Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Joe

Rolla is best known for it's engineering programs.

Rolla is best known for it's engineering programs.

If I were allowed to go back in time and give myself advice, I would tell myself to be more active in extra curricular activities. Academically, I am glad I chose the path I did, but I feel as though I missed out on a lot of social activities by not being very active on campus. In the real world, sometimes it does not matter how good you are academically, but what really matters is how you can relate to people. This is very true for the business world, since a professional has to , one way or the other, have good "people skills".

Doris

Dear Doris, Good college advice Hit those scholarship applications hard. It's painful to see how much money it costs to get a quality education. Yeah you will receive a few scholarships, but it won't be enough. Aside from the scholarships, keep those study habits alive. Those good habits you established have done wonders for me. I didn't have to adapt so much; I only had to build on to what I already did. You think your Senior Year is hard and stressful? High school is nothing compared to college, but I have two vital pieces of advice for you. 1) Don't sweat the small stuff. 2) Everything is small stuff. It's amazing how much this advice will carry you. Instead of worrying about failing that test, think of how much you'll learn from it. Learning is exciting and don't be afraid of it. Embrace the experience. Stay positive and life will be great. Make good friends because they'll help you through hard times and good times. Live with no regret. You don't need a burden like that to root you down while you fly. Have confidence and be free. Good Luck

The professors care about the students. They always make sure that the student can succeed; however, they will offer aid, but they won't make the class easier. The students care about fellow students. A new student can ask a random student on campus for help and the new student can expect to receive that help. This school allows the students to receive a good technical background. This school's reputation is so good that companies come just to hire students from this school. If you work hard at this school, you'll get many rewards.

The classes are hard. Sometimes you feel as if you want to rip your hair out because you don't think you can handle the class. This school has high expectations and a person can feel as if they aren't making it up to the standard. The town is very small so you have to find a way to have fun. You have to seek it out rather than the fun come to you.

Courtney

I would tell myself to be prepared to do lots of studying and really develop the ability to better focus on homework assignments and projects since they are more difficult to complete in college. Some other advice would be to have formed study groups whenever I first started college. I join study groups a lot now that I am upperclassman, and I wished I would have started earlier because they are very helpful. One last thing, I would tel myself to be prepared to fail tests and classes, because at this school, failing really is inevitable at some point and every student here must learn how to overcome it and not be discouraged.

The worst thing about Missouri S&T (formerly University of Missouri - Rolla) is probably their parking policies and procedures and their large lack of parking spaces.

The average income that a student makes in his first job after graduating here is very high. The percentage of students who have a job right after graduating is very high. The curriculum is a lot more dificult than at the average state university since the school is focused on engineering. You cannot just float along easily at this school, you really have to work hard. And we have a lot of school spirit because of our annual St. Pat's celebration that brings thousands to Rolla.

Nicholas

A small, generally conserveative university that does not get along with its surrounding community with few females that tends to push students to their limit (which usually promotes the idea of binge drinking to combat stressful situations).

You are going to have to work much harder in college than you ever have here. Have fun, but don't make stupid choices. Be sure to go to the college you want to go to, and don't go to a college just to be close to some girl. Apply everywhere you can because even if you don't really want to go there, its nice to know that you would be accepted there. Be sure to give back to the community that you choose to go to because it always pays off to do something nice for others. You take your parents for granted - be sure to visit them as often as you can. Finally: keep up your grades, do well, and have fun. ( Just not at anyone else's expence)

The lack of females is quite possibly the worst thing about our shcool. It is on the minds of the men; so they drink more, and it is on the minds of the women; so they act differently. This change of a social dynamic affects the situation with the surrounding town as well as general class interactions. The change in general class interactions leads to decreased learning and increased awkardness in most classroom settings.

Cara

College is an entirely different experience from high school - you are there because you choose to be there, not because you have to be there. You will be more focused, your interest in learning will increase, as will your desire to gain knowlege, and you will find the entire educational process more enjoyable. In addition, as you realize that college is all about YOU - your learning, your knowledge, your future, etc. - you will quickly overcome your fear of looking/sounding "stupid," and you will seek out the advice and expertise of your professors with more frequency, becoming more assertive, as your confidence in yourself and your abilities continues to grow.

If one is unprepared for the workload upon entering S&T, it can be overwhelming. Hence, many students feel they are "in over their heads" when they begin their first semester. Needless to say, I wish I had asked more questions about the academic demands before I started my first semester... I would have saved myself from several weeks of panic and self-doubt!

The workload is highly demanding as S&T is, academically, one of the most difficult universities in the state. Had I been aware of this, I would have been better prepared to deal with this demand my first semester, rather than having to adapt.

Daniel

Even though many people talk down at junior colleges, I first went to one before transfering to a four year university. I felt like it set me up to live on my own and to succeed at the four year university. Before I thought less of junior college and almost went straight to The University of Missouri-Rolla, but by first staying home and going to a junior college I saved money and won't come out of college with quite so many loans. I feel like it was a smart decision and back in high school I shouldn't have worried about it nearly as much.

People who feel like they do a sufficient job in mathematics and science and people who wish to pursue a carrer in engineering.

The school itself is nice, but there isn't much to do. All in all, its a pretty boring location.

Rocky

My classmates are like people just like everywhere else in the world

My classmates are like people just like everywhere else in the world

I would not give myself any advice. College is still school, and it's not fun, but i still get my stuff done just as well and as easily as i did in highschool.

Shelia

In college is on you to remeber all your asignments and work load so hone your organization skills now. Also its not important that you know what you want to do your first year there take a variety of classes to find out what you are really interested in then major in that.

its close to everything so having a car is not important

we have a great research department for psychology

Shalyn

A lot of "nerds," but overall an amazing academic school!

A lot of "nerds," but overall an amazing academic school!

I would tell myself to take school more seriously because it will really come in handy at MS&T. College is not about having a social life so tell your friends we'll have to make up for missed times during the breaks. I would also tell myself that it's going to be a long journey in becoming the doctor I've always wanted to be. Don't get discouraged, keep reminding yourself of the life you will have 12 years from now. And most importantly, I would tell myself to "NEVER give up on your dream."

Somebody who is really serious about their school work. You will no go far if you're a "partier."

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.