Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Robert

My classmates are intelligent, helpful, friendly, and scientifically minded; they all have similar interests in science, engineering, and math, which makes it very easy to find things in common with them.

If I could go back in time and give college advice to myself as a high school senior, I would advise one thing: stop worrying. I spent my senior year of high school in anxiety, stressing over fears of college - how difficult it would be to succeed academically, meet new friends, and live in a new place away from home. I can still remember my last week before I left for college; I felt extremely terrified, as if my life was about to end, and I was barely able to sleep. When I finally moved into my dormitory and my parents left, I was lost; I was alone in a foreign world without any friends. This negative attitude continued for several months; I barely spoke to anyone. However, as time progressed, I began to realize that college isn't so bad unless you make it that way. There was nothing keeping me from having a good experience except for myself and my high school opinions that accompanied me. I changed my attitude, and I became involved in extracurricular activities, making friends. So, to prevent the bad first impressions of college, I would advise my high school self to stop worrying.

The worst thing about S&T is ratio of boys to girls. There is a 3:1 boy to girl ratio. This makes it difficult for male college students to find girlfriends. This also reflects the unfortunate reality that women are not being encouraged to enter the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields of study in college.

Mason

I remember the first day of kindergarten like it was yesterday. I remeber thinking, "I'm READY", had my pencils, crayons, scissors, and mind by me. Then I walked through those exspansive metal doors to a world unknown, I wasn't ready! I saw hundrends of other boys and girls who like me, didnt know a single face there. Terrified is the only word that could describe my state of mind, and body. I quaked and slowly walked, and then tears began to flow down the slope of my innocent cheek... Fastforward to walking into my first lecture at University, and I can tell no difference. If I could give my senior, niave, self one word of advice it would be, "RELAX!". College is going to be walking into a world unknown, but that world wears a mask. Lift that mask, though, and the endless light of oppurtunity will blind you. Keep your chin up, because just like those first days kindergarten when you thought you weren't ready, you actually were.

When I consider the strengths of Missouri University of Science and Technology, three words come to mind: focus, oppurtunity, and knowledge. Missouri S&T is the most STEM focussed school in the state of Missouri. Oppurtunity is a disease here, and infects everyone who survives the 4 years. Professors and faculty are extremely knowledgable in their fields, and well communicate their knowledge to students. Combine all of these aspects and you get a University that produces intellectual, strong, and focussed citizens.

The codition of Missouri S&T is to say lack luster. First of all, there is not enough space for the amount of students on campus. This includes dinning halls, on-campus living, and classrooms. Secondly, students are very competivtive, which causes a huge deal of stress. Lastly, financial aid is hard to come by, even if you have an excellent GPA.I hope that future renevations and policy changes are in store for the University.

Bob

Design teams, frats, sororities, kmnr.

Design teams, frats, sororities, kmnr.

The academics at this school in my opinion are good, at least later on, some of the classes are bullshit, especially the intro classes, which are harder than the later classes,. but there are exceptions. THe classes can be annoying and tough, but theres a lot of help available. THe academics really outweigh everything else like others say, and I pretty much agree, the school is pretty insular in a lot of ways, its pretty much all about engineering, go to class, study, get a job, other areas are pretty much either half assed or ignored. Class sizes are pretty small, you pretty much see the same people around all the time, after starting your major. The classes aren't as bad as people think, it justs takes understanding the material, and then practicing it, people often make a big deal about the classes, even though they are doable, most of them that is, their are some classes here that are really hardd to the point you have to spend a lot of ur time studying. Pretty much though, academics hasn't been been too bad, its pretty either really laid back or really really busy. Its laid back most of the time when there isn't tests during a week or something, also cuz your homework isn't due everyday later on, but still a lot of your time will be spent studying though if you want to get good grades. You actually learn stuff in classes for your major, especially if you dont know much.

Payton

That is simple; I would tell myself to find some way to get into a better high school. I grew up in small town Missouri practically an hour and a half away from any major city. Even though I took the hardest classes available in my school and graduated Valedictorian of my class, I was extremely ill-prepared. My school didn't even have a basic trigonometry or a full calculus class. It was a complete joke. I practically wasted 4 years of my life getting held back by my school system. My parents would have loved to have gotten me out of there if it would’ve been finically reachable. My first two semesters at Missouri S&T were horrible when it came to classwork. I spent nearly every week night with a tutor or study session with others. I have been playing extreme catch up my whole career at college. It has been a struggle but in the end it will be worth it, and I will do whatever I have to make it.

There really isn't a worst part. The school work is extremely difficult but that is expected due to being an engineering school. Besides that there isn't much I can complain about.

The Career Opportunities and Employer Relations Office is what I would brag about the most. This part of my University is a great organization, its co-op and internship program. It allows students to get great experience in the engineering field. Our Career fair has 200 plus employers at it ever semester there just for engineers!

Spencer

Well, first off I would explain to myself the extreme importance of a college education. Then I would say that not studying and playing all the time won't cut it and will not get me anywhere in life. Aslo, don't trust anyone, almost seventy percent of the people you will meet aren't trustworthy at all. Get to know your teachers, if you show them you are interested in their class, they will take interest in you and your needs. Don't be afraid to ask for help, because without it you won't live up to your full potential. Ask questions in class even though you'll feel stupid, because almost everyone else is just as lost as you are and have the same question. Don't cheat, it's not worth it's not worth the ramifications you'll experience if caught. When I say cheating, I mean being a push over and letting your buddy copy your work, but also copying others work. Plan our your days, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Never go home until you have finished everyting for the day, other wise it won't get done.

It's located in a small town that doesn't have a whole lot of nice resturants.

Person that likes to do the minimal amount of work to get by.

Alexis

A school with a reputation for being extremely tough but with a staff and administration that will do anything to help you overcome barriers and be succesful.

Despite the fact that I was a senior only last year, high school still seems like an eternity ago. If I traveled back in time to talk to the naive high school senior version of myself, there would be too much to say but two things stand out in my mind. Most importantly, I would tell myself to not be afraid if I actually start thinking like my mother. My mom always told me to ask questions and during this year I have suddenly realized what she meant. The questions I have asked this year have gotten me better grades, less stressful schedules, and some amazing friends and I will be forever in my mothers debt because of it. The second thing would involve my sister. I would make my past self find my twin sister and I would tell both of them that being apart in college would only bring them closer. I would tell myself that I shouldn't be afraid to make new friends, lose old ones, and even fall in love without her because it's part of growing up and my sister would always be a phone call away. These lessons have made college amazing.

During my first year at college it has become apparent that as students we are diverse in how we have been prepared in highschool. Looking back on my first year of college, I realize that I have been slowly learning that in college you shouldn't compare yourself to others, as long as you learn to move forward with determination you can be successful. I started out at Missouri S&T in a lower math class than I had expected and I wish somebody had told me to just be proud of what I personally had accomplished.

Brett

MS&T certainly seems to have more of a defined identity than most other schools in that they know exactly what it is they excel at: science and technology. As someone who transferred from a university centered in a major metropolitan area, the contrast in environments is pretty stark. I've personally benefitted from the lesser degree of distractions associated with a smaller town, not to imply there's no fun to be had. Nobody celebrates St. Patrick's Day quite like Rolla. Students account for about a third of the city's population, so make friends and have fun.

I'd warn myself of the crippling debt I'll be subjecting myself to by attending a public school on out-of-state tuition. "I understand that dad promises to handle the costs, but that's asking far too much of a divorced and unemployed man of working class means" (because this wasn't obvious enough to my former self, blinded by the idealistic notion of leaving home for something "different"). I would proceed to enumerate the consequences of my irresponsibility: "You'll rack up a tuition bill greater than your cumulative life earnings after two semesters. You'll come home for summer break, optimistic that you'll return in fall. You'll be wrong." So begins the frantic job search. "You'll come to resent the phrase 'prior experience needed'. Options are running slim. You'll join the Air Force Reserve in a futile attempt to mitigate this horrible situation. It won't be enough." That'll bring us to present day. "In following the path of greatest resistance, and while still very heavily indebted, you're finally back in school (one of manageable cost, at that). Save yourself some grief and live within your means, you dumb kid."

It's an engineering school, plain and simple. If you're an aspiring engineer and aim to get the best cost to quality ratio on a college education, this is the place to be.

Cairon

I would tell myself to take more time out to study. I would have to tell myself to prepare for nights that you will be staying up to midnight or pass midnight completing homework or sudying for quizzes and exams. Here in college you have to work for your grade. There is no more smooth and steady and just cruising by through classes. It takes so much out of your own free time to study for tests that are few days away. The material at Missouri University of Science and Technology does not come to you that easy. It takes getting pass your own pride to go get help, that is heavily expressed on campus. There are resource centers, other students, professors, and administrators that are here for you. Even though you may have studied hard for a test it may not result in a good outcome.. There are times that you may be at your lowest because of that test that you did not do well on, but it takes alot to get back up and keep moving forward. Hopefully, on the next test you will show yourself that you have major comebacks for minor set backs.

I wish I would have known that it was going to take alot of hardwork and dedication to maintain great academic status on this campus. It is touigh trying to be an undergrad who is majoring in engineering and at the same time trying to be involve outside of class. 4-6 hours of sleep while trying finish homework or studying for a major test. At Missouri University of Science and Technology I would agree that life is tough on this campus, but the ultimate reward is that this campus builds your character and increase your level of responsibility.

Most of my classmates are really smart and introverted.

Most of my classmates are really smart and introverted.

I would first tell myself to learn better study habits. Just because you don't have to study very much in highschool to get good grades, does not in ANY way mean you won't have to work your butt off in college. I would also encourage myself to use the computer more often because so much of the work in college is on the computer and if you can't do it you are pretty much out of luck. My past self should also have worked harder at learning to make new friends. I would tell my past self that having the same best friend for thirteen years is awesome, but if you go to different colleges it is a little sad. Also, you will need help in college and if you had more people on campus that you could ask for help your life would be alot easier. The big thing is to learn good study habits! Tests are a large percent of your grade and classes are only a semester anyway. Lastly, be sure to remeber that God is always there for you!!

A person that is intelligent and likes to work hard should attend this school. Anyone that wants a degree in a math or science field and is ready to work hard for it.

Justin

I would say that there is nothing that will fully prepare you for the transition from high school to college, but remember to focus on the important things and ignore the distractions right now. Take as many AP courses as you can in high school, trust me it's cheaper and probably easier this way. Also I would tell myself that living on your own is hard but you need to be ready for it, talk to strangers, be more outgoing in high school, it will help prepare you for independence away from your beloved family. But most importantly apply for as many scholarships as you can because you are most likely going to be broke for the next 4-5 years, but being less broke makes a world of a difference.

Somebody who knows that they can put in the effort to get a degree from a university that challenges it's students and as a result has a great track record of getting students great jobs. Smart and commited people should attend this university because you need to be both to make it. A majority of students are studying for an engineering degree so that should play a role as well. Just work hard for four years or more and you will have made the best investment of your life.

The person that shouldn't attend this school is a person that doesn't have any drive to learn something new or commit to studying for long periods of time. This person will also have no desire to get hands on experience and participate in extra curricular student organizations that employees look on favorably.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.