MiraCosta College Top Questions

amber

I would have told myself to take my time and look more in depth at my future options. To look at what different colleges had to offer and not just take the easy path that was right ahead of me. I would have said not to be afraid to take the time I need to be sure and to be ready. If you need a year to work, take it. If you need a year to travel, do it. If you need some time to know who you are, go discover. Don't let the world tell you who you are or what you need to define yourself by. Go find your happiness and take your time defining who you are. You will find your way and you can enjoy life as you do it.

Cassie

The advice I would have given to myself as a high school senior would have been to slow down and make a plan for myself. At seventeen I was engaged to be married, flunking out of high school with a cumulative GPA below a whole number and working as much as possible so that I could spend money on things I didn't need. If I had known how much I was setting myself back I'm sure I would have tried to change my ways to prevent years being wasted between high school and college. At the end of my high school experience I was ready for a break, for a breath and for trying something different. It could have been college. If I could talk to my former self now I would say that high school is nothing like college. In college you have the power to choose your classes, guide your future and control your destiny. Had I started my college transition earlier I might have had my degree by now. Since I can't go back and talk to my former self, I would rather tell high schoolers now to start as soon as they can.

Bailey

Look towards the light. This isn't where you're going to be in a few months. All your depression will be lessened and you will be happy. You may not believe me but it will be trust me. You're going to take your first class at a community college and you're going to be fine. Your anxiety will be a little higher than usual but you'll soon settle in and make friends. What you're dealing with now is just high school drama and it will pass. It may seem like its dragging on and on but it will be worth it in the end. Once you are settled in, the time will fly by quickly. You hate change we both know this, you act like you don't when in reality you can't stand it. Your past experiences have you biased but this time the change will be good. So please don't try to take your life because it will only make things more compllicated and harder for you to bounce back from. You're going to love college and the small amounts of freedom that come with it. Let it flow.

Larry

I would tell myself to still go to MiraCosta college and even begin taking classes in the summer before. At first I wasn't sure what I wanted to do career-wise, but it would've helped if I could tell myself to start taking the business and accounting classes as soon as possible. I would take more summer classes so that I could transfer sooner, and I would participate in our campus' student activities from the beginning. I would tell myself to apply for scholarships as I had been working a lot during my time in college, and I could have used the time to complete more classes and focus on receiving better grades. I would also tell myself to take advantage of the free services that my school offers, such as tutoring and the transfer services. Participating in my accounting/business club from the beginning would have been nice as well, as I had learned a lot about the potential career paths I could take upon graduation. Whenever I was struggling in a class, I never took advantage of my professor's office hours. I could have had better grades if I had done this from the beginning.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have to let myself know that I would make an easy transition. The hard working kid that I was back in high school would transition into a hard working adult trying to fulfill his dream as an Electrical Engineer. The only area of study that I would have to let myself know to try more on would have to be C++ programming and spend more time in office hours.

First, learn how to apply to FAFSA and apply before the deadline! If you're going straight to a university and apply late, there's a possibility all the grants have already been distributed. Second, don't procrastinate on your personal essays. Your future depends on the content of your essays so don't eliminate a life changing opportunity for yourself. Third, always remember why you are going to school. You are going for a purpose and not to waste your time, energies, and money. Learn how to prioratize things because otherwise you will fail in school and have to retake the classes. Most importantly, take a class that is transferrable to a university and make sure you like the class-if it's not a mandatory class. If you are not interested in the material, you will most likely become uninterested or have a hard time focusing in class and completing the course work.

karen

Sometimes, some decisions can change our lives even if they are small ones. Many can think that going to college is a small step, but I think is the contrary. For me, going to college changed the perspective of how I see my life. Attending college was an interesting experience because I can fell that my dreams can become true. In addition, we can feel that it is not much, but it is more than it appears. It is an important step that will become valuable someday. I say is valuable because it helps me to be more mature. At first, going to college is hard, but the effort is worthy. Also, I realized that education is an essential part in my life that can help me to achieve everything.

I have gotten many things from my college experience. I have received a quality education and the confidence to attend a 4-year institute with no worries. It has been valuable to attend because I was able to complete my first two years of college, at low cost, with the knowledge and confidence to move forward in my education. In addition, I feel more prepared for my future and my future career.

Nicola

What i will say to you on this very day is congratulations on your accomplishments thus far. You have come a long way baby! Your educational journey, your self discovery and discovering more about the world each day has led you to this place of transition, renewal and amazing growth. I am proud of you..... There is much i can say about life and learning and could talk to you for hours. What i have learned thus far comes not so much from a formal education but from living life and experiencing myself, people around me, nature, events along with moments in time. I can say that i would not change anything because everything has brought me to where i am today which is on solid ground about to take more steps, about to write my own song, about to create a new recipe, and very much eagerly anticipating each new day with a sense of contentment and renewal that i have never experienced in this way. My words are limited so they must have significant meaning so here goes, Love, Dream, Inspire, Develop, Create, Grow, Value, Embrace. See your magnificence in your smile, your heart, your spirit & your soul.

I believe the most important thing I would teach myself as a high school senior would be the ability to prioritize. To understand what was most important at a given time and to take action. Through out my college career I've been a professional procrastinator, but as of recent I've discovered how I can make myself do things in a mannerly time and with a more professional style. Additionally these skills have also helped me learn efficient budgeting skills, which would have been a significant advantage to have learned as a senior in high school. The ability to prioritize, organize, and act according to the situation at hand is critical when wanting to become a professional student in college, for me these were hard learned skills that took practice to perfect. If I were able to go back in time and teach myself a lesson about college life and the transition to college, I would advise myself to think critically about what has to be down, what can be done, and what doesn't need to be done; that way a more informed decision can made in reguards to what should be done, when, and in what manner.

I would say "Melissa, dropping out of high school is not a good idea. Heres why : you would not even bother to take the G.E.D test until you are twenty three, and you forgot how to do math, and will have to take classes to get better. To make things even more difficult, you have a small child at home who you now have to leave when you go to class, to learn how to pass the test. Once you finally do that, you will go back to the same old job, and you will soon realize that you need to make some changes in order to do the right thing for yourself, and your child. You would start attending college, only to realize you cant work full time and go to school full time, and be a full time single mother. The choices you make in the next two years are going to change your life. Think about what you really want and go for it. Do not fool around, do not party, and take the time to think logically when making a decision. School will only get better over time, I promise.

ruben

If i had to offer a few good words of advice to myself as a high school senior, I would begin by lecturing myself about the importance of preparedness for college. I would tell myself applying for scholarships would be a big advantage to starting off college, for it allows an opportunity to win free money. Cash that can pay off many of the expenses that come along with attending school. I would also urge myself to look for programs around the campus, groups that could possibly support me financially. After all, colleges have many programs available that are free, which is something to consider taking advantage of. Another piece of advice I would give myself, would be to get an idea of what I might want to do in the future. Attending college without a clue of where you are going is dangerous, for classes cost money and credits drain financial aid opportunities. Taking whichever classes is not a smart technique, taking general education classes first is a good idea, they are transferable and necessary. One last notion id give myself would be to inform myself about transfering, as well as the classes needed, they are extremely vital.

If I could go back in the past, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible and enjoy my last year of high school because life changes so much after that. I do not mind having the responsibilities that I have now, I just wish I took advantage of being a "kid" more than I did in high school. I would tell myself to stop worrying about how I would like college, because I love it.

Rheanna

I would have gone to college straight out of high school. I think it would have made alot of things alot easier. I now live 2 states away from my parents, so I am on my own, having to work part-time in order to make ends meet, while having to go to school full time. Had I gone right out of high school, I could have lived at home, and had alot of help from my parents and family. Even though I still get help from them, I would have been able to live with them rent free, and just been able to focus on school.

There are so many things that my high school senior self should have known. As a senior, I didn't take college very seriously. I knew that I would be going to college eventually but I didn't take the time to research all the options I had. If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself, "Think of the kind of future you want! Stop focusing on what is happening right now and don't just wait for things to happen, make them happen!" I would explain to my younger self that college is fun and exciting and there is so much you can do. I would encourage myself to take the SAT tests and don't be scared to go straight for the university. The most important thing I would tell myself is, "Go full time! There's plenty of ways to get money for school, all you need to do is look." I would say that you don't have to work full time and go to school part time, because it takes a long time to get where you want to be that way.

First and foremost do you really know what you want to do? Are you sure you want to attend school or do you want to figure out what you want to do? Okay so you want to attend college, well first and foremost you must make a commitment to yourself to follow through with every class, you pay the cash then you should try to get your monies worth in return. If you really want to attend, there are plent of options for you to pay your way throught school. Remember what I said when I said a commitment is what you need from yourself because once you graduate you should be able to use your education to provide a life for yourself and someday family. Also remember once you graduate your loan payments are due for payment. So this is why it is imperative you are serious and you have a goal to reach. You must become serious and show respect for the professors who are there because they choose to be there as you choose to be there, and those around you choose to be there . If you find yourself, in this state of mind, you are golden.

Lea

First of all, I would tell myself that life is not easy! Living with your parents and their help makes it hard to really be prepared with reality. What you think you know to be true as a teenager changes so much once you experience having it rough. I would also tell myself that college isn't just another party or way to stay young forever with your friends, and that most likely at 17 years old, you have no idea what your desires or wants truly are. Also, grades really do matter, and in the true sceme of things a C isn't really cutting it. College is also not cheap or easy, and if you go in unprepared, its very likely that you won't succeed. I would also tell myself that if you get a full scholarship, don't take it for granted, because later down the road when you have to work 2 jobs to try to make it, your gonna kick yourself in the butt for being so naive. Finally, I would give myself a hug, and say "don't worry, what doesn't kill you, will only make you stronger."

Maya

Tune into your body with love and appreciation. Listen, feel, smell, see... practice being aware of your experiences. Academic writing encourages your awareness and your ability to articulate it. With this mission to show your audience what is going on rather than to tell them about it, your perspective changes and your whole world grows. Allow this process to begin now. Become conscious of what you are absorbing day in and day out. Realize that you have power over your decisions and what you allow into your body. Notice how you feel after you eat certain foods or hang out with specific people. Make educated choices throughout your days that are based on the awareness you gain through your experiences. After high school your days are not planned out for you with people constantly surrounding you; you will get to decide who you want to hang out with, what foods you will eat, when you will take which classes, and what you enjoy doing in your free time. If you begin loving, respecting, and getting in touch with your body now, then you will be prepared to make responsibile choices in college that will keep you healthy and happy!

Aileen

Do some research on the current economy and industry trends. Choose a major that you are passionate about. Take charge of the course. Remember it is for yourself, not for your parents or your school. Try to take internships that will enhance to knowledge you learn. Try to take leadership in college or community originations which will help building leadership and/team work concept. Whether you wish to be an entrepreneur or an employee, this will benefit you in the long run.

jessica

i would tell myself to study before taking the placement test, cause i was so close to getting higher class levles. And to open up faster there is no need to be shy. i would also tell myself to just enjoy it and pass my classes.

Cindy

Go to community college. It will be the best decision you will ever make. Although I know you really want to move out and go to a big time university because you think you're all grown up, your not. Community college will help you become a responsible adult and make you find your true future career. You grow up alot here and figure out what's really important to you. You save a lot of money going to a community college and receive the same quality of education. So it may not be as fun as going to university and living in a dorm and partying all night long, but that is the beauty of it. You will get things done, and fast. You will find youself coming here and figure out who you really are. Go to MiraCosta and trust me you won't regret it. Oh, and stop caring about what everyone else will think of you in high school becuase in college it all changes. Things are differnt, including you.

I have experienced almost every aspect of college life. I have lived and studied abroad, I have lived in dorms, in off-campus housing, and with my mom. I have taken classes at a four year university as well as a two year community college. I have changed my major from international politics to public relations to photography and now to nursing. After all of this I would tell my high school senior self to follow the path that is layed in front of you, there are no short cuts, the journey is the experience. Never turn down an opportunity to learn; don't sell your self short just to take the easy way out. My college journey has been incredible and even at 25 it is not over yet; I wouldn't change anything. I have learned so much about myself and the world not only in the classroom but in the experiences outside of the classroom, so I would tell myself to live life to the fullest no matter what is thrown at you.

Barry

I grew up in a small country town that had only about 100 students in the high school. Making the transition from high school to college was hard and a culture shock. I thought college was huge, but in reality it was not that big. If I could go back and give myself advice, it would be to better prepare myself for the more difficult classes that are in college. I would also better prepare myself for exams and have better studying habits. Growing up in a small town, I found school easily successful. College however, I have to work much harder in order to be successful with my grades. I believe that the one thing that I would do differently is to better prepare myself for college in order to be successful in my college career.

Elisabeth

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would tell myself is not to let the pressure get to you. So what if you aren't going to a four year college straight out high school? It doesn't matter where you start your education because once you hold that degree in your hand it isn't going to say how you got it. The second piece of advice I would give myself is to get as much general education done in the community college as I can. Four year colleges are expensive, and no one is going to be paying for your education. Above all, stay strong, and stick the morals your mother taught you. A lot of things will try to slow you down, but just remember where you've come from and what you want to do and keep climbing until they hand you your diploma.

The advice I would love to have given myself would be to have really paid attention in every class I had. But mostly importantly I would have told myself and help others aswell to try hard and push hard to do great in school and to get involved in as much as I could. I would mention that even though the high school years don't seem inportant or aren't taken serious, it is really a vital part in further education and evenmy future.

I would tell myself to take it more serious, to apply for every scholarship possible and to not procrastinate on it. I would let myself know how difficult it would be without financial aid.

I live this question each and everyday as I have a younger brother in high school, and while he doesn't like it all the time, I am constantly helping him with preparation for college. I come from a family of high intellect, yet no one has ever graduated from college. They were able to find professions and become highly sucessful. Yet, in today's economy it is essential to have a degree and even more so, a master's degree or more. I love school and so does my little brother, but the question that really remains is simply, how can I afford to stay in school for 6 to 8 years? So I would tell myself to keep my grades at 4.0 (which I gradually slipped down to 3.8) and to do as much community service as possible. And the number one most important thing I would tell myself is to apply for every scholarship possible so that I may have the opportunity to get school paid for by donors who are looking for someone exactly like me: bright, young, and eager minded, ready and willing to work hard for a better and more fulfilling future.

Growing up in the home that I did, with the constant burden of finances, college seemed like a dream that would never come true. With mediocre grades and no true path to follow for school, my senior year was practically hopeless. I knew I could never afford to attend a university. So for my senior year I strove for nothing. Following graduation as I made plans to head to China to work with orphans, the daunting task of registration for a junior college overwhelmed me. I knew I needed to do something. So I registered with Mira Costa. It has changed me, it truly has. Attending Mira Costa has changed my entire outlook on life. My once empty aspirations are now filled with hope. There is a light at the end of this tunnel. I am so close to achieving my goal and I will be the first from my family to graduate from college. If I were to go back and give advice to myself as a senior I would tell myself that there is hope and I need to strive and seek after it. To never give up cause the best things in life are worth fighting for.

Shayla

With everything I know now about collegeI think that the most valuable piece of advise I could give myself would be, save up and look for scholarships. I am a full-time student with 16-18 units a semester, maintain three jobs, Student Ambassador for my college, AVID Tutor at a local middle school, part time (occasional) babysitter, and financial aid student, I still can't afford to pay all of my bills and school supplies I am lucky to have supportive parents but they aren't made of monay sometime I have to deal with tings on my own and help them pay some of my bill. I pay for my own clothes, school materials, car insureance, and anything else that may pop up during the school years. I prepared in high school for scholarships but I never made the effort to apply until now. The most valuable piece of information I would give myself as a highschool student would be to work hard, volunteer alot, as I've been doing and still continue to do, and apply to as many schoolarships I can.

I would tell myself that although taking my ecology and geology course was fun in the end it will not count towards transfering. I would tell myself to take the basic of biology and start on chemistry to shorten my time in junior college. Also to have fun and you will make many good memories the first year away from home.

Angie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior there are some things I would make sure I understood. I would tell myself to stay motivated through community college and make the right decisions about friends vs. school work, though at times, they may be the hardest choices to make. I would tell myself to keep my eye on my long term goal and never let it out of sight. I would tell myself not to settle for anything less than my dream 4- year university and my dream carreer. I would tell myself never to give up because your wildest dreams can come true with a little motivation and effort. I would tell myself not to quit even when the road to success seems all uphill because if you can get through the most difficult times balancing school and family life, you can get through anything life throws at you.

High school was never a serious time in my life. Completely engaged with the worries of pre-pubescence, certain trends and of course boys I had little time to focus on my academic career. Not to mention it is the time in your life that you tend to rebel and think that what you did that Saturday night is more important then a high SAT score. In retrospect to the last two years of my life these thoughts have completely three six tied. I have learned the importance of an education and what you can get out of a college experience. In a single heart beat I would go back to myself at the young rip age of 17 to worn that pre occupied girl of her mistakes and purely unaided sluggishness. Grab her and tell her how enlightening it is to read a book from cover to cover, to sit in a lecture hall and exchange inspiring ideas, learn with fellow students with the same goals from scholarly professors. I would tell myself to prepare for college because thats your time to shine, the teachers want you to succeed and its up to you to make it happen.