MiraCosta College

« See more reviews of MiraCosta College

If i had to offer a few good words of advice to myself as a high school senior, I would begin by lecturing myself about the importance of preparedness for college. I would tell myself applying for scholarships would be a big advantage to starting off college, for it allows an opportunity to win free money. Cash that can pay off many of the expenses that come along with attending school. I would also urge myself to look for programs around the campus, groups that could possibly support me financially. After all, colleges have many programs available that are free, which is something to consider taking advantage of. Another piece of advice I would give myself, would be to get an idea of what I might want to do in the future. Attending college without a clue of where you are going is dangerous, for classes cost money and credits drain financial aid opportunities. Taking whichever classes is not a smart technique, taking general education classes first is a good idea, they are transferable and necessary. One last notion id give myself would be to inform myself about transfering, as well as the classes needed, they are extremely vital.

Tune into your body with love and appreciation. Listen, feel, smell, see... practice being aware of your experiences. Academic writing encourages your awareness and your ability to articulate it. With this mission to show your audience what is going on rather than to tell them about it, your perspective changes and your whole world grows. Allow this process to begin now. Become conscious of what you are absorbing day in and day out. Realize that you have power over your decisions and what you allow into your body. Notice how you feel after you eat certain foods or hang out with specific people. Make educated choices throughout your days that are based on the awareness you gain through your experiences. After high school your days are not planned out for you with people constantly surrounding you; you will get to decide who you want to hang out with, what foods you will eat, when you will take which classes, and what you enjoy doing in your free time. If you begin loving, respecting, and getting in touch with your body now, then you will be prepared to make responsibile choices in college that will keep you healthy and happy!

What i will say to you on this very day is congratulations on your accomplishments thus far. You have come a long way baby! Your educational journey, your self discovery and discovering more about the world each day has led you to this place of transition, renewal and amazing growth. I am proud of you..... There is much i can say about life and learning and could talk to you for hours. What i have learned thus far comes not so much from a formal education but from living life and experiencing myself, people around me, nature, events along with moments in time. I can say that i would not change anything because everything has brought me to where i am today which is on solid ground about to take more steps, about to write my own song, about to create a new recipe, and very much eagerly anticipating each new day with a sense of contentment and renewal that i have never experienced in this way. My words are limited so they must have significant meaning so here goes, Love, Dream, Inspire, Develop, Create, Grow, Value, Embrace. See your magnificence in your smile, your heart, your spirit & your soul.

I believe the most important thing I would teach myself as a high school senior would be the ability to prioritize. To understand what was most important at a given time and to take action. Through out my college career I've been a professional procrastinator, but as of recent I've discovered how I can make myself do things in a mannerly time and with a more professional style. Additionally these skills have also helped me learn efficient budgeting skills, which would have been a significant advantage to have learned as a senior in high school. The ability to prioritize, organize, and act according to the situation at hand is critical when wanting to become a professional student in college, for me these were hard learned skills that took practice to perfect. If I were able to go back in time and teach myself a lesson about college life and the transition to college, I would advise myself to think critically about what has to be down, what can be done, and what doesn't need to be done; that way a more informed decision can made in reguards to what should be done, when, and in what manner.

I would tell myself to still go to MiraCosta college and even begin taking classes in the summer before. At first I wasn't sure what I wanted to do career-wise, but it would've helped if I could tell myself to start taking the business and accounting classes as soon as possible. I would take more summer classes so that I could transfer sooner, and I would participate in our campus' student activities from the beginning. I would tell myself to apply for scholarships as I had been working a lot during my time in college, and I could have used the time to complete more classes and focus on receiving better grades. I would also tell myself to take advantage of the free services that my school offers, such as tutoring and the transfer services. Participating in my accounting/business club from the beginning would have been nice as well, as I had learned a lot about the potential career paths I could take upon graduation. Whenever I was struggling in a class, I never took advantage of my professor's office hours. I could have had better grades if I had done this from the beginning.

High school was never a serious time in my life. Completely engaged with the worries of pre-pubescence, certain trends and of course boys I had little time to focus on my academic career. Not to mention it is the time in your life that you tend to rebel and think that what you did that Saturday night is more important then a high SAT score. In retrospect to the last two years of my life these thoughts have completely three six tied. I have learned the importance of an education and what you can get out of a college experience. In a single heart beat I would go back to myself at the young rip age of 17 to worn that pre occupied girl of her mistakes and purely unaided sluggishness. Grab her and tell her how enlightening it is to read a book from cover to cover, to sit in a lecture hall and exchange inspiring ideas, learn with fellow students with the same goals from scholarly professors. I would tell myself to prepare for college because thats your time to shine, the teachers want you to succeed and its up to you to make it happen.

I live this question each and everyday as I have a younger brother in high school, and while he doesn't like it all the time, I am constantly helping him with preparation for college. I come from a family of high intellect, yet no one has ever graduated from college. They were able to find professions and become highly sucessful. Yet, in today's economy it is essential to have a degree and even more so, a master's degree or more. I love school and so does my little brother, but the question that really remains is simply, how can I afford to stay in school for 6 to 8 years? So I would tell myself to keep my grades at 4.0 (which I gradually slipped down to 3.8) and to do as much community service as possible. And the number one most important thing I would tell myself is to apply for every scholarship possible so that I may have the opportunity to get school paid for by donors who are looking for someone exactly like me: bright, young, and eager minded, ready and willing to work hard for a better and more fulfilling future.

First and foremost do you really know what you want to do? Are you sure you want to attend school or do you want to figure out what you want to do? Okay so you want to attend college, well first and foremost you must make a commitment to yourself to follow through with every class, you pay the cash then you should try to get your monies worth in return. If you really want to attend, there are plent of options for you to pay your way throught school. Remember what I said when I said a commitment is what you need from yourself because once you graduate you should be able to use your education to provide a life for yourself and someday family. Also remember once you graduate your loan payments are due for payment. So this is why it is imperative you are serious and you have a goal to reach. You must become serious and show respect for the professors who are there because they choose to be there as you choose to be there, and those around you choose to be there . If you find yourself, in this state of mind, you are golden.

Growing up in the home that I did, with the constant burden of finances, college seemed like a dream that would never come true. With mediocre grades and no true path to follow for school, my senior year was practically hopeless. I knew I could never afford to attend a university. So for my senior year I strove for nothing. Following graduation as I made plans to head to China to work with orphans, the daunting task of registration for a junior college overwhelmed me. I knew I needed to do something. So I registered with Mira Costa. It has changed me, it truly has. Attending Mira Costa has changed my entire outlook on life. My once empty aspirations are now filled with hope. There is a light at the end of this tunnel. I am so close to achieving my goal and I will be the first from my family to graduate from college. If I were to go back and give advice to myself as a senior I would tell myself that there is hope and I need to strive and seek after it. To never give up cause the best things in life are worth fighting for.

The advice I would have given to myself as a high school senior would have been to slow down and make a plan for myself. At seventeen I was engaged to be married, flunking out of high school with a cumulative GPA below a whole number and working as much as possible so that I could spend money on things I didn't need. If I had known how much I was setting myself back I'm sure I would have tried to change my ways to prevent years being wasted between high school and college. At the end of my high school experience I was ready for a break, for a breath and for trying something different. It could have been college. If I could talk to my former self now I would say that high school is nothing like college. In college you have the power to choose your classes, guide your future and control your destiny. Had I started my college transition earlier I might have had my degree by now. Since I can't go back and talk to my former self, I would rather tell high schoolers now to start as soon as they can.