Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design

Maggie

I love the class sizes and the group of people I have met. To be able to create with such a diverse and open thinking group is wonderful. I want those people who are considering MIAD to really know what they want to do, as in a career. While thereis fantastic studio and design classes, if you want to be an educator, or career that is off the art path. It may not be the school for you. The people are worht meeting though.

MIAD has one of the most unique environments of all the schools I have visited. This bohemian warehouse school gives an artist or designer the freedom to get messy and perfect their craft. The professors are all practicing artists, so while they instruct you on how to grow, they are growing and creating themselves. The school size is small and intimate; being in one building, you get to know everyone pretty quickly. There is alway access to any resources you may need and people are around to give pointers at all hours. The surrounding community provides a healthy environment for an artist to thrive, lending inspiration around every corner. MIAD gives an artist or designer the chance to learn about every possible facet of the art/design world an sets up the connections to be successful. In terms of creating a school for creators, MIAD has gone above and beyond.

Delia

Its alright, needs more hispanic students and they need to know that we know when they're just using us or including us in things just because we are hispanics. We love to be included but really? Just because of that, I mean were adults now we aren't oblivious to that. They also need to lower the food prices because I have some friends that live too far for them to leave during lunch and if they bring a lunch its usually not the best to eat by the time lunch comes. There are shops around the third ward but I mean we are broke college student help us out and drop a few bucks. As I said MIAD, Its alright.

Noah

Its a very great school, very good environment to live in. The campus life is very small but once you get to know people its very accepting and open. Courses are taken very serious to professors and this is a place of hard work, Although it has its fun moments.

Paku

I really think that this institution is really a place for students that wants to expand and explore their ideas of art and that it is a good choice of school. Not only is this school is an art school but the creativity behind the built art creations gives life to the campus and is really accepting to new concepts of ideas that each and every students bring into the institution.

Ruben

It is a design focused school, but their classes are very interesting and they work hard to make sure every student is comfortable in the school. It is very diverse and a lot of very genuine and down to earth people go to that school. The professors are also very helpful and amazing people who want you to succeed and care about you. The building and structure itself is ideally an art school.

Kristina

I am only a new Freshman, but so far I love it! The professors are great, everyone is always willing to help. It feels like everyone's priority is to help the students realize what they want to do with their lives and how to get there. Also, the Union had really good chicken wings.

Noah

Milwaukee Institute of Arts and Design is great college for those who want to get involved in the art scene. MIAD is accepting of diversity and encourages people to be themselves. MIAD's small class sizes make it easy to seek help from professors when need. If you need more help outside of that they have great staff who can help. Overall MIAD is a great art college that will help better you as an artist and prepare you for a career in the visual arts!

It's simply ~alright~. Students have access to cameras, studios, the woodshop etc, but with the tuition and additional course fees, sometimes I wonder exactly where all of this money is going, especially when students still have to go out of their way to purchase additional required supplies for classes. The school has an issue with queer and poc inclusivity, especially in the IAD and ID majors. Some of the professors are also inconsiderate of utilizing people's preferred pronouns. Other than those few, overall, I feel like the professors are open and understanding of their students. It's the decisions of the administration that are mostly questionable. With the current social climate (BLM protests, etc.), I'm hoping the school is making necessary adjustments to suit the needs of the minority population.

Brandom

Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design is an amazing school that seeks to make you a better artist is allows us to think outside the box and grow as individuals. The dorms are great and the campus is fantastic. The professors are here for the students and look after you, and want whats best for each and every one of us. Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design is a great school !

Jenna

I really enjoy going to school everyday. The school is open till midnight so students can work. You get to call teachers by their first name. Everyone is super nice and always willing to answer questions, especially the upper class man. Classes are at reasonable hours and the apartments are right across the street from the school.

Abigail

This school is an amazing place to explore one's creative side. They offer so many different aspects of art from communication design to fine arts. They keep classes interesting and push you to become a better artist. We may not have sports or fraternities/sororities, but we still offer a wide variety of extra curricular that improve skills.

Bailey

I plan to attend this fall of 2019 and am EXTREMELY excited to be around creative people like myself. Love the area. Love the vibe.

Asenath

It is a really well placed, and nice school everything is across the street, there is a floor for each major. And classes are rather small for teachers to be able to help everyone. The dorms are nice and roomy, and equipped with a kitchen. And the school as a whole is gorgeous inside and out.

Jenna

The Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design is an incredible, creative campus. Everybody there wants you to succeed and to find your passions. Faculty are always there to help you plot out a path to get you to the future career and life of your dreams. MIAD is the best school that I ever could have picked for a creative degree and the connections that I will make along the way.

Jacob

The Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design (MIAD), in my opinion, is a little bit below average for a school. To talk about the cons, if you are someone who wishes to go to a University / School where a lot will be handed to you I would strongly suggest not going to this school. There are some connections that are made for you but they are likely with companies that you are not going to want to work for. Anything outside of those connections are ones you will have to make on your own, there are people who are around to give advice on these things but as hard as they try to help I have found their help to sometimes be very outdated. The facilities are staffed but usually have at least one piece of equipment that is broken (student error). The student body seems to be growing much larger than what the already very crowded facilities allow for, which hasn't been too much of an issue yet but I worry for the future. The cafeteria is about the size of a dorm room with very few options to choose from, there is usually always a vegetarian option though. People often work weekends or go home, so if you are looking for a party school I would again stay away. There is no greek life or sports but being an art school, I would say that is to be expected. The majors don’t get along with each other. I have noticed a good amount of the professors I have worked with to be outdated with their suggestions and some have a hard time giving any feedback whatsoever. Having had professors like this is the biggest reason I give MIAD a “below average” rating, as this is the most important aspect of college. To talk about the pros, being the small and “underdog” school that it is can work to your benefit if you learn to play it as such. Companies, in my experience, have jumped at hiring a hard working student, from a small school no one’s heard of, who busted their ass getting in the door rather than scooping some intern from a list that a university handed them. Milwaukee is a cool, beautiful, and very service industry based city, tons of festivals to enjoy if you find friends to go to them with. Summer is definitely the best time to be around though. The facilities at MIAD have some good equipment but like I mentioned above, can be broken due to a student's misuse pretty often so relying on them is hard. They do have check out centers where you can check out equipment you may not own. Photography studios to be checked out. There is a Blick across the street for supplies. It's a good school for someone who can make connections and things happen on their own and really just needs access to the tools and equipment to get there. If you are looking for anything more than that, I would suggest looking elsewhere.