Mississippi State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Mississippi State University

Esther

I absolutely love it. It has character and a drive for quality. We know how to have fun without throwing away the amazing opportunities they provide. The campus if beautiful and easy to navigate once you get your bearings. Everyone is friendly and dedicated and glowing with school pride.

I am an out of state student who did not visit Mississippi prior to coming here. I've only heard about to school from pictures and people who have visited in person. The school is amazing and full of southern hospitality. Tailgating goes on for miles and is life changing.

Patrick F. Games II

Mississippi State University is an awesome school. There at plenty of faculty and students willing to help. But most of all the only person that can help you get good grades is yourself. The campus is beautiful and safe. Wouldn't want to go to school anywhere else.

Crystal

The tuition is extremely expensive, but I love being there. It is great for any agricultural or engineering majors. Most of our teachers come from the industry so they can explain how our classes apply to the real world. To me, this is the most valuable aspect State can offer us.

Jordan

I really enjoy Mississippi State! The biggest change I had to endure was getting used to only having a Walmart to shop at in about a 30 mile radius. The school atmosphere is great, and there is a lot to get involved in!

Essence

There is great campus life and everyone is really friendly. The campus is huge with many buses, a great gym that everyone can go to, and a it's in a college town so everywhere you go outside of campus is made for college students. The atmosphere in Starkville is amazing and if you go to Mississippi State you will love it.

English

Mississippi State University is a wonderful school. From a diverse student body to a variety of extracurricular activities, there are always a number of opportunities just waiting to be exploited. With my being a Southern Texas gal, I did not expect to discover the many ethnicities and cultures present on campus. Especially in Northern Mississippi. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is a bit of everything here at MSU. Not my first two days on campus, I had already made the best of friends with people from across the world! I got a little piece of Ghana, Africa, and Mumbai, India from just our conversations and interactions so early into the year. I've learned much, just as they've learned from me. Them, like others on campus, are all exceptional students, and incredibly passionate about their studies and general aspirations, so much so that it has done some good for me in keeping me motivated and loving what it is I hope to do. It's always a friendly environment, and I've felt entirely welcomed since the beginning. There are always events and activities to involve yourself in, here on campus--holding discussion sessions on issues we face today, or simply just enticing other students to pass the football with you out on the drill field (center of campus life, really). Of course, being a part of the SEC, we pride ourselves in athleticism, so every day is a game day, and every weekend is something to get hyped about. In this one semester, I've met such amazing people, including my professors, and have had a great time in my classes. While the year hasn't been completely stress-free, I've learned that there are always people struggling, people willing to help, and people willing to learn. That sense of community has made this year incredible, and I'm happy to say even if I am a poor college student, I'm enjoying college life all the same.

Bryce

I love MSU, its a great school in a small town and everyone cares about everyone. I am currently a sophomore and have loved my first year at MSU! The professors are all professional and also laid back and are available at any time. There is lots to do on campus and around town as well!

Jashyla

I think Mississippi State is a great school. There are a lot of opportunities for the students and there is so many event that is happening throughout the campus. I am having a great time going to Mississippi state but there are some areas that can improve.

jommichael

I Think Mississippi state would be a good place for me to experience engineering and to learn new things since my older brother went there for Art.

TyYonna

Mississippi State University, home of the bulldogs and the ringing cowbells, is an extraordinary college. Honestly, if you are searching for a perfect college to attend, Mississippi State is the place to go. Why? I mean, do not get me wrong, there are cons to the campus, just as any other, but that is not why I rated the university as a 4-star school. The university welcomes you and makes you feel like you belong there, and there’s always someone there to guide you and make sure you’re staying on top of what should be your number one priority, your education. The wide array of organizations and extracurricular activities allow for ample opportunities in every aspect on campus. Whether it be athletics or politics, there is always a way for anyone to stay involved and connected to everything that takes place on campus. Mississippi State University’s beautiful campus and friendly atmosphere, led me to living on campus my freshman year instead of living with a relative. This one small gesture of becoming an adult allowed me to practice responsibility and broaden my social skills, and for that, I now have some of the most amazing, lifetime friends. One of which, was my roommate. In addition to the living experiences on campus for my freshman year, because I have a chronic illness which caused me to have surgery, I had to withdraw from the university for the Spring semester of my freshman year. Although, physically, I was not on campus, spiritually I was still there and a part of the big family. My friends along with authority figures continued to keep me in the loop of everything that was going on campus, and they also went out of their way to make sure all my information needed for withdrawal and readmission was signed, sealed, and delivered on time for a smooth process for me. All in all, just as I said, Mississippi State University does have cons. All families do, but regardless, when the good outweighs the bad, and you find yourself falling, Mississippi State University and it’s staff will be there to help you get back up.

Abigail

Mississippi State has given me more than a college, it has given me a home full of a family who lives and breathes State. Greek life has supported and encouraged me to grow in my community and myself. The classes offered have kept me busy and there is something for everyone on campus. Whether it is sports, academics, social clubs, or Greek life, there is a place for everyone at State that you will find a small bit of family.

Meagan

Mississippi State University has well rounded education, teacher and students. There are plenty of majors and minors to choose from, as well as an abundant class times. I have only experienced hard working and earnest teachers and have never run into a teacher who is unfair. Not only are the teachers excellent, but the advisors are as well. My advisor is always prepared when I walk in for my appointment. He has my records pulled up on his computer, has gone through what courses I have taken and which ones I need to take, and always helps me with any scheduling conflict. The college also has plenty of activities for students. Most bulletin boards placed in busy hallways and rooms are filled with fliers for club meetings, off-campus activities and anything in between. Sororities and fraternities will have frequent fundraiser events, as well as have activities on our drill field in the middle of campus. Once every semester there is a club fair where all the clubs line up on the drill field and students can find what they are interested in. There are religious clubs, music clubs, golfing clubs, LGBT clubs, sports clubs, and so many others that there are too many to list. There is a downside to Mississippi State University. The staff can give students incorrect information, which leads to confusion and frustration. I have personal experience with this one that involved the registrar and the financial aid office. When I called the registrar for information on my account, I was told to call the financial aid office; however, the financial aid office told me to call the registrar. This made it clear that both offices did not know how to get the information I needed and resulted in a very frustrating event. Like every university, Mississippi State University has it’s strong points and faults, but I would not choose to go anywhere else for my education.

Takhaira

My overall opinion of Mississippi State University is that it is a very nice school. I love it so much. Everybody is always smiling and it is a nice fair size campus so we really all know each other. Ofcourse football season is the best and we have alot of activities. It really depend of the major you are in, but we really have some nice programs. Our science department is really not the best but it is not horrible either. I can say everybody is very nice and it is very easy to meet new people. HailState

Katrina

Being that this is my first time ever attending MSU, I could not think of any other school that could be better than this. Everyone is so nice and welcoming which helps show MIssissippi's southern hospitality. Here at MSU, there are so many fun and amazing things to do that there is never a reason for you to be bored. There are usually random things that have been set up on​ the drill field for you to take a look at and if you stop by any billboards in a classroom halls or dorm halls you can find interesting events to attend when you're not doing any work. Also, the food is amazing. You have so much to choose from when it comes to "feeding the dawg inside you". You can either go to the two main cafeterias ,Perry and Fresh Foods, The Union which has Chick fil a, Panda Express, Pizza Hut, Burrito Bowl, Panda Sushi, Starbucks, and a bakery. There's also a Burger KIng, the Templeton where the athletes eat but everyone is welcome to go to, and the McArthur if you want to eat a little healthier. Also, there are many places off campus to choose from.

Tyler

Mississippi State University is quite the university. I often stand in amazement of the atmosphere and overall beauty of the campus. The individuals/staff on campus are the nicest and friendliest. Education is their top priority; the instructors strive to improve the students whether it be in their studying or just general life advice. Though I still have no clue whether or not I am suited for this type of school or continued education in school as a whole, I would like to hope I can figure it out here.

Hayden

Mississippi State is the better than what I could have asked for in a college. The atmosphere is great, and you feel safe and secure walking around. There are plenty of places to eat and there are two cafeterias, so the food is great. The campus is beautiful and Starkville, MS has very good restaurants. Classes can be large early on, but you will eventually have smaller classes and better teachers!

Donte

Mississippi State University is a diverse and accepting college. Students from all walks of life come together to learn with the help of qualified and caring instructors that truly make you feel important. The campus offers a range of activities for us to socialize and form strong bonds and they really care about giving us good experiences we can take with us forever.

Alyssa

I love this school so much! Everyone is a family on and off campus, and it's my home away from home. Starkville is such an amazing town; so much to do, yet still has that small town feel. If you are looking for an SEC school with a large campus but still the small community environment, MSU is perfect for you.

Alyssa

Ranesha

It is a beautiful Campus and help is available. I am new, but it seams as though everyone wants you to succeed no matter your race or back ground . Our student center is the place we can go for help with homework ,printing information and scheduling issues.

Kinshisha

I have just transferred to this university from another university but the school seems to be ok, but people are not the students do not seem that helpful, yet the workers are super friendly and nice. There are also quite a few comfortable places to study than my old school.

Caleb

Great environment I have met many friends who has helped me. Professors want you to learn and are quite helpful. Tons of things to get involved. The campus is clean and well attended to. The campus offers many activities to attend. As for safety, there is adequate security to patrol the campus.

Lilli

I love it here! It's my home away from home. I couldn't picture myself anywhere else. At Mississippi State University, I receive a strong academic education, get to be a part of the SEC, and am able to partake in the joys of living in a college town. Starkville has all that you really need while at college and it feels like home.

Alleyna

Mississippi State is wonderful place to be at anytime. We have the big games on the weekends and even when there are no games, lots of people come to enjoy the campus over the weekends. I personally am not a huge fan of the big deal made out of football, but I enjoy the people. Everyone is so friendly and eager to help one another. The campus is so beautiful, and I always have the opportunity to learn from someone I have met. The resources provided for students are just tremendous, and are really helpful and convenient for an out of state student such as myself.

Lucille

Mississippi State is a safe campus that has dedicated teachers that are willing to help their students. Not only do I enjoy my classes, but I also enjoy walking on campus or sitting on campus doing homework because the nature is gorgeous. Ever student has a sense of pride when discussing their course work.

Essence

Mississippi State University is a school where everyone is family. There are times where you meet new people everyday. You never know what the day consists of because of all the great opportunities and facilities you will experience. Everything about Mississippi State University is unstoppable.

Jordon

After visiting the campus, my opinion of the school is the faculty cares. People are friendly and helpful, always going out of their way to assist. Also, the campus is beautiful.

Thera

I am attending Mississippi State University in the fall. I have visited multiple times and have completely fallen in love with the campus, the students, and the teachers. Tis college is extremely safe. Aa key card is necessary to get into each and every building on campus. There is also a bus that can take you anywhere you need to go. There is always something going on here. If you are interested in something chances are there is a club for it. If for some reason there isn't a club for you, you can start one. It's very simple and very easy to do. I may have not started, but I already feel like one of them. I am ecstatic and so ready to start!!

JaVarious

My opinion is that Mississippi State is a great four-year college. It has many opportunities from jobs, to learning other majors. The campus is wide with various places to go to. From the Union to hang out and eat, to the library to study for classes.

Kaitlyn

Mississippi State University is the perfect college for someone who might feel overwhelmed by the idea of attending a "big university". Everyone is friendly and there are multiple opportunities for students to become involved in various activities and organizations on campus. There seems to always be something to do on campus. Mississippi State can easily become someone's "home away from home". It's always a great day to be a bulldog! Hail State!

Reality

Mississippi State University has an amazing blend of culture and is full of wonderful experiences that will stay with you for a lifetime. You will meet so many different people and different backgrounds, and it is rare that you find a scowling face when you stop to say hello! It is a great school

Juliana

I attended MSU from 2011-2015 with a major in microbiology. The biology department was incredibly large, but didn't have enough advisors for the amount of students in it. My appointments with my advisor were always scheduled and brief. Regardless, she was very helpful and accessible via email. The classes in the bio department were large which made it hard for professors to get to know you, but they still wrote me letters of recommendation when I asked (with the exception of one). My senior year I had to substitute several upper level classes required for my major because professors were on leave or they just didn't have anyone to teach the subject. MSU as a whole is what you make it. Going greek isn't necessary to make friends. You can get involved in other ways, or not. Sports are a big part of the university culture. Students can attend all sporting events free of charge with the exception of football.

Shemar

Overall Mississippi State University is a great school. There are plenty of clubs organizations and activities to participate in. When you are not on campus the city of Starkville has plenty of things to do. From movies to skating to bowling the city brings a ton of fun to student life. Off campus restaurants here are great with a wide range of varieties.

Amber

Mississippi State University is a wonderful institution. The staff and instructors are amazing and very helpful when needed. The classes are very informative and useful. I highly recommend this university for anyone looking to further his or her education.

jalani

Mississippi State isn’t a great school. Without the university Starkville would be nothing. Everybody take pride in that school and people take care of he university. Me being African American, I don’t regret going there at all being that it is a PWI. Hail State!

Kasey

this university had many things to offer its students. the classes are reasonably sized and their teachers are great. a very accepting school and very well spaced. this college has a lot of history behind it and it makes it quite unique. I love it here.

Keilan

It is a great school, though I wish more students would integrate more. I feel as if the students focus a little to much time on academics instead of learning and living.The tuition for me is the issue other than that, I have learned life lessons I would have never learned from staying home or attending a comm. college.

Quinton

It's a great place to be and it feels a lot like home. There is plenty to do on campus so you won't be bored at all. I can't wait to go to my first college game . It'll be very exciting. The food here is amazing and don't worry about getting bigger because the campus is so big. You'll walk off what you ate in no time. Overall the school is great and you should consider going.

Tay

I love it so much, It feels like home as soon as you make the entrance. I love the environment and how they are culturally diverse. They have so much to do campus to be involved it's never not something to do. The food is good there are a lot of places to eat at. I love being at the union. Even though the housing bumps the price on tuition, it's worth it and money well spent. Once you get there you will love it

Destiny

Mississippi State gives everyone an opportunity to be themselves, while surrounded by different cultures.

Valentina

Overall, I believe Mississippi State University is one of the best schools to attend in the state. We live fore the games but do not lose focus from our academics, we build long lasting friendships in the many clubs on campus and/or in class. I would absolutely recommend Mississippi State University to my friends as an option.

The university does have the big campus atmosphere and it can be hard not to be washed out in its vastness. That being said, the honors program has tons of people who truly care about your choices and their effects. Plenty of opportunities exist for nearly any desire. Although it wasn't my first choice, I'm thankful God put me here as it has affected me and tested the person I am and will become.

David

Overall, Mississippi State is a great university, with plenty of opportunities, good academics, and absolutely amazing people. On campus housing is very decent: it is convenient and well placed, as well as having good resources. The cafeterias are more than adequate, and the on campus non-cafeteria dining options are very good as well. The library and school buildings are very suitable for collaboration and study.

Mississippi State Univerisity has a lot to offer its students, for transfer students if can be overwhelming. Certain improvements could be made to better prepare and inform transfer students of the opportunities and obligations they have. Having a mandatory informative meeting before classes begin would be beneficial.

Shondell

Mississippi State is a very calm but exciting campus. There is never a dull moment but in this Bulldog's case that's a marvelous thing. Here academics are first and academic socialization is a definite second; academics bring us together to conquer the rigorous science classes and the motions of 8 am classes.

aiden

Mississippi State is a solid school with a great student body. However, Mississippi State is lacking in recreational activities besides sports. Most everyone lives for the game days and the university can be somewhat dull during the downtime. Overall 8/10

Karen

I am a young girl with a dream. One day I will be a journalist. I plan to start my career with this honorable college. I've been through some things in my life, but the one thing that has remained consistent is my love for writing. Whenever something disheartening has happened I have always been able to take my feeling and put it into a story. I am hoping I can receive this scholarship to further my career. Thank you in advance.

It is a wonderful school! There is a place for everyone to fit in. I am not a very social person, but even I have met people on campus who I greatly enjoy and have gotten a chance to get to know them. Each week there is a big event taking place whether it be sports, majors, or clubs. There is always something for a group of friends to attend.

Brianna

Mississippi State University is a inviting campus. It is full of encouraging people, southern politeness and invigorating activities around campus. It is one of the safest campuses in the State and you would not regret coming here. There is always something going on that incorporates the community as well.