Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Catherine

Missouri S&T is a great and difficult learning environment that wil challenge even the brightest of students. The campus is a good size, but it would be nice to have bigger lecture halls for the larger incoming classes. Also, repairing the old buildings on campus would give us more accredibility and draw for new students. Most people think that I am somewhat "crazy" for attending Rolla because of its' difficultly reputation. I spend most of my time studying, but I go to the frat/sorority houses, dorm halls, and all around town all the time. I will that there was more to do in Rolla. I come from St. Louis so I am more accustom to people, lights, cars, and entertainment. The administration is good. I think that the biggest controvesy would be the name change. Being a cheerleader, I do not think that there is much school pride in reference to sports, but the students can surely show their pride during St. Pat's! Unusual... you know that you are a Missouri S&T student if your math homework has more letters than numbers! So far there hasn't been too many memories that are that great, maybe the 100th St. Pat's. The teachers do not really seem to care if the students are correctly learning the necessary material for the class. Also the teachers love to have all the tests during the same week, so you might have upwards of three tests in one week. Also I think that there are some teachers that just should not teach because they are not able to convey informatio that well, and then it effects your grades and classes.

I think that all the students at some point feel out of place at S&T because the school really makes you think if the science and engineering is really for them (i.e. the "Weed-out" classes). Most students wear t-shirts and jeans to class. Yes different students interact with each other. For the most part, the students are just regualar people of all races, intellects, and religion. Most students are probably from the St. Louis/ MO area, but the students come from all over! THe financial backgrounds are not that important because most of the student receive finacial aid and/or scholarships. Yes, the students are politically active, and there is a little bit of everything. Yeah,sometimes student will talk about how much they will earn with their awesome engineering degrees!

Some of the professors that care about their students know them by name, but most do not. My favorite class is History 176 with Dr. Ahmad because she actually cared about how her students did in her class. Least favorite classes... I actually have two, Mr. Brigham's Calc I class and Dr. Silvius' Physics 21 class. Class participation... no, for the most part class constists of a teacher talking about equations the whole lecture. YES, Missouri S&T students are intellectual, and have conversations that are usually pretty interesting. Yes, students are very competitive. I haven't really had a chance to take a class that is very unique because I will only be a sophomore in the fall. Well I was originally a dual major in Aerospace Engineering and Physics, with a minor in math, but after physics 21 with Slvius I decided that I would drop physics down to a minor. The professors are not always accessible. I think that the classes would be fine, if they would make sure that the teacher of that class could actually teacher the material correctly. I think that S&T is geared to get a job, but some of the departments curriculum does not allow its students to take co-ops without offsetting there classes by an entire year (Aerospace).

The most popular groups are greek,departmental, and extracurricular activities. I am involved in the Chancellor's Leadeship Academy and we are currently working on green projects for the campus. Yes, most students leave their doors open if they are in the room. RUGBY!!!!!! Dating... think about the famous Rolla ratio. My closest friends are my roommate, and my boyfriends fraternity brothers. I would probably be doing homework or studying. ST. PAT'S WEEK/parade!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the weekends there are parties, mostly at the frat houses. Greek life is largely the social life of Rolla. I sat in hottubs and relaxed after my finals. I also hung out with my friends before leaving Rolla for the summer. People can still go to all the parties, even if they do not want to drink. No one will make you! I just hang out with people when I am not on campus.

We are all "nerds"! We are not as good as MIT

Sam

The university is a great size for students without vehicles. Most of the buildings are located in the same area which makes it easier to get around (and on time)! Rolla is small town that is ultimately based around the university. While there are some entertainment options available, the town isn't packed full of tourists and heavy traffic. Also, a few large cities are within a 100 mile distance or so, making it easy to find somewhere to hang out on weekends. The most pride on campus comes out around St. Patrick's day. The holiday is not just a day for MS&T students, but an entire week worth of events promoting the patron saint. People come from all around to celebrate St. Pat's with MS&T. Though this sometimes leads us to be called "the drinking school with an engineering problem."

The MS&T student body is comprised of numerous racial and religious backgrounds. Discrimination of any kind is very rare. Most all students feel accepted and at ease amongst fellow peers. There are plenty of activities, both on and off campus, that allow students a chance to socialize. For the most part, students where whatever they want to class. For some presentations students are asked to dress formally, but otherwise the environment is very laid back.

There are many on-campus jobs available for students. Most student hire jobs are flexible and understanding about classes and tests. This is very helpful for full time students still trying to make some extra money.

Many students that attend MS&T don't aim for engineering degrees. This university is full of opportunities that suit many different degree requirements. This is true; more guys attend MS&T than girls, currently. Slowly, more women are joining the campus though!

Most of the professors on campus are very personable and proficient in their areas of study. Class participation is always encouraged, both in and out of the classroom. Online discussion boards are made available for students needing help with homework, as well as help sessions provided by professors. Many students are competitive in class but are still willing to help one another. Professors encourage seeking help from fellow students, to try and get a different point of view.

There are many sororities and fraternities around the MS&T campus that host events. But even students who live in dorm houses have events they can attend. Many groups and activities are available, such as swing dancing, martial arts, and clubs based on degrees. In Rolla, there are some things available for entertainment: movie theater, bowling, skating, skate boarding, go karts, mini golf, swimming, gyms for exercising, and bars that sometimes host musical acts. Also, during the school year there is usually a concert held (around St. Pat's). Groups such as 311, Shinedown, Trapt, Story of the Year, and Modern Day Zero have performed on campus. Comedians are also often hosted for general entertainment. Most friends are met in living quarters and classes. Dorm mates and class mates are often the people around the most, so it's easy to get acquainted. Also, fellow class mates are great study partners.

That all students here are engineers. That men out number women in the student body.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.