Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

John

Our school has a small campus, and that is what I wanted. There are alot of complaints about there being nothing to do, but that is a lie. MS&T formerly UMR recieves great noteriety from college people, but its not your college, its you that will get the job.

THe school is white male, and white female. It's redicilous how much so. The school population of males is 99% white male, actual figure.

Social sterotypes are only true if you made it true. I was very social, and did not fall into nerd catagory, but I saw a few who did. There are not many women, but there are some good lookers, and not many lesbiens. Drinking is true, suicide is true.

Academics here are very difficult, having "tried" at highschool, i thought i was prepared, but i spend a tremendous amount of time doing homework. Class participation is large in smaller classes, and non-existant in large classes.

Nerds, terribel social skills, women are all lesbiens or gigantic, drinking school. Highest suicide rate in missouri schools.

Nathan

Best thing is the teacher involvement with the students. Hard classes become easier because the professors actually want you to learn here, you aren't simply weeded out. The lack of girls is painful, but the degree is worth it.

No girls. That about sums it up.

I was a Nuclear Engineering undergrad. The departmen is small and mismanaged, but the professors under the idiot department head are pretty good. Poorly funded because of him as well. Students are friendly and work together well, no need to compete. The overall requirements here are lower than normal, which means we get more normal people compared to other big engineering departments.

I got drunk alot. There isn't much else to do. Everyone is responsible, most have hard classes and use alcohol to relax. Fraternities kick ass on this campus. If you aren't in one you are probably bored. We drink at the same levels as non-greeks, plus do great things on top of that for the comunity. Without us many people would leave this school.

Nerds, computer freaks, all white males

The campus is pretty small; it's nice to be able to walk across campus, and the trees and gardens always look really nice. There isn't much to do while on campus besides go to class, but there is an awesome park close by, and the dorms have some sand volleyball courts and a swimming pool. The food is awful, but the town caters well to the college student's income; there are plenty of fast food places and more chinese restaurants than you could imagine. There really isn't much school pride as far as athletics goes. as a member of the dance team i can tell you that i perform for a very unenthusiastic crowd at both football and basketball games. despite the lack of enthusiasm by most students, our sports teams are actually pretty good; girls basketball made it to the sweet sixteen this year. the school is mostly focused on academics. when people hear that i go to Missouri S&T they are always impressed. everyone who graduates from this school gets a good job; employers seek graduates from this school because they know that we are hardworking and dedicated. classes are hard, but do-able. The biggest thing on campus is the St. Pats celebration every year. we get 2 days off of school to drink and act rediculous in celebration of the patron saint of engineering. EVERYONE at Missouri S&T celebrates St. Pats. one complaint: the math department sucks. take math classes at columbia college here in rolla if you can.

For a school that contains mainly white males, there are really a lot of groups on campus for minorities. to name a few that i know of, we have the DeVinci Society, Society of Women Engineers, Society of Black Engineers, Christian Campus Fellowship, and Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers. there is a group for pretty much anyone, and i doubt that you wouldn't be able to find a clique here. There are all kinds of ethnicities and religions here. Most people are extremely casual in class. it is not unusual for a person to literally roll out of bed and go to class. no one really dresses up at Missouri S&T, especially girls. if you are a girl and you dress up then you are just asking to get hit on. it seems like most people are from within 150 miles of Rolla-the St. Louis area mostly, but there are a fair share of international students from all over the world.

i don't regret going to this school, but i know people who do. my best friend came with me freshman year and she transferred because she couldn't take the pressure. classes are hard, but it is worth it in the end. if you have a degree from this school there is nothing to stop you from doing whatever you want with your life. you are guarenteed a good job with good pay.

to an extent. there are only 25% women, but going greek will insure that you always have something to do with tons of really awesome people. Missouri S&T has it's share of nerdy people, but it's not like there is no social scene. Boredom is rarely an issue.

The first couple of semesters class sizes are pretty big, probably around 100-150 people. as you split off into your major classes things are more interesting and class sizes dramatically decrease. My favorite class this past semester was Architecural Design because i finally got to learn about designing and constructing buildings, which is what i want to do when i graduate. my least favorite class was differential equations. as i said before, our math department sucks, and there is no applications for diff eq in my major (or probably any major for that matter). generally anyone who goes to this school is an intelligent person. if you aren't smart enough then you will end up transferring to an easier school. students are very competitive. Missouri S&T prepares you for your career and pushes you to the limit as far as challenging you academically.

Greek life is the best way to socialize on campus. we have 3 sororities and about a million fraternities. athletics is another great way to have a social life. through these activities you can meet people not only to hang out with on the weekend and do homework with, but as soon as you get a chance to move out of the dorms you will probably get an apartment with these people. my closest friends are my sorority sisters and the other girls on the dance team. most people who are interested in going to a school aimed at science and technology are more interested in our design teams. we have TONS of design teams from the solar house team to the formula one team to the robotics team. this is another way to meet people who are interested in the same things that you are. the dating scene is minimal if you are a guy and exponential if you are a girl. people party all the time, espically the greek guys. if you have had a crappy day and want to have fun night, there is really nothing to stop you from calling up some people and starting a beer pong tournament. if you don't drink that really isn't a problem. there are all kinds of people here, and plenty of them don't drink. chances are, if you are awake at 2 a.m. on a tuesday you are cramming for a test.

There are no girls, everyone is really nerdy, there is nothing to do besides homework or drink beer

Matt

I like MS&T, I spend most of my time at McNutt because my major is in Metallurgy. The campus is the perfect size and was everything I expected from the school.

It seems that when I got to MS&T the campus was very conservative, but it seems to be getting more and more liberal, which in my opinion sucks because people are getting offended easy, and rules are being strictly enforced. Most kids wear jeans, t-shirt and a hat to class - usually you'll only see people dressed up if they have an interview, presentation, or they are in a fraternity. Most kids are either from Missouri or from out of the country. Usually the only interaction between people are forced for studying, or working together.

The girl to guy ratio is accurate. People that live in dorms do play a lot of video games, but I think that SUB, RHA, and TJHA are giving people more reasons to come out and be social.

Once you get past freshman classes, then teachers get more personal with the students, and the material is more relevant and fun to study. All the physics (23 and 24) and calculus (14, 15, 22) are very impersonal and it doesn't seem like teachers aren't too worried about the students.

I am in a fraternity, and it has been the best choice I've made. I've met some of my closest friends here, and have been giving lots of opportunities that I don't think I would have gotten in the dorms. Unfortunalty some other fraternities perpetuate the bad frat boy stereotype, but it seems to be getting a little better. I don't think that kids that live in dorms understand or know a lot about fraternities and will make fun of us or misjudge us because of it. The dating scene is minimal at best. When I first got to MS&T, it seemed that most guys had girlfriends out of town or out of state. There seems to be more dating inside rolla, but there is little to do after you go to all the good resturants (Applebees) and go to the movie theatre.

Some basic stereotypes include the ratio of girls to guys. Also that guys that live in dorms play lots of video games and aren't very social. There is also some stereotypes that people are alcoholics.

nick

-size is just right -act interested when told about school -my house, civil building, library -not much of a college town; may have a drinking problem -changing the name of the school was a big controversy -only school pride is with athletes, some teachers and some students -st. pat's is unforgettable, but frogettable at the same time -complaints of nothing to do around town, lack of chicks, hard ass classes

-liberal arts students would feel out of place somewhat -clothing differs on background of each student four tables-1. athletes, 2. freshman, 3. African Americans, 4. quad nerds -middle class income mostly, with some well off -everyone always talks about future income

-most girls have ok to decent bodies and ugly ass faces -alot of students are fuckin weird -alot of the buildings need to be remodeled/updated/tore down -def need a Jack in the Box and White Castle

-professors know names well -studying is almost daily -sustainability was my most unique class -meeting with teachers out of the classroom is difficult most times, i try to drop by my advisor once a week -the education is geared toward getting a job and constant learning

-football, soccer, basketball, volleyball -athleticism is not priority to most -dating scene? alot of awkward situations -tuesday 2a.m., studying for test/final, project, or drinking -st. pat's is the best ever -partying occurs whenever there is free time, anytime -staurday night, ummm, bowling, sleeping, movie

nerdy, too many guys, ugly/not enough girls

Adam

the bad: the school's administration is irritating as hell, but i guess it's not much worse than any other school. the name change was a huge waste of money in my opinion. many professors lack good control of the english language. the good: st. pats. class sizes are usually not too large. there is a motocross track just out of town. there is a free rifle range a few miles out of town. better engineering school than mizzou.

not a liberal campus. i'd advise liberals to stay away.

i don't go to class that often, so i wouldn't know. professors are usually understanding when i have to miss class for fsae.

Torry

Fuck the way the school treats athletes. they treat them like shit

Fuck the way the school treats athletes. they treat them like shit

no its just full of fags, so the ratio is dwindled. if you are cool you can hang out with girls

Ash

small atmosphere, small classes

small atmosphere, small classes

mostly white, but there are a lot of foreign echanges

really have to study to get an A but you get a lot of personal attention because of the small classes

not much, except for St Patricks, that is usually a big party

Alex

I love the size of the school. It's not too small or big--I'm able to pass people on campus and say hi but I still don't know everyone. The town wouldn't be very thriving if it wasn't for the college and while there aren't many places to "party," learning to make your own fun is sometimes the best. The most recent large controversy on campus was the name change. While I thought there needed to be a name change, I don't really like the name the school was given. The best thing about Missouri S&T is the people. Since many people here are "nerds" you find a lot of people with common interests and similar personalities. I've made friends here that I hope to stay in touch with for a long time.

The student body seems very accepting of all the different racial, religious, LGBT and other groups on campus. Although it is generally a fairly conservative campus, people are accepting. Students with humanities majors might feel somewhat out of place on campus since they are in the minority. Most students wear comfortable clothes to class. They don't feel a huge need to dress perfectly all the time since most time is spent studying. Mainly t-shirts, jeans, and comfy clothes are the norm. Most students are from Missouri with many coming from the St. Louis area. They are also mostly middle class students.

My school has been so much more to me than just a textbook/classroom education. It's expanded my knowledge of relationships (friends and romantic) and just been my most amazing life experience thus far.

1.The girl is only 25% girls at this point, but the second half is pure opinion 2.There are plenty of business and humanities majors 3.Not unless you completely separate yourself from people

Academics take top priority at Missouri S&T. Classes are nice because they aren't too huge and professors are willing to take the time to help you no matter what. Students are almost always studying because many are engineering majors and that is a tough subject. Students are competitive but not to the point of not getting along with each other because they are trying to out do one another. I feel that the school has very high academic requirements but sometimes asks a little much of it's students as far as projects and assignments go. I also wish I was participating in more hands-on learning.

The biggest disappointment about social life is that most clubs and organizations seem completely run by students in Greek houses. Many of the students are in fraternities or sororities and those that aren't seem to get left out on many social activities. I live off-campus but I have friends in Greek houses so I don't feel quite as left out. When it comes to activities like the St. Pat's celebration, it is imperative to be Greek. My closest friends I met by living in the residence halls on an all-freshman floor my first year. I also met some by just staying up late and going from floor to floor to see what was going on. I'm almost always staying up late either to do work for a class or mess around with friends. We're always finding ways to goof off and have fun. While I only probably "party" about every weekend I know some people are constantly out at Greek houses or the bar or other friends' houses. A Saturday night not spent drinking may be spent doing something as quiet as watching a movie or playing video games all the way to taking a couch out to some land to burn and have a bonfire.

1.There are "no girls" at the school and the girls that are at the school aren't good looking 2.Everyone is an engineering/science/math major 3.People are unsociable

Catherine

Missouri S&T is a great and difficult learning environment that wil challenge even the brightest of students. The campus is a good size, but it would be nice to have bigger lecture halls for the larger incoming classes. Also, repairing the old buildings on campus would give us more accredibility and draw for new students. Most people think that I am somewhat "crazy" for attending Rolla because of its' difficultly reputation. I spend most of my time studying, but I go to the frat/sorority houses, dorm halls, and all around town all the time. I will that there was more to do in Rolla. I come from St. Louis so I am more accustom to people, lights, cars, and entertainment. The administration is good. I think that the biggest controvesy would be the name change. Being a cheerleader, I do not think that there is much school pride in reference to sports, but the students can surely show their pride during St. Pat's! Unusual... you know that you are a Missouri S&T student if your math homework has more letters than numbers! So far there hasn't been too many memories that are that great, maybe the 100th St. Pat's. The teachers do not really seem to care if the students are correctly learning the necessary material for the class. Also the teachers love to have all the tests during the same week, so you might have upwards of three tests in one week. Also I think that there are some teachers that just should not teach because they are not able to convey informatio that well, and then it effects your grades and classes.

I think that all the students at some point feel out of place at S&T because the school really makes you think if the science and engineering is really for them (i.e. the "Weed-out" classes). Most students wear t-shirts and jeans to class. Yes different students interact with each other. For the most part, the students are just regualar people of all races, intellects, and religion. Most students are probably from the St. Louis/ MO area, but the students come from all over! THe financial backgrounds are not that important because most of the student receive finacial aid and/or scholarships. Yes, the students are politically active, and there is a little bit of everything. Yeah,sometimes student will talk about how much they will earn with their awesome engineering degrees!

Some of the professors that care about their students know them by name, but most do not. My favorite class is History 176 with Dr. Ahmad because she actually cared about how her students did in her class. Least favorite classes... I actually have two, Mr. Brigham's Calc I class and Dr. Silvius' Physics 21 class. Class participation... no, for the most part class constists of a teacher talking about equations the whole lecture. YES, Missouri S&T students are intellectual, and have conversations that are usually pretty interesting. Yes, students are very competitive. I haven't really had a chance to take a class that is very unique because I will only be a sophomore in the fall. Well I was originally a dual major in Aerospace Engineering and Physics, with a minor in math, but after physics 21 with Slvius I decided that I would drop physics down to a minor. The professors are not always accessible. I think that the classes would be fine, if they would make sure that the teacher of that class could actually teacher the material correctly. I think that S&T is geared to get a job, but some of the departments curriculum does not allow its students to take co-ops without offsetting there classes by an entire year (Aerospace).

The most popular groups are greek,departmental, and extracurricular activities. I am involved in the Chancellor's Leadeship Academy and we are currently working on green projects for the campus. Yes, most students leave their doors open if they are in the room. RUGBY!!!!!! Dating... think about the famous Rolla ratio. My closest friends are my roommate, and my boyfriends fraternity brothers. I would probably be doing homework or studying. ST. PAT'S WEEK/parade!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the weekends there are parties, mostly at the frat houses. Greek life is largely the social life of Rolla. I sat in hottubs and relaxed after my finals. I also hung out with my friends before leaving Rolla for the summer. People can still go to all the parties, even if they do not want to drink. No one will make you! I just hang out with people when I am not on campus.

We are all "nerds"! We are not as good as MIT

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.