Mississippi Delta Community College Top Questions

Gloria

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior , knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, what advice would you give yourself. My first advice would to stay in school. Do not let anything get in your way, especially a boyfriend. Do not let a boy sweet talk you in thinking that you owe him anything and end up getting pregnant. Do not let anyone tell you that you can't overcome life obstacle. You will make many mistakes along the way, get up and dust the dirt off and hit the ground running. Remember to listen to older adults that they know more about life than what you know. Do not let anyone tell you college life is hard. College is what you make out of it. I think that you put your mind to studing and if you want it bad enough, you can do it. Learn to go to bed early so that you can get plenty of sleep so that you can get up on time. Education is the key to the future, it is up to you what you will do with it.

If I were able to talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing I would tell myself is to start applying for scholarships the first day of school! Because as I am now, rushing to do so, it has become very hard to find any available scholarships that will assist me. Also I would tell myself to start saving my money then! Because whether people realize it or not, the little you save can begin to go a long way! And of course to start working on better study habits! College is much different than high school, and if you're not focused you can surely turn to bad habits that will cause your grades to drop, so begin working on better study habits while still in high school, begin saving money while still in high school, and to apply for as many scholarships as possible as soon as school starts to make sure you're going to college with something!