Mankato, MN
Minnesota State University-Mankato

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Minnesota State University-Mankato

SHantasia

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. You’re playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” These words will help you remember that you are beyond capable of succeeding just utilize all the resources provided if needed. Never be afraid to communicate your struggles because there is always someone around who will be willing to help. You’re fighting hard in your classes? Good, don’t become a procrastinator just because you feel that your struggle has ended when it’s only beginning. You have the ability to make friends; Just don't dwell on what others are thinking. Then you will be just fine.

For those who are reading this, the food offered in the cafeteria can sometimes be undesirable because the lack of variety. However, Minnesota State University-Mankato provides opportunities for critiquing which students are able to address their personal issues about certain types of food being severed or the conditions that the food are in. Every other week, MSU-Mankato’s food marketer asks students their opinions on the food being served and how they can improve in order to meet and accommodate students’ needs/desires. In following, the cafeteria’s food became less repetitive and more enjoyable for us students.

Minnesota State University-Mankato caters to their students. Their compassion are shown through things such as free 30 minute massages to relieve stress/anxiety, free bus fare/discounts by presenting our Mavcards, free lap top rentals, free washing machines in laundry rooms etc. They even offer an on campus day care center for students who have children. They make it their duty to provide enough resources so that their students can maintain getting education which illustrates they really care about their students succeeding. With all being said, I am beyond grateful for being a student at Minnesota State University-Mankato.

If I could return to myself a year ago as a high school senior, I would tell myself to just focus on the future. I would tell myself to not be so wrapped up in high school, because in a few short months, I would be getting my diploma and I would not be looking back. If I had heard that advice last year, I would have immersed myself deeper in the Post-Secondary Education Option program at Minnesota State University and registered for more classes. This advice would entice me to look further into what I needed for my major through the University, and I could have taken classes that would have applied more directly to graduating earlier. This advice would have also helped me realize that I could take any class that I would want to for fun, which is something that I could not do within my high school.

The best thing about Minnesota State University is the diversity of classes. The ability to choose classes that may be interesting, instead of taking classes because those are the only ones offered is a new concept to me. In high school, there was a narrow path in which I could take in order to stretch my learning capacity, and this lead me to PSEO at Minnesota State University, where I could take classes because I wanted to.

The worst thing about Minnesota State University is that it is hard to find professors that care about where their students are going. Often times, I walk into a lecture hall and even a classroom where the professor will speak for an hour or two and leave immediatly after the lecture. He/she is not interested inhow the students are coping in their class or how they can personally help students.

Marjean

Most of us were in our mid thirtys'. Our classes were small and we had a great time together.

Make sure that you know exactly what field you want to work in. Do your research into that field to make sure it is a profession that is in demand. College is a expensive education that is the base for your profession. Do not waste your time or money just to party, take your education seriously.

I was not surprised by any thing. My academic advisor was very explanatory about my degree studies and the campus. One surprise was that the Vikings used our campus for Spring training. Fun to watch,

Tori

Everyone is different, some people really care about their education while others don't seem to put in the effort but everyone seems really nice.

Everything will be okay. Everyone else is in the same position you are leaving home for the first time. I would tell myself to get involved and meet as many people as you can. Don't sit around and wait for something to happen, you have to make it happen. I would also tell my self to bring a backpack because you will really need one!

I wish I would have known about the social aspect of the college. A lot of people consider this college a party school and I might have been more leary about coming here than I was when I initially applied.

Chariss

First of all, I would encourage myself to take the ACT over again. I realize that an ACT score is not everything, but it can help when it comes to getting sccholarships. Also, I would tell myself to be more prepared for transferring into a four year university. Even though I went to a two year college right after college, I would tell myself not to wait to prepare. It is a difficult process transferring into a four year college and the more prepared you are the better you will do and excel.

i would definitely have warned myself that that college will be a big change, even though i thought it wouldnt be. i think that this is important because when you come to a college campus it is a very different world. when i first came here i thought that it was going to be fun and studies. but, i got caught up in all the activites my freshman year that i forgot about school. my first semester my GPA was lower than what it should have been. so if i would go back and talk to myself as a senior, i would tell myself to not get caught up in boys, or in all the activites and to make sure that i focus on my school work.

i do no really think that there is anything that i wish i would have known. maybe having to pick something, i would pick that i wish i would have known what my major was going to be because i think that it is a very important thing for everyone to know when going to a university because once you get here and maybe have an idea of what you want to do, you see all the other options and then get confused. so i wish i would have know this before i started school.

when you get a professor that does not understand how you learn, and they only go by what they want to go by. when they do not go or take your ideas to maybe help the class a little more if there is something that is unclear to everyone.

Kathryn

Here is some advice from me as a college student now, going back in time to tell me as a High School senior about the transition into college. 1. Be ready to have roommates. Your room is not only yours. You have to learn to share. 2. You can not take all your clothes to college with you. 3. Don’t forget to bring your pillow back to college with you when you take it home on breaks. 4. Be flexible, be ready to do whatever needs to be done. 5. Be willing to pray out loud. 6 Be ready to go to class at 8 o’clock in the morning. 7. Get your drivers licenses so you can drive, and not use other people to take you places. 8. If you have a problem with someone go to that person and ask for forgiveness from them.

Laura

Minnesota State University, Mankato is the perfect size to be a part of something big and still know and recongnize several students in all of your classes.

Do not be scared of change. Change is inevitable and can be a good thing. Transitioning into college is a positive step in life and will prepare you for your future as an adult and in your career. It is not as scary as you think. Have fun and enjoy the ride!

Someone who is easy going and likes to be social should attend this school.

Nancy

Nancy, I know that you have a lot of pressure being the first in the family to graduate and furthur your education, but you have to have faith in yourself and quite doubting if you can do it or not. The classes are going to be longer but you only take it once or twice a week. Everything will be okay, and you will not only make mom proud but grandma and grandpa. The secret is to learn to have faith in yourself and work hard.

Kaylin

MSU is diverse and full of opportunities for its students.

MSU is diverse and full of opportunities for its students.

Don't worry. Seriously. You should be focused and hard working, but don't stress yourself out. Not worrying does not mean that you should be lazy or careless, but it is important to remember that worrying doesn't get you anywhere. It's hardwork and a postive attitude that really matter. With those two things, you'll make it through your first semester, and beyond. Also, be friendly. There are so many people around you from so many walks of life. If you take the time, you can learn more about the world from your fellow students than you can ever be taught in a classroom. So, high-school-senior-Kaylin, remember: when you get to college, don't worry and be friendly.

I wish I had known that MSU lacks sufficient housing for all of its students.

Minnesota State University-Mankato administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.