Mills College

« See more reviews of Mills College

Since I really enjoy my school and can't imagine a better fit for me, it is hard to find something about my school that I strongly dislike. However, I think that my school should do a better job of being visible in the academic world. Mills is a college with extremely high quality instruction and fantastic oportunities for women who are able to get in. This calibre of college should be better known to the academics with its fond nickname of "the Wellesley of the west".

I consider the lack of variety of courses to be the worst thing about Mills College. It is a small school, but I believe that with the cost of attendance, students should have a wider variety of courses to choose from. For example, I would like to take a course in zoology or some sort of animal science, however, there is no option to do that. If Mills College would add more specific courses to their curriculum, I think it would improve students' learning experience.

The M Center- the part of the administration that handles financial aid, major/minor declarations, meal plans and housing is really not tech savvy with a lot of red tape bureaucracy to deal with that makes it very annoying to deal with, and no one likes to go change their major, or their roommates because the M Center is so obnoxious to deal with.

I think the students lack of voice in decisions made within the administration is my biggest point of contention. It can also be suffocating to live on a small campus with such a small sample of people of the same age and gender with all of my own opinions, but we're in the middle of the bay area so that's easily remedied.

The administration; there are hoops to jump through and extra charges everywhere! They always give you the run-around, contradict themselves, make you fill out a million forms and definitely don't live up to the image they present to potential students. They are late and disorganized, and really the opposite of helpful.

The price of going to Mills is the worst thing about going here. Including tuition, room, and board, it costs about $50,000 to be here ever year. My family cannot afford that and my school did not provide enough financial aid, so my parents and I have to take out a lot in loans ever year.

The social community of my school is very separated. People seem to be too involved in their own activities to connect with each other. For as progressive and racially diverse Mills makes itself to be, students of different races do not mingle very much.

The worst thing about Mills is the fact that if you're taking science classes they're only offered on a MWF basis and each class is an hour long. It would be better if they also offered TR classes that were longer because I want to have Fridays off.

Social life is almost non-existent. Most students commute so the campus isn't very active on the weekends. Course work also tends to be heavy so you'll spend a lot of time studying. Also most people will need a job to pay for college.

I can't think of anything bad about this school. The campus is gorgeous. The classes are incredible. The only problem is the chemistry lab equipment. Most of the science funds go to the bio classes.