Oakland, CA
Mills College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mills College

Nina

My classmates have been the kindest, most friendly people I have ever met, always saying hi and starting a conversation, and leaving unexpected gifts for our entire hall merely out of their own thoughtfulness.

First, I never would have been able to attend Mills College if it weren't for the amazing financial aid they provided for me. The college has, through that means and others, made me feel wanted, and extremely flattered that they chose to accept me. In attending Mills College, I have faced more opportunities than I have before. My caring professors always make themselves and other resources available for meetings and extra help with the work, meaning I have learned more than I expected to, about the subject and about how to do the work. Everyone--professors, RAs, administrators, coaches--have made themselves available for anything I might need, such as discussion about stressors. I have always felt hesistant, and nervous about my confidence with and in front of other people. But I learned to approach others for help. Additionally, I joined the crew team even with no prior experience, which would not have been possible at other schools, and became a coxswain, forcing me to be responsible for eight women out on the water, teaching me to look after them and drive them on, acting as a coach would, which has improved my confidence and leadership skills.

Because my school is so small, the campus is essentially closed on the weekends--most people either leave to the surrounding cities, or stay inside. There are usually no activities provided, except for the occasional dance, and so often no one is around.

Kylie

They are motivated and strong women who believe in what they say.

They are motivated and strong women who believe in what they say.

I have met some of the most amazing people, classmates and professors who love what they do. The teachers care about how you do in their class and keep their classes interesting. I love running on the track and cross-country team because I am supported and I really love my team-mates. The value of classes and relationships cannot be compared to anything else.

The community the Mills College campus creates is amazing and completely unique.

Melissa

In the beginning, college was not for me. I just wasn’t ready, so I gave up. A few years later, I decided to try again. It has been the best decision of my life! I received my Bachelor’s degree in Psychology in 2008. Now I am back in school for a Nursing degree. I aspire to be a psychiatric nurse. College has helped me to grow up. Looking back, I see that the time I spent in college has helped me acquire skills and knowledge that I would have never had otherwise. I have made networking connections with professors and fellow students that have helped me to attain my goals in life. Without college, I would not be the person who I am today.

Jason

I spent one year in college, and I learned many things during that span. Some of things I learned went way beyond the classroom. While in college, I had to learn how to balance my school life, as well as a full time overight job. The work load in school was tough enough, but a night job paying for my education made it tougher. I also learned how important completing my schooling was. At 26 years old, I have matured a great deal. I'm ready to start my career, and I understand that having a degree is only going to improve my chances of being successful. In my field, Audio Production, the corporate world is looking for people with good technical experience and trainning. I could have gained all the field experience in the world, but without the classroom trainning, it's unless. I will be able to work, hands-on immediately in my field. That is imperitive for what Im trying to do. I would have the opportunity to be taught by some of the best instructors in their field. I believe attending college would be the most important and best I've made decision in my life.

Wendy

They are intellectual, open minded, well read, stylish, creative, music loving, and polite. They also have a good sense of humor.

I have learned about different cultures, and how to approach someone who isn't like me in terms of ethnic background without being offensive. I have conquered the homophobia I had. I've learned how to call out people on their racist tendencies without becoming emotional. I have met people like me, finally, on intellectual terms, where issues like politics, religion and literature aren't out of the question. I hadn't had those sort of conversations previously because no one wanted to be offended, and even though everyone has their own opinion here in Mills there can still be this peaceful coexistence. It has been very valuable to attend because I have grown in these couple of months more than any other point in my life. I am grateful for my family, and I understand that a lot of people don't the privileges that I have had. I am poor, and Mills is a private institution, but after being here I understand that it is worth it. Working for my education makes me appreciate Mills more. College has made me humble.

A person who tends to think conservatively. We love our conservatives, but there is a strong majority that that is very, very liberal. The conservatives that are here don't like it too much. Homophobic people shouldn't attend here, either, because Mills loves gay people. Racist people shouldn't come here either, people with KKK tendencies, because there is a lot of diversity. Sexually active heterosexual women shouldn't come here, either, because there are few men.

Charlie

Our classes are tiny that sometimes the professor can take us out to cool feildtrips (e.g. SF museums) and we don't have to pay for them. This is not a college town at all, some people party in UCB or other areas in the Bay Area like S.F. Only chiks can apply to school here, but it's a co-ed graduate school and we also have a program called EF, so you'll see lots of international students and that program is co-ed. You can make lots of great international friends there and even have an EF language buddy. Furthermore, people don't really like the Founder's food because it can be disgusting, but there's also a café and a grill area where the food is 100 times better so you can get a meal plan with points for that. However, the campus is really safe and pretty and you'll most likely get a spacious room for yourself if you're smart about choosing. There aren't terrible dorm rules and some people even have parties in the dorms, you can just get it approved. We have a safety system that the security can escort you to your dorm at night if you don't want to walk or bump into raccoons. There used to be secret forest parties with the EF students, but now they're more strict and there's no more because maybe of fire hazards since some people would smoke there. There's an awesome swimming pool and jacuzzi for all students and alums. Sorry, but it's not a party school, so if you want parties there are ways, but you have to be outgoing to find people. For instance, there's a group of students who will go clubbing every week-end. We're a very diverse community and a very liberal and open minded college. For more info talk to admissions, they'll be happy and sign up for the CYCLONES overnight hosting options! Cause we like to move our bodies like a CYCLONE! haha College is awesome and everybody should go!

Small school about 1,000 kids total counting undergrads & grads. All races, backgrounds, genders, ethnicity's etc are welcome here. I work for students with disabilities and we have great resources for them even note takers. You would feel out of place if you are a republican, but even so people won't attack you.

We are an awesome women's college with lots of networking opportunities. Yes, we do have imperfections like all colleges, but students unite to make it the best! We welcome everybody and anybody!

Nope, heck no! Not all of us are lesbians. Just because it's a women's college doesn't mean we aren't straight. There are a lot of straight people here as well.

The professors are awesome and you're not competing against classmates! You are collaborating so everybody can learn! My favorite classes are the FRENCH, SPANISH w Carlotta, & ECON! & I can say that one time I lost my french homework and went to office hours and I told my professor all the answers and went over more things for like a full hour, so professors will make the time to teach! Students help each other learn and there's a free tutoring and essay writing center for students by student tutors and students get payed well to tutor! We have amazing learning resources. Students here a amazingly smart and you'll find yourself having stimulating conversations with all majors! Mills has fun classes, awesome professors e.g. Bert Gordon, Christian Marouby, Brinda Mehta, along with so many others. Most students who come here end up either with incredible jobs, or at really good graduate schools like UC Berkeley or even abroad. So I always see successful alumni after graduation. So far all my friends who have graduated have great lives and futures. So this is a school which focuses on the individual and helping us accomplish our goals. We partner with really good study abroad schools and our financial aid transfers! E.g. of schools, Boston University, American University, Minnesota, Arcadia, Sorbonne, etc etc.

Not many parties, you have to find them and be outgoing. But many student organizations!

Victoria

I would tell myself that I need practice making friends and being social. I also should read books like To Kill a Mockingbird and 1984 so i would know what the other girls were talking about. Also to not stress, it will be fun and it will be the right choice (which ever college you choose). Most of all let yourself try as many new things as possible and stay on top of your homework.

I wish I would have known what the weather would be like its way different then where I grew up. I aslo wish I would have know how expensive it was to travel and all the options there are (train, plane, car). I wish I had watched and read more educational books and movies.

The campus is confussing at times because its hidden in the hills and its hard to find some of your classes.

Miriam

Miriam, you need to start paying attention to colleges right NOW. Don't wait around for someone to tell you where you should go, take the plunge and look at everything and anything. Don't allow peoples personal opinions to sway you where they want you to go, look at where you want to go. When leaving for college don't stress. Everything will go smoothly and perfectly. And don't worry about the first week of school, making friends, new classes, and scary teachers because everything has to happen for a reason. Your family is always going to be there to support you so someone will constantly be there for you. Don't worry about the little things, live your life, enjoy your time, don't slack on anything, and work your butt off! You will be amazing!

If you are looking for a school that doesnt allow for many distractions, small, is very safe environment, new technology, has a beautiful campus, amazing dorms (with NO roomates) then this is the college for you.

If you want a place that has a dedicated social life, then this is not the campus for you. This school is more about academics then a party scene, which a lot of students do not realize until they come here.

Loren

My school is best known for being a liberal-arts school that focuses around social justice. It also i known for small class sizes and the many resources it offers the students who seek it.

If I could go back in time and tell myself as a high school senior what I know now, I would tell myself to enjoy the moments with friends and family, as well as to really pay attention to the advice my teachers kept repeating. I chose a school far away from my hometown and I miss my friends and family. As a senior, I had fun with my friends and family, but i don't think i appreciated it enough then as i do now. So I would have told myself when i was a senior that no matter how great of friends you are or how close to your parents you are, distance makes you realize how great you had it and how hard it is to be away from them. Academically, I would have liked myself to know that the one teacher that sometimes got on your nerves was right, learning those vocabulary words really will help you in college. My senior year I believed I knew what collge would be like and I did not need it to be told by a teacher. Turns out I will be using every single thing i was taught.

The Kind of person who should not attend Mills College is someone who is not open or able to change and adapt in order to be succesful.

Lin

Senior year of high school: time to lay back, relax, and reap in the hard work of the last three years of high school. We were wrong to assume so. Having now experienced a little bit of college and real life, having learned to trust my self and my own knowledge, if I could go back in time, to my senior self I would say, "Snap out of it, get organized, get working, and balance it all with fun!" As a first generation Chinese-American daughter, I was expected to study, study, study. I had studied hard and worked hard, but when senior year came around, because EVERYONE became lazy, I slacked off and attained an apathetic work habit. My reasoning had been that because I had worked so hard all those other years, no one would care about the last year. Colleges wouldn't even see the second semester grades until after acceptance letters were mailed out. Because of these views, my first semester of college was disasterous. Instead of working your very, very hardest at and dedicating your energy to one point of life, everyone, especially my senior self, should learn to balance all parts of life.

Someone who is dedicated to learning and focusing on their education is a good candidate for this school. Students here also have a lot of fun, so anyone who is looking to have a good time, expanding their boundaries, and meeting all types of new perspectives should come here. Anyone looking for oppurtunities would also love it here because Mills makes anything and everything you fight for possible.

Students are very liberal--accepting of everyone and open to all views and opinions, and active--almost everyone is involved in at least 2-3 clubs, have work study, and is dedicated to community service.

Mills College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.