Mankato, MN
Minnesota State University-Mankato

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Minnesota State University-Mankato

Myra

My major is nursing and it requires a geography class. I don't think many schools care about geography anymore, but I still think it is very important for young adults to be knowledgable about different regions in the world and how all them affects us in the US. Another major reason why I choose MNSU was for the fact that they answered all my questions and even went further to help me figure out all the steps to starting my academic year. The MNSU Hub is a great resource for students.

While I was in high school, I made many mistakes. I made some horrible choices that included spending my money on materialist materials rather than saving a penny. I would highly encourage myself to stop and think about the struggles of supporting myself through the next four years. I would make it a point to say, " You're going to make a differance in the world, you better get started." I would tell myself that if I don't study, I would need to retake the class and pay for it, which would have surely convinced me to try harder. I would tell myself to go on less dates and focus on my future. I used live day by day which put me in a horrible situation in which I was dependent on someone else. My greatest advise to myself would be, "focus yourself to who want to be and always be independent."

Some of the classes are too big. I prefer small classes. Some professors only grade exams and it's hard to bring your grade up if you don't do well on exams.

Dylan

My classmates at Mankato are willing to lend a hand and always make the classroom environment very warm and friendly.

My high school teachers would always stress about how necessary taking good notes is and how college professors never stop and go back when you need it. Almost every teacher I had would say the same exact thing so I tended to zone out until they began talking about something else. This is why I thought that it was just some gimmick to keep me paying attention in class. Then I went off to college and realized everything they were saying was the truth. The professors do teach you all the necessary material but they often go at a rapid pace in order to squeeze as much information as they can into the day. This seems very unfair but they do have a schedule to maintain and it is not their fault. So, If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to start taking better notes and listen to what teachers had to say about them.

I think that all the clubs and organizations that Mankato has to offer is the best part about the university. They offer clubs for just about anything and if they don't have a club for something you like, it is not hard to start one. This makes students fit in a lot easier and also helps them make life long friends. One of the best services that I utilize is the tutoring centers on campus. They offer one on one tutoring for just about every subject which really helps the student learn the subject they need help with.

Lisa

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that the choices I make today will affect me tomorrow. In high school, I was more concerned with being popular than I was about my academic pursuits. I cared more about my clothes than I did about my grades. If I had put more effort into my grades, I could have made more opportunities for myself. I would also advise myself to filter what I put on social media. In high school, I put a lot of unnecessary, unprofessional and embarrassing information on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. I've learned now that anything posted on the internet never completely goes away, and things from the past can come back to bite you. If you wouldn't want your grandma or future employer to see something, then don't put it on the internet. Lastly, I would tell myself that it's never too late to turn things around. Maybe you got bad grades and made a couple mistakes, but don't give up on yourself! It's never too late to change.

When I tell my friends about Minnesota State University, Mankato, I brag most about how great the professors are. I have built long-lasting, quality relationships with all of my professors. The professors are incredibly qualified and passsionate about what they teach. If students are willing to put hard work into their education, then the professors are too. The professors are more than happy to spend their personal time writing letters of recommendation, editing essays, etc. for students. Overall, the professors are awesome.

The most frustrating thing about Minnesota State University, Mankato, is how expensive on-campus food is. On-campus food is way overpriced. This is especially frustrating for students who live on campus and don't have vehicles.

Kristy

Mankato was well known for being the Minnesota Vikings spring training location, their hockey team, and for being education focused.

No matter what you think college will be like, you can't truly prepare for what is to come. Moving out and being on your own is a lot different than you can plan for. You will be in charge of truly taking the reins on your life. Although mom and dad will never truly leave you to fend for yourself, this is like riding a bike for the first time. A little scary at first, but well worth it once you get on the open road. Make sure you become involved with extracurricular activies as early as your freshman year. This will help you to network and gain experience that will be invaluable as you continue through your education. This will also help you to relax. School work is important, but you need to set aside time for yourself or you will become overloaded with the weight of your classes. You need to stop and smell the roses along the way.

The best part of my school was the student government. While being a member I had the opportunity to meet with faculty, assist with the budget, and help be the voice of the college of allied health and nursing.

Tanya

Don't let your life be led by the person you're dating, don't rush it. Be more patient.

At the time there weren't any online courses and I was commuting almost an hour each way, so that would've been helpful.

Didn't always notify about cancelled classes due to weather, so I still commuted there not knowing it had been cancelled. And it was my only class of the day.

Nicholas

I would tell myself to attend school where it makes sense for you, and not to base that important of a decision on anyone else's assesment but your own. I would also tell myself to take more time to figure out a plan to decide on a major before picking out a university, because that should be a factor in any decision made regarding your education. Make sure you listen to the people that tell you that grades matter, because even if you don't plan on going to a university with high admission standards it will affect the type of financial aid, especially from the college, you receive. Most of all; have fun, because you're still in high school, and you don't have to worry about real problems for at least one more year.

I would say the best thing about this school is its centralized nature, and the acessibility associated with that centralization.

Matthew

Most of the things I would tell my high school self would regard life in general. Having been enlisted in the Marine Corps and being deployed whilst enlisted, I have been endowed with many truths about the world. First of all, I would tell my young self to finish high school and to study extra hard. Secondly, I would say to have fun while doing it and enjoy the little things in life. Not finishing high school is a bad start to a life that offers so much fulfillment. Without a diploma and the discipline to gain it, life can turn into an unforgiving clock. I did successfully complete the General Education Development (GED) tests. However, I believe I wasted a lot of valuable time that could have been spent in the progression of my life in the interim. Having fun in life is key to a successful and fulfilling life. I was once told, "You should not take life so seriously because you will never get out alive." This statement is more of an acknowledgment than advice. The point is, I have seen some difficult things but, out of the worst possible situations, people overcome adversity and remain happy.

There is a diverse population of students which coalesce to produce a unique perspective in nearly every sphere of influence. The reason for this is the vast dissimilarities each student carries with them.

I would recommend that students unwilling to obligate themselves to their future career need not attend to this university. There is a level of regard one must possess in order to succeed.

Serena

My school is liberal, conservative and socially engaging. We have seven main buildings, normal size campus, family- oriented atmosphere with small classroom sizes which encourages interpersonal and personal relationships between students and instructors.

If I could go back in time, back to when I was a senior in high school, I would give myself three major advices: I could have saved a lot of money by making smarter decisions before planning for college. Second, I would have taken advantage of college credit courses offer in high school like the PSEO program, or AP classes. Lastly, I would first figure out exactly what I want to do in college, before enrolling, to avoid wasting time and money. I say these because, not having enough money my freshmen year, caused me a lot of headache because I could not afford my books. Plus, before enrolling in college, I did not do a lot of research about the finances, so I had no idea how expensive college and textbooks can be. If I was smarter, I would have made this my first priority. Better yet, I would establish a savings account for college by saving $50 on every paycheck. Also, I would tell myself to take enough assessments or explore multiple careers to know exactly what I want to major in, in college. Finally, I should have focused on my academics instead of making friends.

The worst thing about Mankato is I don't think there is enough radicalism on campus, but part of that might be because I am not highly engaged in those communities. I have spent some time in the sociologist circles, and I just remember feeling so frustrated at how difficult it is to get other students to care about these prevalent and overwhelmingly important issues. That is the trade off for Mankato students being so busy and engaged in what they are doing-they often don't have time to be "sidetracked" by other important things you are doing.

Melissa

Minnesota State University, Mankato is a great, fun, and peaceful school!

Minnesota State University, Mankato is a great, fun, and peaceful school!

Time management is a huge thing in college and for the rest of your life. Be able to set important things as your first priority. Time doesn't wait for anybody and remember you have to beat time. If you don't, time will beat you and it'll be hard to get ahead of time. Always remember to ask questions when you are struggling. It's never wrong to ask a "stupid" question because there's no such thing that is a "stupid" question. Go on and ask and it will only help you even more with your task, goals, and dreams.

Coming to this University I didn't know much about myself. I didn't know what I had to do in order to succeed as a freshmen in college. High school environment is way different from how college life is. Some say it's the same but I say there's a new total feel and definitely a change to how you did/do things in high school. I wish I knew time management meant so much to you as a college student and for the rest of your life. First year of college has changed my life.

Donniesha

Minnesota State University, Mankato feels like a family, as if this is my home.

Minnesota State University, Mankato feels like a family, as if this is my home.

The unique thing about my school is that it is a small community. I know alot of schools say that but my school feels like one.

I would tell myself that I am stepping into another chapter of my life where I would need to use tools that I have gained from the last. One tool is speaking. I have never taken an interest of getting into know my professors. I would tell myself to get to know my professors; besides discussing grades professors can help open doors. I will tell myself not to wait until the last minute to ask questions or to ask for help. I want myself to know that she will find another diverse group of friends that will make her feel right at home. I will like for her to know that she finds a piece of herself every day.

Minnesota State University-Mankato administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.