Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Brett

MS&T certainly seems to have more of a defined identity than most other schools in that they know exactly what it is they excel at: science and technology. As someone who transferred from a university centered in a major metropolitan area, the contrast in environments is pretty stark. I've personally benefitted from the lesser degree of distractions associated with a smaller town, not to imply there's no fun to be had. Nobody celebrates St. Patrick's Day quite like Rolla. Students account for about a third of the city's population, so make friends and have fun.

I'd warn myself of the crippling debt I'll be subjecting myself to by attending a public school on out-of-state tuition. "I understand that dad promises to handle the costs, but that's asking far too much of a divorced and unemployed man of working class means" (because this wasn't obvious enough to my former self, blinded by the idealistic notion of leaving home for something "different"). I would proceed to enumerate the consequences of my irresponsibility: "You'll rack up a tuition bill greater than your cumulative life earnings after two semesters. You'll come home for summer break, optimistic that you'll return in fall. You'll be wrong." So begins the frantic job search. "You'll come to resent the phrase 'prior experience needed'. Options are running slim. You'll join the Air Force Reserve in a futile attempt to mitigate this horrible situation. It won't be enough." That'll bring us to present day. "In following the path of greatest resistance, and while still very heavily indebted, you're finally back in school (one of manageable cost, at that). Save yourself some grief and live within your means, you dumb kid."

It's an engineering school, plain and simple. If you're an aspiring engineer and aim to get the best cost to quality ratio on a college education, this is the place to be.

Cairon

I would tell myself to take more time out to study. I would have to tell myself to prepare for nights that you will be staying up to midnight or pass midnight completing homework or sudying for quizzes and exams. Here in college you have to work for your grade. There is no more smooth and steady and just cruising by through classes. It takes so much out of your own free time to study for tests that are few days away. The material at Missouri University of Science and Technology does not come to you that easy. It takes getting pass your own pride to go get help, that is heavily expressed on campus. There are resource centers, other students, professors, and administrators that are here for you. Even though you may have studied hard for a test it may not result in a good outcome.. There are times that you may be at your lowest because of that test that you did not do well on, but it takes alot to get back up and keep moving forward. Hopefully, on the next test you will show yourself that you have major comebacks for minor set backs.

I wish I would have known that it was going to take alot of hardwork and dedication to maintain great academic status on this campus. It is touigh trying to be an undergrad who is majoring in engineering and at the same time trying to be involve outside of class. 4-6 hours of sleep while trying finish homework or studying for a major test. At Missouri University of Science and Technology I would agree that life is tough on this campus, but the ultimate reward is that this campus builds your character and increase your level of responsibility.

Most of my classmates are really smart and introverted.

Most of my classmates are really smart and introverted.

I would first tell myself to learn better study habits. Just because you don't have to study very much in highschool to get good grades, does not in ANY way mean you won't have to work your butt off in college. I would also encourage myself to use the computer more often because so much of the work in college is on the computer and if you can't do it you are pretty much out of luck. My past self should also have worked harder at learning to make new friends. I would tell my past self that having the same best friend for thirteen years is awesome, but if you go to different colleges it is a little sad. Also, you will need help in college and if you had more people on campus that you could ask for help your life would be alot easier. The big thing is to learn good study habits! Tests are a large percent of your grade and classes are only a semester anyway. Lastly, be sure to remeber that God is always there for you!!

A person that is intelligent and likes to work hard should attend this school. Anyone that wants a degree in a math or science field and is ready to work hard for it.

Justin

I would say that there is nothing that will fully prepare you for the transition from high school to college, but remember to focus on the important things and ignore the distractions right now. Take as many AP courses as you can in high school, trust me it's cheaper and probably easier this way. Also I would tell myself that living on your own is hard but you need to be ready for it, talk to strangers, be more outgoing in high school, it will help prepare you for independence away from your beloved family. But most importantly apply for as many scholarships as you can because you are most likely going to be broke for the next 4-5 years, but being less broke makes a world of a difference.

Somebody who knows that they can put in the effort to get a degree from a university that challenges it's students and as a result has a great track record of getting students great jobs. Smart and commited people should attend this university because you need to be both to make it. A majority of students are studying for an engineering degree so that should play a role as well. Just work hard for four years or more and you will have made the best investment of your life.

The person that shouldn't attend this school is a person that doesn't have any drive to learn something new or commit to studying for long periods of time. This person will also have no desire to get hands on experience and participate in extra curricular student organizations that employees look on favorably.

Gage

The other schools I considered do not have the same dedication to hard sciences and engineering that this school does. Missouri S&T has a clear history of science and engineering from the very beginning. Since I am studying for a science degree, this school was a natural fit - not too far away from home, but with a very robust scientific and technical community.

As a high schol senior, I was at a crossroads. I wanted to talk to other people, but I was very afraid, almost like I had a social phobia. At the same time, I wanted to meet new people, but was unsure how to go about doing it. My senior year was the mst miserable time I ever had in my life because of this. What I would tell my former self, given my current experience with college and life in general, is that not everyone is out to get me, and not everyone is evil. Back then, I would have been afraid to ask for help from anyone, but that's a very vital thing to do in college. Making friends, making connections, none of those things would have been possible for me back in high school. I would have told myself how important these skills are, and how to hone them.

The worst thing about this school is the lack of aesthetics, compounded by the geothermal project that is currently being constructed. Some of the buildings are run down, and there is one building on campus that is completely abandoned that new students could ostensibly confuse for the student housing office. With the ongoing construction project, there are mounds of dirt everywhere and some walkways are now confusingly laid out.

Mathias

Missouri University of Science and Technology is a University that is dedicated to creating the best engineers by challenging them with extremely difficult course work while also providing several tools to help you get through to graduation.

I would say to myself: "Mathias, I know you are worried about living on your own, how hard college is going to be, making friends, and all of the added responsibility, and you should be worried about it. I advise you not to worry about living on your own or making friends because the worst part about living on your own is cooking, which you do not have to do, and you will be living so closely to the thirty other students on your floor that there is no way that you will not make friends. What you really need to worry about is how hard college is going to be and the added responsibility. College will be the hardest thing that you have encountered so far. You need to mentally prepare yourself and make sure to focus on your school work by throwing all forms of entertainment out the window. Most importantly, you need to become a lot more organized and use your time more efficiently because you are responsible for a lot in college and you need to make time to get more involved to make yourself a more balanced student."

The best thing about my school is that it is really hard and challenging. This is the best thing about my school because it really helps me to learn the material and prepare me for the real world. My school has also built up a reputation for being a good school because it is so hard which really helps when it comes to finding a job or internship.

Briani

Please make sure to participate as much as possible. Your grades are outstanding so do not worry about them too much. I know that you do not like to be involved in social opportunities, but please believe me that it can do wonders for scholarship applications. I want you to get the most out of your education, so participate much more than you already are.

The school itself is not that bad at all. However, just make sure that one stays focused on the work because it can get hetic.

The work load is bit frustrating to keep up with. The school has high expectations for the students and hope to see them achieve.

Lindsey

My classmates at Missouri S&T are intelligent and ambitious, but we also like to relax and have fun sometimes.

If I could go back in time and advise my younger self, I would tell myself to do a few different things. The first would be to take more dual-credit classes in high school. I transferred in 15 hours from high school work, but I know I could have taken more that would have helped in college. I would also tell myself that college is a place of freedom, which is great, but that freedom comes with a lot of responsibilities. I learned very quickly my first semester that I was going to have to study a whole lot more than I did in high school. I realized I could not just skim over my notes and then be ready for an exam, so I would tell my younger self to take studying in high school a little more seriously. The final thing I would tell my past self is that it is all going to work out. Dorms aren't as bad as I thought they would be, classes are hard, but not outrageous, and friends are easily made if you just step out of your comfort zone a bit.

Adrienne

I would like to tell my self that if you think your social life is going to be abruptly altered in college and that you can remake yourself in college; you are wrong. Yes, people change their values in college but the way you acted in highschool is only almost magnified in college. Also I would tell myself to remember that I am there in college to study. I only say this because I should not have picked a college based on sports opportunities. You will only be playing soccer for 5 more years max. Your future is what you do in the class room. Although it may seem as though soccer is your whole world your grades are what get you the career. I would also tell myself as much as I hated high school: not to forget my highschool friends because when your college friends become annoying you are going to want someone to talk to that is not your parents, and you will need them.

Don't ever think that in coming to this school if you were the smartest in high school that it will be the same here. There will be people smarter than you. Also they never curve grades. and you don;t ever get to use a calculator in math class.

A student who would fit in best at MS&T would be a closet nerd. To be quite honest you should also be interested in persuing an engineering degree so that you will be taking classes with your friends. Almost everyone attending this school is an engineering major.

Please do not wait until the last minute to start writing your first speech. I know it seems as if it won't matter in the long run, but bad habits are hard to break. I promise the world does not come to an end because your second Chemistry grade is not what you will want it to be. You will get through it, and you will be thankful that your professor pushed you to try harder than you ever thought you could. Talk to the people who sit around you. You are going to need them to remind you of what is really important: giving one hundred percent at all times. Make sure you are present for all the little moments. Before you notice it, two years have passed. I told you it was not as difficult as it first appeared. Your teachers are not intimidating; they are wells of wisdom and advice. They love poring into their students. Always take time to speak with them and let them know how much you appreciate their help. And most importantly, do not sweat the small stuff.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.