Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Travis

I would go back and tell myself to not underestimate college. It will not be something I can breeze through like high school was. I would tell mysellf to put in as much work as i could, say that it will be hard and I won't like it but in the end it will all be worth it. Getting that degree and having a sucesful life. And I would also tell myself not to be afraid to go out and meet new people. That just because you make new friends doesn't mean you have to leave your old ones behind. So in summary I would say, get ready it won't be easy but you'll have fun along the way, don't get in to too much trouble and then it will all be worth it in the end. Don't have regrets.

Extreamly shy or lazy people should not attend Missour S&T. Like i said before more active students do better and that is only made harder if you are extreamly shy or timid. And laazy people prabably will find it hard a t any university, but especially here were the classes are all really hard there is no easy way out here as they prepare you to be the best engineers Missouri has to offer.

The worst thing about Missouri S&T is that there isn't much to do in the city of Rolla. Research says that students who are more active in the community do better in school. That is made difficult when there is nothing to do. But with a good group of friends you can stay active with game or movie nights or just study groups.

Laurance

I enjoy my senior and I did have fun. Study is important and I'm not regrat that I acutally got accepted by Missouri S&T.

Is so small that I will never late for classes

Our school has a clean environment and a small campus that you will see your friends everyday!!!!

Janea

The classmates at my college are very diverse and weird.

The classmates at my college are very diverse and weird.

As a high school counselor I would tell myself all the career options that coexist with my field choice and to make sure that the college I accepted to go to was the right choice for me. I would tell myself that there is more than just computer engineering that deals with computers. I wasn't aware of information science & technology and what it was until I googled it online one day being curious. It was exactly what I wanted to do with computers and it took me a long time to realize it and so I went to a college that didn't have a strong department which caused me to be behind in college courses. Being able to choose a major and college gets you ready for making big decisions that changes your life, which is a big step for most. Absorbing the information might be scary but you only know whats best for yourself and what your mind and heart tells you to do is what you should do. Weigh out your options and research everything about your school and your field department to make sure that school and major is right for you.

I wish I would have known what field I wanted to major in.

I remember feeling very nervous as I was about to entire college my freshman year. I was worried how I would compare academically to all of the students around me and was afraid that I would not be the best. Looking back, I would tell my high school senior self not to measure success purely on grades. It is important to have decent grades, but perfection is not necessary. There are many other important factors that will help you just as much or more to get into graduate school or land your first job. I would tell myself to get out of my comfort zone and volunteer for a project or join a club. Extracurricular activities will teach you valuable tools that you can not learn in a classroom. Do not be afraid to ask questions. If you do not understand, than it is more than likely someone else will not either. Lastly, I would tell myself to make lasting friendships and make sure to take time out for yourself every once and awhile. It is okay to relax and read that book or watch that movie.

The cafeteria food was not very good. There are not a lot of places to eat on campus, and the few places can get crowded with long lines.

There are plenty of projects or activities to get involved in. There are many areas for undergraduate research and leadership positions within clubs or organizations that will look great on your resume.

Lindsey

My senior year I did not want to leave high school. I had my friends, my dance team, and was friends with all of my teachers. But sadly this meant that when I went to college, I was hesistant in meeting new people and finding a new study group. I was so set on hating my college that I didn't take full advantage of everyting I could have done my first semester. I made good grades, joined a sorority, but I didn't make the friends I had hoped to. I spent most of my time dwelling on the past and missing my friends. I would have told myself senior year to get over the past. You will be at college for four years or more, and getting off to a great start is really important to your happiness. Being really open to new people and experience is the best advice a high school senior could receive.

Students who are personally motivated and hold scholarship higher than anything else. Students must not be afraid to develop strong relationships with teachers because that is the best way to thrive when the coursework gets difficult. Most students here assume leadership roles in clubs and orginizations at some point in their college career. So students should be both academically driven, and well-rounded.

This school is mainly an engineering school so it requires people that really love to solve problems. Students who intend on slacking off and doing the minimum should never think of attending this school. Students should also be willing to join many extracurricular activities. Joining clubs is one of the best resources I have found here.

Jimmy

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would first explain to myself that just because high school was easy I shouldn't be slacking off. I would tell myself to heed Mr. Oster's advise and take the ACT multiple times to maximize my score, and convince my stubborn self not to be content with a score of 28. Pursuade myself to look at the option of a 2 year college to prepare myself for a 4 year university. I would encourage myself to study for the math entrance exams, and the effect they have on a college career. Then explain how important a GPA really is. I would explain to myself just because I think I have it all figured out doesn't mean I do. That life is to unpredicable to figure out, to remind myself that, "The best-laid plans of mice and men / Go oft awry." I would tell him not to forget qualities he already possess. Like the drive to succeed in all he does and will do , the natural instinct of leadership, and compassion. The look of bewilderment on my face will be priceless.

The location of the town it's located in. The town lacks activities that larger cities ofter, such as concerts, malls, sporting events, and a broad choice of dining. Rolla is halfway between St. Louis and Springfield, both about an hour and a half drive, and to drive to one of those cities just to do stuff is kind of a drag. The only decent dining in Rolla is an Applebee's, Denny's and fastfood . It would be nice if there was more to do.

Anyone who wants a degree in Engineering or Science for a great value. The school is very focused on Math, Physics, and Engineering. The school host a career fair twice a year for students and alumni, with major companies looking for great talent. Not to mention great job placement and great starting salaries right after graduation.

Most of the buildings on campus are built for engineering.

Most of the buildings on campus are built for engineering.

dont be afraid to meet new people. do a lot more studying than you think you should. go to all the school functions you can, they make memories with your friends.

the best thing about my school is the fact that its main focus is on engineering, which is my major. we have a lot of resources dedicated to research and development.

Ben

The majority of my classmates are very willing to form study groups. Most are eager to help if you have problems, and are just generally friendly people. Everyone is just looking to have a good time and make some new friends. I would say that this is one of the closest-knit communities I have experienced on a college campus, and for that I am very grateful.

I would tell myself to just be open to everything. There are so many more experiences I could have had in my college career already if I had been accepting to new people and events. There is a lot that changes from high school to college, and in the beginning I wasn't so accepting of that change. Now that I have have been here almost two full years I am beginning to feel at home here and just generally welcome. I don't think it's the campus that has changed at all, it's just my general attitude about things happening around campus. Friends are important and easy to make, so they should never be shrugged off. In summary, just don't fight the change, because the change will happen whether you are accepting or not.

Travis

If given the opportunity to go back in time and give myself advice there would be one thing I would want to say. Being an honor roll student I wouldn?t need the reminder to work hard. And from being a student athlete as well, it showed me how to manage my time and work hard so that wouldn?t need to be mentioned either. What I would tell myself is to not stress out as much about the decisions I make. I would let me know that, because I?m confident and know what?s right, that wherever I decide to go and do will be a good choice. To not worry about what other people say because they don?t know you like you know yourself. In other words, to sum up what I?m saying is I would make sure I would know to trust and believe in myself.

The best part are the people that I've met. I've made so many new friends which helps when school gets hard. They can bein your classes to help you out or be there to have fun for the times when you need a break from school.

The most frustrating thing can be dealing with teachers sometimes. Every so often I have gotten a teacher that I don't understand because of their accent or their way of teaching isn't very effective so it makes the class harder than it should be.

Caleb

Traveling back in time to advise myself as a high school senior, I would take great pains to express the true amount of physical and mental effort required for college, even as an upcoming freshman. I would advise myself to begin a rigorous research process for each possible department in my college of choice, and through this research discover which department will allow me to utilize my personal abilities in the most effective manner possible. In addition to this research, I would also advise myself to explore the social aspects of campus, touring extracurricular activities and meetings to find a location on campus where I can belong and enjoy myself.

I personally consider Missouri University of Science and Technology (formerly University of Missouri-Rolla) as one of the top universities in the nation. Through the personal help given by each professor, the myriad opportunities for work study, internships, and co-ops even as a freshman, and the opportunities provided to students to participate in extracurricular activities (fencing club, departmental organizations, the university radio stations, etc.) Missouri S&T has created for me personally an ideal learning environment in which I am able to take responsibility for my life.

Before I came to Missouri S&T and college in general, I wish that I had mentally prepared myself for the necessary amount of studying and mental preparation required to succeed in each one of my courses. After succeeding in high school with a minimal amount of studying and mental preparation, I was unprepared, my first semester, for the rigorous self-discipline required of all students here at Missouri S&T. However, with the advent of my second semester, I have laid down a rigid set of personal regulations so I may succeed in all aspects of my education here.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.