Oakland, CA
Mills College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Mills College

Alison

Absolutely visit the school first and make sure that it's in a neighborhood you want to live in. Also, meet the professors of your major first, if you are going to a small school.

Darcy

Mills is a women's college. Despite that, I don't feel that I'm missing out on a co-ed education.

Until you've tried it out, you won't really know how much you'll like it. Always try to stay overnight at a school you're really interested--twice if possible, so you can get two different experiences. Attend as many classes as you can, even in subjects you don't think you'll be interested in taking. If you already find yourself engaged in learning, that's a sign you might do well academically. Finally, people-watch. If you can easily imagine yourself among the students of the college, then you've probably realized the school is right for you.

I only wish that I knew my financial aid would be impacted greatly by my parent's taxes. It was much better with just the FAFSA.

Andee

I would advise students to look for a strong community and peaceful environment foremost, somewhere they will quickly feel happy and at home. Academic rigor should be looked at in consideration with the balance they want between school and life in general. Before looking at prestige, they need to evaluate somewhere that will be a good fit for them, they will be learning and living there for the next 4 years. finally they should make sure that the college has a wide selection of majors to explore so they can discover what they are passionate about turning into a career.

I think the students lack of voice in decisions made within the administration is my biggest point of contention. It can also be suffocating to live on a small campus with such a small sample of people of the same age and gender with all of my own opinions, but we're in the middle of the bay area so that's easily remedied.

Socially conservative people would feel very out of placed and even threatened here, people from sheltered backgrounds sometimes have trouble as well but are treated kindly and often carve out a niche for themselves or learn to expand their boundaries. People who have more interest in the public sector end of business, rather than a focus on social responsibility would also be frustrated here.

Margaret

Do some soul searching first. Figure out what you love and who you love. Know the people you want to be with before you choose. Accept that you will change, be prepared to be open to new experiences and see college as a challenge. Don't be afraid, the college you pick will not make or break you. Alway remember, you will do your best in a place where you are happy and challenged. You did not make it through High School to wind up in a bigger version of it. Show the world what you are made of.

Conservative, bigoted,homophobic,racist,narcs,male undergrads, spoiled people, people looking to attend coeducational colleges.

I talk about how pretty it is here, and how nice all of the women are. I tell them about all the friends i have made and how free i fell too express myself. I love talking about the 4+1 graduate program. Also the rooms have sinks in them, and some of them are hardwood!

Maxamaris

To students: take a deep breath. Just pick one. College is about two things: the present and the future. Forget the past. Forget about what your parents want. Forget about what you did in high school. College is where you will realize who you are. That sounds cliched, but believe me: you can feel it happening. You can be whoever you want to be. Once you're in college, spend your time enjoying everything around you. Your major, your grades, the professional contacts you make - not going to lie - those are important. All I my advice on that is to listen to your gut. What do you like? In most careers, you need at least a Masters to be competitive, so spend your undergraduate doing what you love. You need to remember the things ahead of you, but you will be better prepared for them if you just learn how to take care of yourself and how to make the most out of the incredible world we live in and the people in it. Eat some fruit and vegetables. Call your family once in a while. Return your library books on time. Don't plagiarize. Get into some extracurriculars.

I can't really tell how other academics percieve it.

Emilee

Mills is the only school that I considered attending that was not co-ed.

Mills is the only school that I considered attending that was not co-ed.

When going through the process of choosing a college I highly recommend visiting the campus during term if at all possible so as to get a better feel for the student environment, the size of classes, the professors' instruction styles, how the dining services operate, and dorm life. While admission department led tours are great, it's also great to try and interact with students who aren't affiliated with the department and are less inclined to try and persuade you to attend. I'm not sure what the 'college experience' is. I think the best way to go about the collegiate years is to try and maintain a good balance between studying, socializing, and getting time to yourself to just relax. It's important to take classes seriously and get coursework done, but it's also good to have a strong social support network to fall back on during stressful times. Working during school is something that many students have to do, and if one is doing that on campus I suggest trying to get into a job that will offer flexibility during exam season, treats students well, and offers useful work experience skills.

Anyone who is homophobic, politically conservative, or wants the traditional large college environment should probably avoid Mills.

Rebecca

My fellow classmates are diverse and challenge me to think beyond the status quo.

Take a comprehensive campus tour and talk to as many current students as possible. I strongly recommend sitting in on a class in a major you are thinking about. Also, spend a weekend in the city it's in to make sure you want to live in that city. Make sure you can really afford the tuition and living expenses. Being stressed about money is not fun while you should be focused on your schoolwork.

I like the fact that it's all women. I really enjoy the learning environment it provides. I also like that it's in Oakland. It's a fun city. Also, the campus itself is beautiful.

Jasmine

My classmates remind me of Hilary Clinton.

My classmates remind me of Hilary Clinton.

I would suggest getting far eough away from your parents to grow up. At the same time stay close enough so that if you need them, they are accessable.

Rose

My advice is to visit the college first. To make the right decision about what kind of college is best for your student, you need an experience with the school beyond just the tour. The tour may be very helpful to see the campus but the most important is your students ability to adapt and feel comfortable in the environment. A good helpful college leads to a happy successful student. Enjoy every opportunity given and learn as much as you can. Find out what your student is passionate about and go towards that passion. Talk to professors about different classes and then to other students about teaching styles and homework. To make the most out of your student college experience, you must learn how your college will help you reach your goals.

I wish someone would have told me how expensive it would be to attend 4 years at Mills and how to do scholarships and financial aid and loans. it would be much easier now, if someone back then, would have told me about how to keep myself in school at an affordable rate.

The people in my school are very open-minded and aware. There is a lot of self-discovery here because you are comfortable enough to experiment with your appereance, your sexuality, and your hobbies. People at this school help shape your friendships, relationships and your self in the present and future.

Mills College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.