Rolla, MO
Missouri University of Science and Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Missouri University of Science and Technology

Mary

Everyone at Missouri S&T is driven to succeed, as is necessary for those pursuing a career in science and engineering, and the difficulty of the university creates a unity among students as everyone helps each other to learn and apply their studies.

Missouri S&T was my last choice in university. I am originally from St. Louis and wanted to move as far away as possible. I applied to universities on both coasts, in the south, and in the north; Missouri S&T was the only one within several hundred miles of St. Louis. However, due to financial reasons I ended up attending Missouri S&T. My high school self was disappointed, devastated that my high-reaching plans did not succeed the way I originally intended. The best advice I could have given myself at that point in my life is that each experience is what you make of it. No, things don't always work out the way you plan them. Yes, sometimes life takes an unexpected path despite your great attempts to prevent it. Yet if you commit to that path, make the most of each experience you are given, then things will always work out for the best. I am now very involved on campus, have a part-time job, am participating in undergraduate research this summer, and studying abroad in Hong Kong next fall. Life is what you make of it.

Missouri S&T offers many opportunities to its students that might not be found elsewhere. It truly focuses on preparing students for the professional world and helps them place realistic expectations on themselves and their futures. There are countless ways to get involved on campus and gain experience that is both valuable and applicable in the professional world such as student design teams and other campus organizations. The career fair hosted once each semester allows students to approach companies that are interested in hiring graduates and can obtain both internship and co-ops through this process.

Brennan

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself how to study more efficiently, not to procrastinate, and to stay on top of my classes and scholarship applications. I was forced to learn the hard way how to study, resulting in grades that were much lower than I had expected. I also had a bad tendency of procrastinating during the first semester, and at a university as hard as this one, that won't get me very far. I would make sure that I knew exactly how hard my first semester in college would be, and better prepare myself for the hard times.

The educational value of the classes here surpass any classes I have ever taken. The university holds very high standards when it comes to the quality of our education. The university's classes make sure the students are prepared for anything when entering the work force.

Sean

My school is a place of filled with academic rigor and intelligence.

My school is a place of filled with academic rigor and intelligence.

I would advise myself to spend my time more wisely. Give up the dedication to sports and focus even more on academics. Learn as if it is key to survival. Do not cram for tests but learn the information with the knowledge that it will be vital to success and well-being. Develop strong relationships with your teachers so that when they need someone to rely on, they have you and when you need someone to rely of for help, you have them. Take advantage of the school counselors and their intelligence on college choices and career choices. Take as many college credit classes as possible so you can enter into college ahead of the others and also spend less money on your education. Do not become apathetic with classes or tests even if you know they do not matter. Always strive to do your best and apply for as many scholarships as possible.

You should not attend this school if you don't have a passion for Science, Technology, or Mathematics. Also if you do not have a drive to learn and grow in knowledge, this would not be the right school for you.

My school underwent a name change a few years back, from the University of Missouri-Rolla to Missouri University of Science and Technology, and that change illustrates exactly the traits for which my school is renowned. Missouri University of Science and Technology produces some of the brightest scientific and engineering-minded individuals in this country; we are an island of innovation and science in an otherwise agriculturally-focused state. Our solar car team competes against Ivy League schools. Our student body is diverse. The STEM education here is truly world-class, and student's pride couldn't be higher.

Some of the best advice I could give myself is to practice time management. It's something so simple, but it can be the difference between dirty laundry and clean laundry or an A grade exam and a B grade exam. I had no idea how much time a single subject requires to fully grasp. Another thing I'd like to tell a younger me is to not stress about making friends the first week. Most people are generally friendly, and it's easy to get forced into a group with whom you have a poor connection.

Our student body is more than willing to make room for people of all backgrounds and interests. While it may seem that my school is angled toward a certain type of individual, a niche exists for everyone. If a student desires to learn and to express who they are, Missouri University of Science and Technology will develop and nurture that student's talents. If a student is from another nation, we have a diverse and supportive community to aid in their transition. Further, there isn't a single employer who scoffs at a degree from our university.

kiana

I would advice myself to be very wise and very open minded. Ther is more responsibilities in life than you would think. I would advice myself to stay more focus on my work and being around the right crowd of people. I would advice myself to not fall into peer pressure and not allow negativety to get in my way and hender me from becoming successful. Life is what you make it so make the best of it but do it the right way and become successful.

Sydney

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior my biggest advice would have been to go above and beyond. When I say, go above and beyond, I wish I would of taken high school more seriously and completed more classes that would futher me in my college career, even before starting college. I see students walking around campus half way through their degrees because they took the time as high school seniors to take the writing 121 class or buisness 131. I don't regret the decisions I made in high school because I have come out on top, still attending college where most studnets have lost the drive to want to go to school. I would let my past self know not procrastinate when it comes to school work. Getting behind in college is not a good thing and can quickly get anyone into a lot of trouble trying to catch up. Out of everything, I'd tell my past self to enjoy what college has to offer. Don't be so quick to turn down opportunites, they may lead to bigger and better things.

Levi

The University of Missouri-Rolla if full the best and brightest from all over the world. Like every school there are those who strive to succeed and those who strive to simply get by. This school by far has the most people with not only the intelligence to proceed but also the willingness to grind through every paper, every lab, and every homework assignment with gusto.

The decision you are making right now will shape the entirety of your life. There is no getting this time back. Make a decision and stick to it. There will be those who question your every move so be confident in every decision you make and cling to them like they were words out of the holy book. Invest your time in everything that progresses you to be the best you absolutely can. If it is not beneficial avoid it at all cost. Laziness is a virus. Very contagious and once you have contracted it is impossible to cure. The destination is not the only goal; the last few steps of a journey are not the hardest or the most important. The steps with the most importance are then ones directly in front of you. Be sure to only look at the past like a rearview mirror. If you focus all your attention on it you will crash but if you never look back life will sneak up on you. Most importantly remember the reasons you make every decision. With every choice comes a consequence and some consequences although necessary are difficult to bare.

Being smart is not a requirement to go this school. Having intelligence and the ability to learn is another story all together. To thrive at this institution it is necessary to want success more than you want the benefit of the diploma. Laziness is more than frowned upon it is shunned similar to a leper by both peers and more importantly professors. The outcome as to exactly how lazy beings are treated at this school can be inferred by this. Overall the only necessity to conquer this school is the willingness to do whatever it takes for every assignment.

My classmates are all highly motivated in math and science and could be easily described as "nerds".

Congratulations on surviving to your senior year of high school. I know that being a senior has given you a sudden burst of confidence, mainly because you no longer have to be intimidated by upperclassmen. My advice is to hold on to that confidence. Don’t be ashamed of the fact that you love calculus, embrace it. Also, stay focused on school and don’t stress about other things too much. I know you feel like you have to be a perfect dancer or a perfect flutist. What you will realize as you begin college is that those activities were merely ways for you to express your creative energy. Let’s face it there is no way you could survive the stressful life of a performing artist. You have always excelled in academics and your place in life is a steady career where you can apply all that you have learned. College will get you there. So, don’t be scared of moving so far from home, being at Missouri S&T will only increase your burst of confidence and help you realize that you have the strength to tackle life’s many challenges. Have fun and good luck!

The best thing about my school is the fact that most of the students here are people who actually enjoy subjects like math, which many people despise. Math has always been one of my favorite subjects and being around other people who enjoy it as well has allowed me to find confidence in myself and realize that liking math is a great thing that I should be proud of istead of something I should hide.

Lori

Lori, You are naive and sheltered. Please listen closely. You will have four beautiful children in your lifetime, and you will love them with every ounce of your being. There will be nothing you won't do for them. Please spend the next years studying--you will need money to truly enjoy life, and to give your babies the life and example they deserve. I love you, Longo P.S. You will have 3 girls and 1 boy. Cherish them always.

chelsea

If i was able to go back in time and tell myself about college i would tell myself to learn time management. When your in high school you have people telling you what to do, bells signal when you shoud leave and go to class, et. In college you don't have that you have to rely on yourself and if you hvae poor time management, its really hard.

Missouri University of Science and Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.