Oakland, CA
Mills College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mills College

There are several things that I would tell myself as a high school senior with the experience of the first semester of college. First, I would be clearer in believing in my capabilities, both as a student and as an individual. I am not attending college in order to simply land a job, but also to become a more well rounded person academically, emotionally, and personally. I'd be more aware of my goal to gain a wider, more comprehensive world perspective. By believing in myself, I am creating the groundwork to learn who I am, not only academically, but also culturally: what my role is in this world community framework. This is the most important peice of advice I could offer. In addition, I would convey the importance of establishing relationships with professors and faculty members. They are there to help every student--to meet me where I am; don't be nervous in asking for help! The lifelong friendships will develop with time, and these are just as vital to the college experience as the academics. My last peice of advice would be to make the most of the four years I have in college in every way.

Before attending my first semester of college, I wish I was more sure of who I am as a person. Just five months into college I am much more confident about who I am and what my interests and characteristics are. Though this is part of the college experience, it would have been a great headstart if I was not worried about what people would think of me in my first semester. The fact of the matter is that they were all nervous and worried just as much as I was.

Since I really enjoy my school and can't imagine a better fit for me, it is hard to find something about my school that I strongly dislike. However, I think that my school should do a better job of being visible in the academic world. Mills is a college with extremely high quality instruction and fantastic oportunities for women who are able to get in. This calibre of college should be better known to the academics with its fond nickname of "the Wellesley of the west".

Kamiel

My classmates are very open-minded and often humorous as well.

My classmates are very open-minded and often humorous as well.

It will happen as soon as the family leaves and you find yourself alone in your new dorm room amongst the boxes of your belongings. The strangeness of your surroundings will hit you like a ton of bricks, heavy and horribly unexpected. Those people wandering around the halls are strangers, and the loneliness will sneak up behind you and rob you of your excitement, replacing it with knots of dread in your stomach. You?ll be terrified at the thought of starting all the way back at the bottom rung the social ladder, especially when making friends was never easy for you to begin with. Pretending to be fine by acting tough and aloof will be your first response to your situation. It also won?t help you at all. They?ll see you as unapproachable and treat you as such. Don?t be silent. Speak up and introduce yourself. Don?t be afraid to join your dorm mates when they gather together. Opening up to others is difficult for you, but once you get over that, you?ll be able to make new friends who will be there for you during the ups and downs of your new life.

Well, if you're looking for the college "party environment", Mills is totally not what you're looking for. It's extremely quiet during the weekends.

Katy

Mills is best known for being a contemporary woman's college. We have a reputation for being politically active, ecologically mindful, and embracing diversity. And that's a reputation I'm proud to uphold.

I know things haven't been easy. But please, relax a little and enjoy yourself. High school puts a lot of stress on college preparedness, but what you really need to do is take some time out. You don't have to cram the night before the exam. It doesn't work in high school, and it definitely doesn't work in college - believe me, I've tried. Take a bath, rub your feet, go to yoga - and then work on your assignments. They will be so much better once your head is clear and your heart is happy. Once you get yourself straightened out, everything else will fall into place. And please, stop wearing those shoes. I know you love them, but they're falling apart! It's time to let go.

Living at Mills has many great benefits, like single dorms and conscientious dining options. But my favorite thing about Mills is the professor-student relationship that is central to the exerience here. My professors all know my name, hand write feedback on my work, and are happy to talk to me after class. Introductory Government glass size? Less than ten students. Nothing beats that kind of individual attention.

Wiljago

A wonderful environment to learn, but more importantly experiment . The professors give students a lot of room to explore their own ideas, and are gentle but truthful about areas of learning or expression which need some work.

Don't be too quick to judge an experience a failure. Even the strange false starts that end up cluttering our lives teach us something, at least. Everything there is to do takes longer than you think. Having respect for the project will give you patience.

Maja

My classmates at Mills College have all been friendly, open-minded, and motivated to work toward their goals. They are a group that are able to think outside the box, and use the resources available to them to really customize their education to suit their needs and interests.

When I was a senior in high school, I wasn't really aware of all the options available to me, since my parents and I were immigrants. I believed that higher education was outside of my financial reach. I was also intimidated by the application process because it sounded very complex. Therefore, I began full time work when I was 18 years old. Needless to say, inexperienced and lacking a college education, my work was not very fulfilling. However, after working for years and learning that I could succeed as a professional, I grew as a person and gained confidence. I became ready to pursue my college education, which I dreamed of all along. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that going to college was a real possibility, and that whatever obstacles I perceived could be overcome. I would have encouraged myself to research all the options available to me, including financial aid options. I would tell myself to dream and pursue what I really want.

I wish I had been aware of how much financial, academic, and personal assistance and guidance was available to students. I was concerned about my ability to return to school after years of full time work, but Mills College enabled me to do so. It is a very supportive environment.

wafa

The advice i would give myself if I was a senior in high school I would have applied for scholarship and you have to work hard to earn your grades. Be flexible and I didn't know exactly what I wanted to be when I was 18 and take different courses in college and change majors, change colleges, and take longer to graduate if you need to. I would find a work that I love to do, not worry about what job that pays the best and take good courses that will help you and college life.

The type of person that should attend this school are people that have good income and It may be right for some people, but in my own opinion, its a great school and it's an all girls school.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that the Tutition is High and it's a private school. I guess I'll start applying for student loans right now And then just fine a job while attending school so I can pay for my loan back. I have been looking for scholarships and hoping for luck to win a scholarship that could help pay for my college tutition. Will i will keep looking and applying for scholarship untill i received one and its hard for me to pay because i don't work and i'm living with parents.

Very enviornmentally savi and interested in the students interests by allowing students to basically control what happens on campus and the school has many different traditions.

Very interested in school strictly. Not really into partying.

If I had the chance to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that even though you ultimately attend colleges and universities because of academic reasons, the school's social life also plays a huge role in the students overall happiness on campus. If you take tours of certain campuses and get the chance to interview students, really ask them about the social life; "how is campus life on weekends?" "does the location of the school affect your life on and off campus?". I would make sure that I reminded myself that I like to have an even balance of a good social life that isn't overwhelming, along with an academic experience that isn't overbearing.

Sydney

its liberalism and emine studies

its liberalism and emine studies

don't give your mom any leeway when it comes to doing her taxes, youwill need that money more than you really know.

Lyndsey

Mills is both an experiance and an education, it's something to belong to.

Mills is both an experiance and an education, it's something to belong to.

Bring more towels, don't live alone (it sucks), and don't take Calc, you stick at it.

It is incredibly isolated, if you have a car you WILL want it.

Chelsie

The women at Mills are friendly, energetic, open-minded and inquisitive.

The women at Mills are friendly, energetic, open-minded and inquisitive.

Mills is an amazing school because it is so small and in such a great location. It's very easy to create a close group of friends and to become acquainted with most of the people on campus let alone the women in your class. The fact that it is a Women's College means that women here have a much higher rate of success and are often more driven and more talented than women from other schools. It's a great fit for any woman looking to be successful and to make an impact on the world.

The best advice I could give to students and parents about finding the right school would be to apply to a lot of them, and to visit. My biggest mistake when choosing a school was that I only applied to the few that I heard about or that sent me free applications. Because of this I didn't realize that I could get more scholarships from small private schools and ended up applying to schools that I could never afford. I encourage students and parents who are able to visit schools because every college and university has such a unique environment and aura. Visiting schools and meeting students was the biggest factor in my decision to attend Mills College. As far as how to make the most of your college experience, I urge students to get involved, to come out of their shell and to have fun. Mills is an amazing school academically, and I've learned a lot, but one of the main reasons I've stayed is because of the strong community I've built with other students, staff and in the outside community. Getting involved and "putting yourself out there" is the best way to get started.

Mills College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.