Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Josh

The only good thing about this school is the massive alcohol tolerance of most of its students and St. Pat's day week. The sports, besides women's basketball and soccer, are quite possibly the worst in the country and what's worse is no one cares. My freshman year I didn't even know when the homecoming football game was because there was nothing on campus about it.

The student body is either Frat boy drunks or WEIRD. Picture your idea image of someone working at NASA in the '50's and I have seen him at Rolla. I have also seen a few kids wearing chain mail and caps. Keep in mind this was no where near Halloween, it is a regular occurence. There is a very large foreign population at Rolla which always got me because the professors always talk about stopping engineering jobs from going over seas. Also there are no good women. Well maybe 1% of the whole less thatn 25% female population but they are usually there to find husbands. The rest of them suffer from a commonly referred to condition there called "Rolla Princess Syndrome". That is they feel they are pretty much too good to talk to you if you don't have money or aren't going to graduate and have a job soon. One of my best friends from high school joined a sororiety down there and I maybe see her twice a semester now. Most students are from Missouri around St. Louis from an upper middle class background. Most of them just go there because their dad did and he wanted them to. The only thing that keeps most kids going there is the thought that they will make a lot of money when the graduate. Deep down there are only about 2% of the people there that would not perfer to be somewhere else if they could afford it or it was as close to home.

DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF NORMAL! I let the place suck my soul out for two years before I decided to switch majors and transfer to MIZZOU. Also it's not as great of engineering school as they say. Sure it's the best in the region but they aren't even in the top 75 polls for most of their departments. If you want to be an engineer you will make plenty of money. Spend some extra for college and don't regret being there everyday

All of these are completely true.

MST has some good things going for it here. You can pretty well get to know all your professors with ease, the grad school is great for engineering and the non engineering department staff are some of the nicest most helpful people you will ever meet. I loved biology when I switched majors from aerospace engineering. That being said the rest of the school, specifically engineering, is horrible. Most teachers are out to make you fail and I'm not talking just trying. There are several classes with a combined drop and fail rate of around 20%. Almost any TA you get will be foreign and is incapable of answering a seemingly simple question. The math deparment it HORRIBLE. I have never had such bad teachers in my life. I had to teach myself calculus 1 and 3 because my teachers sucked so bad. There are a few good teachers but if you can, take math somewhere else. On average I had 6 hours of useless homework a night while I was doing aerospace engineering. I could pass the classes but all the teachers made me hate what I was doing so much I quit. The biology and history departments are by far the best on campus. I knew pretty much all of the bio professors within the first 3 weeks I was in the department and they are all really pleasant and knowledgable people to be around. The history department is about the same way. I have never heard of anyone having a bad history teacher there and I loved all of mine. Also, most of them are pretty well regarded in the acedemic community and several of them have some pretty major books.

Social life either involves playing games over the high speed internet or DRINKING. I am much closer to the second. And I am not talking typical college drinking and alcohol tolerance. This is more like the drinking capabilities of Irish dock workers. One time my friends drank with some Aussies and Germans that came for some competition and even they were impressed with there abilities. Frats are a huge part of campus. Every one that does things is either in one or good friends with somebody in one. All the years events lead up to the annual St. Pat's day Celebration, which is pretty much a big drunken 2 weeks when the size of the town doubles. Every other type of social activity besides parties is pretty much nonexistent. Almost everyone who goes to a sports game is either drunk or is friends with one of the players. There is NOTHING to do in the town and it is full of backwoods hicks for lack of a better way to descibe them. You're stuck pretty much an hour and a half from anywhere fun/normal. I'm from a small town myself and didn't really think I'd mind it but it sucks.

Students are book smart but lack almost all common sense applications. Language and communication skills are almost completely lacking. Everyone is either a complete nerd and tool or they go get drunk all the time. Oh and there are these people called swampies that smell like ass. If you have seen the World of War Craft episode of South Park it nails them to a T.

Brad

Add some departments that will attract girls to the school.

Add some departments that will attract girls to the school.

I think we're pretty well balanced.

Some are nerds and yes we need more girls.

Most of the professors are great.

The campus tries really hard to entertain us but we can usually find our own fun by just hanging out with our friends.

We don't have enough girls and we are all nerds.

John

Our school has a small campus, and that is what I wanted. There are alot of complaints about there being nothing to do, but that is a lie. MS&T formerly UMR recieves great noteriety from college people, but its not your college, its you that will get the job.

THe school is white male, and white female. It's redicilous how much so. The school population of males is 99% white male, actual figure.

Social sterotypes are only true if you made it true. I was very social, and did not fall into nerd catagory, but I saw a few who did. There are not many women, but there are some good lookers, and not many lesbiens. Drinking is true, suicide is true.

Academics here are very difficult, having "tried" at highschool, i thought i was prepared, but i spend a tremendous amount of time doing homework. Class participation is large in smaller classes, and non-existant in large classes.

Nerds, terribel social skills, women are all lesbiens or gigantic, drinking school. Highest suicide rate in missouri schools.

Nathan

Best thing is the teacher involvement with the students. Hard classes become easier because the professors actually want you to learn here, you aren't simply weeded out. The lack of girls is painful, but the degree is worth it.

No girls. That about sums it up.

I was a Nuclear Engineering undergrad. The departmen is small and mismanaged, but the professors under the idiot department head are pretty good. Poorly funded because of him as well. Students are friendly and work together well, no need to compete. The overall requirements here are lower than normal, which means we get more normal people compared to other big engineering departments.

I got drunk alot. There isn't much else to do. Everyone is responsible, most have hard classes and use alcohol to relax. Fraternities kick ass on this campus. If you aren't in one you are probably bored. We drink at the same levels as non-greeks, plus do great things on top of that for the comunity. Without us many people would leave this school.

Nerds, computer freaks, all white males

The campus is pretty small; it's nice to be able to walk across campus, and the trees and gardens always look really nice. There isn't much to do while on campus besides go to class, but there is an awesome park close by, and the dorms have some sand volleyball courts and a swimming pool. The food is awful, but the town caters well to the college student's income; there are plenty of fast food places and more chinese restaurants than you could imagine. There really isn't much school pride as far as athletics goes. as a member of the dance team i can tell you that i perform for a very unenthusiastic crowd at both football and basketball games. despite the lack of enthusiasm by most students, our sports teams are actually pretty good; girls basketball made it to the sweet sixteen this year. the school is mostly focused on academics. when people hear that i go to Missouri S&T they are always impressed. everyone who graduates from this school gets a good job; employers seek graduates from this school because they know that we are hardworking and dedicated. classes are hard, but do-able. The biggest thing on campus is the St. Pats celebration every year. we get 2 days off of school to drink and act rediculous in celebration of the patron saint of engineering. EVERYONE at Missouri S&T celebrates St. Pats. one complaint: the math department sucks. take math classes at columbia college here in rolla if you can.

For a school that contains mainly white males, there are really a lot of groups on campus for minorities. to name a few that i know of, we have the DeVinci Society, Society of Women Engineers, Society of Black Engineers, Christian Campus Fellowship, and Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers. there is a group for pretty much anyone, and i doubt that you wouldn't be able to find a clique here. There are all kinds of ethnicities and religions here. Most people are extremely casual in class. it is not unusual for a person to literally roll out of bed and go to class. no one really dresses up at Missouri S&T, especially girls. if you are a girl and you dress up then you are just asking to get hit on. it seems like most people are from within 150 miles of Rolla-the St. Louis area mostly, but there are a fair share of international students from all over the world.

i don't regret going to this school, but i know people who do. my best friend came with me freshman year and she transferred because she couldn't take the pressure. classes are hard, but it is worth it in the end. if you have a degree from this school there is nothing to stop you from doing whatever you want with your life. you are guarenteed a good job with good pay.

to an extent. there are only 25% women, but going greek will insure that you always have something to do with tons of really awesome people. Missouri S&T has it's share of nerdy people, but it's not like there is no social scene. Boredom is rarely an issue.

The first couple of semesters class sizes are pretty big, probably around 100-150 people. as you split off into your major classes things are more interesting and class sizes dramatically decrease. My favorite class this past semester was Architecural Design because i finally got to learn about designing and constructing buildings, which is what i want to do when i graduate. my least favorite class was differential equations. as i said before, our math department sucks, and there is no applications for diff eq in my major (or probably any major for that matter). generally anyone who goes to this school is an intelligent person. if you aren't smart enough then you will end up transferring to an easier school. students are very competitive. Missouri S&T prepares you for your career and pushes you to the limit as far as challenging you academically.

Greek life is the best way to socialize on campus. we have 3 sororities and about a million fraternities. athletics is another great way to have a social life. through these activities you can meet people not only to hang out with on the weekend and do homework with, but as soon as you get a chance to move out of the dorms you will probably get an apartment with these people. my closest friends are my sorority sisters and the other girls on the dance team. most people who are interested in going to a school aimed at science and technology are more interested in our design teams. we have TONS of design teams from the solar house team to the formula one team to the robotics team. this is another way to meet people who are interested in the same things that you are. the dating scene is minimal if you are a guy and exponential if you are a girl. people party all the time, espically the greek guys. if you have had a crappy day and want to have fun night, there is really nothing to stop you from calling up some people and starting a beer pong tournament. if you don't drink that really isn't a problem. there are all kinds of people here, and plenty of them don't drink. chances are, if you are awake at 2 a.m. on a tuesday you are cramming for a test.

There are no girls, everyone is really nerdy, there is nothing to do besides homework or drink beer

Matt

I like MS&T, I spend most of my time at McNutt because my major is in Metallurgy. The campus is the perfect size and was everything I expected from the school.

It seems that when I got to MS&T the campus was very conservative, but it seems to be getting more and more liberal, which in my opinion sucks because people are getting offended easy, and rules are being strictly enforced. Most kids wear jeans, t-shirt and a hat to class - usually you'll only see people dressed up if they have an interview, presentation, or they are in a fraternity. Most kids are either from Missouri or from out of the country. Usually the only interaction between people are forced for studying, or working together.

The girl to guy ratio is accurate. People that live in dorms do play a lot of video games, but I think that SUB, RHA, and TJHA are giving people more reasons to come out and be social.

Once you get past freshman classes, then teachers get more personal with the students, and the material is more relevant and fun to study. All the physics (23 and 24) and calculus (14, 15, 22) are very impersonal and it doesn't seem like teachers aren't too worried about the students.

I am in a fraternity, and it has been the best choice I've made. I've met some of my closest friends here, and have been giving lots of opportunities that I don't think I would have gotten in the dorms. Unfortunalty some other fraternities perpetuate the bad frat boy stereotype, but it seems to be getting a little better. I don't think that kids that live in dorms understand or know a lot about fraternities and will make fun of us or misjudge us because of it. The dating scene is minimal at best. When I first got to MS&T, it seemed that most guys had girlfriends out of town or out of state. There seems to be more dating inside rolla, but there is little to do after you go to all the good resturants (Applebees) and go to the movie theatre.

Some basic stereotypes include the ratio of girls to guys. Also that guys that live in dorms play lots of video games and aren't very social. There is also some stereotypes that people are alcoholics.

nick

-size is just right -act interested when told about school -my house, civil building, library -not much of a college town; may have a drinking problem -changing the name of the school was a big controversy -only school pride is with athletes, some teachers and some students -st. pat's is unforgettable, but frogettable at the same time -complaints of nothing to do around town, lack of chicks, hard ass classes

-liberal arts students would feel out of place somewhat -clothing differs on background of each student four tables-1. athletes, 2. freshman, 3. African Americans, 4. quad nerds -middle class income mostly, with some well off -everyone always talks about future income

-most girls have ok to decent bodies and ugly ass faces -alot of students are fuckin weird -alot of the buildings need to be remodeled/updated/tore down -def need a Jack in the Box and White Castle

-professors know names well -studying is almost daily -sustainability was my most unique class -meeting with teachers out of the classroom is difficult most times, i try to drop by my advisor once a week -the education is geared toward getting a job and constant learning

-football, soccer, basketball, volleyball -athleticism is not priority to most -dating scene? alot of awkward situations -tuesday 2a.m., studying for test/final, project, or drinking -st. pat's is the best ever -partying occurs whenever there is free time, anytime -staurday night, ummm, bowling, sleeping, movie

nerdy, too many guys, ugly/not enough girls

Adam

the bad: the school's administration is irritating as hell, but i guess it's not much worse than any other school. the name change was a huge waste of money in my opinion. many professors lack good control of the english language. the good: st. pats. class sizes are usually not too large. there is a motocross track just out of town. there is a free rifle range a few miles out of town. better engineering school than mizzou.

not a liberal campus. i'd advise liberals to stay away.

i don't go to class that often, so i wouldn't know. professors are usually understanding when i have to miss class for fsae.

Torry

Fuck the way the school treats athletes. they treat them like shit

Fuck the way the school treats athletes. they treat them like shit

no its just full of fags, so the ratio is dwindled. if you are cool you can hang out with girls

Ash

small atmosphere, small classes

small atmosphere, small classes

mostly white, but there are a lot of foreign echanges

really have to study to get an A but you get a lot of personal attention because of the small classes

not much, except for St Patricks, that is usually a big party

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.