Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee School of Engineering

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Milwaukee School of Engineering

Christopher

Most of my classmates are like myself, and enjoy working hard. Although there are some that have not challenged themselves during highschool and are not prepared for the strenuous and intense work load that a student MSOE has. After a quarter or two, most of the people remaining are people who want to be there, and like to work hard. Most of my classmates are not wild and don't love drinking and partying. Most of the students are more introverted and enjoy having fun in activities like video games and board games.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that once I leave to go to college, much of what I find familiar at that time will seem as though it was merely another chapter in a book that narrates my life. Going to college starts a new chapter in which I will be meeting new people, going new places and learning new things. Even though the life as a high school student will be a previous chapter, it doesn’t mean it can’t be revisited, the family, friends, and persons that you met will still be around, as well as the knowledge learned in those years may be useful later in life. Starting a new chapter just means there will be a different feeling or attitude about life as you are indeed an adult. As you progress through life you can look back on the previous chapters or years of your life and reminisce of fond memories, but take care to not get stuck in the past as you must keep moving forward and continue writing the story of your life.

If you attend this school, you have to understand that you will be focused on homework and school more than anything. Many times I will put in 10 hours to finish my homework and get a week ahead, only to get another 10 hours of homework the next day. You must be persistant and cannot give up if you don't understand something the first time through. You have to study, and review and lookover all the material. The school works on a trimester system with 10 weeks for each quarter, in which you must cover 16 weeks of material.

Leidy

When I was in high school the college advisor only took the kids with the high GPA or the kids that for some reason were more important I think. However I had never got to seat in the office of the college advisor and my only orientation was the annual meeting for seniors or juniors in the school. Attending this meeting I had learn that I had to have a high GPA, community service hours and a good score in the ACT and SAT. I did meet all the requirements except for the ACT and SAT scores. When I went talk to the college advisor she told me that my only option was to attend as publi8c community college, MDC. When I come to MDC for the first time I found out that I didn't need 300 hours of community service, I found out that I need to take the CPT, and the only good thing was that I had a good GPA. My advice is that you as a student should take care of yourself, don't wait for others to tell you want you need to do. Get on your feet and find out for tour self.

Amber

I would tell myself or any high school senior is use your time wisley at anyschool that you attend at. The better you use your time the more sleep and activities you can attend. This result will give you better grades and fun.

How to acess things better such as the laptops they gave ups. How to use the global network so we can stay connected at school.

That we are a eleven week program and they shouldn't complain about not going our or getting sleep. I also tell them about how cool the school is with helping everyone out.

Kimberly

Dear Kimberly, I wish you took highschool more seriously. I wish you studied harder and stopped joking about everything. I wish you joined more activities that would make your college transcript look good. I wish you worked harder on your art because working at Pixar was the only thing you wanted to truly do. You may not even get it now because you used to be so lazy. Right now you go to community college, always worrying whether or not you'll get into the art college you want to go to. Everyday you're afraid of not getting all the transfer credits you need to transfer and afraid that you'll be stuck in community college. As a child you were afraid and now that you're eighteen you're still afraid. Why didn't you work harder? Your parents paid so much money for your school and you took it for granted. Now I want to say that I'm going to do better than you. I'm going to grow and have a future. So I want to say thank you for making all those mistakes. Without them I wouldn't know what I want to do.

Amber

The biggest thing to know ahead of time about college, is you are going to get stressed out - a lot unfortunately. When education is your highest priority, and your grades really matter, even the smallest things can stress you out. Don't throw all your friends and everything else aside though, getting an education is important but so is having days where you can take a break, de-stress and just relax. Another thing to really do now that college life has taken place is participate more in the community, it's really important to make a name for yourself early on. The classwork/homework is all pretty similar to high school, but the tests can be harder. Choose your professors wisely and most of all - big projects you should most definitely not procrastinate on. I guess in generally, there are a few really important things. There's no order of siginifigance, just remember them all and college life will be a fun, learning adventure - not one you'll look back on with regret or a want to make it more fun.

Lisa

If I could go back to my first semester in college and give advice, I would say to myself "Get involved in a campus club as soon as possible." When I transitioned into college I found myself having trouble forming a community. I felt this way because my college has 16,000 students, and unlike in high school, you are in the same class for 3 to 4 months, and then you move on and could potentially never see any of those students again. This makes it difficult to get connected to campus, and made college seem fleeting at first. One day while walking on campus, there was a club fair going on and I joined Intervaristy Christian Fellowship. This changed my entire college experience. Suddenly, I was being connected with people with similar interests and instead of just going to class and then going home, I was building a true community. I also had more opportunities to practice leadership skills, network with people already in the professional world, and discover more about myself. I now know that joining a club was the most enriching decision I made, and it made the transition much smoother!

Nick

Every classroom is filled with students that are very intelligent, eager to learn, and were at the top of their high school class.

Milwaukee School of Engineering has an outstanding job placement rate and prepares you thoroughly for the future.

If I could go back in time and have a conversation with myself my senior year of high school, the first thing I would say is to live in the moment. Focus on soaking everything in from the senior year high school experience. The biggest thing is to keep school work first because that is what gets you to the next level of education. However, live your life and have a good time. Enjoy the time you have with your friends and family while you are at home. You will make so many new friends in college, but you'll have some of the greatest memories with your high school friends. Don't let any high school drama bring you down because it's all forgotten about in college. Most importantly, appreciate your mother because starting next year laundry and ironing is on you. Finally, every time you step on the field for Friday night football, give it your all and play like you know you won't ever play again after high school. That's the thing you'll miss the most.

Johanna

In college, it's so easy to be overcome by all the chaos; what's not so easy is standing steadfast and true to who you are and the person you want to be. It all is extremely analogous to the story of Daniel from the Bible. Kidnapped from his native land, he and a few other Israelites were given the rare opportunity to be educated, as their intelligence had impressed the king. They found themselves in a completely new environment, learning completely new things meant to introduce them to Babylonian culture and idols as well as structured education, a situation not at all unlike college. Daniel had three options: he could surrender completely and assimilate into this new culture and religion, he could completely reject it and remain shut up in his room, or he could fight it by actively interacting in a way that bespoke the person he wanted to be: a Christian. Whether or not you are religious, you have the same options in college as Daniel. It's up to you whether you surrender and lose yourself, reject it and miss out on the experience, or use it as an opportunity to become a stronger person.

Great location, compact campus, wonderful reputation: all of these things are true about MSOE and countless other universities around the globe. But what MSOE has that consistently eludes other schools can be summed up in a single word: future. This is not to say that its best attribute is its extraordinary placement rate--though it has one of the highest--nor that it prepares you for your future profession--though it certainly does. No, MSOE allows students a rare peek through the looking glass into a world of possibility, problem solving, and creativity. A future of their own design.

MSOE has the notorious reputation of being what many outside of engineering circles might nonchalantly dub a "tough school." But for those who walk its halls and fill its classrooms, this characteristic of "toughness" manifests itself in the constant struggle for supremacy that leaves more than a few packing their bags. It is this series of seemingly impossible hurdles that must be faced; therefore, the key ingredient for a successful MSOE student must be motivation. Motivation is what fuels perseverence and what drives success. With enough motivation, a mere student can achieve any goal or dream, even becoming an engineer.

Kristina

If I could go back to my high school years, I would give myself these bullet points to follow:•Fun is not the priority during school, there will be plenty of time to have fun after graduation, just think how old you will be? Plenty of time! Furthermore—you will be able to afford to have a real vacation, a real party, not just a bottle of bear in somebody’s 15-year-old car. •Don’t skip years! It is harder to come back to school when you have children waiting for you, husband or wife you want to spend your time with. It will be more painful to loose time with them than with your friends now.•Don’t fall into illusion of love! Your partner for life “qualifications” will change dramatically when you find your true self in the next few years.•You don’t have to drool watching others living prosperous life, driving expensive cars, living in front of the beach, -- graduate-- and you will have it too!•Choose friends with the same values and goals. •Get involved in your school; bring your own opinions and values to the classroom.•Just do it!

Milwaukee School of Engineering administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.