Minnesota State University Moorhead Top Questions

Carl

When you start college you need make sure you have time to study. Girls are fun, drinking is fun, but it will get you into a lot of trouble. So save your nights out partying and study instead. If we would of done this when we first strated college we would of graduated already and be working on that masters degree that we want.

Make sure you are ready to grow as a person. College is not a contiunation of high school it is the next step in discovering who you are and how you fit into the world. It is a time to discover what is important to you and how you plan to incoproate these discoveries into your world. While you might think college is for you right out of high school it may not be, take time to look at all of your options so you can make the best choice for you and no one else.

I would give myself the advice that no matter how much you want to hang out with your friends and be lazy it takes a lot of effort to get through the first year of college. You have to really tell yourself that it is all worth it in the end. The effort you put into the courses will make you feel better in the end once you get back the results. It isn't going to be easy to get through it but you have to learn to tough it out. Once you have that diploma in your hand and walk off that stage, you're an adult and have to start acting like one. Don't worry if you don't figure it out right away, it takes time, but you have to willing to put everything you have into it. Also, last piece of advice, work comes in handy so work when you can.

Katrina

Do not let anyone in high school who is bringing you down allow you to feel lowly about yourself. You have turned out to be an amazing and popular student at college because of your sense of humor and kind heart. You do not need to hang on to David forever because you meet someone better than him and closer. Granted, he moves, but at least he agrees to be your boyfriend and stay loyal to you until you graduate and move down to Florida with him. Also, do not fret about that elective class that you failed one semester. Dad was wrong, he said you shot yourself in the foot and look at me, your future self, who is in college as a Psychology major. Exceed his expectation and make him feel stupid for saying rude things about you. You are better than what he thinks, and you will have friends and a boyfriend to tell you that and reassure you of that truth. Continue to talk to Joe: he's a big help on making you feel better. Most importantly, remember that Mom will always be there for you through thick and thin. Good luck, and have fun.

Bridget

I would tell myself to calm down a bit and that there is nothing wrong with taking a rest now and again. I have learned some things while here and I would wish to share them, because I was rather high-strung when I initially got to MSUM. Telling oneself to relax just a bit, so one doesn't burn oneself out is generally a good idea. Along with that, I would possibly try to tell myself that, though psychology is a rather branching field, it really is worth it, for I had a few misgivings initially with being a psychology major when I first decided that would be my major during high school.

Cecelia

Although at times it might seem like the work overload is too much to bear, stick with it because in the end, the grades are worth it. If you don't work as hard as you can, then in the future you will regret not working towards your fullest potential. Remember not to overwork yourself though, and get some sleep. Remember what that word means? It's a glorious thing that you shouldn't take advantage of. It will help you keep a clear mind so that you can do your work and life more alert and awake so that you can enjoy it more. Also, don't be scared to try the clubs that they have there, because you will meet many great friends that will help you through your coursework and that will share fun times with you. Relax, do you schoolwork, and have a great time!

Maite

The best advise for myself as a highschool school student would be to learn how to balance life. The learning process of life does not consist of only succeding academically. Do not take life too seriously, but never forget to follow the rules and continue the path to your goals. Be able to spend time with your loved ones without forgetting to get your work done. Most importanly, don't forget to dance. This is your time to be a teen-ager. Dancing will keep you healthy physically and psychologically. Last but not least, sleep. The real responsibilities will come later in your life. Don't sacrifice your rest time for a trending TV shows, social networks, or even studying too much. Learn to take care of your mind and body without interfering with your goals and relationships.

If I could transfer back into time to my senior year in high school, I would tell myself to try my best with all of the school work and the homework handed out. I would tell myself that the ACT test is an important test that will follow you throughout college. I would also say to study hard for the ACT and to pase myself through it. When I was in high school, I didn't take the test seriously and I scored low. Now, because of it, I have to take a math course through the technical college. The advice I would give myself if I could go back in time would be to take the ACT test more seriously and to actually study for it.

One of the first things I would tell myself is to start scholarships right away. There was never a "too soon" period that I thought existed. With each scholarship earned, there would have been less money needed to be received from alternative sources. This would me less loans and less money out of pocket. Furthermore, this would mean less stress; I would have saved myself the worry of whether or not I would be able to finish a full year of college. Another point I would make to myself is that college is nothing like high school. Individuals are more free to express themselves in college and to ultimately be themself. Therefore, there was no need for the worry that I would be different and therefore and outcast. College came through in every part I had hoped it too. Now it is simply up to me to come through and finish my education.

Sierra

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a highschool senior, there are three things I would say. First, don't be afraid to make friends and meet new people. Friends can be extraordinary resources and loads of help when you need it most. There are times at college when you'll never feel more alone... leaving your old high school friends behind, your family, and your pets. It can be rough on even the toughest of souls. Having friends to cheer you up and make you laugh along the way is extremely valuable. Second, take time for yourself. Take time away from the studying, reading, researching, and late nights. Yes, grades are important, but not as important as your physical and mental health. Most people take their health for granted - including me, but not anymore. After being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis the summer of my freshman year at the ripe old age of 19, I learned to take advantage of the few days I felt healthy and pain free. A grade is something you forget about in a week, but your body is irreplaceable. Take care of it. Lastly, just go and experience life.

Academics is number one! Go to every class and be awake and prepaired. Friends will always be there, class is the most important. I would also remind myself to stick with it. It may seem overwhelming and tough, but anything worth doing is!

MIchelle

I would tell myself to relax. At the start of the year I was so nervous because I was the only person from my graduating class attending MSUM. I would tell myself that yes, not knowing anybody in a new place is very scary but also to suck it up and go introduce yourself to people because you will meet great people and make amazing friends. I would also tell myself to not skip class for any reason. It is possible to do well while skipping class but you are paying for it so you should attend every class and get your moneys worth in knowledge. It also makes the professors feel better when they have all of their students attend every class, and when the professor is happy everybody is happy.

First of all I would tell myself - GET your assignments done on time! Don't get behind and try to do it all at one time, it is too over whelming. Stay on track and put your full attention in to your work. Next, start applying for scholarships as soon as they are open. If you don't have the money to pay for college, get those scholarship papers in and if you are lucky enough to have a job- SAVE YOUR MONEY, or at least half for college. College is expensive so if you don't want to be paying for your education for the next 30 years- start saving and apply for all the grants, scholarships, and finacial help you can. The last thing- Matt do better than your best in your classes. Grade do matter! Study, study, study! But remember you are a Senior and have a life, so be involved in school activites. Remember this is the best year - your senior year, work hard, and play hard.

You need to break out of your shell! The college experience is different for everyone, and it is up to you to make it how you want. Orientation weekend is the best weekend for some people, but it wasn't for me: I wasn't open enough to the new people I met. My advice for that time is to just be friendly to everyone, and let them know you want to hang out with them. After that, I realized how great the dorm life really was. It is important to make good relationships with your RA, and everyone else on your floor: they have become my good friends! Another thing that has made my college life great is to get involved in groups and/or organizations. It is great to gain experience, and more great friends! It will take practice to balance all the new things, like classes, friends, and organizations, but it is worth it!

Carpe Diem, seize the day! I woudl tell myself to live life to the fullest it seriously is a beautiful and short jouney that needs to be cherished and college is a huge life enrichment. I have done the most growing in myself over the past 3 years and I am a better individual with the growth I have done. That has all been with the experiences I have gone though, leadership positions, advisers, professors, bosses, co-workers on campus, and a great major and friends within the major. I would tell myself to make mistakes and keep making them that is how we know we are alive and working towards something, without falling we wouln't know how to get back up on our feet. Each and every circumstance in life teaches us something and we take wisdom from it. I woudl tell myself to live with passion deep meaning and love as many things as possible and don't be afraid of hurt, pain and rejection if people don't like you for who you are then that is a clear indication you don't need to surround yourself with them. Find happiness in the simple things.

Haven

I would tell myself that I am just as deserving of a college ecucation as anyone else. While we may have some people in our lives who say that we can't do it and family unwilling or unable to help us, there are still options out there. People on campus are more helpful than one might think. They key to success is realizing any college experience is what you make it. Use the resources campus offers and don't be afraid to ask for answers to your questions. After all, that is the campus staff's job. You don't have to figure out every little thing for yourself, but take the initiative to know what questions you need or want to ask. Also, look into the surrounding environment of your campus for related costs such as seasonal expenses, public transportation, utility costs, and housing. Also get to know your school's community so you can not only utilize its services, but so you can also contribute through volunteer opportunities that are offered. You'll find you usually get back way more than you give, so take it as a personal challenge to see how you can improve yourself.

Mackenzie

Make new friends. Yes, the ones you had in high school were great and you can still stay in contact with them, but let them go. This college is going to take up four years of your life, and it is crucial to get out and meet new people. Don't be afraid to say "Hi" and scoot in to a chair next to someone. The worst that can happen is they'll give you a weird look and walk away. The key to being happy while away from home is finding people you enjoy being with. You probably won't end up staing friends with some of the first people you meet, but that's okay. You are a social person deep down inside, and let yourself crack out of that defensive shell you have created. Ask for people's numbers, talk to your surrounding classmates, tell stories, make jokes (even if they're not good, you can at least laugh at yourself and relieve the tension). It's going to be one of the hardest things you'll have to do in college but I can promise you, it will pay off in the end. Good luck, Mackenzie

Relax and let the cards fall where they may.

There are many choices that one has to make on a daily basis; you have to decide what to wear, what to eat, how to spend your money, and when to go to bed. But one of the biggest questions that you have to ask yourself at 18 is to continue on with a higher education or not. College was a great experience for me because I meet very influential people, learned many valuable lessons, and learned how to educate students to be healthy and fit. Through my college career, I worked with many young professionals and professors who had the same love for physical activity and health as I did. I was able to learn from all the influential people around me and take life lessons with me for the rest of my life. With my valuable lessons and great education, I was able to get a job teaching physical education right out of college. I am currently teaching middle school physical and health education. I have a great job where I get to interact with influential adolescents and help instill lifelong values and skills that students can use now and for the rest of their life.

Becca

I have been given the opportunity to grow and to expand my epxeriences.

When I was in high school, I was the art kid in a small town. So of course, everyone would stare at my work and say things like “You’re so good!” and I wasn’t able to receive valuable critique. I was always afraid that I was just big in a small town, and that when I got to college I would get discouraged or feel I wasn’t good enough to have a career in art. Now that I am here, I know that is not the case. My professors have shown me my strengths and weaknesses in art and I have improved so much. Instead of feeling depressed after critique, I learn a little each time. In fact, feedback from professors and success in my classes has inspired me to start thinking about illustration as another career option. I have always been set on graphic design, but now that I’m here I see many opportunities lying before me. Overall, MSUM has encouraged me to be enthusiastic about art and the choices I have, and to work hard to achieve my dreams. I can’t wait to see what the future brings!

I have only completed one semester of college thus far, but I have learned so much already. I've gained new friends and going to school gave me an outlet to start over. I tackled many obstacles such as moving out, getting a job, and being on my own. Going to college has given me the opportunity to grow intelectually and physically. I gained some good study and work habits. I am much smarter with how I spend my money as well. College is very valuable. I have seen the change in who I am as a person. It gives me something to work towards, which would be a career. I've been able to see that my parents work hard for their money, and I've gained much more respect for my family. I also live in the dorms and have learned to accomodate with others and try my best to be easy to get along with. College is honestly the best thing I have ever done in my life.

I have majored in anthropology since day 1 of college, and it's been worth every minute. I am very fact-based, preferring to debate my professors and peers instead of accepting fallacious logic. But what I get from the debate, especially in class where everyone can discuss and work to a common goal, is critical thinking skills. I am very active in international student organizations, of which there are many on campus, and I have friends all over the world who have exposed me to many different viewpoints. I believe the world is full of bad ideas, and I want to use the holistic methods of reasoning I have learned in my education to replace those bad ideas with good ones. I want to understand other cultures, and fully intend on experiencing them firsthand.

Getting the most out of a college experience is important, and already I feel I will be getting the most out of mine because of the University I chose. Minnesota State University Moorhead has provided me with opportunities that weren't even offered to me in high school. I have been given a chance to study topics that interest me and that keep me wanting to learn, with professors who try to get to know me as an individual-- even with a class size of over sixty students (which I'm happy to say is my largest class). My time here has helped to reinforce my decision to get a degree in Music Industry (a unique program to MSUM) as I am already taking courses that will help me succeed in this field- and it fascinates me. The opportunites that MSUM has provided me far surpass the opportunites I had in high school, and with the help of the encouraging professors and my fellow students, I feel I have made the right choice in coming to MSUM-- not only to further my education, but to teach me the skills to be successful in everything I do.

Jeff

I always hold fast to what a very wise professor once said, and I belive in it whole heartedly. He said that education turns people into human beings.

My college experience has been the foundation for personal and professional growth. It began when I was 18 years old and has continued for 30 years in the field of nursing and now education. Coursework in nursing gave me the background knowledge and skills to care for the person in body, mind and spirit. Seventeen years later, the change to K-12 educational studies led me to further understand the process of effectively facilitating children's learning. Studies in both fields complimented one another and led to a greater understanding of the role multiple disciplines have in the education of children and the support of their families. Persons in areas of health, education, social services, counseling and educational leadership collaborate to create the support for children, families, and one another's professional growth. My continued college experiences have been supported by colleagues, the children and families I work with, as well as my own family. It has been a self-fulfilling experience that has been self-directed and transformational. My continued studies will enable me to assist other adults in fulfilling their interests and purpose through education, ultimately using my philosophy in education to reach more elementary students and families.

Lacey

My college experience has been valuable to me because it's been very flexible with my schedule when I had my daughter. Now I'm in a full-time program and it's very hands on and has helped me learn much more than just sitting in a classroom.

What I have gotten out of my college experience is that education is a major key to success. I'm working hard to be the best that I can be. I also pay for my college education myself. I have gotten over fears of giving speeches infront of a crowd because the class does not judge who you were but who you are going to be. I believe that everyone should attend college because the more you can learn the better your future will be.

The best thing i have gotten from college is Education. Education changes people, and it has changed me. Ever since i graduated i felt a new person coming to the service. I have met so many people with different ideas that have made me think different. i have learned to become open minded about situation i never thought i would think twice. i feel like a new person since the summer of my graduation. In highschool i wasn't very studious because everything came easy to me. Morever, in College i have noticed that if you study you will get your rewards and if you don't you will see the consequences. College has encouraged me to aim for anything i want because i know i will get it with hard work.

miche

Take elective courses that interest you and are outside of your major. Play or watch varsity and intramural sports. Go out to clubs and bars frequented by students. Eat at the campus and town hot spots. Explore the fraternity and sorority scene to see if it's for you. Read the books, magazines and papers that students talk about most. Stay up late at night discussing controversial topics with friends. Attend special lectures, panels, speeches, plays and/or concerts. Ride a bike and walk around campus. A lot.Listen, play, sing and/or dance to music often. Study in a foreign country for a quarter or semester. Join a student group that is passionate about something. Protest something at least once. Take wild spring break trips. Go to professors' after-hours sessions to ask questions.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself there would be many things I would mention. The first thing I would tell myself is that in a year from now you will be going to school in Moorhead and hate about everything about it, and come December you will start to look for a new school. I would then go into detail about what I dislike about school. I would first let myself know that my first roommate is a sweetheart but she likes to party and I don't get to see her as often as I would have liked. I would next make sure to mention that buying your books online is the way to go becasue it is a lot cheeper than the bookstore. The next bit of advice to be shared is that a majority of the people on campus are very liberal and that I would not agree with many of their beliefs, which would cause more sturggles. And last but not least I would be sure to explain to myself that the first week I am on campus is the time to make friends because after that it just gets harder.

There are a few things that I would say to my highschool self. First of all, take advantage of the dual-credit opportunities available at your local community college. Get some of the general requirements out of the way during your Junior and Senior years of highschool so that you will have more opportunities to get involved on campus when you start college. It saves time, energy, and money. Secondly, make a list of what is most important to you in a university. Some ideas might include: location and distance from home, size of campus and how spread apart it is, academic programs, student organizations, etc. Next, take as many campus tours as you can. Travel to each school you are thinking about applying to. This may not seem very important, but it is! You just can't get what you need in order to choose without seeing it for yourself. Once you start college, get involved!!!! Participate in dorm activities. Check out student organizations and academic clubs. This is where you will meet people who share similar interests and beliefs. This has seriously made the most important contribution to my university experience.

Over the past 25 years I thought countless times, ?If only I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would have made the right decisions the first time?. I went to college the fall after graduating at the top of my high school class. College was a time in my life full of firsts; it was the first time I did not live with my parents, my first checking account, the first time I was completely responsible for my actions, the first time I skipped class, the first time I stayed out all night drinking (night after night), the first time I had sex (and with someone I didn?t even know), the first time I got an ?F?, the first time on scholastic probation, and the first time I was suspended from anything in my life. As a result I went through loan repayment, marriage, motherhood, and life struggling for all I have. It took me 25years to get back to college. I see now, I could not have understood, as a high school senior, the impoverishment as a result of my choices in college; but I sure do this time.

I would tell myself to take my time and not over load myself with credits the first semester. I would also tell myself that to talk a little load but still be a full time student and talk general classes to help the transition from high school to college. I would also tell myself to follow my heart on the decision of the school I should go to. Do not be scared and know that this will be the time of your life where you test yourself and you turn into the person that you?re going to be for the rest of your life. What ever you do just follow your heart and the best will follow. That was the biggest mistake I made was that I did not listen to my heart and just logically thought it out.

Roza

Looking back and remebering my college years, I would advice myself to work less outside of campus (of course if I could have the financies) and focus more in taking classes and getting involved with school. I do not believe I expreience college as an ordinary student would do, because I came from a different country and when I was 22 I had my own Primary Foster Care. I enjoyed the work I did, but it was very challenging to combine respponsibilities at work and the class load. However, I would not change anything because it was a great experince for me.

Kassie

One thing that I would want High Schooler's to know is to try as much as possible to not have a job your freshman year. I never realized how much more I studied when I did not have a job. Also, never let your social life get in the way of your studies, if you need to study on a Saturday, you are not a nerd!

College is hard. It isn't like high school anymore, where I can get good grades and a high GPA by listening in class. College requires studying, and dedication to whatever classes you take. One of the most important things that I could tell myself though, is to enjoy high school. The senior year is stressful and complicated when it comes to deciding what you want to do for your life, and what school to go to. Relaxing is the key, go into something you like, and if you switch your major during school, you won't be the first one to do that. If you do something you like, and go somewhere you're comfortable, then college will be a great experience. Learn to balance schoolwork, a job, and your social life so that you aspire in all of those aspects. Lastly, be yourself. College may be a great time to create a new image, but if you get tired of wearing a mask for others, than you become a different person to them. Let people like you for who you are, and who you're comfortable being. Learn to like living in your own skin.

Make as many friends as you can right away, and avoid having a serious relationship at least for your first year. Get involved in as many different things as you can on campus when you first arrive and find out what you like. Be sure to attend group help sessions and study groups, sometimes learning from others around you teaches you more than the classroom ever could. Be friendly with your professors and go to them for help, prove to them you want to learn. Their trust and respect is extremely valuable down the road. Always go to class, even if you don't feel like it, the days you skip could be the most important. Be open to new ideas, but also be critical. Don't believe everything you are told, investigate for yourself. Take advantage of research opportunities. Make time for studying, that's what you're here for.

Melynda

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, the first thing I'd tell myself is that the friends you have in high school may not still be your friends in college, so you shouldn't worry so much about how crappy some things have gotten. The next thing I'd say to myself is GET YOUR STUFF DONE ON TIME. I never had a problem turning assignments in in high school or even in college, but things like loans and scholarships are what need to get done in a timely fashion. Finally, I would tell myself to just enjoy life and everything that comes with it, because you'll never get this time back and these are definitely the best years of your life.

I would tell myself to just relax. Take things one day at a time. Things are only as difficult as you make them, so be aware of your souroundings and make the best of these situations. Get involved. It might seem lame to do some of these things, but you will never regret your involvment. The only thing you will regret is not getting involved enough. Try your best and do anything you want to do. Nothing is holding you back!

Blayne

I would tell myself to pay attention, and go to class. It's not as easy as one would think. To get ready for the best time of my life, and the hardest.

Alia

The first year of school goes by extremely fast. I would tell my past self to slow down and make sure to pay attention and enjoy the entire experience.

I would advise my high school senior self not to make best friends or join a group or people too quickly when I arrive at college. It is better to be friendly to everyone and see which friendships develop. Spend equal amounts of effort on the different friendships, instead of focusing on one or two people. As you get to know people better, you may discover that they are not as compatible with you as you had originally thought, and that other people, who you dismissed earlier on, would make really good friends. It is more difficult to build a friendship with a person you have known only casually for a long while, than it is in the beginning when everyone is new and looking to build friendships. Also, write down the dining hall meal times and schedule a time in your day to eat, so that you make sure you get to eat before the dining hall closes. A few days of a rumbling stomach is not fun. Also, make your planning diary your new best friend; it's going to save your life in college. There are too many assignments and meetings to remember on your own.

Paula

I wouldn't live at home. As much money as it saves, it really slows down the involvement at school. In high school I did everything; I was in every club, sport, and leadership programs. But at my non-traditional college, not only do other students not reach out to meet new people and make new friends, but as soon as class is over I just want to go home.

Kacy

Concentrate on academics and not my social life. Focus and study hard.

For the entire duration of my college career I have had to work mostly two jobs to get by. This has decreased the amount of time I could have spent expanding my education and taking classes that I wanted to take instead of ones solely for my major or my general education. I came to this school as it was just starting a new liberal arts program which made things more difficult. If I could have afforded it, I would have gone to a school further from my hometown so that I could have had more opportunities to experience new things. If I could go back I think I would have wanted to be more active, but again with work it made it difficult. I also think I would have picked a major that would have better facilitated finding a job. All in all, I have made some great friends and learned about myself, I think the only way to do that is just to go in head first and learn from each experience.

Alia

Take the time to slow down and pay attention to and enjoy what is going on around you.

shawn

Don't wait forever to go. It's not like highschool, and it's actually fun learning when your doing it for yourself and not because your being forced to go. There will be a few tough classes but as long as you go to class and make an honest effort you can get through it "just don't quit", and most importantly the hardest part about school is getting correct answers " be persistant and don't give up until you are convinced that you got the right answer

Cheri

I gave myself the best advice from the get go--think outside of the box and be optimistic! Yes, there are times when college gets rough and both socially and academically you may struggle, but you're doing it for a reason. I was right in not taking my full-ride volleyball scholarships as academics are the most important and you need time to be involved on campus. I would say that just being open to a brand new experience is the basic mindset a new student needs.

Alia

I would tell my self to breathe and try very hard to stay calm when trying new things. And i was also tell myself to remember as much and take as many pictures as i can because everything goes by so fast.