Missouri University of Science and Technology

« See more reviews of Missouri University of Science and Technology

MST has some good things going for it here. You can pretty well get to know all your professors with ease, the grad school is great for engineering and the non engineering department staff are some of the nicest most helpful people you will ever meet. I loved biology when I switched majors from aerospace engineering. That being said the rest of the school, specifically engineering, is horrible. Most teachers are out to make you fail and I'm not talking just trying. There are several classes with a combined drop and fail rate of around 20%. Almost any TA you get will be foreign and is incapable of answering a seemingly simple question. The math deparment it HORRIBLE. I have never had such bad teachers in my life. I had to teach myself calculus 1 and 3 because my teachers sucked so bad. There are a few good teachers but if you can, take math somewhere else. On average I had 6 hours of useless homework a night while I was doing aerospace engineering. I could pass the classes but all the teachers made me hate what I was doing so much I quit. The biology and history departments are by far the best on campus. I knew pretty much all of the bio professors within the first 3 weeks I was in the department and they are all really pleasant and knowledgable people to be around. The history department is about the same way. I have never heard of anyone having a bad history teacher there and I loved all of mine. Also, most of them are pretty well regarded in the acedemic community and several of them have some pretty major books.

Some of the professors that care about their students know them by name, but most do not. My favorite class is History 176 with Dr. Ahmad because she actually cared about how her students did in her class. Least favorite classes... I actually have two, Mr. Brigham's Calc I class and Dr. Silvius' Physics 21 class. Class participation... no, for the most part class constists of a teacher talking about equations the whole lecture. YES, Missouri S&T students are intellectual, and have conversations that are usually pretty interesting. Yes, students are very competitive. I haven't really had a chance to take a class that is very unique because I will only be a sophomore in the fall. Well I was originally a dual major in Aerospace Engineering and Physics, with a minor in math, but after physics 21 with Slvius I decided that I would drop physics down to a minor. The professors are not always accessible. I think that the classes would be fine, if they would make sure that the teacher of that class could actually teacher the material correctly. I think that S&T is geared to get a job, but some of the departments curriculum does not allow its students to take co-ops without offsetting there classes by an entire year (Aerospace).

As mentioned above, the academics are the reason people come to this school. As a computer science and mathematics major, I know the degrees I'm getting rival any school in the Midwest. I have worked with students in computer science from other universities and I was far ahead of them in terms of knowledge. Several of my professors know me personally and I have been asked to do a lot of work for the Computer Science department. You won't get to know all of your professors. No college can offer that. You will be challenged. The career fair held every year helps students get high paying internships and for graduating students, jobs for after college. Computer Science is a very solid department. Surprisingly, most of my favorite classes come from the humanities or social sciences. Those departments have some of the best teachers on campus. You will feel emotionally invested in some of those classes. Academia is the best thing about MS&T.

The first couple of semesters class sizes are pretty big, probably around 100-150 people. as you split off into your major classes things are more interesting and class sizes dramatically decrease. My favorite class this past semester was Architecural Design because i finally got to learn about designing and constructing buildings, which is what i want to do when i graduate. my least favorite class was differential equations. as i said before, our math department sucks, and there is no applications for diff eq in my major (or probably any major for that matter). generally anyone who goes to this school is an intelligent person. if you aren't smart enough then you will end up transferring to an easier school. students are very competitive. Missouri S&T prepares you for your career and pushes you to the limit as far as challenging you academically.

The academics are the best. I transferred from another school to MS&T and the cirriculum was more demanding and more difficult. I just graduated and I feel prepared. I also accepted a job offer in January (I graduated in May). It is easier to get a job becuase of the school's reputation and the career center (it is a top ranked COC). Most of the professors are easy to get along with. There is the occasional professor who is a pain to get along with. I got a degree in architectural engineering and most people don't understand the difference between architecture and architectural engineering. In this field, there is limited design. Students should know what they are getting into before they pick a major.

Academics take top priority at Missouri S&T. Classes are nice because they aren't too huge and professors are willing to take the time to help you no matter what. Students are almost always studying because many are engineering majors and that is a tough subject. Students are competitive but not to the point of not getting along with each other because they are trying to out do one another. I feel that the school has very high academic requirements but sometimes asks a little much of it's students as far as projects and assignments go. I also wish I was participating in more hands-on learning.

First of all, be prepared for many foreign professors in the math department. I've had 2 Polish profs and a Chinese prof plus a Chinese TA and an Indian TA. Sometimes the accents can be a bit of a challenge. I actually formed a friendship with a professor of Psychology and we spoke after class nearly every class period. Classes are much harder than high school. I'm sure there are some students who can continue to breeze by, but the majority of students must put in many hours of effort, especially in Math and Engineering classes.

Academics at MST are BRUTAL, even by engineering school standards. There is no question about what you can do with a degree from MST, You can GET A JOB. You will not learn anything here that you don't need to know to pass the Professional Engineering Exam. Many people take 6 or more years to finish a 4 year degree, due to the strenuous work load. It is common (and Acceptible) for 90% or more of the students in some classes to fail. Without question however, a Missouri S&T Degree will get you a job, in your field, right out of college.

Most of the professors on campus are very personable and proficient in their areas of study. Class participation is always encouraged, both in and out of the classroom. Online discussion boards are made available for students needing help with homework, as well as help sessions provided by professors. Many students are competitive in class but are still willing to help one another. Professors encourage seeking help from fellow students, to try and get a different point of view.

You will always be able to stumble upon the resident intellectual that will hold a conversation about the most nerd-related things. But then, that's who we are. Professors are up to talk to you if you need, student aids are more of those who teach you early on in math. Math here sucks, I won't put it bluntly. If you were good in high school, it's just that- were. Don't come in thinking you know what you're doing, you will only put yourself in a bad mood come your first exam.