Minnesota State University Moorhead Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Minnesota State University Moorhead

Courtney

I appreciate the lengths professors go to for their students. I feel so welcome on campus and I know that I can achieve my degrees with their support. I also have been able to adjust my class sizes as needed due to me being a working mom and I still meet the required classes for my degree.

Rachael

I really enjoyed going to school there. The campus was small and the teachers I had were friendly. No vehicles drive around campus and there are three roads that divide campus (main where classes are, dorms, and athletic facility). Class sizes were usually small. They also had many campus activity nights that were fun to go to.

Danielle

The school has average ratings, however is very affordable. The great advantage of being at MSUM is the ability to leverage the tri-college school agreement; meaning you can take classes at MSUM, NDSU, and Concordia College 1 time a semester for the same cost as your "home school" tuition.

Kendra

It's a good school but I feel like the arts here are pretty weak. I feel like we could be more engaged in the classroom, but sometimes it just feels like most of the information I've learned here, has come from a book. Some of the professors are great, but there is much room for improvement.

Max

This college is one of the best universities in Minnesota. I've met some amazing and interesting people. The professors are awesome and would do almost anything to help you learn and if they can't, they will point you in the right direction. The only thing I don't like about this college is that they charge every little thing and make everyone live on campus and pay for a meal plan. I didn't like that, but whatever. Still a good school.

Julia

For the most part, the faculty are committed to their students both in and out of the classroom. They care about more than just what you plan to do with the rest of your life; they want to know about your day and your thoughts and opinions. The meal plan is worth it simply because it allows you to meet other students and it's a great way to socialize. The food could definitely be better though. The campus and buildings as a whole could be more wheel chair accessible. Though MSUM does have accommodations for those with learning disabilities, The program itself is extremely ineffective. Students have to readjust their schedules each semester for these accommodations and they don't go into effect until at least two weeks into the semester, meaning they don't really offer them for the first couple of weeks. There's a lot of talk of not tolerating sexual harassment on campus but not a whole lot of outlets for victims to go to to get help. If you pay for the parking pass, it comes with free car starts in the winter and they also unlock your car. Their cameras are not all effective as people have had items stolen or damaged and the cameras that were at the scene weren't pointed in the right direction. They preach diversity and inclusion but only really offer clubs you can join if you are a minority, Of course these clubs operate in your free time and have no effect in the classroom setting. Many of the individuals on campus are ignorant and some of the professors are gender normative. Many of them are sexist. For preaching diversity, they are a majority white school. If there is a practice you disagree with within the institution, there really isn't anything you can do about it. MSUM's highers ups will use their positions of power (and their privilege in holding those positions) against and over you to make sure you know your voice is of little importance. Although most people don't judge you for your sexual orientation, gender, ability etc, they don't necessarily acknowledge it. They treat their professors as less than and also make sure they know their voice doesn't matter too much. Mental illness is not taken very seriously and it is up to each professor to decide how they wish to treat mental illnesses, making the student accommodate even more when it is the institution that should work with them. There's posters about equality and trauma and being patient with individuals going through personal things but no talk. Trauma is known to affect someones information processing differently, but there are no accommodations for those who it affects. MSUM is also not prepared enough , or understanding enough, to be flexible when things happen outside of school that take students away from the classroom for a while. Not to mention, this is also up to professors to decide how to handle. Professors can be very egotistical and undermining. If you miss class, many professors will require you to tell them why--which is understandable to a point. There are just some things that students can't talk about for their mental or emotional stability. But if you don't want to fail, and this is a professors methods, you don't really have a choice.

Jaiden

I like MSUM because it is small enough to walk easily to class, even in the Winter! I like MSUM because it is big enough to meet someone new every day. MSUM is a safe campus because of the way the buildings outline the campus placing the majority of students in the middle which is a yard, transitioning to and from buildings. Finally, former graduates share that MSUM will support graduates as they pursue employment.

Rebecca

I absolutely love my school. Everything from the professors to the programs and the people to the location. It is a very homey and welcoming campus and people often say high to each other as they pass. Honestly, I think this campus is like the ones you see in movies.

Flurian

I honestly love MSUM! Just everything about it is great. MSUM would be a great college to attend! The professors are truly nice and care for your success. The students are very willing to help you with anything you need. All you need to do is ask someone for help, and they will be willing to do so.

Madison

Minnesota State University Moorhead is a great school with many opportunities within the school and the surrounding community. In general, professors truly care about their students and want them to be successful. The professors are also easy to connect with as they always hold regular office hours. On campus living is convenient and an easy way to connect with other students.

Braden

Overall, I find it to be a fairly acceptable college for anyone interested in music and the arts. And even if you are not, there is still plenty of reason to come here. The campus provides a rather safe feel, and the students all seem happy and willing to chat and talk if you give them a moment. The food at Kise can get a little dull after a while, but thankfully there are plenty of places on and off campus to get a bite to eat. a grocery store is just a few blocks down, and so are quite a few fast food joints. I won't say it's a perfect college, but it is far from the worst.

I am a freshman here at Minnesota State University Moorhead and I love every minute of it! I am currently majoring in Early Childhood Education with the hopes of teaching Kindergarten one day. I believe I am getting a fantastic teaching education here at MSUM. We have one of the best teaching programs in the state for sure. The atmosphere is awesome and all of the professors are very friendly!

Rebecca

I love my school and I am proud to be apart of it. I know that I will be an Alumni who comes back for homecoming and I will raise my kids wearing the logo. It is a small, beautiful friendly campus that makes people fall in love and for good reasons.

Toni

As a student who has just completed my first year of school at MSUM, I have loved it. My classes have been overall amazing, I have made many connections with almost all of my professors, and the opportunities made available for me are almost endless. I wouldn't choose anywhere else for me.

Tatelyn

I love this school. The school has great faculty and they are always around to help you when you need them. The campus size is small which makes it easier to get around from class to class. I feel very safe and comfortable on campus. There is always something fun and exiting going on.

Blake

I love MSUM its a great place call home in my eyes! The class sizes are perfect, the student life is great and you always have some type of extra curricular activity on campus you can partake in. Everyone I've encountered has been very kind and welcoming. 10/10 Great place!

Lindsey

It's small, so it's a bit lacking in some areas, but overall seems to have quality facilities and professors. My favorite aspects of the university are its extensive library and its overall very high level of inclusion and respect towards LGBT students. My biggest (minor) complaints are 1.) small issues with the effectiveness of the university's bureaucracy, 2.) the mediocre cafeteria selection, and 3.) the limited religious diversity on campus. I feel safe here, though campus life could be more exciting.

Aeriana

Minnesota State University Moorhead is a very welcoming community. MSUM has a good variety of majors and minors for you to choose from. If you are looking for small class sizes and want your professors to know you by name and not just a number this is a great college. The dining center, Kise, is not the best due to having the same thing almost everyday. However, there are other dining options on campus that are delicious and you can use your dragon dollars and not have to spend your own money like you would have to off campus. The dorm life on campus is alright. The first week you are always doing stuff with your floor and RA, but after that you do not really have events planned. In most dorms you share a bathroom with your floor mates, but the staff at MSUM keep the restrooms very clean. This campus has many opportunities for extracurricular activities and clubs which is super nice to get you connected with people and allow you to enjoy hobbies of yours. Overall, I have enjoyed being on this campus and it now feels like a small nit family to me and it has helped me becoming the person I am today.

Alyssa

I love MSUM because of the community I have found here. It is a smaller campus, so it’s easy to run into people you know and make friends. My classes are small enough where the professors have always learned my name and I can get to know everyone as well. There are many organizations to join on campus and which really make it feel like home.

Erin

Overall, it is a really good college with tons of opportunities! There are plenty of activities and events to go to on campus. The classes are also on the smaller side so there are more opportunities for one on one with the professors. The professors are all really nice and understanding as well.

Take our Scholarship Match Quiz!