Missouri University of Science and Technology

« See more reviews of Missouri University of Science and Technology

The student body is either Frat boy drunks or WEIRD. Picture your idea image of someone working at NASA in the '50's and I have seen him at Rolla. I have also seen a few kids wearing chain mail and caps. Keep in mind this was no where near Halloween, it is a regular occurence. There is a very large foreign population at Rolla which always got me because the professors always talk about stopping engineering jobs from going over seas. Also there are no good women. Well maybe 1% of the whole less thatn 25% female population but they are usually there to find husbands. The rest of them suffer from a commonly referred to condition there called "Rolla Princess Syndrome". That is they feel they are pretty much too good to talk to you if you don't have money or aren't going to graduate and have a job soon. One of my best friends from high school joined a sororiety down there and I maybe see her twice a semester now. Most students are from Missouri around St. Louis from an upper middle class background. Most of them just go there because their dad did and he wanted them to. The only thing that keeps most kids going there is the thought that they will make a lot of money when the graduate. Deep down there are only about 2% of the people there that would not perfer to be somewhere else if they could afford it or it was as close to home.

MS&T's student body is not very diverse. 80% of the students are probably white guys from around Missouri. A lot of these guys are stereotypical "nerd." This can lead to a lot of ignorance about other ideas. MS&T's entrance requirements are pretty low, so there isn't much exclusivity to any body. St. Louis gives MS&T the largest amount of students, but Kansas City and Columbia both contribute. Most students are from Missouri, but I have met some from bordering states as well. There are far more guys than girls. If you are a guy looking for a fun social life in college, do not come here. Many of the students are conservative, there some middle and left students too. Just like most colleges, many students think they are right on several issues but they can't argue based on actual facts instead of beliefs. Jobs and salaries for future employment are discussed often.

For a school that contains mainly white males, there are really a lot of groups on campus for minorities. to name a few that i know of, we have the DeVinci Society, Society of Women Engineers, Society of Black Engineers, Christian Campus Fellowship, and Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers. there is a group for pretty much anyone, and i doubt that you wouldn't be able to find a clique here. There are all kinds of ethnicities and religions here. Most people are extremely casual in class. it is not unusual for a person to literally roll out of bed and go to class. no one really dresses up at Missouri S&T, especially girls. if you are a girl and you dress up then you are just asking to get hit on. it seems like most people are from within 150 miles of Rolla-the St. Louis area mostly, but there are a fair share of international students from all over the world.

I think that all the students at some point feel out of place at S&T because the school really makes you think if the science and engineering is really for them (i.e. the "Weed-out" classes). Most students wear t-shirts and jeans to class. Yes different students interact with each other. For the most part, the students are just regualar people of all races, intellects, and religion. Most students are probably from the St. Louis/ MO area, but the students come from all over! THe financial backgrounds are not that important because most of the student receive finacial aid and/or scholarships. Yes, the students are politically active, and there is a little bit of everything. Yeah,sometimes student will talk about how much they will earn with their awesome engineering degrees!

They're geeky, but they're ALL geeky, so it's not a bad thing. As I said before, If you're a geeky, nerdy, engineering-type of person, you will love the social life here. We're in the bible belt, but surprisingly enough, the campus is still fairly liberal. Beer, Guns, and building things are the general recreation of choice. The overwhelming political attitude is heavily libertarian/ conservative. Religion is tolerated by most, but embraced by few. Most students are agnostic and/or undecided about their religious beliefs. The overwhelming majority of students come from working-class families, and value hard work, responsibility, and self-reliance.

The student body seems very accepting of all the different racial, religious, LGBT and other groups on campus. Although it is generally a fairly conservative campus, people are accepting. Students with humanities majors might feel somewhat out of place on campus since they are in the minority. Most students wear comfortable clothes to class. They don't feel a huge need to dress perfectly all the time since most time is spent studying. Mainly t-shirts, jeans, and comfy clothes are the norm. Most students are from Missouri with many coming from the St. Louis area. They are also mostly middle class students.

The MS&T student body is comprised of numerous racial and religious backgrounds. Discrimination of any kind is very rare. Most all students feel accepted and at ease amongst fellow peers. There are plenty of activities, both on and off campus, that allow students a chance to socialize. For the most part, students where whatever they want to class. For some presentations students are asked to dress formally, but otherwise the environment is very laid back.

There is no dress code at MS&T, at least not a very stringent one. One student may always wear sleepwear pants and flip flops to class while others wear polo shirts and khakis daily. The biggest problem with the Student body is the gender spread, At least 2/3 male. Most of the females are already dating or uninterested so don't come to MS&T as a guy looking for a date.

The University of Missouri-Rolla if full the best and brightest from all over the world. Like every school there are those who strive to succeed and those who strive to simply get by. This school by far has the most people with not only the intelligence to proceed but also the willingness to grind through every paper, every lab, and every homework assignment with gusto.

The majority of my classmates are very willing to form study groups. Most are eager to help if you have problems, and are just generally friendly people. Everyone is just looking to have a good time and make some new friends. I would say that this is one of the closest-knit communities I have experienced on a college campus, and for that I am very grateful.