Missouri University of Science and Technology

« See more reviews of Missouri University of Science and Technology

If you are considering coming to MS&T, you must really weigh how important academics are compared to everything else. Academics are close to top notch, but that is the only good thing about this school. I thought academics would outweigh everything for me, but I have learned after three years here that is not the case. This town will try to crush your spirit. I have not been beaten by the academics, I have a 4.0 GPA doing a double major of tough coursework who will graduate after two more semesters. The lack of a decent social experience, the crushing oppression of local business, and general ignorance and stupidity of the townsfolk have made this experience unbearable. Think hard before coming here!

My college is a public university, but feels more like a private institution. We may have numerous students, but it's the perfect amount considering our ideal student-to-faculty ratio. Every teacher I had this semester knew my name and wanted me to succeed in their class. I'm comfortable emailing them or meeting them during their office hours because I can sense that they enjoy the time they use to converse with their students and help them understand difficult material. I also love that because everyone is an engeering major, we're all eager to help one another.

MS&T certainly seems to have more of a defined identity than most other schools in that they know exactly what it is they excel at: science and technology. As someone who transferred from a university centered in a major metropolitan area, the contrast in environments is pretty stark. I've personally benefitted from the lesser degree of distractions associated with a smaller town, not to imply there's no fun to be had. Nobody celebrates St. Patrick's Day quite like Rolla. Students account for about a third of the city's population, so make friends and have fun.

What makes the Missouri S&T unique is the courses that the students take. The campus is predominantly engineering majors, which means the majority of campus is taking/has taken the same courses you are in. Everyone is usually very helpful, as they know the amount of stress you are going through. Also, Missouri S&T has a high job placement for engineering majors. The career fair that takes place every semester is a great way to promote yourself or find a job because hundereds of engineering firms and companys come to our career fair to hire students.

This school sets a higher standard for research and break throughs in technology, which allows the student body to participate in break throughs that might not be witnessed otherwise. The amount of research the school stresses makes it capable for the student design and research teams to function and compete on a national level agianst other college schools and win upper tier podium finishes. The lessons learned from the design and research of the projects for the teams helps the members further into their lives as they look to comapnies for employment.

It is a great school for academics. I am really glad I graduated from the school. I do feel like I missed out on some social aspects because I transferred. If I had to do it over again, knowing that I would have been an engineer, I would have applied to other schools. Then I might have had a better social life. The reason other engineering schools fare better socially is because they have other majors (business, arts and sciences, etc.) to help offset the "nerdiness" of the school. Keep that in mind when visiting schools.

This isn't a school. It's a publicity and money machine. If you can't teach yourself, you'll be completely miserable here. For ever 1 teacher that cares about you and is easy to learn from there are 20 that couldn't care less about you and are near impossible to understand. If you can understand multiple extremely thick foreign accents then you might do well. The school and faculty are incredibly unorganized, unsympathetic, and plain uncaring. A student is nothing but a dollar sign at this school.

Missour S&T is one of the highest ranked engineering colleges in the United States. Unlike some of my other options, it is ranked within the top 5 highest ranked engineering colleges in the nation. Due to its large engineering community, Missouri S&T is widely known for it St. Patricks day celebration. Since St. Patrick is the Patron saint of engineers, St. Patricks day is largely celebrated in this community. S&T is also know for it's on campus nuclear reactor and experimental mine.

I attend the University of Portland, it is unique in that it provdies a lot of opportunities for study abroad (50% of students study abroad) and for education majors it allows you to work with classrooms as early as freshman year (most schools wait until senior year). It is also great in that they really encourae service, and provide a lot of opportunities to volunteer in the local community of Norh Portland, as well as areas around the country and abroad.

DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF NORMAL! I let the place suck my soul out for two years before I decided to switch majors and transfer to MIZZOU. Also it's not as great of engineering school as they say. Sure it's the best in the region but they aren't even in the top 75 polls for most of their departments. If you want to be an engineer you will make plenty of money. Spend some extra for college and don't regret being there everyday