Mills College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Mills College

Melodie

Mills College is a space for a very specific type of person. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the atmosphere and general sense of being at the school can become dull and alienating very quickly. Progressiveness is nearly a given attitude, so people of conservative mindsets have often left the school entirely. Mills is also a bit infamous for its price. The budget seems to be spread thin, so policies and campus life blatantly seem to revolve around money. As for the social scene, the student body is both diverse and bubbled. Like I said, this school is a great fit for a very specific type of person. The best way to get a sense of what I mean by this is to visit the campus in the middle of the weekday, observe the students and staff, possibly hold a few conversations, and determine if you could really see yourself flourishing in this small but special environment.

Sara

Mills College is a beautiful, idyllic campus with many welcoming and friendly faces. Mills College is a great school if you simply want to get your degree. Their isn't really a social life which is sometimes disappointing if you are a social butterfly. However it is located in Oakland which is 30 minutes away from UC Berkeley and about an hour from San Francisco. Some upsides to the school is that it is a private school so you receive one-on-one assistance from professors. Professors definitely know you by name and you are able to perform great relationships with them. Another great thing about Mills College is the diversity of the student population.

mikayla

Mills college has great professors and classes. The school does not have enough money to adequately care for its students needs. The food at mills is terrible unless you use your points to buy food from the shop. The dorms are terrible and need to be updated. This is a good school if you are living off campus and are there for an education only.

Maryelin

Mills College is a academic focused, diverse school for many of the women attendees. Though Mills College is very focused on more progressive ideas, especially in politics, the college is open to outside ideas and for conversations about different perspectives.

Zoe

Mills College is its own school and I've never seen any other like it. The surroundings are beautiful; it's like we're in our own little bubble in a not so good area of Oakland. Mills has its own community, especially since it's all girls. I love it here!

Grace

I really love going to school here. I'm a first-year student who wants to major and Art and Technology with a focus in art. My dorm room is pretty nice, if not a little old. I've met some of my best friends this year. Even though the party scene here is quiet, there are plenty of things to do off campus.

jacqueline

To be completely honest, I love this school. The only downside In my opinions is that it is an all girls school. The campus itself is so gorgeous, there is a sense of community and I love that. It is in Oakland but its like we're in our own little town inside of Oakland. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. This is my home my school my growing place.

I had a mostly negative experience here - not enough social engagement (people keep to themselves), some very poor classes and teachers, lack of diverse and necessary classes, zero career advice/guidance/preparation, and the financial aid department was a nightmare to deal with. One good thing that came of it was that I learned a lot about social justice and feminism. Other than that, it didn't help at all with securing my current job- I could have gotten a generic degree from anywhere at a fraction of the cost.

Eden

Mills is an amazing institution, where you can come in knowing nothing about social justice and history, and leave knowing everything you could possibly hope for. Mills is a place where I've found myself, and I've had the opportunity to grow into the person I always wanted to be. Plus, it's near San Francisco, Berkeley, and in the heart of Oakland! All I can say is, thank you Mills.

Halle

The classes here are for the most part taught effectively, as far as I can tell. I like most of my teachers. The environment is great for queer people and people with disabilities. Politically, everyone is very liberal or too scared to be moderate to conservative. It can be excessive. Cishet white people are not very welcome. I've been mocked just for being bi because I'm not gay enough. The campus is lovely and a nice mix of well-groomed gardens and more unkempt, wild areas.

Eli

I love the professors and the students. The campus is beautiful. There was a great atmosphere of social justice and political awareness. The classes were rigorous but offered plenty of out-of-the-classroom support. Sometimes, though, I felt like more money was being put into the carefully manicured lawn than into supporting the students and teachers. The campus is pretty remote, so does not offer easy access to stores, restaurants, public transportation, etc.I felt that the school was not set up to cater to commuter students.

leslie

Mills College is a school that is community oriented, politically involved, and understanding with open ears and arms. This college is particularly in my interest due to its small class size, accessibility of professor connection, and because of its location. The class size is important to me because of the intimacy and open conversations I am able to have in my lectures which make it more interesting. The strong connection to my professors are very personal for they seek the very best in every student in their education, and have regular office hours for students. The location of Mills is incredible and interesting to me because its in the Bay area, and since I am not familiar with this area it is nice to see a new area setting and adapt.

Tabitha

I love it here!!! But it isn't the utopia that they will lead you to believe it is. It isn't as inter sectional and committed to activism as the pamphlets claim BUT it is still much better than most colleges in that respect. Also there are lots of hills so be prepared to get ripped.

Raquel

I love that it is a historically women's college. I find that it is easier to engage in discussions with no men in the classes. There is some elitism, which should be expected to a degree at private schools. I wish that there were more working class staff/professors who understand what it is like to not come from academic families. The language of academia is very exclusive and often leads me to feel inadequate and like I do not belong.

Mills College is an excellent place for focused individuals looking to make a change in the near future. Students, faculty and staff are almost always engaged in works off campus . In recent, the colleges financial state and governance has led to heightened student engagement on campus. The student diversity (racial and ethnic, economic and class, etc) is one of the most valuable parts of the institution.Great efforts are being made by the current administration to correct and preserve the institutions prestige, which both students and staff respond well to.

Manal

It’s a nice place for a student that don’t not like a big size class. It’s a really nice campus you feel same and the nature is beautiful. Also there is a lot of student activities around the campus that you can be involved such as MSA, Oakland Natives and much more.