Misericordia University Top Questions

Going back in time I would tell myself to not worry so much about the transition from high school to college. I would tell myself to be open to my beautiful new home in the rural mountains of PA, because although it is very different from suburban south jersey, it is an area full of opportunity. Most important, I would tell myself to let go of past failed relationships and tell myself that it was not my fault. I would tell myself to be strong and to look to my budding friendships to help me move past those hard times. I would also tell myself to thank my parents constantly for always being there for me and for always catching me when I fell.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

stine

If I could go back in time to let myself know what i know about college, i would tell myself to work harder in highschool and take harder classes to challenge myself. I would have wanted to push myself and spend more time on my work. I would tell myself to stat focused and really work hard to get as ready as I can.

I believe that the events we experience in life happen for a reason. Call it fate, call it destiny, call it whatever you want. But if I hadn’t failed college, I never would have worked at the casino. If I never worked at the casino, I never would have met my husband or have had the two most beautiful girls in the world. In addition to fate, I also believe that our life experiences shape our personalities. They define who we are and how we will apply what we have learned to the future. With that being said, the advice I have for my high school self is to NOT bring all of your books to the first day of class. I attended the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities whose campus spans the length of a mile. Imagine lugging around physics, calculus, archaeology and greek and roman mythology books. My bag was so heavy I had to keep switching shoulders to carry it. By the time I got back to my dorm room, I was so exhausted I couldn’t move. And, to top it all off, we never even cracked open book in any of my lectures.

Kathleena

The advice I would give myself is to prepare myself more during the school year and summer. I was completely unprepared my first year at school and I didn't do as well as I would have liked to. It took me until my second year to get into a grove that has worked for me since. To prepare myself more I would have studied more during the summer about what classes I would be taking and what I would be studying. It also helps to get your college books earlier than before you start your semester so you can go through and be prepared for classes.

I would tell myself not to worry about making friends. Everyone is extremely friendly and down-to-earth. The professors only give you as much as they know you can handle and make themselves very available to you so you should not worry about getting left behind in class. I would tell myself that the dorms have plenty of storage space but I would recommend bringing extra food because the food at school is horrible. The alternative meal is much better than the actual dining hall so treat yourself. When choosing a schedule, try to focus on getting all your classes in that you need before taking fun elective classes because they will not be worth it later if you don't get your degree on time. Make sure to keep up with school work because it builds up quickly but is entirely doable when you work on each assignment a little bit each day. Make sure to get a sturdy planner for the year with plenty of space to write multiple assignments on each day. Above all, do not worry about not fitting in. This school is like a small community and you will be accepted.

Sharon

I would have told myself to relax and not take so many challenging courses. Yes, one should take classes to prepare for college, but not everyone needs to take AP courses. You need to know how to write, but you do not need a formal rhetoric course; it is better to become comfortable with the writing process than to focus on a complex concept. If you work too hard, you will get burnt out. Yes, there is a lot you must do; however, there is also a lot that you do not need to do. If you learn how to edit things out of your life (too much television, toxic friends, partying, etc.), you will discover a balance that will allow you to get enough sleep, study, work, and maintain a social life. It really is OK to tell people, "no".

Before I entered college I was very unsure of what the future would hold for me. I struggled through high school trying to maintain focus until my senior year when I asked to be tested for a learning disorder. Once diagnosed with ADD, I was anxious about being able to focus in college but with some guidance, I applied to colleges and made my decision on Misericordia. Once on campus, I was immediately accepted as a person not only by my peers but also by all the faculty. I am treated as an individual, not just a number which is what I need to excel and apply myself. Faculty members greet me by name which makes me feel valued as a person. I never thought I was capable of good grades in all subjects but my first semester at MU proved that I have that ability. I was happy to share my grades with my family and now have confidence in my study habits. I am no longer afraid to ask for help in order to succeed. It is a strength, no longer a weakness which I used to avoid for fear of criticism.

Loretta

I have not yet started college my first day is today.

I have met so many different people, that i would otherwise never have come in to contact with. I attended Bloomsburg University, and saw the big, party filled life that dominates the campus and I learned some valuable lessons there, mostly how to balance my studies, work and social life in order to succeed. I learned the value of helping others through community service via, the honors fraternities that accepted me in to their ranks. I am now attending Misericorda to get away from the distractions of the booming social life that is Bloomsburg. I had a 3.18 there with all the distractions, but I want to do better and with the smaller quieter college, I will be able to make the most of my time left in college so that I may someday enter gradschool.

Lindzey

College is an adventure. You go in unknowing, unprepared and scared out of your boots about what your future is to become. You have to catch your footing and then figure out where you?re going after that. College is a great experience as it has taught me how to become a better student, a better listener and a better adult. When I first came to college I was a senior in high school, I expected it to be as easy as my other years of schooling, I was wrong. In the weeks to follow my initial college experience I quickly found that I was ill prepared for higher education, even if it was just a community college. My whole high school career I rode on the fact that I barely had to try and I would succeed, however, college taught me I had to try and hard! My experiences helped to conquer my horrible habit of procrastinating. Because of my college understanding I have learned to plan ahead, listen and take plenty of notes, mental and physical, and it?s been a great support in my growth as a young adult, getting ready to step into the real world.

I have gotten the oppotunitity to meet many special people with very unique qualities that I otherwise would not have had the chance to meet. Also, this was the first time I have been away from home and I thought I was going to hate it but this experence made me realize it has been just the thing I needed!

I have learned that this is definitely something that anyone can do. I am married with three beautiful children so my life is quite busy and full. I never thought that I could afford an education, but I knew further education was needed in order to sustain a good life. I have made many new friends, and I am accepted for who I am here. No one looks down on me for waiting so long to go to school. Campus life is great, Misericordia is a constant buzz of positive energy that has encouraged me to look deeper into my world and the world around me.

Despite all the negative things here at Miseri, I have loved attending. My friends are amazing and very supportive and my professors are some of the coolest and most amazing people I have ever meet! I can't tell you how many times I've spend just sitting in one of their offices just talking about anything, doesn't even have to be school related. They're interested in you and you're interests and concerns. They will also do just about anything they can to help you in the future from establishing connects for you to writing amazing recommendation letters for graduate schools. Some may seem aloof at first, but once you get into some of their upper level courses, they open up to you and the rest of the class and you really get to see their personalities. This may not be so for all of the profs here, but it is for the humanities department.

I would give myself the advice to learn how to releave stress. I would take more time for myself and my family to reduce the stress I have. Also I would spend more time with my family and friends because once you get to college it is a lot harder to hangout with your friends and especially your family during the week. Another advice I would give myself is to learn how to manage my time, and that teachers in college are tougher on students then they are on high school students.

Carly

There is so much advice I would be able to give myself now that I have been through a semester of college. First, I would encourage myself to do more job shadowing to find your true passion. I would try to help myself gain more self confidence because you need a lot of confidence to help yourself through the transition. Self Confidence is something I really needed this first semester and I?m continuing to gradually gain confidence. I would also promote to take the SAT?s again because they do count to get into certain majors. I would persuade myself to look apply for more scholarships and grants. I would encourage myself to get out there, try new things and meet new amazing people. Finally, I would further tell myself this quote no matter how far life pushes you down you can always bounce back up and to never give up on your dreams. I would also say it may be difficult at first but you will get through it. The last piece of advice I would give is there are a great deal of people who believe in you and they will always be there for you.

Janet

Nothing really, I have always worked hard and I love to learn. I appreciate that I am able to get an education so that I could give my kids a better life.

Suzanne

BUCKEL DOWN AND REALLY STUDY YOUR ALGEBRA!! Would be my first thing to tell myself, than go on and get down to more important subjects. College is not the same as high school, high school is a walk in the park, and college will not be the same. Listen carefully to everything your adviser and teachers say, they have been through life and college before. Most of all listen to your parents and let them help you. Just because you have your diploma in your hand, does not mean you automaticly know everything. This is the reason you are heading to college, to learn more about your field of study, but also to learn more about the world and how it works, and to learn a lot more about yourself. Pay attention, study hard, jump in head first and when it gets too tough, take a moment and breath.

The only thing that can hold you back is yourself. There is no room for fear in new situations. No matter what, there will always be new situations that may be uncomfortable. Avoiding those situations will only make things harder in the long run. Look to the people around you. Your professors, classmates, friends, and family are all there to help and support you. And keep in mind, the more you get involved in, the easier the transition will be. There is always something going on on campus. So don't just sit there, be a part of it. But remember that even though you want to have fun, you are there for an education. It may take some time to balance the studying and play, but it is possible. If you believe in yourself, then nobody can hold you back. So go for it. Let go of that fear. Reach for the stars. Live your dream.

I would tell myself to focus a little more. After being in college for this long, I'm finally learning how to motivate myself. I'd say to try out a bigger school to step out of my comfort zone a little, and try something new. I'd also tell myself to try and stay a little closer to home. As a senior, I didn't realize how much I would miss my family and being home, I think I really took that for granted.

GET INVOLVED! Mkae sure the college you are choosing has what you are interested in. Don't pick it just becuase someone you know is going there. Make sure that its a college where you would want to spend the next four years or more of your life. You don't want to be unhappy because then you'll hate it even more. Go where you know you belong. You'll know if it's the one for you right away. Don't worry, you'll know as soon as you set foot on campus. But make sure they also heve the degree you want!

You know what school is right for you...pick one where you feel safe and at home becasue if you feel safe your are more likely not to become too homesick.

Everyone has a certain picture in their head of what type of college that they want to attend. I toured atleast ten campuses in my search for the "right" college. However, my parents told me that if i was to attend a four year college or university that i must have a declared major. I knew that i wanted an older school with lots of history, and regal looking buildings. Unfortunately the schools that met my asthetic approval never seemed to have my major. I found Misericordia University through research on the internet, and although i didn't really love the campus the program for medical imaging was the best i found. My choice was soley for the medical imaging program, and eventually i learned to love everything else about the campus. I would recommend finding a school with the best academic programs before choosing a school for the athletics and asthetics of a campus. I would also insist on more than one tour of a campus of interest, becasue everyone has different opinions about their school. The college experience is all about meeting new people, and experiencing new things such as cultures. One needs to put themselves out there.

Definately visit the campus multiple times if possible. Visit it every season of the year if you can and also be sure to spend the night. It is different on campus at night when there are no chaperones. Also, visit a weekend if you can. Go to classes with people and see what the classes are like. Go the library or to a sporting event on campus to see what the social scenes are like. Focus on what kind of education you want to receive and what kind of major you are looking at.

I would first like to say that a local community college can help build a strong foundation especially for a student who does not know what they want to do for a career. Community colleges can also help to save a great amount of money. Looking into scholarships and alternative money sources should be taken care of as soon as possible to ensure a college experience that will not be overloaded with work.

Pete

Apply to a lot of schools, and visit them

I would first figure out the major you would like to take. Then decide whether or not you want a small school or a large school. From there you can find schools the size you want and that have your major.

Parents are going to have to let go of attempting to controle and choose for your kids, this is a point where the student/child must become an adult. For the students, Finding the right college and major is extremely hard, you have to take a risk and try new things if thats what you want to do ( going from big school to small, and so forth). Choose a major of intrest and not money because that is a huggeeeeee deal! Money cannot buy happiness in the long run and you will end up hating yourself, or leaving that field which will cost you more in the long run. Sports may seem to be alot to handel espically going into a new world with the hard corses and no friends however it made it much much easier to network, stay focused, keep on track, and stay motivated. Get involved on campus in some form and youll meet friends and learn new channels for help. Have fun, be safe & show up for class.

Don't attend Misericordia! Don't be lazy visit as many school as you can and see what's out there. Also, make sure you stay on top of your high school's guidance department, they blew off 3 of my school applications, thanks a lot!

Krista

Start looking early!

Kristopher

The main focus is to have fun and like wherever you decide to go. College should be a fun and exciting time in your life, while gaining a wealth of knowledge to help better your future. No need to suffer while gaining an education. Go visit the schools and most schools offer visits, sit-ins in classes, and stay-overs. Take advantage of the situation!

Veronica

You'll know its the right college for you when you see the school. And when you go tothat specific scholl, have fun =) Just make sure you stay focused on your studies, because the outcome is all worth it!!!!

Parents to let the student make the final decision. In the long run , if the student is happy with the choice of school, they will do well in school.

Jan

I would tell students to be careful in making their decision. They should not rush to decision and should compare and contrast schools they are thinking about attending. It is a very important decision and one you may have to live with for 4 years depending on the circumstances. I would also encourage students to not base their decision on where their friends will be attending and where their friends are encouraging them to go. Just because one school is right for your friend doesn't mean it is the right school for you and your needs. They may not have a strong program in the field of your interest or they may not be in a setting your are comfortable with. You need to base your decision on what is best for you and your friends will always be there for you whether it be over the phone, online , or on breaks when you go home to visit.

Elyse

NA

Eleni

Being a ready able student and taking the most out of any and all opportunities availible to you.

Make sure the college you're looking at has pacient professors that are willing to help you no matter what, quiet places to learn, a guaranteed job placement program, a safe and clean learning environment, and plenty of extra-curricular activities.

Really look inside yourself and see if you really want to do what you're about to try. Make sure that the field you're choosing has a good availability of jobs, because I personally know some people who choose a field that they were really interested in and then they got out of college and said hey I spent all of that money and there really isn't a good availability of jobs in this field, especially if I want to start a family or something like that. If you're living on campus get to know as many people as you can within the first 2 weeks or so, because that is the time where getting to know people is easiest and will most likely ensure you an exciting social life for the rest of the year.

Alysa

Visit lots of different places, it can't hurt. Do what you want to do, not what someone else is telling you to do. If you are not happy, your experience and grades will show that, parents, be willing to work WITH your child, and let them make their own discoveries.

You need to look for a school that is in the location of an area that you could find yourself being comfortable living in with the majors that you are considering going into. You don't want to go to a school that is too close to home because you need to get away from the people you have always been with to discover yourself as a person. If you are too close to home then you will just end up going home all the time. You really need to get out there and find a school that fits your personality. If you need and like a lot of professor interaction then don't go to a school with classes in big auditoriums. Go to a small school with small class sizes. Just find a school that is inviting and fits your learning and life styles.

Darcy

You'll know when you have found the right one!

Go to the campus, if you walk on the campus and something clicks....you have the right place. Find the place that when you walk on the campus something in sides says this is where i am ment to be, not place else will ever feel so good. Welcome to the college search its fun and you may even learn something about yourself, which is always fun!

justin

let the student make the choice, because they have to do the work and they have to like what they are going to be doing .It's for there future.

Find a college that you're the happiest with, don't think too much into and don't count out schools that aren't really you top pick. You can find a good school anywhere but you'll be happiest if you know what you're getting yourself into before hand.

In choosing a college, make sure you learn as much about your major's curriculum and requirements as possible. Being caught off guard can make for a very stressful semester. It would also be very helpful to find out the costs that most students of your major have to pay from their pocket for requirements. Knowing how you are going to have to balance entertainment costs with academic fees is very important, and will likely influence your work study or off campus job questions. Also, don't be afraid to talk to the coach of a sport you play, even if you aren't sure you want to play. You never know what you may find out, and generally, youre team becomes like your family on campus! It's always nice to know that you have a group of people you can count on. The most important thing, is to make sure you are comfortable. You have to love it!

Shayna

Explore different options, and expose your child(ren) to a variety of campuses, don't focus on just one, give them the chance to see everything they want. The college you choose should be somewhere you're comfortable with and enjoy attending.

Make sure the financial aide program increases yearly and due to the performance of your child. Many schools are not truthful and if you are struggling financially you need them to be.

My advise to anyone looking for the right college is to first of all start early so that you have enough time to really figure out what you want. A balance between sole deadication to a college desicion and slacking off till late enrollment dates is important. Take a second to enjoy the momment you are in and then keep moving forward. Next it is essential to listen to advise and use resources that are available to make informed decisions. However it is vital to make your own decision in the end. Advice on making the most of a college experience is simple. Do something you are love and try something new.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I have for those on the college search is to know yourself and what you want to get out of your life. This will play a huge role as you search for schools. Location should be a major factor in narrowing down your school, whether it be distance from home or the proximity to local services, shopping and attractions. Also consider class size, would you like to be just a number or have a personal relationship with a professor? Reseach the activities, organizations and sports that schools have to offer, this will give you a clue into how involved you can get. Lastly, look at the job placement as wells as internships and hands on experience the school offers for your major to insure your chances putting your education to good use once you graduate. To find the right school for you make sure the school offers what you hope to get out of your college experience and succeed in the future, after all you will spend several years there so make sure you will be happy!

Ann

I would say that you should really see the college more than once and especially when school is in session. That will give you a better idea of what to expect. Staying overnight is another great way to find out about what students do at night and what types of things there are to do besides school work and studying. Testing out the food is another good option to make sure that they really are accomodating for those that may be vegetarians or have food allergies. College is a big decision and by taking time to make sure that you've picked the right school you need to make sure that it has everything you want to offer. Sacrifices are key and no one finds the perfect school. If you hate it then at least stay for a year to truly find out if anything can change, if not then try again but I would definately recommend for students that don't know what they want to do is to go to a community college in order to save money and start taking core classes. Good luck and take chances you never know if that program is right for you.