What do students complain about most?

-smocking -TINNY gym -small campus

Describe the dorms.

Well most of us have single room with a twin-size bed, a study desk, a small book shelf, closet, drawers and a sink. It actually looks pretty good! We have a communal kitchen and a shared rec room where we can watch movies or just TV shows. Students are really close and nice to each other, so our doors are always unlocked in the day time because people always come and just start talking!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Mills College has great financial aid programs. Also it's an all women's school which helps me to focus lol

Mills College is a small community, where the biggest class over here (Fundamental Psychology) only has about 80 students. So the professors definitely know your name! They will not only know your name, they will actually discuss with you. (It's really hard to skip class here in Mills, believe me!) Also since it's a small college, professors are really close to students and they are easily to reach. Except their office hours, you can always make appointments with them. You will find yourself always busy and engaged. Mills women are famous for our intelligence, we are always prepared to learn and explore new things. Our school is relatively strict in grading, however, this pushes students and helps them to develop good study habits. You will learn things here not only for your future job, but also for your own personal life. We are doing all we can to be the best women!

Lesbians & No parties Well, for the first one, that's say the queer population is quiet large :p As for no parties... We have an annual "Black and White Ball," which is a great official party. Also, Mills College is closed to UC Berkeley!!! Hmmm I smell parties overthere!

Erika

The Mills community is incredibly diverse, in every arena including sexual orientation, identity, socio-economic status, race, religion, etc. It's impossible to describe a "typical" Mills student, as everyone is truly unique. Students from all backgrounds get along. My friend group contains representatives of a myriad of sexual orientation, pronoun use, fashion sense, socio-economic status and taste in music. Most students are either from California, including quite a few from the San Diego to L.A. County area, as well as Bay Area students. The biggest "transplant" group is the students who are from the East Coast. Students are very politically aware and active, on all different fronts. Most students have at least one political or social cause that they are deeply passionate about. In my experience, however, there tends to be a high degree of respect among opposing opinions and healthy discussion between them. I think students are success-oriented in that they want to do something substantial in the world, change it for the better, or built themselves a good life. I don't think most are income-oriented so much as they are outcome-oriented. Students who are uncomfortable with gender, sexual orientation, or racial diversity will not be comfortable at Mills.

Lindsay

Mills College is a women's college, which means a lot of people stereotype the entire school as being lesbians. While Mills College has a fairly large population of lesbians, the entire school is not. Mills College is an extremely supportive and unique environment, I remember when touring campus before I became a student this question was brought up and my tour guide skillfully said "we all love each other and support each other so in that sense yes we are all 'gay' for each other". If you have never been in an all female environment you are in for a treat, it is not as one might expect when a bunch of females are constantly surrounded by other females which often gets stereotyped as an unpleasant and catty environment which is not the case at all. Everyone at Mills decided to go to Mills for a unique educational experience, an extremely supportive environment and also to be challenged academically. Being at Mills you will constantly be surrounded by amazing, intelligent women and by attending Mills you get the supportive environment that will help you harness your own inner Mills woman!

Audriannah

I would tell myself that I did not have to be so afraid of failure and that I could live alittle more than I did in college. I would also tell myself that all of the hard work that I did in college would pay off and to continue all of the volunteer work because it really did make a difference in the lives of the women that went to my college. I would also tell myself to get off campus more and explore the city that was around me without constantly worrying about my homework. However, overall, I would tell myself that Mills College would me the reason that I become the person I am today.

Someone who is looking to party and not owrk hard academically. Someone who is very conservative and not comfortable in the queer community

Karna

The size of Mills is perfect. The campus is gorgeous and almost all the women are very friendly (I've never met one that wasn't!) When I tell people I attend this school they think I must be extremely smart.

What are your classes like?

Classes are extremely challenging and enjoyable. I have grown so much both intellectually and personally through my two years at Mills!

Mills holds outstanding seminars and speakers. I commute to school but there are enough things scheduled throughout the day and evening that I don't miss too much!

If you judge individuals for any reason then this school is not for you. Very accepting of all shapes, sizes and flavors of people. Sometimes people think that only very wealthy girls attend Mills - this is far from the norm. Many girls work or obtain financial aid and work extremely hard.

I love all my professors - they know me so well. They help you want to participate and interact in class. In particular I absolutely LOVE the Book Arts department - they are my favorite people. It is a difficult program but you learn so much and have so much fun doing it!

Kathryn

Crew, soccer, and volleyball are popular here. I met my friends in my LLC (a group freshwomen are put in to live together for their first year). We get to choose our rooms for the next year in accordance to a lottery system. If you would like to party, you will need to go off campus though. Most people go out to Berkeley or San Francisco. People who come here tend to already have dates.

We have a wide range of racial and religious groups on campus. Socio-economic groups range due to grants from financial aid. We also have a large lesbian community here. Men are often a rare sight on campus. If they are seen, they stick out like a sore thumb. I often wear pajamas to class. Sometimes, I just slap on some clothes and run to class after taking a shower. I often see people with clothes on from PE or a dance class. Professors do not mind. Much of the population is liberal and very vocal. Discussions in the dining hall are frequent and interesting. Many of the students are politically active and aware (participate in rallies).

Class sizes are small. I have classes with only 10-15 students. The largest class I had was about 30 students. Most of my professors know me by my name. If I miss a class, they tend to notice and sometimes ask about it. They also love to see students drop by in their office hours. I am in the nursing program. Though the program itself is not very competitive (need to maintain a 3.0 average), many of the students are competitive and try to get the best grades possible. However, the students here are usually willing to help each other and love to form study groups. Though academic orientated, learning is also geared towards a liberal arts education. Students are required to take a woman studies class. Their arts program consist of art history, music, dance, studio art and more.

Mills is a small campus. Usually, it is very quiet on weekends. People will hole themselves up in their rooms to study. If you would like to party or go out, you will need to go out of your way to take AC transit or the college shuttle to Berkeley/San Francisco.There is nothing within walking distance which helps for those who would like to concentrate on their studies.

Cecilia

Don't expect things to stay how they have been, many things will change within the next few months, which will change your outlook on college, and leaving farther from home would be the right choice for you. You should not hesitate to go away for college, it is probably the best experience you can recieve. Don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone, because you will get used to your new surroundings. Everything will work out in the long run and you shouldnt worry too much about what your major should be, you will figure it all out in time, and your first year of college is just trying to help you figure out what you like.

The amount of support each student recieves, truly makes Mills College stand out from other schools. It is a community where everyone can be themselves with no judgement at all. The teachers will do anythign possible to help their students as well, so along with student supprt you have facutly support and help when needed.

Someone who enjoys being in a close community and is social, or even if you're not social, their is enough support from others where anyone can fit in. If you like the arts, this is a great school to go to, there are a lot of opportunities to take classes in various arts such as dance, music, and visual arts.

Lindsey

People who want a small school that has a large sense of community. They should also want to go to class because attendance is required in almost all courses. They should also want to attend a school where the faculty cares about them and wants them to succeed. The person should also not be afraid to meet new people, join groups, and be outgoing. If you just want to stay in the background, this will not be a good school for them.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the lack of food options. Our latest option closes at 10pm, and there are only three places to eat on campus. The food is also not very healthy unless you eat a salad every day.

Ione

Mills College is a private, all female undergraduate liberal arts school. This means I have the unique experience of being surrounded by strong females and am able to have a well-rounded education. At Mills, I am able to pursue a Bachelor of Arts in a science field, but I am also able to take plenty of classes outside of my major area.

If I could go back in time to talk to my myself when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to abancdon the complacency that I had become so accustomed to! My grades were always good enough, I usually had good relationships with my teachers, and I never struggled too much in school. This meant that I usually put the minimum required effort into what I did. From what I have learned since being in college, hard work and extra effort aren't necessary for the good grades, it's necessary for my happiness. Studying harder, asking for tutoring and pushing myself a little harder on each problem may or may not get me closer to my future goals, but where ever I end up, I'll know that my journey was happy and whole. It also takes hard work to build the strong friendships that I always felt were missing from my life. This time around, I'm not going to miss out on feeling that I did all I could. If I could go back and tell my high school self this, feeling happy and proud of myself could have have started that much sooner.

The price of going to Mills is the worst thing about going here. Including tuition, room, and board, it costs about $50,000 to be here ever year. My family cannot afford that and my school did not provide enough financial aid, so my parents and I have to take out a lot in loans ever year.

Yolanda

I would say work your best, try your hardest, and do your work so you can go to college and succeed. The best way to do good in college is to try your best in highschool. Dont slack and listen. If you stay caught up and do all your work and get good grades college will be easier. Do your best and after highschool start straight into college so everything is not hard to remember. Start college right after highschool and keep going. Dont stop to take time off, just keep going and youll do great. College is alot harder than highschool so you need to listen up and get good grades. The only way to succeed is to try your hardest. Without pushing yourself and doing what you have to to get good grades, college wont be simple. Try your hardest and youll succeed.

Mills College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.